Skip to content

The Official Browns at Commanders Game Thread Oct 6th

The Browns Board
212 27 6.5k 1
  • @bob806 said:

    Shanahan was pissed Haslam & Farmer forced Manziel to play QB. He left a scathing 25 slide power point presentation on his way out.

    Had nothing to do with Pettine. Pettine had the Browns at 6-3 in 1st place in the division. Then interference from the front office sent 'em to 7-9, eventually Hue Jackson?

    Woah. Pettine was a good head coach now? Why did he get canned? He is a horrible coach. Trust me I know. Why you think he never got even a sniff for another head coach gig.

    No wonder people here stand up for Stefanski. You have not had an actual good coach in so long you forgot what one is. Bill Belichick was the last. And even Bill had a losing record.

    What you say about Manziel may be true, Pettine said himself Kyle was not a fan of his. He was serious when he said it. Also, did you ever see Kyle look at Pettine on the sidelines? They were not friendly glares. 

    Pettine was the worst D coordinator I have ever witnessed. 

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by

    @packernation said:

    Woah. Pettine was a good head coach now? Why did he get canned? He is a horrible coach. Trust me I know. Why you think he never got even a sniff for another head coach gig.

    No wonder people here stand up for Stefanski. You have not had an actual good coach in so long you forgot what one is. Bill Belichick was the last. And even Bill had a losing record.

    What you say about Manziel may be true, Pettine said himself Kyle was not a fan of his. He was serious when he said it. Also, did you ever see Kyle look at Pettine on the sidelines? They were not friendly glares. 

    Pettine was the worst D coordinator I have ever witnessed. 

    Pettine got canned because he was spot on about Manziel, & Farmer & Haslam didn't want to believe it. 

    2014 season right here. You're not as invested in the Browns as me or many here. Believe it or not, Pettine had the Browns in 1st place with Brian Hoyer ...

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

  • @packernation said:

    Woah. Pettine was a good head coach now? Why did he get canned? He is a horrible coach. Trust me I know. Why you think he never got even a sniff for another head coach gig.

    No wonder people here stand up for Stefanski. You have not had an actual good coach in so long you forgot what one is. Bill Belichick was the last. And even Bill had a losing record.

    What you say about Manziel may be true, Pettine said himself Kyle was not a fan of his. He was serious when he said it. Also, did you ever see Kyle look at Pettine on the sidelines? They were not friendly glares. 

    Pettine was the worst D coordinator I have ever witnessed. 

    Pettine got canned because he was spot on about Manziel, & Farmer & Haslam didn't want to believe it. 

    2014 season right here. You're not as invested in the Browns as me or many here. Believe it or not, Pettine had the Browns in 1st place with Brian Hoyer ...

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @bob806 said:

    Pettine got canned because he was spot on about Manziel, & Farmer & Haslam didn't want to believe it. 

    2014 season right here. You're not as invested in the Browns as me or many here. Believe it or not, Pettine had the Browns in 1st place with Brian Hoyer ...

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

    Pettine was "Meh"... Very average...

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    He liked his Cigars 

  • @bob806 said:

    Pettine got canned because he was spot on about Manziel, & Farmer & Haslam didn't want to believe it. 

    2014 season right here. You're not as invested in the Browns as me or many here. Believe it or not, Pettine had the Browns in 1st place with Brian Hoyer ...

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

    Pettine was "Meh"... Very average...

    M Marvin the Martian wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    Pettine was "Meh"... Very average...

    Right now I would be happy with average

  • @packernation said:

    Woah. Pettine was a good head coach now? Why did he get canned? He is a horrible coach. Trust me I know. Why you think he never got even a sniff for another head coach gig.

    No wonder people here stand up for Stefanski. You have not had an actual good coach in so long you forgot what one is. Bill Belichick was the last. And even Bill had a losing record.

    What you say about Manziel may be true, Pettine said himself Kyle was not a fan of his. He was serious when he said it. Also, did you ever see Kyle look at Pettine on the sidelines? They were not friendly glares. 

    Pettine was the worst D coordinator I have ever witnessed. 

    Pettine got canned because he was spot on about Manziel, & Farmer & Haslam didn't want to believe it. 

    2014 season right here. You're not as invested in the Browns as me or many here. Believe it or not, Pettine had the Browns in 1st place with Brian Hoyer ...

