Skip to content

Daniel Jones rumors

The Browns Board
56 13 1.5k 1
  • @usfbrown said:

    I'll take the bait.  What attribute are you alluding to?

    I would think his height, build... And he's pretty accurate in a clean pocket I'm guessing...

    @nickers said:

    I would think his height, build... And he's pretty accurate in a clean pocket I'm guessing...

    The guy who's been cut by his team? Lol

  • @nickers said:

    I would think his height, build... And he's pretty accurate in a clean pocket I'm guessing...

    The guy who's been cut by his team? Lol

    @mddawg said:

    The guy who's been cut by his team? Lol

    Yeah... Cut by stupid assholes...

  • @nickers said:

    I would think his height, build... And he's pretty accurate in a clean pocket I'm guessing...

    The guy who's been cut by his team? Lol

    @mddawg said:

    The guy who's been cut by his team? Lol

    There are examples of QBs who were cut and even paid to not play on the team that have done well just this year:  Wilson, Fields, Darnold come to mind.  Baker was let go by many teams.  Geno Smith is another 

    I'm not saying it will work out but there's no denying the Giants are a dumpster fire of an organization.  Jones may turn out to be a serviceable QB in the right system.

  • @orion said:

    Who are we going to cut?   The brain-trust seems to love keeping DTR on the roster.  And Winston just beat the Steelers.  

    Bailey Zappe, or one of the 3rd / 4th RBs (Foreman / Strong)

    @usfbrown said:

    Bailey Zappe,

    Of course, what was I thinking?   So you bring in Jones as 3rd string until maybe as the season is ending he can be elevated to backup.  And, in theory, by season's end you can tell if he's worth keeping around.   I guess that sounds like a plan.  But I would think that would probably be rather low on Jones' priority list of situations to go to.

  • @usfbrown said:

    Bailey Zappe,

    Of course, what was I thinking?   So you bring in Jones as 3rd string until maybe as the season is ending he can be elevated to backup.  And, in theory, by season's end you can tell if he's worth keeping around.   I guess that sounds like a plan.  But I would think that would probably be rather low on Jones' priority list of situations to go to.

    @orion said:

    Of course, what was I thinking?   So you bring in Jones as 3rd string until maybe as the season is ending he can be elevated to backup.  And, in theory, by season's end you can tell if he's worth keeping around.   I guess that sounds like a plan.  But I would think that would probably be rather low on Jones' priority list of situations to go to.

    Agree. I'd be willing to bet other teams would offer better options to him. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    I don't see any real harm in signing him.  It would be a cheap contract...a prove it deal.  Bring him in now to finish out the season on the team, have all the off season, then see how he does in camp.

    Who are we going to cut?   The brain-trust seems to love keeping DTR on the roster.  And Winston just beat the Steelers.  

    @orion said:

    Who are we going to cut?   The brain-trust seems to love keeping DTR on the roster.  And Winston just beat the Steelers.  

    The will keep DTR.  We signed zappe or whatever his name is...I think i might keep him over DTR, but that is just me.

    So who else....pick any scrub at the bottom of the roster.  If you are a team looking for a potential starter, I don't think keeping 4 on the roster for 7 games or whatever we have left is going to put a major crunch on other positions.  You don't have to keep all 4 on the gameday roster.  Just the active roster

  • Front office will not do it  They cannot figure who gets the 3 first round draft choices

  • @orion said:

    Who are we going to cut?   The brain-trust seems to love keeping DTR on the roster.  And Winston just beat the Steelers.  

    The will keep DTR.  We signed zappe or whatever his name is...I think i might keep him over DTR, but that is just me.

    So who else....pick any scrub at the bottom of the roster.  If you are a team looking for a potential starter, I don't think keeping 4 on the roster for 7 games or whatever we have left is going to put a major crunch on other positions.  You don't have to keep all 4 on the gameday roster.  Just the active roster

    @ballpeen said:

    The will keep DTR.  We signed zappe or whatever his name is...I think i might keep him over DTR, but that is just me.

    So who else....pick any scrub at the bottom of the roster.  If you are a team looking for a potential starter, I don't think keeping 4 on the roster for 7 games or whatever we have left is going to put a major crunch on other positions.  You don't have to keep all 4 on the gameday roster.  Just the active roster

    DTR is pure garbage and so is Zappe.. They can both be dumped..

