Skip to content

Browns Have #2 Overall Draft Pick

The Browns Board
241 25 7.0k
  • @flugel said:

    will say this, the Owner and FO better have a FUCKING LT to protect the blind side of their big investment at QB

    Free Agency may give us insight into their 'plan'.  

    There's no question that the OL (LT!  G?) and QB needs addressing in order to field a team next season.  From FA, the draft, or both, we don't know yet.

    @orion said:

    Free Agency may give us insight into their 'plan'.  

    There's no question that the OL (LT!  G?) and QB needs addressing in order to field a team next season.  From FA, the draft, or both, we don't know yet.

    True; but I think this FO will have picks near the top of every round. That's quite an opportunity for any FO and their scouts.  With a rookie salary cap today - you can build yourself a good team with a healthy salary cap if you're good at the draft.   

  • A AP1

    @flugel said:

    I will say this, the Owner and FO better have a FUCKING LT to protect the blind side of their big investment at QB whoever that may be. 

    One hundred million bazillion quintrillion percent....

    This is a strong draft for LTs. On many boards, the Top 5 OL in this draft are LTs, and 7 of the Top 10 OL are LTs.

    Abdul Carter lined up against four of these guys this past season - Milium (WV), Simmons (OSU), Conerly, Jr (Ore) and Ersey (Minn).

    In my opinion, Ersey from Minnesota did the best job of slowing down and controlling Abdul Carter. I say that to show how deep I think this Draft Class is at LT.

    I believe they should draft Abdul Carter with their first pick. I think they can still draft a Franchise LT at 33.

    I don't see Carter lasting longer than the fourth pick. The Giants pick third. They need a QB. Realistically, they'd be the best trade. What's that trade look like?

    Some recent similar trades are attached.

    I agree with you. Draft a QB in the middle rounds. They should also bring in a FA QB for 2025. I give credit to Ballpeen for first posting this about QBs, at least that I saw. The Browns don't need a HOF QB. They just need a solid QB.

    Screenshot_20250121_181506_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_181549_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185111_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185040_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185015_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185005_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_184958_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_184950_Chrome.jpg

    @ap1 said:

    One hundred million bazillion quintrillion percent....

    This is a strong draft for LTs. On many boards, the Top 5 OL in this draft are LTs, and 7 of the Top 10 OL are LTs.

    Abdul Carter lined up against four of these guys this past season - Milium (WV), Simmons (OSU), Conerly, Jr (Ore) and Ersey (Minn).

    In my opinion, Ersey from Minnesota did the best job of slowing down and controlling Abdul Carter. I say that to show how deep I think this Draft Class is at LT.

    I believe they should draft Abdul Carter with their first pick. I think they can still draft a Franchise LT at 33.

    I don't see Carter lasting longer than the fourth pick. The Giants pick third. They need a QB. Realistically, they'd be the best trade. What's that trade look like?

    Some recent similar trades are attached.

    I agree with you. Draft a QB in the middle rounds. They should also bring in a FA QB for 2025. I give credit to Ballpeen for first posting this about QBs, at least that I saw. The Browns don't need a HOF QB. They just need a solid QB.

    Screenshot_20250121_181506_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_181549_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185111_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185040_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185015_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185005_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_184958_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_184950_Chrome.jpg

    Wow!  Thanks for sharing that list of OTs and OGs.  Another guy that should be moving up the board is the LG for the Buckeyes that filled in admirably at LT (Donovan Jackson) for Josh Simmons.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I agree, IF they think Ward or Sanders is a franchise QB. What I don't want them to do is force the issue and reach for one because they feel like they have to.

    Here's the thing, when you don't have a QB because your incredibly big QB trade flopped, and you have a team that was built to win now, how do you walk up to Jimmy Haslem and tell him, We're not picking one of the two best QB's in the draft?  I mean, Jimmuh's first question is gonna be, OK, so what's your plan.  And ya better have one because the team ain't worth $#!+ without a QB.  

    We'll have a better idea regarding 'The Plan' when the new league year starts and Free Agency opens up.  

    @orion said:

    Here's the thing, when you don't have a QB because your incredibly big QB trade flopped, and you have a team that was built to win now, how do you walk up to Jimmy Haslem and tell him, We're not picking one of the two best QB's in the draft?  I mean, Jimmuh's first question is gonna be, OK, so what's your plan.  And ya better have one because the team ain't worth $#!+ without a QB.  

