Skip to content

Report: Browns fire offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt

The Browns Board
128 21 5.7k 1
  • @ballpeen said:

    Greg and I have something in common. Neither of us have ever been to a Masters Champions dinner.

    I enjoyed those days...the players of the time, Greg, Fuzzy, Fred Couples, I liked Payne Stewart.  He played blues harp in the unofficial PGA band.  I think Peter Jacobsen played guitar...I forget who the other band member was...

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    Peter Jacobsen

    he used to put on a event called Peters Party all the greats were there jack tom all of em. plus  celebrities. you could eat and drink there on the cheap also

  • @gumby73 said:

    small stuff makes my day ? 

    Roman makes a lot of sense. I'm not seeing a honest hard nose coach like Roman from that side of the ball. (a Schwartz) If Lamar can take hard/critical coaching? Why not D.Watson ?

    This offensive coaching staff, started getting weird when Mayfield didn't want a QB coach. So Stef, sent AVP along side Baker on the bench with the windows tablet..  Have we seen anything change since Watson took over the position?  

    Stef's thinking... OC/QB coach ? 

    ? Never a dull moment.   About 5 months ago I was writing about Herman Fontenot but I kept calling him Mike Oliphant (which was quite the contrast to the pleasant surprise I thought I was presenting to readers). 

    Looking at your last 2 questions above, I thought Musgrave hired to assist with some of that stuff.  When we really think about it - the two 1st round QBs on the roster combined for a 9-2 record. Watson went 5-1 and Flacco went 4-1.  Not bad considering how much of that was without starting Tackles.  

    Meanwhile Driskel, Walker, and DTR were a combined 2-4.  In fairness, I don't know if a coach or miracle worker solves that reality...

    My guess is the volume of turnovers red flagged a need for changes as well as help tailoring the offense to the QB's talent/skillset. 

    N Neo wrote on last edited by Neo

    @flugel said:

    Meanwhile Driskel, Walker, and DTR were a combined 2-4. 

    Just a random thought, I thought momentum was important for the last game against the Bengals. I know how some people feel about PJ Walker but for the sake of argument, I thought they would have been better off starting Walker over Driskel because he knows the system and has a win. I get it (why they brought Driskel in), I just don't agree that at the end of the season going on a playoff run is the time to see if you can hit on a guy and maybe upgrade a position.  Momentum and confidence going into a wild card game is more important. The Bengals game should have been a tune up game for the Texans and they shit the bed. And I think it carried over into the Texans game because they just putrid.

  • N Neo

    @flugel said:

    Meanwhile Driskel, Walker, and DTR were a combined 2-4. 

    Just a random thought, I thought momentum was important for the last game against the Bengals. I know how some people feel about PJ Walker but for the sake of argument, I thought they would have been better off starting Walker over Driskel because he knows the system and has a win. I get it (why they brought Driskel in), I just don't agree that at the end of the season going on a playoff run is the time to see if you can hit on a guy and maybe upgrade a position.  Momentum and confidence going into a wild card game is more important. The Bengals game should have been a tune up game for the Texans and they shit the bed. And I think it carried over into the Texans game because they just putrid.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @neo said:

    Just a random thought, I thought momentum was important for the last game against the Bengals. I know how some people feel about PJ Walker but for the sake of argument, I thought they would have been better off starting Walker over Driskel because he knows the system and has a win. I get it (why they brought Driskel in), I just don't agree that at the end of the season going on a playoff run is the time to see if you can hit on a guy and maybe upgrade a position.  Momentum and confidence going into a wild card game is more important. The Bengals game should have been a tune up game for the Texans and they shut the bed. And I think it carried over into the Texans game because they just putrid.

    I like your point about about Walker over Driskel for the final game.  We all know how much Walker struggled; but the decision to start their junior varsity showed us winning wasn't the objective anyway.  The FO wanted to audition a guy they felt could upgrade the backup QB position for the playoffs.  Week 18 isn't really the best time to be looking for that upgrade as we learned.  Aside from the uncertainty of how much of an upgrade could he be - the guy needed to learn the offense and get chemistry with the receivers if he was only going to be 1 snap/injury away from starting in the playoffs.  That's not nearly enough time to make Driskel efficient.  This was a learning experience for everyone from the FO all the way down to us fans in a season with a relentless volume of injuries.  

