Skip to content

The Official Browns at Steelers Game Thread Dec 8th

The Browns Board
112 19 2.9k 1
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #94

    Re: pre-snap penalties.

     When you have injuries along your Oline, specifically at your tackle spots, the backups are more likely to draw laundry.  

     We're tied for #1 in false starts, the overwhelming majority tagged to the Oline. But funny enough, we're bottom 1/3 in holding calls.  I would suspect this coaching staff, in an effort to reduce penalty yards and to force the line judge to make more decisive, split second decisions, has instructed this group to try to move on silent counts like we saw at the start of last year. 

     Holding is 10 yards from the spot of the foul.  False start is only 5 yards and dead ball.  

     The former are absolute drive killers.   So if I were forced to choose as a coach, I'd prefer my tackles take the 5 to try and better leverage themselves in pass pro and to put an even more subjective decision that requires faster eyes than holding. 

     The illegal formations and such are just players losing their heads.  With the injuries and lineup changes, I can understand. But you're also professionals as well, so it also causes some eye rolling. 

  • Re: pre-snap penalties.

     When you have injuries along your Oline, specifically at your tackle spots, the backups are more likely to draw laundry.  

     We're tied for #1 in false starts, the overwhelming majority tagged to the Oline. But funny enough, we're bottom 1/3 in holding calls.  I would suspect this coaching staff, in an effort to reduce penalty yards and to force the line judge to make more decisive, split second decisions, has instructed this group to try to move on silent counts like we saw at the start of last year. 

     Holding is 10 yards from the spot of the foul.  False start is only 5 yards and dead ball.  

     The former are absolute drive killers.   So if I were forced to choose as a coach, I'd prefer my tackles take the 5 to try and better leverage themselves in pass pro and to put an even more subjective decision that requires faster eyes than holding. 

     The illegal formations and such are just players losing their heads.  With the injuries and lineup changes, I can understand. But you're also professionals as well, so it also causes some eye rolling. 

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #95

    @tiamat63 said:

    Re: pre-snap penalties.

     When you have injuries along your Oline, specifically at your tackle spots, the backups are more likely to draw laundry.  

     We're tied for #1 in false starts, the overwhelming majority tagged to the Oline. But funny enough, we're bottom 1/3 in holding calls.  I would suspect this coaching staff, in an effort to reduce penalty yards and to force the line judge to make more decisive, split second decisions, has instructed this group to try to move on silent counts like we saw at the start of last year. 

     Holding is 10 yards from the spot of the foul.  False start is only 5 yards and dead ball.  

     The former are absolute drive killers.   So if I were forced to choose as a coach, I'd prefer my tackles take the 5 to try and better leverage themselves in pass pro and to put an even more subjective decision that requires faster eyes than holding. 

     The illegal formations and such are just players losing their heads.  With the injuries and lineup changes, I can understand. But you're also professionals as well, so it also causes some eye rolling. 

    Makes some sense, sure.

    Counter-point though. Any penalty, whether pre snap or post snap, is obviously going to be an obstacle. The Browns' offensive line (through age & injuries) has morphed into a poor run-blocking unit, which is a killer whether it's 1st and 15 or 1st & 20  (for example). 

    They ( O line) show flashes of good during games, they're simply not consistent. 

  • @fy56 said:

    Well I guess I was wrong about this.

    Those int’s are not what lost this game. It was a lot more than that.

    The INTs are definitely a problem though. The ball is moving down field with Winston. Protection is better. I think Winston will never shake the turnovers. 

    I attempt to be objective, but it's so damn hard. I have been on the "support Stefanski" side but these mind-blowing pre snap penalties aren't getting any better. 

    Yet, the team does play hard, just not smart. 3-14 looks probable. 

    You've got somebody who signed Kadarius Toney, a guy KC let go, after the NYG let him go. If he can't thrive in KC, why bother, really?