    We'll have a better idea regarding 'The Plan' when the new league year starts and Free Agency opens up.  

    Easy.  You build a pass rush…insert Carter and terrorize the opposing QB.  Find a Joe Flacco or equal that Kevin has proven he can work with…and you spend the next couple picks bolstering the offensive line.  
     

    Build some momentum for 2026 - just be competitive again 7/8 wins.  Just put out a product that makes a December game meaningful again.

    This is a two year rebuild. 

  • @ap1 said:

    One hundred million bazillion quintrillion percent....

    This is a strong draft for LTs. On many boards, the Top 5 OL in this draft are LTs, and 7 of the Top 10 OL are LTs.

    Abdul Carter lined up against four of these guys this past season - Milium (WV), Simmons (OSU), Conerly, Jr (Ore) and Ersey (Minn).

    In my opinion, Ersey from Minnesota did the best job of slowing down and controlling Abdul Carter. I say that to show how deep I think this Draft Class is at LT.

    I believe they should draft Abdul Carter with their first pick. I think they can still draft a Franchise LT at 33.

    I don't see Carter lasting longer than the fourth pick. The Giants pick third. They need a QB. Realistically, they'd be the best trade. What's that trade look like?

    Some recent similar trades are attached.

    I agree with you. Draft a QB in the middle rounds. They should also bring in a FA QB for 2025. I give credit to Ballpeen for first posting this about QBs, at least that I saw. The Browns don't need a HOF QB. They just need a solid QB.

    Screenshot_20250121_181506_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_181549_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185111_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185040_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185015_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_185005_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_184958_Chrome.jpg

    Screenshot_20250121_184950_Chrome.jpg

    Wow!  Thanks for sharing that list of OTs and OGs.  Another guy that should be moving up the board is the LG for the Buckeyes that filled in admirably at LT (Donovan Jackson) for Josh Simmons.

    @flugel said:

    Wow!  Thanks for sharing that list of OTs and OGs.  Another guy that should be moving up the board is the LG for the Buckeyes that filled in admirably at LT (Donovan Jackson) for Josh Simmons.

    All signs point to Simmons going round 1.  Jackson could be late first round early 2. 

  • @orion said:

    Here's the thing, when you don't have a QB because your incredibly big QB trade flopped, and you have a team that was built to win now, how do you walk up to Jimmy Haslem and tell him, We're not picking one of the two best QB's in the draft?  I mean, Jimmuh's first question is gonna be, OK, so what's your plan.  And ya better have one because the team ain't worth $#!+ without a QB.  

    We'll have a better idea regarding 'The Plan' when the new league year starts and Free Agency opens up.  

    Easy.  You build a pass rush…insert Carter and terrorize the opposing QB.  Find a Joe Flacco or equal that Kevin has proven he can work with…and you spend the next couple picks bolstering the offensive line.  
     

    Build some momentum for 2026 - just be competitive again 7/8 wins.  Just put out a product that makes a December game meaningful again.

    This is a two year rebuild. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Easy.  You build a pass rush…insert Carter and terrorize the opposing QB.  Find a Joe Flacco or equal that Kevin has proven he can work with…and you spend the next couple picks bolstering the offensive line.  
     

    Build some momentum for 2026 - just be competitive again 7/8 wins.  Just put out a product that makes a December game meaningful again.

    This is a two year rebuild. 

    OK.  So then you're saying that NEXT year there'll be QB's worth drafting in round 1.  How much draft capitol will we have to package up to move up and get one?

  • @orion said:

    Here's the thing, when you don't have a QB because your incredibly big QB trade flopped, and you have a team that was built to win now, how do you walk up to Jimmy Haslem and tell him, We're not picking one of the two best QB's in the draft?  I mean, Jimmuh's first question is gonna be, OK, so what's your plan.  And ya better have one because the team ain't worth $#!+ without a QB.  

    We'll have a better idea regarding 'The Plan' when the new league year starts and Free Agency opens up.  

    Easy.  You build a pass rush…insert Carter and terrorize the opposing QB.  Find a Joe Flacco or equal that Kevin has proven he can work with…and you spend the next couple picks bolstering the offensive line.  
     

