Skip to content

Browns Have #2 Overall Draft Pick

The Browns Board
241 25 7.0k
  • @dutch-oven said:

    Are you discounting his blue-collar work ethic, high intelligence and high character? ?

    Coaches son, lunch pail kind of guy.  Quicker than he is fast. 

    @flugel said:

    At #2 overall?  Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2.  He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.

    Van Noy isn't a bad comparison, actually.  Up there with John Simon. 

     The Hunter talk is interesting.   I remember Patrick Peterson being discussed as the NFLs next two way player, and he was every bit the athlete if not more-so.  Eventually he settled in the position he will likely be a HoFer in - CB.   Buffalo used Travis as a WR for two reasons, ability and need.  It's not like their WR group had much depth.  Of the top 3 pass catchers, one of them will be drafted, Travis, top 5-7 and nobody else.  Those other 3 top WRs are seniors too.  

     It's a testament to the athlete and football player that Hunter is, something we all can appreciate.  But the NFL is another monster entirely.  He'll have to spend hundreds of hours grinding to further refine his speciality, that isn't including the 17+ game season that will now wear on his body.

    Load management is crucial in football.  This team isn't hurting so bad as to draft a WR top 5.   A top 5 DB?  That's possibly a different story. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Coaches son, lunch pail kind of guy.  Quicker than he is fast. 

    Van Noy isn't a bad comparison, actually.  Up there with John Simon. 

     The Hunter talk is interesting.   I remember Patrick Peterson being discussed as the NFLs next two way player, and he was every bit the athlete if not more-so.  Eventually he settled in the position he will likely be a HoFer in - CB.   Buffalo used Travis as a WR for two reasons, ability and need.  It's not like their WR group had much depth.  Of the top 3 pass catchers, one of them will be drafted, Travis, top 5-7 and nobody else.  Those other 3 top WRs are seniors too.  

     It's a testament to the athlete and football player that Hunter is, something we all can appreciate.  But the NFL is another monster entirely.  He'll have to spend hundreds of hours grinding to further refine his speciality, that isn't including the 17+ game season that will now wear on his body.

    Load management is crucial in football.  This team isn't hurting so bad as to draft a WR top 5.   A top 5 DB?  That's possibly a different story. 

    Well said!  I want him more as Corner first; and I think I might be a little over-ambitious in thinking he could evolve into splitting every other series with Eli Moore.  I do think it would be fun and helpful to see him get a hand full of plays on the perimeter. BUT, your reminder that a 17 game season playing offense and defense would put a lot of wear and tear on this kid.  Look what 17 games has already done with our injury volumes.  And Goodell wants 18 games as soon as he can do it.

  • @mld-woody said:

    If there's one OSU player I could veto it'd be Sawyer

    At #2 overall?  Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2.  He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.

    @flugel said:

    At #2 overall?  Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2.  He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.

    Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering. 

    I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round. 

  • @flugel said:

    At #2 overall?  Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2.  He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.

    Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering. 

    I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round. 

    @mld-woody said:

    Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering. 

    I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round. 

    You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism.  That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball.  I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch.  According to this video - not so fast.

    Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being.  The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.

    My guess?  The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in.  A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC.   Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT.  Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing.  Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football?  Film can be a very good indicator.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering. 

    I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round. 

    You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism.  That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball.  I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch.  According to this video - not so fast.

    Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being.  The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.

    My guess?  The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in.  A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC.   Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT.  Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing.  Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football?  Film can be a very good indicator.

    @flugel said:

    You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism.  That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball.  I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch.  According to this video - not so fast.

    Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being.  The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.

    My guess?  The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in.  A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC.   Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT.  Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing.  Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football?  Film can be a very good indicator.

    Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?

  • If there’s one Buckeye l hope we could get it’s Emeka Egbuka. It doesn’t sound like he’ll make it to the second round though and #2 seems too early with our pressing needs. Still, he’d look good as a Brown. 

  • @flugel said:

    You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism.  That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball.  I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch.  According to this video - not so fast.

    Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being.  The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.

    My guess?  The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in.  A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC.   Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT.  Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing.  Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football?  Film can be a very good indicator.

    Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?

    @tiamat63 said:

    Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?

    ? I didn't name anyone.  Not that I had to balls to argue with anyone thinking that prior to hindsight 20/20. Since you fessed up - I owed you that much.  If I spill any beer this weekend I'll know Tour wasn't happy with me either.  Pre hindsight 20/20, I did think Wirfs would be an excellent RT though. 

  • @flugel said:

    You're not the only one that seems to question his value or maybe his athleticism.  That said, Sawyer was also recruited by multiple DI schools to play basketball.  I remember back when JJ Watt was coming out in the draft and some people thought Robert Quinn would be better. Some knuckleheads that traded in their 4th box top of Captain Crunch cereal to be self proclaimed draft gurus said JJ didn't have Quinn's fast twitch.  According to this video - not so fast.