    So I keep turning back to the owner & front office. Seriously, if we have a "quality control office" with DePodesta, & our roster is littered with low quality or low intellect  players, what does Mr DePodesta do ( since 2016)? Can he be demoted? Can he get fired? 

    All I know is in hindsight, Gregg Williams stepped in after Hue, poof, the pre snap penalties disappeared. Williams is old-school. Maybe old-school isn't effective on today's youth, but the Browns need something like that in the building. Will Jimmy allow it?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #96

    @bob806 said:

    The INTs are definitely a problem though. The ball is moving down field with Winston. Protection is better. I think Winston will never shake the turnovers. 

    I attempt to be objective, but it's so damn hard. I have been on the "support Stefanski" side but these mind-blowing pre snap penalties aren't getting any better. 

    Yet, the team does play hard, just not smart. 3-14 looks probable. 

    You've got somebody who signed Kadarius Toney, a guy KC let go, after the NYG let him go. If he can't thrive in KC, why bother, really?

    So I keep turning back to the owner & front office. Seriously, if we have a "quality control office" with DePodesta, & our roster is littered with low quality or low intellect  players, what does Mr DePodesta do ( since 2016)? Can he be demoted? Can he get fired? 

    All I know is in hindsight, Gregg Williams stepped in after Hue, poof, the pre snap penalties disappeared. Williams is old-school. Maybe old-school isn't effective on today's youth, but the Browns need something like that in the building. Will Jimmy allow it?

    Penalties are a result of poor coaching and not holding anyone accountable...... In High School you learn basic fundamentals and that includes how not to incur penalties... There are just times I feel Stefanski has no control of his units... I mean Kevvy is 2x COY... In the meantime in Tomlin's 15 years at the Burgh he has none... That should tell you straight up COY and DPOY are bullshit awards... You are measured by playoff wins and SB's... Everything else is just pure fluff and window dressing...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Re: pre-snap penalties.

     When you have injuries along your Oline, specifically at your tackle spots, the backups are more likely to draw laundry.  

     We're tied for #1 in false starts, the overwhelming majority tagged to the Oline. But funny enough, we're bottom 1/3 in holding calls.  I would suspect this coaching staff, in an effort to reduce penalty yards and to force the line judge to make more decisive, split second decisions, has instructed this group to try to move on silent counts like we saw at the start of last year. 

     Holding is 10 yards from the spot of the foul.  False start is only 5 yards and dead ball.  

     The former are absolute drive killers.   So if I were forced to choose as a coach, I'd prefer my tackles take the 5 to try and better leverage themselves in pass pro and to put an even more subjective decision that requires faster eyes than holding. 

     The illegal formations and such are just players losing their heads.  With the injuries and lineup changes, I can understand. But you're also professionals as well, so it also causes some eye rolling. 

    Makes some sense, sure.

    Counter-point though. Any penalty, whether pre snap or post snap, is obviously going to be an obstacle. The Browns' offensive line (through age & injuries) has morphed into a poor run-blocking unit, which is a killer whether it's 1st and 15 or 1st & 20  (for example). 

    They ( O line) show flashes of good during games, they're simply not consistent. 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #97

    @bob806 said:

    Makes some sense, sure.

    Counter-point though. Any penalty, whether pre snap or post snap, is obviously going to be an obstacle. The Browns' offensive line (through age & injuries) has morphed into a poor run-blocking unit, which is a killer whether it's 1st and 15 or 1st & 20  (for example). 

    They ( O line) show flashes of good during games, they're simply not consistent. 

    Something else I'm sure that has been taken into account.  

    All the more reason I'd live with false starts over holding calls. 

  • @bob806 said:

    The INTs are definitely a problem though. The ball is moving down field with Winston. Protection is better. I think Winston will never shake the turnovers. 

    I attempt to be objective, but it's so damn hard. I have been on the "support Stefanski" side but these mind-blowing pre snap penalties aren't getting any better. 

