Skip to content

Do you trade Garrett?

The Browns Board
82 26 2.7k 1
  •  Garrett has been the best defensive player the Browns have had since 99' and it really isn't all that close. 

     On top of that, you don't hear a bad word about him in the news. He works hard, by all accounts is great in the locker room, great in the community (he passes out a ton of candy for Halloween, the clips from the kids trick or treating are always sweet) and is well spoken for the media. 

     These are the types of players fans make connections with.  So it's difficult seeing them go.  On the flip side, speaking long term and removing that emotional connection, if you get an offer you can't ignore and the intent is to rebuild around a young QB, then you have to entertain said offer. 

     This defense has been built around a few things. But one of them has been to pair it with an offense that can put points up so they can play more opportunistic, aggressively pursuing turnovers.  That hasn't materialized for multiple reasons (the obvious being Watson) 

     Regardless of those reasons, you can limp to the finish line or give a merciful ending to this season early, amass draft capital and come out swinging like Houston did in the 2023 draft. 

     The downside is the likelihood you lose a good coach along the way in Stefanski in favor of the great unknown.   Because Lord knows Haslam and Berry aren't about to admit they've orchestrated the situation by handing their coaches a roster filled personnel problems.

  • All I can say is

    1) I purchased NFL ticket or what ever it's called this year for one reason.. To see my Browns. I'm out of market.. And considering that the powers to be in the Browns organization have clearly bailed on this season less than half way thru. I'm sorry I did..

    2) I'll be shocked if Garrett is a Brown at season's end.

    And 3) I have zero confidence in the present Browns ownership/management structure's ability to parlay the trade of the their two crown jewels in to anything north of a cup o shit..

    Having said all of that, I'll probably re up next year.?

    Yes I have a problem

    I think the Browns should initiate an "I need help" call center similar to those for AA and gambling issues. 🙁

  • AxeA Axe

    All I can say is

    1) I purchased NFL ticket or what ever it's called this year for one reason.. To see my Browns. I'm out of market.. And considering that the powers to be in the Browns organization have clearly bailed on this season less than half way thru. I'm sorry I did..

    2) I'll be shocked if Garrett is a Brown at season's end.

    And 3) I have zero confidence in the present Browns ownership/management structure's ability to parlay the trade of the their two crown jewels in to anything north of a cup o shit..

    Having said all of that, I'll probably re up next year.?

    Yes I have a problem

    I think the Browns should initiate an "I need help" call center similar to those for AA and gambling issues. 🙁

    @axe said:

    I think the Browns should initiate an "I need help" call center similar to those for AA and gambling issues. 🙁

    Of course you know who will be answering those calls, right? None other than Lucy (that will be 5 cents please) Van Pelt.? 

    All you have to do in return is kick the first ball of the season off for her next year.??

  • So is Nick on the trading block as well?

  • AxeA Axe

    So is Nick on the trading block as well?

    @axe said:

    So is Nick on the trading block as well?

    Doubt there would be much interest for him now unless he lights it up and someones desperate enough...

  • I would give Garrett away as long as they took Watson and his salary with him

  • I'm taking an educated guess Garrett will play out on more huge payday (which he's absolutely earned). I'm not smart enough to follow this void year stuff, but matter of fact speaking he has two years left on his current deal and is only slated to make $20 million AAV in 2025. I wouldn't blame him, at all, to push hard for one more deal after this offseason.

    So then the question becomes, are the Browns the team to offer him that contract given the reality of this team over the life of this Watson contract? You can make an unfortunate but logical decision that the answer to that is no. If that answer is no, you start taking calls now and demand a kings ransom. Realistically the man still has 2 and half (including this season) peak years and could easily give a team like the Lions, Texans, or even the Falcons that "all-in" piece to win this year. 

    With that being said, if the plan is to re-up Garrett and have him as the cornerstone of this team for the next 4-5 years, I'm fine with that too. The man still has several more elite years, that I am sure.

  • When the Browns lose on Sunday look for Garrett to be traded by Tuesday 

  • I am advocating for a full on fire sale. Ideally, get two firsts for Garrett because the next time the Browns are good is going to be when he is past his prime. I'd trade him for as little as a first and third. See what offers you get for Ward and Njoku. The offense doesn't have any talent to build around. The stars are getting long in the tooth. Fire Depodesta and Berry. Maybe keep Stefanski - though he really needs to answer for why DTR was backup and not Winston (maybe trying to showcase DTR in garbage time for a possible trade?). 