  • @ballpeen said:

    The will keep DTR.  We signed zappe or whatever his name is...I think i might keep him over DTR, but that is just me.

    So who else....pick any scrub at the bottom of the roster.  If you are a team looking for a potential starter, I don't think keeping 4 on the roster for 7 games or whatever we have left is going to put a major crunch on other positions.  You don't have to keep all 4 on the gameday roster.  Just the active roster

    DTR is pure garbage and so is Zappe.. They can both be dumped..

    @nickers said:

    and so is Zappe

    Yeah, he was playing here in New England...and...he's not good.  

  • @mddawg said:

    The guy who's been cut by his team? Lol

    There are examples of QBs who were cut and even paid to not play on the team that have done well just this year:  Wilson, Fields, Darnold come to mind.  Baker was let go by many teams.  Geno Smith is another 

    I'm not saying it will work out but there's no denying the Giants are a dumpster fire of an organization.  Jones may turn out to be a serviceable QB in the right system.

    @usfbrown said:

    There are examples of QBs who were cut and even paid to not play on the team that have done well just this year:  Wilson, Fields, Darnold come to mind.  Baker was let go by many teams.  Geno Smith is another 

    I'm not saying it will work out but there's no denying the Giants are a dumpster fire of an organization.  Jones may turn out to be a serviceable QB in the right system.

    True but remember he was overdrafted by Pat Schumer I think, he's never been a stellar QB. He was good in the mediocre ACC and played for Duke not exactly a football powerhouse. I live in ACC country and his play wasn't memorable. The other QB's you mentioned were college standouts who have now found an organization that complements their talents. I will wait for the evaluation of afficionados who can tell if his talents align with Stefanski's other reclaim projects.

  • @usfbrown said:

    There are examples of QBs who were cut and even paid to not play on the team that have done well just this year:  Wilson, Fields, Darnold come to mind.  Baker was let go by many teams.  Geno Smith is another 

    I'm not saying it will work out but there's no denying the Giants are a dumpster fire of an organization.  Jones may turn out to be a serviceable QB in the right system.

    True but remember he was overdrafted by Pat Schumer I think, he's never been a stellar QB. He was good in the mediocre ACC and played for Duke not exactly a football powerhouse. I live in ACC country and his play wasn't memorable. The other QB's you mentioned were college standouts who have now found an organization that complements their talents. I will wait for the evaluation of afficionados who can tell if his talents align with Stefanski's other reclaim projects.

    @mddawg said:

    True but remember he was overdrafted by Pat Schumer I think, he's never been a stellar QB. He was good in the mediocre ACC and played for Duke not exactly a football powerhouse. I live in ACC country and his play wasn't memorable. The other QB's you mentioned were college standouts who have now found an organization that complements their talents. I will wait for the evaluation of afficionados who can tell if his talents align with Stefanski's other reclaim projects.

    I'm not disagreeing with your assessment about Jones.  But I don't agree with college being a major factor of QB success.  Sure it helps to evaluate a player but some good QBs went to schools that would not be considered powerhouses:

    Josh Allen - Wyoming

    Mahomes - Texas Tech

    Lamar Jackson - Lousiville

    Jordan Love - Utah State

    Drafting QBs is hard.  I'm all for trying a guy out and this seems like a good opportunity for Cleveland.  DTR is a project that may never pan out, Zappe is fodder, and Winston is a likeable guy but it's unlikely he's the franchise future.

    I'm not sure Jones would be willing to come here but I don't see many options for him if he wants to start.  At 27 years old he probably does not want to be a backup.

    The bottom teams as listed below.  The teams that do not have a potential long term QB already are Browns, Jets, Raiders, and Giants.  There's a rumor Jones said no to the Raiders.  Which leaves the Browns and Jets from this list.  Unless he's willing to sit - I don't see many starting opportunities outside Browns and Jets.

  • @mddawg said:

    True but remember he was overdrafted by Pat Schumer I think, he's never been a stellar QB. He was good in the mediocre ACC and played for Duke not exactly a football powerhouse. I live in ACC country and his play wasn't memorable. The other QB's you mentioned were college standouts who have now found an organization that complements their talents. I will wait for the evaluation of afficionados who can tell if his talents align with Stefanski's other reclaim projects.