    Yet, the team does play hard, just not smart. 3-14 looks probable. 

    You've got somebody who signed Kadarius Toney, a guy KC let go, after the NYG let him go. If he can't thrive in KC, why bother, really?

    So I keep turning back to the owner & front office. Seriously, if we have a "quality control office" with DePodesta, & our roster is littered with low quality or low intellect  players, what does Mr DePodesta do ( since 2016)? Can he be demoted? Can he get fired? 

    All I know is in hindsight, Gregg Williams stepped in after Hue, poof, the pre snap penalties disappeared. Williams is old-school. Maybe old-school isn't effective on today's youth, but the Browns need something like that in the building. Will Jimmy allow it?

    Penalties are a result of poor coaching and not holding anyone accountable...... In High School you learn basic fundamentals and that includes how not to incur penalties... There are just times I feel Stefanski has no control of his units... I mean Kevvy is 2x COY... In the meantime in Tomlin's 15 years at the Burgh he has none... That should tell you straight up COY and DPOY are bullshit awards... You are measured by playoff wins and SB's... Everything else is just pure fluff and window dressing...

    F FY56 wrote on last edited by
    #98

    @nickers said:

    Penalties are a result of poor coaching and not holding anyone accountable...... In High School you learn basic fundamentals and that includes how not to incur penalties... There are just times I feel Stefanski has no control of his units... I mean Kevvy is 2x COY... In the meantime in Tomlin's 15 years at the Burgh he has none... That should tell you straight up COY and DPOY are bullshit awards... You are measured by playoff wins and SB's... Everything else is just pure fluff and window dressing...

    Except that I find it hard to believe that the coaches have not stressed the penalty issues with this team during practice. 
    I’m not sure what technique would be used to correct for excessive penalties.

    You’re right, they learn these fundamentals in high school, so by the time they enter the pros they should be well polished machines.

    Thats why they’re called professionals. Professionals should not need a coach to tell them that penalties are a no-no.

  • @nickers said:

    Penalties are a result of poor coaching and not holding anyone accountable...... In High School you learn basic fundamentals and that includes how not to incur penalties... There are just times I feel Stefanski has no control of his units... I mean Kevvy is 2x COY... In the meantime in Tomlin's 15 years at the Burgh he has none... That should tell you straight up COY and DPOY are bullshit awards... You are measured by playoff wins and SB's... Everything else is just pure fluff and window dressing...

    Except that I find it hard to believe that the coaches have not stressed the penalty issues with this team during practice. 
    I’m not sure what technique would be used to correct for excessive penalties.

    You’re right, they learn these fundamentals in high school, so by the time they enter the pros they should be well polished machines.

    Thats why they’re called professionals. Professionals should not need a coach to tell them that penalties are a no-no.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #99

    @fy56 said:

    Except that I find it hard to believe that the coaches have not stressed the penalty issues with this team during practice. 
    I’m not sure what technique would be used to correct for excessive penalties.

    You’re right, they learn these fundamentals in high school, so by the time they enter the pros they should be well polished machines.

    Thats why they’re called professionals. Professionals should not need a coach to tell them that penalties are a no-no.

    Exactomundo!... This is something you address with camp repetition..

  • @hoorta said:

    Now getting back to football. I honestly don't know how much more of this crap football I can take- and if you're interested me and MJP are\were almost exactly the same age.  

    Two shit interceptions- the first being particularly bad. Two more missed field goals, better clean out your locker Hopkins you're done. A dumb f**k roll out on fourth and a yard- how many times have we gotten stuffed on a play like that? Oh and a muffed punt to top it off.  Welcome to the Clown Show. 

    PS...  I;ve been hearing rumors should Jimmuh successfully build his Dum-dum Dome in Berea he's going to try and extort us season ticket holders tens of thousands of dollars to re-up our 100 level seats. Shove it Haslam- I've got better things to spend my money on than that shit product you're consistently putting out there on the field.  I may have to even consider not re-upping after yet another disaster of a season. Can't hardly give away tickets in the 100 level this year, even at a 50% discount. 🙁 My take? Fire Dorsey now, and Depodesta at the end of the season. 