  • Has Garrett been traded yet ?

  • Has Garrett been traded yet ?

    @7moses7 said:

    Has Garrett been traded yet ?

    It's not even a rumor at this point. Indications are there has been interest but the Browns are not biting at all.

  • Garrett Wants to Stay in Cleveland

    I respect his loyalty...

  • I am advocating for a full on fire sale. Ideally, get two firsts for Garrett because the next time the Browns are good is going to be when he is past his prime. I'd trade him for as little as a first and third. See what offers you get for Ward and Njoku. The offense doesn't have any talent to build around. The stars are getting long in the tooth. Fire Depodesta and Berry. Maybe keep Stefanski - though he really needs to answer for why DTR was backup and not Winston (maybe trying to showcase DTR in garbage time for a possible trade?). 

    @vaportrail said:

    I am advocating for a full on fire sale. Ideally, get two firsts for Garrett because the next time the Browns are good is going to be when he is past his prime. I'd trade him for as little as a first and third. See what offers you get for Ward and Njoku. The offense doesn't have any talent to build around. The stars are getting long in the tooth. Fire Depodesta and Berry. Maybe keep Stefanski - though he really needs to answer for why DTR was backup and not Winston (maybe trying to showcase DTR in garbage time for a possible trade?). 

    Think I agree with all this. I do think Berry built a good roster in a very competitive division but someone’s going to be fired for the Watson trade 

  • After the guy who committed actual felonious assault on live tv and then tried to defend it by doing a half assed jussie smollet decided to lecture the fans on sportsmanship on behalf of a serial sex offender who is the worst quarterback in the league and called him a "model citizen"...

    Yeah I'd trade him. 

  • The only reason I would want to see Garrett traded is so he does not have to be another Joe Thomas who played out a stellar career for a shit organization that was so fucked they could not build a winner around him. Nothing has changed and won't until the baseball guy and owner are history at a minimum. Watson trade away of so many #1's plus more was just so fucked it will go down as the worst in NFL history permanently.

  • After the guy who committed actual felonious assault on live tv and then tried to defend it by doing a half assed jussie smollet decided to lecture the fans on sportsmanship on behalf of a serial sex offender who is the worst quarterback in the league and called him a "model citizen"...

    Yeah I'd trade him. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    After the guy who committed actual felonious assault on live tv and then tried to defend it by doing a half assed jussie smollet decided to lecture the fans on sportsmanship on behalf of a serial sex offender who is the worst quarterback in the league and called him a "model citizen"...

    Touchè 

  • The only reason I would want to see Garrett traded is so he does not have to be another Joe Thomas who played out a stellar career for a shit organization that was so fucked they could not build a winner around him. Nothing has changed and won't until the baseball guy and owner are history at a minimum. Watson trade away of so many #1's plus more was just so fucked it will go down as the worst in NFL history permanently.

    @texasag1969 said:

    The only reason I would want to see Garrett traded is so he does not have to be another Joe Thomas who played out a stellar career for a shit organization that was so fucked they could not build a winner around him. Nothing has changed and won't until the baseball guy and owner are history at a minimum. Watson trade away of so many #1's plus more was just so fucked it will go down as the worst in NFL history permanently.

    I'm out of likes. 

    HARD. TO. ARGUE.

  • I’m sorry but if a Garrett trade doesn’t knock my socks off he can retire as a Brown.  A late first rounder and other stuff nope.  If he wants to bolt after that and not build a retirement mansion in Moreland Hills than so be it.   

  • No way.  Both Garrett and Watson have been model citizens.  Why would we want to trade either of them away?

    myles-garrett-helmet.gif

  • I’m sorry but if a Garrett trade doesn’t knock my socks off he can retire as a Brown.  A late first rounder and other stuff nope.  If he wants to bolt after that and not build a retirement mansion in Moreland Hills than so be it.   

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’m sorry but if a Garrett trade doesn’t knock my socks off he can retire as a Brown.  A late first rounder and other stuff nope.  If he wants to bolt after that and not build a retirement mansion in Moreland Hills than so be it.   

    What would you ask for? What would you take?