WR Production
-
WR
Player REC YDS YDS/REC LNG TD 72 1250 17.4 75 5
59 640 10.8 42 2
18 181 10.1 23 0 10 99 9.9 41 1 ............... So here are the stats for our top 4 WR's.
The leading receiver is Njoku with 81. Between Moore and Tillman is Jerome Ford with 42. (Ford's got a lot of receptions) And between Tillman and Bell are Kareem Hunt (14), Harrison Bryant (13) and Jordan Atkins (12).
Elijah Moore took a nasty head to the ground hit after his last reception resulting in a seizure. There are some telling him to retire right now...so we don't know what his status will be going forward. Let's assume the worst-case scenario, Moore is done for the year. Gulp....so who's that leave us to compliment Cooper and Njoku? I mean Tillman is averaging 1 catch per game and Bell is at about a half reception per game.
We're a passing team. Make no mistake about it. With Chubb and 3 Tackles out...we can't run. Flacco, Cooper, Njoku, Moore and the defense have us where we are (and the RBs receiving contributions). I feel like we absolutely need Elijah Moore on the playoff field to have a chance at beating playoff teams.
-
@orion I think the stats are a bit misleading. Tillman and Bell were used hardly at all in the beginning of the season. It was Moore and Goodwin behind Coop. It was not until Flacco came that Tillman started to shine. Bell, who is clearly behind Cedric in the order, only got some reps when Goodwin was injured. If those stats could be filtered to the last 5 or so games, it paints a different picture. I am fairly comfortable with Tillman as our WR2, with Bell and Goodwin behind him depending on the play.
Much of the above also goes for Akins. I think we might consider running more 2TE sets, which could both help with rushing and fits with our tendency to run play action.
-
Harrison Bryant has good hands. I think we can lean on him a bit more.
-
@orion I think the stats are a bit misleading. Tillman and Bell were used hardly at all in the beginning of the season. It was Moore and Goodwin behind Coop. It was not until Flacco came that Tillman started to shine. Bell, who is clearly behind Cedric in the order, only got some reps when Goodwin was injured. If those stats could be filtered to the last 5 or so games, it paints a different picture. I am fairly comfortable with Tillman as our WR2, with Bell and Goodwin behind him depending on the play.
Much of the above also goes for Akins. I think we might consider running more 2TE sets, which could both help with rushing and fits with our tendency to run play action.
Cedric in the order, only got some reps when Goodwin was injured
Goodwin has 4 receptions for the season.
...I agree, the stats for the last 5 games (or since Flacco took over) would paint a different picture. That's why I stated that we're a passing team. Heck, the last 5 games would probably show us as the worst running team in the league. Thus my concern for the WR position...and my concern for the 3rd leading receiver, Moore. Once you get past him, and the RB position (Ford & Hunt account for 56 receptions), it gets kinda' thin in terms of production. And I don't have the confidence in the next tier group of guys that someone is all of a sudden become, Hey, look at me, I'm good now.
I would like to see Stef stay in that Old School / Anti Analytics play calling mode in the playoffs. Take any points that presents itself. Don't try to stretch a FG into a TD by going for it if it's over QB sneak length. Value the points. The FG is not minus 4. It's plus 3. Even with this new kicker (unless proven that he's untrustworthy).
-
Saw that Moore is practicing, that probably means he’ll be back for the wild card game.
-
@orion look at the snap counts on PFR. Both Tillman and Bell's increased significantly in the 2nd half of the season, which obviously skews their stats for the whole season. I have been kind of meh about both Moore and Goodwin since their acquisition, but you know how much Stef and Berry love their speed guys and I suppose you have to have at least one of those. Anything beats the 'Schwartz that shall not be named further!'
So with Tillman and Bell behind Coop, along with Goodwin, on top of 3 TEs and a couple of backs to throw to, I am happy with the targets Joe has at his disposal.
The running game is a far greater concern, which is probably largely due to our degraded Line due to all the injuries. That's why I have been beating the dead horse about the possible signing of an addition.
I would like to see Stef stay in that Old School / Anti Analytics play calling mode in the playoffs. Take any points that presents itself. Don't try to stretch a FG into a TD by going for it if it's over QB sneak length. Value the points. The FG is not minus 4. It's plus 3.
You and me both!
-
@orion look at the snap counts on PFR. Both Tillman and Bell's increased significantly in the 2nd half of the season, which obviously skews their stats for the whole season. I have been kind of meh about both Moore and Goodwin since their acquisition, but you know how much Stef and Berry love their speed guys and I suppose you have to have at least one of those. Anything beats the 'Schwartz that shall not be named further!'
So with Tillman and Bell behind Coop, along with Goodwin, on top of 3 TEs and a couple of backs to throw to, I am happy with the targets Joe has at his disposal.
The running game is a far greater concern, which is probably largely due to our degraded Line due to all the injuries. That's why I have been beating the dead horse about the possible signing of an addition.