    I wasn't going to renew this year but did anyway. 

    The thing about the Browns office, it's very cold to fans. I'm not sure people are aware of it, but the response I received from my ticket agent really pissed me off. I e mailed about me waiting to send payment in after the draft. I don't think that's such a big deal, to make a request like that. Here's the reply:

    Screenshot_20241208-200630.thumb.png.95ad6410f62cb298646458225b7665a1.png

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @bob806 said:

    I wasn't going to renew this year but did anyway. 

    The thing about the Browns office, it's very cold to fans. I'm not sure people are aware of it, but the response I received from my ticket agent really pissed me off. I e mailed about me waiting to send payment in after the draft. I don't think that's such a big deal, to make a request like that. Here's the reply:

    Screenshot_20241208-200630.thumb.png.95ad6410f62cb298646458225b7665a1.png

    Bob, I'm not the season ticket holder of record- my lifelong friend is. However, I've gotten plenty of feedback from Don about BS from our ticket agent. They really don't care. Sad thing is with the Browns playing like crap, the value of our PSLs have cratered. Like about 90%. 

    Any further ticket price increases, and I'm going to be forced out of the market anyway on my retirement budget. FWIW Browns fans... I did see the face value of tickets 100 Level sideline between the 30s are $310 bucks each. The level of fan interest is so low, just checking Ticketmaster for the Chiefs game you can get a couple primo 40 yard line row 19 seats for $200 bucks. 

    PS- they'd love for you to forfeit your tickets so they can resell them to some fan (or corporation) that's got enough disposable income to shell out $6,000+ bucks every year on a pair of decent 100 level seats. I actually wonder if there would be any takers. Average fans are getting priced out of the market. LOL, at least we're not trying to buy tickets to the Lions- Bills game. $500-$1,000.  ?

  • @fy56 said:

    Well I guess I was wrong about this.

    Those int’s are not what lost this game. It was a lot more than that.

    The INTs are definitely a problem though. The ball is moving down field with Winston. Protection is better. I think Winston will never shake the turnovers. 

    I attempt to be objective, but it's so damn hard. I have been on the "support Stefanski" side but these mind-blowing pre snap penalties aren't getting any better. 

    Yet, the team does play hard, just not smart. 3-14 looks probable. 

    You've got somebody who signed Kadarius Toney, a guy KC let go, after the NYG let him go. If he can't thrive in KC, why bother, really?

    So I keep turning back to the owner & front office. Seriously, if we have a "quality control office" with DePodesta, & our roster is littered with low quality or low intellect  players, what does Mr DePodesta do ( since 2016)? Can he be demoted? Can he get fired? 

    All I know is in hindsight, Gregg Williams stepped in after Hue, poof, the pre snap penalties disappeared. Williams is old-school. Maybe old-school isn't effective on today's youth, but the Browns need something like that in the building. Will Jimmy allow it?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @bob806 said:

    The INTs are definitely a problem though. The ball is moving down field with Winston. Protection is better. I think Winston will never shake the turnovers. 

    I attempt to be objective, but it's so damn hard. I have been on the "support Stefanski" side but these mind-blowing pre snap penalties aren't getting any better. 

    Yet, the team does play hard, just not smart. 3-14 looks probable. 

    You've got somebody who signed Kadarius Toney, a guy KC let go, after the NYG let him go. If he can't thrive in KC, why bother, really?

    So I keep turning back to the owner & front office. Seriously, if we have a "quality control office" with DePodesta, & our roster is littered with low quality or low intellect  players, what does Mr DePodesta do ( since 2016)? Can he be demoted? Can he get fired? 