    Build some momentum for 2026 - just be competitive again 7/8 wins.  Just put out a product that makes a December game meaningful again.

    This is a two year rebuild. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Easy.  You build a pass rush…insert Carter and terrorize the opposing QB.  Find a Joe Flacco or equal that Kevin has proven he can work with…and you spend the next couple picks bolstering the offensive line.  
     

    Build some momentum for 2026 - just be competitive again 7/8 wins.  Just put out a product that makes a December game meaningful again.

    This is a two year rebuild. 

    There's no doubt Carter is Other Worldly off the edge as was another Penn State edge rusher the Browns drafted 1st overall in 2000.  The problem with Courtney Brown was injuries and no more gimme backside clampdowns for all those unblocked tackles for losses on backside clampdowns the Big 10 gifted him. While I realize they're not the same guy in the same era - what kept interrupting Abdul Carter's brilliant game the last time he played?  A very painful shoulder injury that kept flaring up.  The arms and the ball and socket above them are very crucial to an edge rusher's success in the NFL.

    Understanding ALL THAT with arguably the worst Medical/Sports Med Staff in the NFL hired by Jimmy for his franchise - a prospect like this almost feels like a very cruel tease.  That's what worries me about this guy. The good news there is I'm more Nostradumbass than Nostradamus especially since I don't know the extent of his injury.  One thing I do know is the best defensive player our current FO drafted (JOK) may never play another down this early into it all. Anyone we consider will be nitpicked so extent of injury and prognosis ahead will be a part of it for anyone we talk about.  And Goodell thinks 18 games a year is a good idea...

    This isn't nearly as football sexy; but there's another thing the Browns could do defensively with the 1st 2 picks. Trade back a few spots and draft the best DT in the draft Mason Graham and kickoff round 2 drafting Jack Sawyer. Then get our LT next and then get our early mid round QB.    Depending on the exchange value received from the trade back of my scenario here - would a Riley Leonard be available? He threw some freakin dimes that couldn't be dropped with his WR getting mugged.

    Anyone remember when Chase Young was coming out?  I remembered posting I wasn't sold he was going to be great in the NFL.  Then he got drafted at #2 overall because he's an edge rusher with a great physique.  Today, he's on his 3rd NFL team where the only year he came close to looking like a #2 overall talent was his rookie season. Here's his stats linked below.

    https://www.nfl.com/players/chase-young/stats/career

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Easy.  You build a pass rush…insert Carter and terrorize the opposing QB.  Find a Joe Flacco or equal that Kevin has proven he can work with…and you spend the next couple picks bolstering the offensive line.  
     

    Build some momentum for 2026 - just be competitive again 7/8 wins.  Just put out a product that makes a December game meaningful again.

    This is a two year rebuild. 

    There's no doubt Carter is Other Worldly off the edge as was another Penn State edge rusher the Browns drafted 1st overall in 2000.  The problem with Courtney Brown was injuries and no more gimme backside clampdowns for all those unblocked tackles for losses on backside clampdowns the Big 10 gifted him. While I realize they're not the same guy in the same era - what kept interrupting Abdul Carter's brilliant game the last time he played?  A very painful shoulder injury that kept flaring up.  The arms and the ball and socket above them are very crucial to an edge rusher's success in the NFL.

    Understanding ALL THAT with arguably the worst Medical/Sports Med Staff in the NFL hired by Jimmy for his franchise - a prospect like this almost feels like a very cruel tease.  That's what worries me about this guy. The good news there is I'm more Nostradumbass than Nostradamus especially since I don't know the extent of his injury.  One thing I do know is the best defensive player our current FO drafted (JOK) may never play another down this early into it all. Anyone we consider will be nitpicked so extent of injury and prognosis ahead will be a part of it for anyone we talk about.  And Goodell thinks 18 games a year is a good idea...

    This isn't nearly as football sexy; but there's another thing the Browns could do defensively with the 1st 2 picks. Trade back a few spots and draft the best DT in the draft Mason Graham and kickoff round 2 drafting Jack Sawyer. Then get our LT next and then get our early mid round QB.    Depending on the exchange value received from the trade back of my scenario here - would a Riley Leonard be available? He threw some freakin dimes that couldn't be dropped with his WR getting mugged.