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

    PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by PackerNation

    @bob806 said:

    Pettine got canned because he was spot on about Manziel, & Farmer & Haslam didn't want to believe it. 

    2014 season right here. You're not as invested in the Browns as me or many here. Believe it or not, Pettine had the Browns in 1st place with Brian Hoyer ...

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

    Yeah, the Browns were 7-4 and then lost the last 5 games and finished 7-9 in 2014. The next season the Browns were 3-13. Incredible head coach ya had there in Pettine.

    Browns fans think Pettine deserves a statue for 7-4. I don't think they hand out trophies for 7-4 and missing the playoffs.

  • @bob806 said:

    Pettine got canned because he was spot on about Manziel, & Farmer & Haslam didn't want to believe it. 

    2014 season right here. You're not as invested in the Browns as me or many here. Believe it or not, Pettine had the Browns in 1st place with Brian Hoyer ...

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

    Yeah, the Browns were 7-4 and then lost the last 5 games and finished 7-9 in 2014. The next season the Browns were 3-13. Incredible head coach ya had there in Pettine.

    Browns fans think Pettine deserves a statue for 7-4. I don't think they hand out trophies for 7-4 and missing the playoffs.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    @packernation said:

    Yeah, the Browns were 7-4 and then lost the last 5 games and finished 7-9 in 2014. The next season the Browns were 3-13. Incredible head coach ya had there in Pettine.

    Browns fans think Pettine deserves a statue for 7-4. I don't think they hand out trophies for 7-4 and missing the playoffs.

    Pettine was average, but he set the high water mark for HC’s in Cleveland during that era.

    Keep in mind, he had Ray Farmer filling the roster during his tenure.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

     Pettine and Shanahan were a fine duo. You had one that was an old-school hard ass, and then another that's one of the best chess players in the game. 

     They took a team with Brian Hoyer,  collection of cast off skill players and almost unheard of running backs to form a pretty respectable offense. 

     Pettine's downfall was two told. 

    - Haslam saddled him with an awful QB situation and media circus that was Manziel. 

     - Pettine brought with him his defense, and his rigid, unadaptable approach to 2gap fronts. Then with it one of the worst DCs I've ever seen in Jim O' Neil.  

     The fact they were a late season TD away from a wildcard berth was pretty incredible. 

  •  Pettine and Shanahan were a fine duo. You had one that was an old-school hard ass, and then another that's one of the best chess players in the game. 

     They took a team with Brian Hoyer,  collection of cast off skill players and almost unheard of running backs to form a pretty respectable offense. 

     Pettine's downfall was two told. 

    - Haslam saddled him with an awful QB situation and media circus that was Manziel. 

     - Pettine brought with him his defense, and his rigid, unadaptable approach to 2gap fronts. Then with it one of the worst DCs I've ever seen in Jim O' Neil.  

     The fact they were a late season TD away from a wildcard berth was pretty incredible. 

    PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by PackerNation

    @tiamat63 said:

     Pettine's downfall was two told. 

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Pettine's downfall was two told. 

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @packernation said:

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    Oh, no.  I don't feel like he himself was/is a good coach.   I view him in a similar mold as I do Coach Tomlin.  A players coach, good discipline, good for the locker room, works well with the other coaches and doesn't interfere, especially offensively, with their designs.    Neither are particularly elite chess players, or even good for that matter.  

    As a duo, he and Shanahan were effective. But only as a duo.    

    Edit: and it was even more obvious when the Bills defense took an even bigger step forward that 2014 season after Pettine left.  It was clear that he wasn't fit to be a playcaller or the type of coach to mold around his philosophy of defense.    As a CEO and someone who delegates well to organize? Absolutely.  Again, Tomlin-esque. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Pettine's downfall was two told. 

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @packernation said:

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    Fuck Lombardi

    Side Note: Did you know #4 has settled more law suits than  thrown for TD'S ? Well it's true.

  • @packernation said:

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    Oh, no.  I don't feel like he himself was/is a good coach.   I view him in a similar mold as I do Coach Tomlin.  A players coach, good discipline, good for the locker room, works well with the other coaches and doesn't interfere, especially offensively, with their designs.    Neither are particularly elite chess players, or even good for that matter.  

    As a duo, he and Shanahan were effective. But only as a duo.    

    Edit: and it was even more obvious when the Bills defense took an even bigger step forward that 2014 season after Pettine left.  It was clear that he wasn't fit to be a playcaller or the type of coach to mold around his philosophy of defense.    As a CEO and someone who delegates well to organize? Absolutely.  Again, Tomlin-esque. 

    PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Oh, no.  I don't feel like he himself was/is a good coach.   I view him in a similar mold as I do Coach Tomlin.  A players coach, good discipline, good for the locker room, works well with the other coaches and doesn't interfere, especially offensively, with their designs.    Neither are particularly elite chess players, or even good for that matter.  

    As a duo, he and Shanahan were effective. But only as a duo.    

    Edit: and it was even more obvious when the Bills defense took an even bigger step forward that 2014 season after Pettine left.  It was clear that he wasn't fit to be a playcaller or the type of coach to mold around his philosophy of defense.    As a CEO and someone who delegates well to organize? Absolutely.  Again, Tomlin-esque. 

    Again, more power to ya if you think Pettine is Tomlin-esque. If Tomlin had got fired in 2015 he would have had teams breaking down his door to hire him. When Pettine was fired there were crickets.

    The end.

  • PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by

    Back to the topic of the thread. The game  Sunday should have hammered home some things to the Stefanski apologists.

    I won't belabor the Stefanski point either. If the Browns don't get close to respectable this year. Stefanski's seat will be on fire, and he will be included in the firings on black Monday at seasons end.

  • Back to the topic of the thread. The game  Sunday should have hammered home some things to the Stefanski apologists.

    I won't belabor the Stefanski point either. If the Browns don't get close to respectable this year. Stefanski's seat will be on fire, and he will be included in the firings on black Monday at seasons end.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @packernation said:

    black Monday

    I find that Racist and I am offended, packer boy needs a time out

  • PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by PackerNation

    I realize you have zero knowledge on the NFL. I prefer accurate information on here.

    You just got yourself blocked again. Stalker tendencies. I do hope you get the help you so desperately need.

    Screenshot_20241008-1435152.thumb.png.8d6c30d4c746b53233b7f114aca24263.png

    Screenshot_20241008-1431542.thumb.png.b3dd01b6a8b7eb6a625898a920c6ad97.png

  • M MDDawg wrote on last edited by

    Kinda late to the party but this was one of the worst games I ever watched as a Browns fan. The 1-31 was hard but at least we knew we lacked talent (including coaching) literally everywhere. Sunday was just a display of probably the worst QB play since probably Weeden. Washington came in as one of the worst ranked pass defenses and he didn't even make them break a sweat. I'll be honest I gave Watson the benefit of the doubt after he went out on a high last season but now we need to start DTR or Jameis. The team needs to eat it like the Broncos did with Russel Wilson and move on to the next QB.

  • Kinda late to the party but this was one of the worst games I ever watched as a Browns fan. The 1-31 was hard but at least we knew we lacked talent (including coaching) literally everywhere. Sunday was just a display of probably the worst QB play since probably Weeden. Washington came in as one of the worst ranked pass defenses and he didn't even make them break a sweat. I'll be honest I gave Watson the benefit of the doubt after he went out on a high last season but now we need to start DTR or Jameis. The team needs to eat it like the Broncos did with Russel Wilson and move on to the next QB.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers

    @mddawg said:

    Kinda late to the party but this was one of the worst games I ever watched as a Browns fan. The 1-31 was hard but at least we knew we lacked talent (including coaching) literally everywhere. Sunday was just a display of probably the worst QB play since probably Weeden. Washington came in as one of the worst ranked pass defenses and he didn't even make them break a sweat. I'll be honest I gave Watson the benefit of the doubt after he went out on a high last season but now we need to start DTR or Jameis. The team needs to eat it like the Broncos did with Russel Wilson and move on to the next QB.

    You can't start DTR because he's the emergency QB on the roster... Both Watson and Winston would have to incur injuries before he can step on the field I believe... So until that happens... put that pipe dream to rest...

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    IMO, Watson will continue to start until he gets injured.

    The moment he becomes the backup, Berry's days as GM are over. If Berry is on his way out, Stefanski is following.

  • IMO, Watson will continue to start until he gets injured.

    The moment he becomes the backup, Berry's days as GM are over. If Berry is on his way out, Stefanski is following.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    IMO, Watson will continue to start until he gets injured.

    The moment he becomes the backup, Berry's days as GM are over. If Berry is on his way out, Stefanski is following.

    Then double B will come back and bring the alabama kid with him