    Anyway, that strip sack Sawyer had against Texas that he recovered and returned 93 yards for a TD showed me a better athlete than some people want to credit him for being.  The guy he faced that day Cameron Williams was a 4 star recruit that is also entering the draft.

    My guess?  The combines/personal workouts will probably tell us more about what round he goes in.  A team like Baltimore didn't care how bad Orlando Brown Jr did - they drafted him where most other teams weren't even considering him. He started off playing RT and made the Pro Bowl as early as his second season. After success at RT he was moved to LT and made Pro Bowls in Baltimore and KC.   Tristan Wirfs was another guy countless scouts said would never be a LT.  Like, Orlando Brown he made the Pro Bowl at RT before making the switch to LT with the Pro Bowls continuing.  Sometimes it all boils down to - can he play football?  Film can be a very good indicator.

    Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?

    @tiamat63 said:

    Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?

    ...not always going to be right,

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Easy on that Wirfs one - I'm taking offense on behalf of myself AND our dearly departed Tour ?

    ...not always going to be right,

    @orion said:

    ...not always going to be right,

    True.   I'll live with 70% accuracy.

  • If there’s one Buckeye l hope we could get it’s Emeka Egbuka. It doesn’t sound like he’ll make it to the second round though and #2 seems too early with our pressing needs. Still, he’d look good as a Brown. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    If there’s one Buckeye l hope we could get it’s Emeka Egbuka. It doesn’t sound like he’ll make it to the second round though and #2 seems too early with our pressing needs. Still, he’d look good as a Brown. 

    There's so many Buckeyes I'd consider taking at #33 overall... Egbuka is definitely one of them. 

  • If there’s one Buckeye l hope we could get it’s Emeka Egbuka. It doesn’t sound like he’ll make it to the second round though and #2 seems too early with our pressing needs. Still, he’d look good as a Brown. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    If there’s one Buckeye l hope we could get it’s Emeka Egbuka. It doesn’t sound like he’ll make it to the second round though and #2 seems too early with our pressing needs. Still, he’d look good as a Brown. 

    He improved a lot over his career.  I like him too.  Blocks well on the perimeter.  The Rose Bowl deflected pass catch - degree of difficulty 9/10.  He is a pros pro in the intermediate game and that is 90 percent of the NFL game.  He will play for 12 seasons.  He will not be there at 33. And watch him be a Steeler or Raven 

  • @flugel said:

    At #2 overall?  Even Ohio State fans that appreciate the guy big time don't want him that early. I could see him going somewhere in round 2. Even if he goes Mike Mamula on his 40 time that isn't getting him to #2.  He'll probably fall to the Ratbirds somewhere sensible since Van Noy is heading into his mid 30s.

    Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering. 

    I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round. 

    @mld-woody said:

    Oh God no. Not at 2. That would go beyond pandering. 

    I just don't think he's that good. Try hard, work ethic guy, sure. But not anything close to the second round. 

    He'll go in the second round., with solid combine results. Some mocks have him late first round. We'll see.

  • @orion said:

    ...not always going to be right,

    True.   I'll live with 70% accuracy.

    @tiamat63 said:

    True.   I'll live with 70% accuracy.

    Look what I started.  Let's just say we live quite comfortably in here with your football IQ and research. Someone hired you for that. As you learned when we first got acquainted, if I have a beef with you - you're gonna hear it.  In this thread I only blamed the NFL scouts.  I had to laugh when you brought up Tour.  If he saw us interacting these days he'd probably say "It's about time you 2 decided your passions for football and this team should at least co-exist.  I was hoping Flugel would reach puberty before he got into his late 50s."  

  • @tiamat63 said:

    True.   I'll live with 70% accuracy.

    Look what I started.  Let's just say we live quite comfortably in here with your football IQ and research. Someone hired you for that. As you learned when we first got acquainted, if I have a beef with you - you're gonna hear it.  In this thread I only blamed the NFL scouts.  I had to laugh when you brought up Tour.  If he saw us interacting these days he'd probably say "It's about time you 2 decided your passions for football and this team should at least co-exist.  I was hoping Flugel would reach puberty before he got into his late 50s."  

    @flugel said:

    Look what I started.  Let's just say we live quite comfortably in here with your football IQ and research. Someone hired you for that. As you learned when we first got acquainted, if I have a beef with you - you're gonna hear it.  In this thread I only blamed the NFL scouts.  I had to laugh when you brought up Tour.  If he saw us interacting these days he'd probably say "It's about time you 2 decided your passions for football and this team should at least co-exist.  I was hoping Flugel would reach puberty before he got into his late 50s."  

    From all that I learned about Tour, I still keep something of a post-mordum score count on prospects I like vs the ones I believed he would (given the outline of traits and stats he would look for. 