    Anyone remember when Chase Young was coming out?  I remembered posting I wasn't sold he was going to be great in the NFL.  Then he got drafted at #2 overall because he's an edge rusher with a great physique.  Today, he's on his 3rd NFL team where the only year he came close to looking like a #2 overall talent was his rookie season. Here's his stats linked below.

    https://www.nfl.com/players/chase-young/stats/career

    @flugel said:

    Anyone remember when Chase Young was coming out?  I remembered posting I wasn't sold he was going to be great in the NFL.  Then he got drafted at #2 overall because he's an edge rusher with a great physique.  Today, he's on his 3rd NFL team where the only year he came close to looking like a #2 overall talent was his rookie season. Here's his stats linked below.

    https://www.nfl.com/players/chase-young/stats/career

    Young was DROTY,  a pro bowler and team captain all in his first season. Then had a dual ACL and Massive patellar tendon tear early in his 2nd year where he only started finding his form the back half of last season. 

    You were right about him not being great, but only because of the unfortunate nature of his injury history.  Can't be great if you aren't playing.   But your "being sold" wildly missed the mark if it was because of his physical talent, abilities and technical refinement.  Kid was already a top 100 player less than 9 months after being draft before the worst struck. 

  • @flugel said:

    Anyone remember when Chase Young was coming out?  I remembered posting I wasn't sold he was going to be great in the NFL.  Then he got drafted at #2 overall because he's an edge rusher with a great physique.  Today, he's on his 3rd NFL team where the only year he came close to looking like a #2 overall talent was his rookie season. Here's his stats linked below.

    https://www.nfl.com/players/chase-young/stats/career

    Young was DROTY,  a pro bowler and team captain all in his first season. Then had a dual ACL and Massive patellar tendon tear early in his 2nd year where he only started finding his form the back half of last season. 

    You were right about him not being great, but only because of the unfortunate nature of his injury history.  Can't be great if you aren't playing.   But your "being sold" wildly missed the mark if it was because of his physical talent, abilities and technical refinement.  Kid was already a top 100 player less than 9 months after being draft before the worst struck. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Young was DROTY,  a pro bowler and team captain all in his first season. Then had a dual ACL and Massive patellar tendon tear early in his 2nd year where he only started finding his form the back half of last season. 

    You were right about him not being great, but only because of the unfortunate nature of his injury history.  Can't be great if you aren't playing.   But your "being sold" wildly missed the mark if it was because of his physical talent, abilities and technical refinement.  Kid was already a top 100 player less than 9 months after being draft before the worst struck. 

    All true; but my not being sold never had anything to do with his physical attributes. There was nothing to argue with there. It was just a gut and a position that is heavily weighed by sacks fair or not - his best season by a mile was only 7.5 sacks in a 16 game season. An NFL career often involves the adversity of a season ending injury or 2, etc.  SF only kept him 1 year - then he went to the Saints.  Maybe I'm not being fair and you had some good points about when he was healthy.

    Back to the context of the draft and Abdul Carter - he's a tremendous talent with a great motor as we've seen very recently.  We also see he has an injury that all interested teams should do some thorough research on.  Hopefully it's not something serious if that's the guy the Browns end up wanting at #2.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Young was DROTY,  a pro bowler and team captain all in his first season. Then had a dual ACL and Massive patellar tendon tear early in his 2nd year where he only started finding his form the back half of last season. 

    You were right about him not being great, but only because of the unfortunate nature of his injury history.  Can't be great if you aren't playing.   But your "being sold" wildly missed the mark if it was because of his physical talent, abilities and technical refinement.  Kid was already a top 100 player less than 9 months after being draft before the worst struck. 

    All true; but my not being sold never had anything to do with his physical attributes. There was nothing to argue with there. It was just a gut and a position that is heavily weighed by sacks fair or not - his best season by a mile was only 7.5 sacks in a 16 game season. An NFL career often involves the adversity of a season ending injury or 2, etc.  SF only kept him 1 year - then he went to the Saints.  Maybe I'm not being fair and you had some good points about when he was healthy.

    Back to the context of the draft and Abdul Carter - he's a tremendous talent with a great motor as we've seen very recently.  We also see he has an injury that all interested teams should do some thorough research on.  Hopefully it's not something serious if that's the guy the Browns end up wanting at #2.