    All I know is in hindsight, Gregg Williams stepped in after Hue, poof, the pre snap penalties disappeared. Williams is old-school. Maybe old-school isn't effective on today's youth, but the Browns need something like that in the building. Will Jimmy allow it?

    PS- since I've sort of adopted the Lions as my alternate team because of this miserable season I'd like to think Dan Campbell is sort of an old school coach.  Other than his crazy penchant for going for it on 4th and short. They were damn lucky on the one with about a minute left in the Green Bay game.  

  • @bob806 said:

    The INTs are definitely a problem though. The ball is moving down field with Winston. Protection is better. I think Winston will never shake the turnovers. 

    I attempt to be objective, but it's so damn hard. I have been on the "support Stefanski" side but these mind-blowing pre snap penalties aren't getting any better. 

    Yet, the team does play hard, just not smart. 3-14 looks probable. 

    You've got somebody who signed Kadarius Toney, a guy KC let go, after the NYG let him go. If he can't thrive in KC, why bother, really?

    So I keep turning back to the owner & front office. Seriously, if we have a "quality control office" with DePodesta, & our roster is littered with low quality or low intellect  players, what does Mr DePodesta do ( since 2016)? Can he be demoted? Can he get fired? 

    All I know is in hindsight, Gregg Williams stepped in after Hue, poof, the pre snap penalties disappeared. Williams is old-school. Maybe old-school isn't effective on today's youth, but the Browns need something like that in the building. Will Jimmy allow it?

    PS- since I've sort of adopted the Lions as my alternate team because of this miserable season I'd like to think Dan Campbell is sort of an old school coach.  Other than his crazy penchant for going for it on 4th and short. They were damn lucky on the one with about a minute left in the Green Bay game.  

    DieHardBrownsFan1D DieHardBrownsFan1 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    PS- since I've sort of adopted the Lions as my alternate team because of this miserable season I'd like to think Dan Campbell is sort of an old school coach.  Other than his crazy penchant for going for it on 4th and short. They were damn lucky on the one with about a minute left in the Green Bay game.  

    I like the Lions and Bills.  Both rust belt teams.

  • @bob806 said:

    The INTs are definitely a problem though. The ball is moving down field with Winston. Protection is better. I think Winston will never shake the turnovers. 

    I attempt to be objective, but it's so damn hard. I have been on the "support Stefanski" side but these mind-blowing pre snap penalties aren't getting any better. 

    Yet, the team does play hard, just not smart. 3-14 looks probable. 

    You've got somebody who signed Kadarius Toney, a guy KC let go, after the NYG let him go. If he can't thrive in KC, why bother, really?

    So I keep turning back to the owner & front office. Seriously, if we have a "quality control office" with DePodesta, & our roster is littered with low quality or low intellect  players, what does Mr DePodesta do ( since 2016)? Can he be demoted? Can he get fired? 

    All I know is in hindsight, Gregg Williams stepped in after Hue, poof, the pre snap penalties disappeared. Williams is old-school. Maybe old-school isn't effective on today's youth, but the Browns need something like that in the building. Will Jimmy allow it?

    PS- since I've sort of adopted the Lions as my alternate team because of this miserable season I'd like to think Dan Campbell is sort of an old school coach.  Other than his crazy penchant for going for it on 4th and short. They were damn lucky on the one with about a minute left in the Green Bay game.  

    F FY56 wrote on last edited by FY56

    @hoorta said:

    PS- since I've sort of adopted the Lions as my alternate team because of this miserable season I'd like to think Dan Campbell is sort of an old school coach.  Other than his crazy penchant for going for it on 4th and short. They were damn lucky on the one with about a minute left in the Green Bay game.  

    Like the Browns the Lions have been a perennial loser never to have made a SB appearance. And like the Browns they also happen to be  winners of 4 NFL Championships, had an 0-16 season, and is a rust belt city. The Browns had Jim Brown, and the Lions had Barry Sanders. They are also one of those teams without a reason to hate.
    So I could see why you are attracted to Detroit.