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @syd said:

    good for him

    Patriots Hire Browns OC

    sad to see him go - he is highly respected all around the NFL.

    And the rest of the NFL knows he was just a scapegoat.

    Check it out:

    https://mirrorsports.co.uk/2024/01/25/pro-bowler-joel-bitonio-breaks-silence-on-browns-firing-offensive-coaches/

    "

    “I cherished AVP. He was an extraordinary fellow and turned out to be beneficial things for us,” Bitonio said, per Nate Ulrich of the Akron Signal Diary. ” I know him and [head mentor Kevin] Stefanski and actually the entire staff worked really hard of getting us in the right plays. I didn’t know anything about [Van Pelt’s] until I saw it on Twitter like every other person, so it’s generally a tad of shock.”

    Bitonio remarked further, showing that the decision to continue on from Van Pelt might have been more Stefanski’s than that of senior supervisor Andrew Berry."

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    Breer: Browns fired Alex Van Pelt because ownership, Paul DePodesta weren’t happy with Deshaun Watson’s progress

    Breer: Browns fired Alex Van Pelt because ownership, Paul DePodesta weren’t happy with Deshaun Watson’s progress - Dawgs By Nature

    Oh C'mon!  Does Breer really expect us to believe that Haslem & DePo were behind this?   I mean, does it sound at all like those two to get rid of the only guy to call plays to a playoff victory for us this century?   

    Watson's progress!  AVP has had to work with a myriad of QB's the last two seasons....because Watson A) wasn't allowed to play, and b)  was injured most of the time.  It's AVP's fault.  Geeze.

  • Breer: Browns fired Alex Van Pelt because ownership, Paul DePodesta weren’t happy with Deshaun Watson’s progress

    Breer: Browns fired Alex Van Pelt because ownership, Paul DePodesta weren’t happy with Deshaun Watson’s progress - Dawgs By Nature

    Oh C'mon!  Does Breer really expect us to believe that Haslem & DePo were behind this?   I mean, does it sound at all like those two to get rid of the only guy to call plays to a playoff victory for us this century?   

    Watson's progress!  AVP has had to work with a myriad of QB's the last two seasons....because Watson A) wasn't allowed to play, and b)  was injured most of the time.  It's AVP's fault.  Geeze.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    Breer: Browns fired Alex Van Pelt because ownership, Paul DePodesta weren’t happy with Deshaun Watson’s progress

    Breer: Browns fired Alex Van Pelt because ownership, Paul DePodesta weren’t happy with Deshaun Watson’s progress - Dawgs By Nature

    Oh C'mon!  Does Breer really expect us to believe that Haslem & DePo were behind this?   I mean, does it sound at all like those two to get rid of the only guy to call plays to a playoff victory for us this century?   

    Watson's progress!  AVP has had to work with a myriad of QB's the last two seasons....because Watson A) wasn't allowed to play, and b)  was injured most of the time.  It's AVP's fault.  Geeze.

    ∆Yes sir, silly season is upon us.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    Hmmmphhhfff tis le offseason!!!!... Thank God I have a big year of travels ahead.. I just hope I'm up for the task... Most days pretty good.. some days meh... But the distractions are welcome... Lets just hope the team.. And the Fans come out okay... big prayers for Nick Chubb...  Bigger prayers for us!!!..We invest so much from our hearts... I honestly expect a different looking team next season... Can't say which way... It's gonna depend where the losses and gains happen.. That within itself is a game of Craps..... More smoke and mirrors I presume... That's not always bad... But you can only trick a pony so long.... Watch,wait and see as it were.... "Buh dum tiss!!!!"

  • Hmmmphhhfff tis le offseason!!!!... Thank God I have a big year of travels ahead.. I just hope I'm up for the task... Most days pretty good.. some days meh... But the distractions are welcome... Lets just hope the team.. And the Fans come out okay... big prayers for Nick Chubb...  Bigger prayers for us!!!..We invest so much from our hearts... I honestly expect a different looking team next season... Can't say which way... It's gonna depend where the losses and gains happen.. That within itself is a game of Craps..... More smoke and mirrors I presume... That's not always bad... But you can only trick a pony so long.... Watch,wait and see as it were.... "Buh dum tiss!!!!"