    @flugel said:

    All true; but my not being sold never had anything to do with his physical attributes. There was nothing to argue with there. It was just a gut and a position that is heavily weighed by sacks fair or not - his best season by a mile was only 7.5 sacks in a 16 game season. An NFL career often involves the adversity of a season ending injury or 2, etc.  SF only kept him 1 year - then he went to the Saints.  Maybe I'm not being fair and you had some good points about when he was healthy.

    Back to the context of the draft and Abdul Carter - he's a tremendous talent with a great motor as we've seen very recently.  We also see he has an injury that all interested teams should do some thorough research on.  Hopefully it's not something serious if that's the guy the Browns end up wanting at #2.

     Agreed, injury history in college needs to be taken into account.

     While we're looking at Abdul, I have to ask how he fits into the defense as a full time player.   He's around 250lbs in-season, which can be a bit light for playing edge 4 man fronts.  He isn't all that much bigger than Ogbo who has struggled when teams run right at him. 

     Begs the question, are we going to be mixing in more odd fronts and blended gap schemes to help keep him clean(er) on the edge?   Is it possible to use him similar to how Denver used Von early on - he would play the WILL in their "base" even fronts then play edge in passing situations and sub-packages.   That last one opens up even more questions...   Can Carter function as an off-ball LB?  Does that merit investing potentially a top 5 pick in? Will you get them snaps out of him to make an every down difference in that role? 

     I know we're big on talent first, THEN fit, but when you start to see stability in a coaching staff, the latter tends to become more important. 

  • watching Abdul Carter play, I thought at times he was a blue chip high draft pick in round one.

    Then, having time to read more, and stop with the cold and sneezing etc,

    Abdul Carter is a red flag character. Excellent athlete, not a football player that will be on the field when you need him.

    Maybe another suspension problem.

    I'd pass, the Browns have enough headaches.

    May 22, 2024Abdul Carter raises significant red flags, both on and off the field, prompting questions about his draftability. Watch five games of Penn State defender Abdul Carter in 2023 embedded into this article.
  • Well I was really high on Carter, but some random high school kid took him off his draft board…. ?

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Easy.  You build a pass rush…insert Carter and terrorize the opposing QB.  Find a Joe Flacco or equal that Kevin has proven he can work with…and you spend the next couple picks bolstering the offensive line.  
     

    Build some momentum for 2026 - just be competitive again 7/8 wins.  Just put out a product that makes a December game meaningful again.

    This is a two year rebuild. 

    There's no doubt Carter is Other Worldly off the edge as was another Penn State edge rusher the Browns drafted 1st overall in 2000.  The problem with Courtney Brown was injuries and no more gimme backside clampdowns for all those unblocked tackles for losses on backside clampdowns the Big 10 gifted him. While I realize they're not the same guy in the same era - what kept interrupting Abdul Carter's brilliant game the last time he played?  A very painful shoulder injury that kept flaring up.  The arms and the ball and socket above them are very crucial to an edge rusher's success in the NFL.

    Understanding ALL THAT with arguably the worst Medical/Sports Med Staff in the NFL hired by Jimmy for his franchise - a prospect like this almost feels like a very cruel tease.  That's what worries me about this guy. The good news there is I'm more Nostradumbass than Nostradamus especially since I don't know the extent of his injury.  One thing I do know is the best defensive player our current FO drafted (JOK) may never play another down this early into it all. Anyone we consider will be nitpicked so extent of injury and prognosis ahead will be a part of it for anyone we talk about.  And Goodell thinks 18 games a year is a good idea...

    This isn't nearly as football sexy; but there's another thing the Browns could do defensively with the 1st 2 picks. Trade back a few spots and draft the best DT in the draft Mason Graham and kickoff round 2 drafting Jack Sawyer. Then get our LT next and then get our early mid round QB.    Depending on the exchange value received from the trade back of my scenario here - would a Riley Leonard be available? He threw some freakin dimes that couldn't be dropped with his WR getting mugged.

    Anyone remember when Chase Young was coming out?  I remembered posting I wasn't sold he was going to be great in the NFL.  Then he got drafted at #2 overall because he's an edge rusher with a great physique.  Today, he's on his 3rd NFL team where the only year he came close to looking like a #2 overall talent was his rookie season. Here's his stats linked below.

    https://www.nfl.com/players/chase-young/stats/career

    @flugel said:

    This isn't nearly as football sexy; but there's another thing the Browns could do defensively with the 1st 2 picks. Trade back a few spots and draft the best DT in the draft Mason Graham and kickoff round 2 drafting Jack Sawyer. Then get our LT next and then get our early mid round QB. 