I would like to see Stef stay in that Old School / Anti Analytics play calling mode in the playoffs. Take any points that presents itself. Don't try to stretch a FG into a TD by going for it if it's over QB sneak length. Value the points. The FG is not minus 4. It's plus 3.
You and me both!
@orion look at the snap counts on PFR. Both Tillman and Bell's increased significantly in the 2nd half of the season, which obviously skews their stats for the whole season. I have been kind of meh about both Moore and Goodwin since their acquisition, but you know how much Stef and Berry love their speed guys and I suppose you have to have at least one of those. Anything beats the 'Schwartz that shall not be named further!'
So with Tillman and Bell behind Coop, along with Goodwin, on top of 3 TEs and a couple of backs to throw to, I am happy with the targets Joe has at his disposal.
The running game is a far greater concern, which is probably largely due to our degraded Line due to all the injuries. That's why I have been beating the dead horse about the possible signing of an addition.
You and me both!
Goodwin is a massive disappointment, expected a lot more from him. Especially now with Flacco dicking it vertically every other throw you’d think the speed guy would get separation more often.
I kinda wish we had DPJ with Flacco, I think he’d be a bigger contributor than Tillman - he can get jump balls and finish his routes.
-
@orion look at the snap counts on PFR. Both Tillman and Bell's increased significantly in the 2nd half of the season, which obviously skews their stats for the whole season. I have been kind of meh about both Moore and Goodwin since their acquisition, but you know how much Stef and Berry love their speed guys and I suppose you have to have at least one of those. Anything beats the 'Schwartz that shall not be named further!'
So with Tillman and Bell behind Coop, along with Goodwin, on top of 3 TEs and a couple of backs to throw to, I am happy with the targets Joe has at his disposal.
The running game is a far greater concern, which is probably largely due to our degraded Line due to all the injuries. That's why I have been beating the dead horse about the possible signing of an addition.
You and me both!
Goodwin is a massive disappointment, expected a lot more from him. Especially now with Flacco dicking it vertically every other throw you’d think the speed guy would get separation more often.
I kinda wish we had DPJ with Flacco, I think he’d be a bigger contributor than Tillman - he can get jump balls and finish his routes.
I kinda wish we had DPJ with Flacco
Perhaps in the afterlife we can run that scenario.
Production wise they were about the same...a catch or two a game. Of course, right now, the ceiling is unclear for Tillman...he's only a rookie. Bell however, seems to need a defender to fall down to catch a pass of substance.
-
I kinda wish we had DPJ with Flacco
Perhaps in the afterlife we can run that scenario.
Production wise they were about the same...a catch or two a game. Of course, right now, the ceiling is unclear for Tillman...he's only a rookie. Bell however, seems to need a defender to fall down to catch a pass of substance.
-
He's caught 10 passes and still hasn't passed the 100 yard mark... with a 41 yard reception in the mix. (that's the one where the defender fell down)
That's almost impressive.
At least they've drafted receivers. They understand the problem.
-
I'm honestly shocked that David Bell hasn't produced more. I was happy when they drafted him.
I'm honestly shocked that David Bell hasn't produced more. I was happy when they drafted him.
I am disappointed as well. I think the guy has good enough hands. His feet are the problem. He just can't get open. He is just a little too slow in straight line speed and isn't a quick twitch guy who can get open because his movements are fast. Some guys can start, turn, stop on a dime. David is more like a guy who can do it on a large tractor tire.
-
Giving Bell a pass/fail grade without any type of consistency from the QB spot is a rough go of things.
Especially when he should be occupying that Z or off-ball receiver spot. He doesn't quite have the suddenness and strength to his game that would allow him to play a more "classic" X role like Tillman. And this front office clearly felt Moore was a priority by trading for him and immediately inserting him in the lineup. Not that I blame them for doing as much, but Moore gets snaps where Bell would be getting them. And, as I've said most of the season, using Moore on the outside, especially in the manner they have with him being tagged and/or converting those outside routes vertical, is just a misuse of his proper abilities.
Bell is a smooth strider who needs space to get going, but when he has it he can read and leverage himself well. At least, that was his forte at Purdue. He always reminded me a good bit of Jabar Gaffney. That's the type of receiver, especially giving the salary crunch issues, you want on your team because of his quiet effectiveness.
Moving on from him so early, especially with Moore's future in question because of his last concussion, is premature.
-
Giving Bell a pass/fail grade without any type of consistency from the QB spot is a rough go of things.
Especially when he should be occupying that Z or off-ball receiver spot. He doesn't quite have the suddenness and strength to his game that would allow him to play a more "classic" X role like Tillman. And this front office clearly felt Moore was a priority by trading for him and immediately inserting him in the lineup. Not that I blame them for doing as much, but Moore gets snaps where Bell would be getting them. And, as I've said most of the season, using Moore on the outside, especially in the manner they have with him being tagged and/or converting those outside routes vertical, is just a misuse of his proper abilities.