    Im pulling for them too.

  • @hoorta said:

    PS- since I've sort of adopted the Lions as my alternate team because of this miserable season I'd like to think Dan Campbell is sort of an old school coach.  Other than his crazy penchant for going for it on 4th and short. They were damn lucky on the one with about a minute left in the Green Bay game.  

    I like the Lions and Bills.  Both rust belt teams.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan1 said:

    I like the Lions and Bills.  Both rust belt teams.

    I didn't mind the Bills ever, until they lobbied hard & got the OT rules changed for the playoffs (after their 13 seconds debacle).

    I hate that as I get older, my "NFL Hate List" grows lol. I don't really hate the Bills, but damn they're an entitled group of fans for sure. I still belong to one of their fan forums (Two Bills Drive) and many of those fans absolutely hate on Cleveland every chance they can. 

    I'm sure many of us Browns fans thought we'd at least reach a Super Bowl by now after John Dorsey basically got some good players in here, 2018 ish. Well, looks like we're back to the abyss. 

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta yeah the arrogance of the Browns headquarters is baffling. I realize times have changed from "the customer is always right," but wow, you'd think that me having season tickets since 1979 would pull a little weight. 

    That's a lot of bad football to witness, so my bad for continuing to hope it gets better. Losing 21 straight in Pittsburgh, 1-31, poor drafts, signing Kadarius Toney, etc etc...

    Yep. At some point, the investment doesn'r make sense. I'm in the upper deck, great seats in the 1st row on the 20 yard line. This year it was $2304 for my two seats (I split with my cousin). The $4 cracks me up, a "processing fee." The $2300 causes pain and a deep look in the mirror.

    I'll probably never stop this abusive relationship, but I will stop funding it through season tickets. The good days are long gone, the future is bleak & unknown. Haslam will fire this crew & start over with more unproven BS and his stupid-ass structure. Stefanski will go to Las Vegas & win a SB in 5 years.

  • @hoorta said:

    PS- since I've sort of adopted the Lions as my alternate team because of this miserable season I'd like to think Dan Campbell is sort of an old school coach.  Other than his crazy penchant for going for it on 4th and short. They were damn lucky on the one with about a minute left in the Green Bay game.  

    Like the Browns the Lions have been a perennial loser never to have made a SB appearance. And like the Browns they also happen to be  winners of 4 NFL Championships, had an 0-16 season, and is a rust belt city. The Browns had Jim Brown, and the Lions had Barry Sanders. They are also one of those teams without a reason to hate.
    So I could see why you are attracted to Detroit.

    Im pulling for them too.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @fy56 said:

    So I could see why you are attracted to Detroit.

    Im pulling for them too.

    I pull for them because Dan is an Aggie and so is his DC Aaron Glenn. But also because my friend in Las Vegas who lost his oldest daughter and wife within the past two years is a lifelong Lions fan and a Mich St. grad. He deserves to feel better about something in his life.

  • @hoorta said:

    PS- since I've sort of adopted the Lions as my alternate team because of this miserable season I'd like to think Dan Campbell is sort of an old school coach.  Other than his crazy penchant for going for it on 4th and short. They were damn lucky on the one with about a minute left in the Green Bay game.  

    Like the Browns the Lions have been a perennial loser never to have made a SB appearance. And like the Browns they also happen to be  winners of 4 NFL Championships, had an 0-16 season, and is a rust belt city. The Browns had Jim Brown, and the Lions had Barry Sanders. They are also one of those teams without a reason to hate.
    So I could see why you are attracted to Detroit.

    Im pulling for them too.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @fy56 said:

    Like the Browns the Lions have been a perennial loser never to have made a SB appearance. And like the Browns they also happen to be  winners of 4 NFL Championships, had an 0-16 season, and is a rust belt city. The Browns had Jim Brown, and the Lions had Barry Sanders. They are also one of those teams without a reason to hate.
    So I could see why you are attracted to Detroit.