    I wouldn't be disappointed in this move.

    He seems to be flying a little under the radar, do you expect Sawyer to be available at 33? I do not. In this scenario, I'd be elated if he was.

  • @flugel said:

    All true; but my not being sold never had anything to do with his physical attributes. There was nothing to argue with there. It was just a gut and a position that is heavily weighed by sacks fair or not - his best season by a mile was only 7.5 sacks in a 16 game season. An NFL career often involves the adversity of a season ending injury or 2, etc.  SF only kept him 1 year - then he went to the Saints.  Maybe I'm not being fair and you had some good points about when he was healthy.

    Back to the context of the draft and Abdul Carter - he's a tremendous talent with a great motor as we've seen very recently.  We also see he has an injury that all interested teams should do some thorough research on.  Hopefully it's not something serious if that's the guy the Browns end up wanting at #2.

     Agreed, injury history in college needs to be taken into account.

     While we're looking at Abdul, I have to ask how he fits into the defense as a full time player.   He's around 250lbs in-season, which can be a bit light for playing edge 4 man fronts.  He isn't all that much bigger than Ogbo who has struggled when teams run right at him. 

     Begs the question, are we going to be mixing in more odd fronts and blended gap schemes to help keep him clean(er) on the edge?   Is it possible to use him similar to how Denver used Von early on - he would play the WILL in their "base" even fronts then play edge in passing situations and sub-packages.   That last one opens up even more questions...   Can Carter function as an off-ball LB?  Does that merit investing potentially a top 5 pick in? Will you get them snaps out of him to make an every down difference in that role? 

     I know we're big on talent first, THEN fit, but when you start to see stability in a coaching staff, the latter tends to become more important. 

    @tiamat63 said:

     Agreed, injury history in college needs to be taken into account.

     While we're looking at Abdul, I have to ask how he fits into the defense as a full time player.   He's around 250lbs in-season, which can be a bit light for playing edge 4 man fronts.  He isn't all that much bigger than Ogbo who has struggled when teams run right at him. 

     Begs the question, are we going to be mixing in more odd fronts and blended gap schemes to help keep him clean(er) on the edge?   Is it possible to use him similar to how Denver used Von early on - he would play the WILL in their "base" even fronts then play edge in passing situations and sub-packages.   That last one opens up even more questions...   Can Carter function as an off-ball LB?  Does that merit investing potentially a top 5 pick in? Will you get them snaps out of him to make an every down difference in that role? 

     I know we're big on talent first, THEN fit, but when you start to see stability in a coaching staff, the latter tends to become more important. 

    Legitimate concerns.

    Micah Parsons played LB at Penn St. His final year at Penn St, he was 245.

  • Well I was really high on Carter, but some random high school kid took him off his draft board…. ?

    @dutch-oven said:

    Well I was really high on Carter, but some random high school kid took him off his draft board…. ?

    He might be related to DePodesta!!! Lol

    I enjoy reading all you guys' comments on the draft.

    I'm hoping somewhere in this draft, the Browns find a defender that is a sure tackler and goes sideline to sideline knocking people on their a$$. 

  • A AP1

    @flugel said:

    This isn't nearly as football sexy; but there's another thing the Browns could do defensively with the 1st 2 picks. Trade back a few spots and draft the best DT in the draft Mason Graham and kickoff round 2 drafting Jack Sawyer. Then get our LT next and then get our early mid round QB. 

    I wouldn't be disappointed in this move.

    He seems to be flying a little under the radar, do you expect Sawyer to be available at 33? I do not. In this scenario, I'd be elated if he was.

    @ap1 said:

    I wouldn't be disappointed in this move.

    He seems to be flying a little under the radar, do you expect Sawyer to be available at 33? I do not. In this scenario, I'd be elated if he was.

    There’s a lot of edge guys projected in Round 1, so I could possibly see Sawyer available at 33. 

  • @ap1 said:

    I wouldn't be disappointed in this move.

    He seems to be flying a little under the radar, do you expect Sawyer to be available at 33? I do not. In this scenario, I'd be elated if he was.