    I'm not disagreeing with your assessment about Jones.  But I don't agree with college being a major factor of QB success.  Sure it helps to evaluate a player but some good QBs went to schools that would not be considered powerhouses:

    Josh Allen - Wyoming

    Mahomes - Texas Tech

    Lamar Jackson - Lousiville

    Jordan Love - Utah State

    Drafting QBs is hard.  I'm all for trying a guy out and this seems like a good opportunity for Cleveland.  DTR is a project that may never pan out, Zappe is fodder, and Winston is a likeable guy but it's unlikely he's the franchise future.

    I'm not sure Jones would be willing to come here but I don't see many options for him if he wants to start.  At 27 years old he probably does not want to be a backup.

    The bottom teams as listed below.  The teams that do not have a potential long term QB already are Browns, Jets, Raiders, and Giants.  There's a rumor Jones said no to the Raiders.  Which leaves the Browns and Jets from this list.  Unless he's willing to sit - I don't see many starting opportunities outside Browns and Jets.

    @usfbrown said:

    I'm not disagreeing with your assessment about Jones.  But I don't agree with college being a major factor of QB success.  Sure it helps to evaluate a player but some good QBs went to schools that would not be considered powerhouses:

    Josh Allen - Wyoming

    Mahomes - Texas Tech

    Lamar Jackson - Lousiville

    Jordan Love - Utah State

    Drafting QBs is hard.  I'm all for trying a guy out and this seems like a good opportunity for Cleveland.  DTR is a project that may never pan out, Zappe is fodder, and Winston is a likeable guy but it's unlikely he's the franchise future.

    I'm not sure Jones would be willing to come here but I don't see many options for him if he wants to start.  At 27 years old he probably does not want to be a backup.

    The bottom teams as listed below.  The teams that do not have a potential long term QB already are Browns, Jets, Raiders, and Giants.  There's a rumor Jones said no to the Raiders.  Which leaves the Browns and Jets from this list.  Unless he's willing to sit - I don't see many starting opportunities outside Browns and Jets.

    Those guys you listed were all standouts in their conferences and nationally recognized, Jones was not. I wanted us to draft Mahomes but Kansas City traded up and took him ahead of us, although I don't know if he was on the Browns' radar in that draft. IMO he doesn't have the pedigree or the NFL performance to demand a starting job.

  • @usfbrown said:

    He's not a dumb kid... He just needs the right coaching and offense..

    @nickers said:

    He's not a dumb kid... He just needs the right coaching and offense..

    Rofl...and he will get that here?

  • Moot point now for this season as he just signed with the Vikings.

  • @nickers said:

    He's not a dumb kid... He just needs the right coaching and offense..

    Rofl...and he will get that here?

    @kvoethe said:

    Rofl...and he will get that here?

    Touche'!

  • Moot point now for this season as he just signed with the Vikings.

    @mddawg said:

    Moot point now for this season as he just signed with the Vikings.

    I'm a surprised he went here.  You have Darnold who's playing very well and JJ McCarthy as the potential future.  Guess he believes he will be able to out play them?

    I was thinking he might go the Dolphins with Tua's history.  

  • He's on their PS....so technically he's still available...if ya want him.  

  • He's on their PS....so technically he's still available...if ya want him.  

    @orion said:

    He's on their PS....so technically he's still available...if ya want him.  

    i would still take jameis over him  any day of the week

  • sydS syd

    @orion said:

    He's on their PS....so technically he's still available...if ya want him.  

    i would still take jameis over him  any day of the week

    @syd said:

    i would still take jameis over him  any day of the week

    I'd absolutely be fine with bringing in Jones as the backup next season, but that's tough unless they just cut Watson. 

  • @syd said:

    i would still take jameis over him  any day of the week

    I'd absolutely be fine with bringing in Jones as the backup next season, but that's tough unless they just cut Watson. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd absolutely be fine with bringing in Jones as the backup next season, but that's tough unless they just cut Watson. 

    I believe after june 1st the cap hit is less, so maybe #4 will be gone then