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    Hmmmphhhfff tis le offseason!!!!... Thank God I have a big year of travels ahead.

    So where ya goin' this year?

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    He was our DLine coach....and we recently hired a new one...so this makes sense.  

  • @nickers said:

    Hmmmphhhfff tis le offseason!!!!... Thank God I have a big year of travels ahead.

    So where ya goin' this year?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers

    @texasag1969 said:

    So where ya goin' this year?

    Fla to visit Mum for a week.. do some repairs for her.... Then a trip to southern Ohio to celebrate my nieces college graduation (Miami) in the spring... There's a camping trip inbetween there somewhere.. Then a big trip to Europe in June.. And then Deep Creek State Park in west Maryland for a week in August followed by another camping trip in the fall.. Id say my plate is well full!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    So where ya goin' this year?

    Fla to visit Mum for a week.. do some repairs for her.... Then a trip to southern Ohio to celebrate my nieces college graduation (Miami) in the spring... There's a camping trip inbetween there somewhere.. Then a big trip to Europe in June.. And then Deep Creek State Park in west Maryland for a week in August followed by another camping trip in the fall.. Id say my plate is well full!

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    Fla to visit Mum for a week.. do some repairs for her.... Then a trip to southern Ohio to celebrate my nieces college graduation (Miami) in the spring... There's a camping trip inbetween there somewhere.. Then a big trip to Europe in June.. And then Deep Creek State Park in west Maryland for a week in August followed by another camping trip in the fall.. Id say my plate is well full!

    What part of Florida Nicks?

  • @nickers said:

    Fla to visit Mum for a week.. do some repairs for her.... Then a trip to southern Ohio to celebrate my nieces college graduation (Miami) in the spring... There's a camping trip inbetween there somewhere.. Then a big trip to Europe in June.. And then Deep Creek State Park in west Maryland for a week in August followed by another camping trip in the fall.. Id say my plate is well full!

    What part of Florida Nicks?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    What part of Florida Nicks?

    Same question. Near any good beaches?

  • @nickers said:

    Fla to visit Mum for a week.. do some repairs for her.... Then a trip to southern Ohio to celebrate my nieces college graduation (Miami) in the spring... There's a camping trip inbetween there somewhere.. Then a big trip to Europe in June.. And then Deep Creek State Park in west Maryland for a week in August followed by another camping trip in the fall.. Id say my plate is well full!

    What part of Florida Nicks?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    What part of Florida Nicks?

    Ponce Inlet on the east coast between Daytona and New Smyrna

  • @flugel said:

    What part of Florida Nicks?

    Same question. Near any good beaches?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Same question. Near any good beaches?

    My Mothers backyard is the beach...

    2023-05-08_06-49-50_748.jpeg

    2023-05-08_06-56-16_278.jpeg

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Same question. Near any good beaches?

    My Mothers backyard is the beach...

    2023-05-08_06-49-50_748.jpeg

    2023-05-08_06-56-16_278.jpeg

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    My Mothers backyard is the beach...

    2023-05-08_06-49-50_748.jpeg

    2023-05-08_06-56-16_278.jpeg

    Will your Mom adopt a new brother nickers? I still snorkel.??

  • @nickers said:

    My Mothers backyard is the beach...

    2023-05-08_06-49-50_748.jpeg

    2023-05-08_06-56-16_278.jpeg

    Will your Mom adopt a new brother nickers? I still snorkel.??

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers

    @texasag1969 said:

    Will your Mom adopt a new brother nickers? I still snorkel.??

    Hell no her child rearing years are OVER!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Same question. Near any good beaches?

    My Mothers backyard is the beach...

    2023-05-08_06-49-50_748.jpeg

    2023-05-08_06-56-16_278.jpeg

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    My Mothers backyard is the beach...

    2023-05-08_06-49-50_748.jpeg

    2023-05-08_06-56-16_278.jpeg

    Ghoolie, if you're reading - this is Myrtle Beach, SC.