Bell is a smooth strider who needs space to get going, but when he has it he can read and leverage himself well. At least, that was his forte at Purdue. He always reminded me a good bit of Jabar Gaffney. That's the type of receiver, especially giving the salary crunch issues, you want on your team because of his quiet effectiveness.
Moving on from him so early, especially with Moore's future in question because of his last concussion, is premature.
Moving on from him so early, especially with Moore's future in question because of his last concussion, is premature.
You can't move on from him now, of course, but if in the offseason the Browns bring in a legit veteran and perhaps use another 2nd-4th pick on a WR, I could totally see his days being limited. He's a second year player on a team whose WR room consists of Cooper and a whole bunch of JAGs, and he still can't sniff the field.
-
Moving on from him so early, especially with Moore's future in question because of his last concussion, is premature.
You can't move on from him now, of course, but if in the offseason the Browns bring in a legit veteran and perhaps use another 2nd-4th pick on a WR, I could totally see his days being limited. He's a second year player on a team whose WR room consists of Cooper and a whole bunch of JAGs, and he still can't sniff the field.
You can't move on from him now, of course, but if in the offseason the Browns bring in
...and you know they'll be looking at that wr room for possible upgrade. He'll once again have competition in camp next year.
-
Flacco's not getting enough credit for putting the ball on the money, hitting his targets in stride in top speed forward motion. (Njoku/Cooper/Moore)
11-20-23 Joe signed, and started practicing with some core guys..Flacco wasn't named a starter until at Rams week 13.. Dec. 14th (under a month)
Bell,Tillman,Goodwin still don't get many reps with Moore & Coop still practicing ..
Stef possesses a WR3 that all bring differing change-ups
to his play calling schemes
AnD THat's been g?d EnougH !
-
You can't move on from him now, of course, but if in the offseason the Browns bring in
...and you know they'll be looking at that wr room for possible upgrade. He'll once again have competition in camp next year.
...and you know they'll be looking at that wr room for possible upgrade. He'll once again have competition in camp next year.
I would hope they would extend Cooper, maybe a three year deal.
I doubt Goodwin would be back, he has all of what.... four receptions? I think Moore will be on his last year of his rookie contract.
I'd like a speedy slot guy to complement Cooper and the bigger Tillman in the draft.
-
I'm honestly shocked that David Bell hasn't produced more. I was happy when they drafted him.
I am disappointed as well. I think the guy has good enough hands. His feet are the problem. He just can't get open. He is just a little too slow in straight line speed and isn't a quick twitch guy who can get open because his movements are fast. Some guys can start, turn, stop on a dime. David is more like a guy who can do it on a large tractor tire.
I am disappointed as well. I think the guy has good enough hands. His feet are the problem. He just can't get open. He is just a little too slow in straight line speed and isn't a quick twitch guy who can get open because his movements are fast. Some guys can start, turn, stop on a dime. David is more like a guy who can do it on a large tractor tire.
DAVID BELL sightings in the endzone lol
-
Speaking of Wide Receivers...
If the Bears decide that they believe in Justin Fields as their longterm QB (I have serious questions about this, but for the sake of this post let's just go with it) they could end up with a shenanigans Draft Day the movie scenario.
With their #1 overall pick (which they got from trading down last draft with Carolina) they could trade down to #2 so a team could take USC QB Caleb Williams, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025. Then, they could trade down again so a team could take North Carolina QB Drake Maye, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025 too. Then with that pick and their own first rounder (which will end up being a top 10 pick if they lose to the Packers now) they could end up with 2 of the 3 best WRs in the draft.
And they'd have three first rounders in 2025.
-
Speaking of Wide Receivers...
If the Bears decide that they believe in Justin Fields as their longterm QB (I have serious questions about this, but for the sake of this post let's just go with it) they could end up with a shenanigans Draft Day the movie scenario.
With their #1 overall pick (which they got from trading down last draft with Carolina) they could trade down to #2 so a team could take USC QB Caleb Williams, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025. Then, they could trade down again so a team could take North Carolina QB Drake Maye, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025 too. Then with that pick and their own first rounder (which will end up being a top 10 pick if they lose to the Packers now) they could end up with 2 of the 3 best WRs in the draft.
And they'd have three first rounders in 2025.
Speaking of Wide Receivers...
If the Bears decide that they believe in Justin Fields as their longterm QB (I have serious questions about this, but for the sake of this post let's just go with it) they could end up with a shenanigans Draft Day the movie scenario.
With their #1 overall pick (which they got from trading down last draft with Carolina) they could trade down to #2 so a team could take USC QB Caleb Williams, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025. Then, they could trade down again so a team could take North Carolina QB Drake Maye, and probably pick up that team's first rounder in 2025 too. Then with that pick and their own first rounder (which will end up being a top 10 pick if they lose to the Packers now) they could end up with 2 of the 3 best WRs in the draft.
And they'd have three first rounders in 2025.
Oh goody, draft talk is back in style again. Love this time of the year when it finally starts rolling around. Let's hope we gave Houston #32 overall.?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login