    I'm pulling for them too.

    I have one additional reason FY....  My wife and her two brothers are initially from Toledo. They all grew up as Lions fans. Her brothers are still diehard Detroit fans (one even has a Lions tattoo), my wife has adopted the Browns as her main team, but has always followed the Lions too.  So ditto me on that one.  

    LOL, a former poster here (who I will not name) fancied himself as a QB guru and was singing the praises of Joey Harrington (Jimmy Clausen too, but that's another story) Sue's brothers were faster on the uptake when Joey made it to the Lions, they quickly realized the guy blew dead worms.  🙂 

    Yep, Lions fans have suffered even longer than Browns fans through many crap seasons. Their last Championship was even earlier than the Browns- in 1957.  Also won in 1952 and 1953- and ironically, in every one of those Championships- they beat the Browns. Fortunately, I'm not old enough to remember those years to hate on them for it.  ?

  • @fy56 said:

    Like the Browns the Lions have been a perennial loser never to have made a SB appearance. And like the Browns they also happen to be  winners of 4 NFL Championships, had an 0-16 season, and is a rust belt city. The Browns had Jim Brown, and the Lions had Barry Sanders. They are also one of those teams without a reason to hate.
    So I could see why you are attracted to Detroit.

    I'm pulling for them too.

    I have one additional reason FY....  My wife and her two brothers are initially from Toledo. They all grew up as Lions fans. Her brothers are still diehard Detroit fans (one even has a Lions tattoo), my wife has adopted the Browns as her main team, but has always followed the Lions too.  So ditto me on that one.  

    LOL, a former poster here (who I will not name) fancied himself as a QB guru and was singing the praises of Joey Harrington (Jimmy Clausen too, but that's another story) Sue's brothers were faster on the uptake when Joey made it to the Lions, they quickly realized the guy blew dead worms.  🙂 

    Yep, Lions fans have suffered even longer than Browns fans through many crap seasons. Their last Championship was even earlier than the Browns- in 1957.  Also won in 1952 and 1953- and ironically, in every one of those Championships- they beat the Browns. Fortunately, I'm not old enough to remember those years to hate on them for it.  ?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    I have one additional reason FY....  My wife and her two brothers are initially from Toledo. They all grew up as Lions fans. Her brothers are still diehard Detroit fans (one even has a Lions tattoo), my wife has adopted the Browns as her main team, but has always followed the Lions too.  So ditto me on that one.  

    LOL, a former poster here (who I will not name) fancied himself as a QB guru and was singing the praises of Joey Harrington (Jimmy Clausen too, but that's another story) Sue's brothers were faster on the uptake when Joey made it to the Lions, they quickly realized the guy blew dead worms.  🙂 

    Yep, Lions fans have suffered even longer than Browns fans through many crap seasons. Their last Championship was even earlier than the Browns- in 1957.  Also won in 1952 and 1953- and ironically, in every one of those Championships- they beat the Browns. Fortunately, I'm not old enough to remember those years to hate on them for it.  ?

    And like Cleveland wasting the best years of Myles Garrett, the Lions wasted the best years of NFL HOF great Alex Karras. Myles will get inducted too some day, also without a Championship.

  • @hoorta said:

    I have one additional reason FY....  My wife and her two brothers are initially from Toledo. They all grew up as Lions fans. Her brothers are still diehard Detroit fans (one even has a Lions tattoo), my wife has adopted the Browns as her main team, but has always followed the Lions too.  So ditto me on that one.  

    LOL, a former poster here (who I will not name) fancied himself as a QB guru and was singing the praises of Joey Harrington (Jimmy Clausen too, but that's another story) Sue's brothers were faster on the uptake when Joey made it to the Lions, they quickly realized the guy blew dead worms.  🙂 

    Yep, Lions fans have suffered even longer than Browns fans through many crap seasons. Their last Championship was even earlier than the Browns- in 1957.  Also won in 1952 and 1953- and ironically, in every one of those Championships- they beat the Browns. Fortunately, I'm not old enough to remember those years to hate on them for it.  ?