    There’s a lot of edge guys projected in Round 1, so I could possibly see Sawyer available at 33. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    There’s a lot of edge guys projected in Round 1, so I could possibly see Sawyer available at 33. 

    I don't know if this is good or creepy but Dutch knows what I'm thinking better than I do; and he ain't even trying.

    I'm starting to like seeing the Prevagen commercials... 

  • @flugel said:

    All true; but my not being sold never had anything to do with his physical attributes. There was nothing to argue with there. It was just a gut and a position that is heavily weighed by sacks fair or not - his best season by a mile was only 7.5 sacks in a 16 game season. An NFL career often involves the adversity of a season ending injury or 2, etc.  SF only kept him 1 year - then he went to the Saints.  Maybe I'm not being fair and you had some good points about when he was healthy.

    Back to the context of the draft and Abdul Carter - he's a tremendous talent with a great motor as we've seen very recently.  We also see he has an injury that all interested teams should do some thorough research on.  Hopefully it's not something serious if that's the guy the Browns end up wanting at #2.

     Agreed, injury history in college needs to be taken into account.

     While we're looking at Abdul, I have to ask how he fits into the defense as a full time player.   He's around 250lbs in-season, which can be a bit light for playing edge 4 man fronts.  He isn't all that much bigger than Ogbo who has struggled when teams run right at him. 

     Begs the question, are we going to be mixing in more odd fronts and blended gap schemes to help keep him clean(er) on the edge?   Is it possible to use him similar to how Denver used Von early on - he would play the WILL in their "base" even fronts then play edge in passing situations and sub-packages.   That last one opens up even more questions...   Can Carter function as an off-ball LB?  Does that merit investing potentially a top 5 pick in? Will you get them snaps out of him to make an every down difference in that role? 

     I know we're big on talent first, THEN fit, but when you start to see stability in a coaching staff, the latter tends to become more important. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    looking at Abdul, I have to ask how he fits into the defense as a full time player.   He's around 250lbs in-season, which can be a bit light for playing edge 4 man fronts

    Agreed.

  • so i believe thats 12 picks total

  • As much as I enjoy theorizing about Madden-esque trading down, isnt Hunter the obvious choice? Generational two-way talent, that fulfills needs at both sides of the ball. I think most agree that you don't solve our QB situation with this years' draft. Sign Cousins, or get Flacco backo as a placeholder. 

    A good deal of our formerly vaunted O-line is old and in decline, so investing a deal bit of our other draft assets on overhauling that seems like a good investment.

  • As much as I enjoy theorizing about Madden-esque trading down, isnt Hunter the obvious choice? Generational two-way talent, that fulfills needs at both sides of the ball. I think most agree that you don't solve our QB situation with this years' draft. Sign Cousins, or get Flacco backo as a placeholder. 

    A good deal of our formerly vaunted O-line is old and in decline, so investing a deal bit of our other draft assets on overhauling that seems like a good investment.

    @korsou-dawg said:

    As much as I enjoy theorizing about Madden-esque trading down, isnt Hunter the obvious choice? Generational two-way talent, that fulfills needs at both sides of the ball. I think most agree that you don't solve our QB situation with this years' draft. Sign Cousins, or get Flacco backo as a placeholder. 

    A good deal of our formerly vaunted O-line is old and in decline, so investing a deal bit of our other draft assets on overhauling that seems like a good investment.

    If a team needs a great corner?  Check

    If a team needs speed and a scoring threat on the perimeter of their offense?  Check

    And YES, he'd play both.  It's not like he'd play every down on both units; but the roles fitting situations would be significant.  The game vrs the Chargers showed the Browns could relentlessly pressure the passer while their corners could mess up the wet dream.  Right now that secondary has forfeit written all over it.  

    On offense?  Do you want a veteran QB interested in coming here?  He's going to need some toys that put points on the board and improve matchup dynamics. Knowing the Browns are drafting at #2 after a QB most likely goes 1st - he'd help that!  

    Filling 2 needs with only 1 draft pick is something to consider.  If we're gonna go with let the draft fall to you - I wouldn't HATE this choice at all.  We have so many needs on this team we follow.

    I'm glad to see LT/OT is one of the areas this draft is supposed to be strong at in a year QB is not (meaning mid-round might be advisable for smart shoppers).  Monkey wrench: is Jimmy a smart shopper when it comes to QB?