    And like Cleveland wasting the best years of Myles Garrett, the Lions wasted the best years of NFL HOF great Alex Karras. Myles will get inducted too some day, also without a Championship.

    F FY56 wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    And like Cleveland wasting the best years of Myles Garrett, the Lions wasted the best years of NFL HOF great Alex Karras. Myles will get inducted too some day, also without a Championship.

    I have much more regret over Joe Thomas’ career being wasted. 

  • F FY56 wrote on last edited by FY56

    Fun thought…how much success would  Joe Thomas have success against Garrett?

    Say for example in passing situations given 10 snaps, how many out of 10 would Thomas block Garrett successfully.

    I say 9 out of 10.
    Garrett gets past him once.

    Maybe.

  • Fun thought…how much success would  Joe Thomas have success against Garrett?

    Say for example in passing situations given 10 snaps, how many out of 10 would Thomas block Garrett successfully.

    I say 9 out of 10.
    Garrett gets past him once.

    Maybe.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @fy56 said:

    Fun thought…how much success would  Joe Thomas have success against Garrett?

    Say for example in passing situations given 10 snaps, how many out of 10 would Thomas block Garrett successfully.

    I say 9 out of 10.
    Garrett gets past him once.

    Maybe.

    Garrett vanishes 50% of the time

  • @fy56 said:

    Like the Browns the Lions have been a perennial loser never to have made a SB appearance. And like the Browns they also happen to be  winners of 4 NFL Championships, had an 0-16 season, and is a rust belt city. The Browns had Jim Brown, and the Lions had Barry Sanders. They are also one of those teams without a reason to hate.
    So I could see why you are attracted to Detroit.

    I'm pulling for them too.

    I have one additional reason FY....  My wife and her two brothers are initially from Toledo. They all grew up as Lions fans. Her brothers are still diehard Detroit fans (one even has a Lions tattoo), my wife has adopted the Browns as her main team, but has always followed the Lions too.  So ditto me on that one.  

    LOL, a former poster here (who I will not name) fancied himself as a QB guru and was singing the praises of Joey Harrington (Jimmy Clausen too, but that's another story) Sue's brothers were faster on the uptake when Joey made it to the Lions, they quickly realized the guy blew dead worms.  🙂 

    Yep, Lions fans have suffered even longer than Browns fans through many crap seasons. Their last Championship was even earlier than the Browns- in 1957.  Also won in 1952 and 1953- and ironically, in every one of those Championships- they beat the Browns. Fortunately, I'm not old enough to remember those years to hate on them for it.  ?

    JaxJ Jax wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    I have one additional reason FY....  My wife and her two brothers are initially from Toledo. They all grew up as Lions fans. Her brothers are still diehard Detroit fans (one even has a Lions tattoo), my wife has adopted the Browns as her main team, but has always followed the Lions too.  So ditto me on that one.  

    LOL, a former poster here (who I will not name) fancied himself as a QB guru and was singing the praises of Joey Harrington (Jimmy Clausen too, but that's another story) Sue's brothers were faster on the uptake when Joey made it to the Lions, they quickly realized the guy blew dead worms.  🙂 

    Yep, Lions fans have suffered even longer than Browns fans through many crap seasons. Their last Championship was even earlier than the Browns- in 1957.  Also won in 1952 and 1953- and ironically, in every one of those Championships- they beat the Browns. Fortunately, I'm not old enough to remember those years to hate on them for it.  ?

    I'll admit it, I've been rooting for the Lions ever since someone posted that funny video of Goff under disguise.

    Baker has one too that's good.

    Though, I normally root against them so they don't get a super bowl before the Browns.