     God love him, the fucker is still beating me from the afterlife. 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    If there’s one Buckeye l hope we could get it’s Emeka Egbuka. It doesn’t sound like he’ll make it to the second round though and #2 seems too early with our pressing needs. Still, he’d look good as a Brown. 

    There's so many Buckeyes I'd consider taking at #33 overall... Egbuka is definitely one of them. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    There's so many Buckeyes I'd consider taking at #33 overall... Egbuka is definitely one of them. 

    He and Judkins declared for the draft.

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    If there’s one Buckeye l hope we could get it’s Emeka Egbuka. It doesn’t sound like he’ll make it to the second round though and #2 seems too early with our pressing needs. Still, he’d look good as a Brown. 

    He improved a lot over his career.  I like him too.  Blocks well on the perimeter.  The Rose Bowl deflected pass catch - degree of difficulty 9/10.  He is a pros pro in the intermediate game and that is 90 percent of the NFL game.  He will play for 12 seasons.  He will not be there at 33. And watch him be a Steeler or Raven 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    He improved a lot over his career.  I like him too.  Blocks well on the perimeter.  The Rose Bowl deflected pass catch - degree of difficulty 9/10.  He is a pros pro in the intermediate game and that is 90 percent of the NFL game.  He will play for 12 seasons.  He will not be there at 33. And watch him be a Steeler or Raven 

    I watched more OSU games than usual this year and he was really impressive. Gritty player who was seemingly overshadowed at OSU during his tenure but ended up being the most pass catchingest guy in program history. 

    I watched a fair bit of IU this year too and another wideout l like is Elijah Sarrat. The mocks seem to think he’ll end up as a udfa. I’d use a 7th round pick on him. 

  • @flugel said:

    Look what I started.  Let's just say we live quite comfortably in here with your football IQ and research. Someone hired you for that. As you learned when we first got acquainted, if I have a beef with you - you're gonna hear it.  In this thread I only blamed the NFL scouts.  I had to laugh when you brought up Tour.  If he saw us interacting these days he'd probably say "It's about time you 2 decided your passions for football and this team should at least co-exist.  I was hoping Flugel would reach puberty before he got into his late 50s."  

    From all that I learned about Tour, I still keep something of a post-mordum score count on prospects I like vs the ones I believed he would (given the outline of traits and stats he would look for. 

     God love him, the fucker is still beating me from the afterlife. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    From all that I learned about Tour, I still keep something of a post-mordum score count on prospects I like vs the ones I believed he would (given the outline of traits and stats he would look for. 

     God love him, the fucker is still beating me from the afterlife. 

    I sure miss phone calls and private messages with ole Bruce. He and I had a lot of agreement on draft picks and politics. He pretty much convinced me to stop wasting my time trying to reason with the cult.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    From all that I learned about Tour, I still keep something of a post-mordum score count on prospects I like vs the ones I believed he would (given the outline of traits and stats he would look for. 

     God love him, the fucker is still beating me from the afterlife. 

    I sure miss phone calls and private messages with ole Bruce. He and I had a lot of agreement on draft picks and politics. He pretty much convinced me to stop wasting my time trying to reason with the cult.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I sure miss phone calls and private messages with ole Bruce. He and I had a lot of agreement on draft picks and politics. He pretty much convinced me to stop wasting my time trying to reason with the cult.

    We're all in some sort of a cult.  The only thing that separates us is the level of zealotry. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    From all that I learned about Tour, I still keep something of a post-mordum score count on prospects I like vs the ones I believed he would (given the outline of traits and stats he would look for. 

     God love him, the fucker is still beating me from the afterlife. 

    I sure miss phone calls and private messages with ole Bruce. He and I had a lot of agreement on draft picks and politics. He pretty much convinced me to stop wasting my time trying to reason with the cult.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I sure miss phone calls and private messages with ole Bruce. He and I had a lot of agreement on draft picks and politics. He pretty much convinced me to stop wasting my time trying to reason with the cult.

    Tour was 100% correct on that last part. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I sure miss phone calls and private messages with ole Bruce. He and I had a lot of agreement on draft picks and politics. He pretty much convinced me to stop wasting my time trying to reason with the cult.

    We're all in some sort of a cult.  The only thing that separates us is the level of zealotry. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    We're all in some sort of a cult.  The only thing that separates us is the level of zealotry. 

    And 1300 convicted followers convicted by juries plus 300 more indicted allowed free by their instigator. Clear difference in that cult vs the Browns or Aggie cults.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    He improved a lot over his career.  I like him too.  Blocks well on the perimeter.  The Rose Bowl deflected pass catch - degree of difficulty 9/10.  He is a pros pro in the intermediate game and that is 90 percent of the NFL game.  He will play for 12 seasons.  He will not be there at 33. And watch him be a Steeler or Raven 

    I watched more OSU games than usual this year and he was really impressive. Gritty player who was seemingly overshadowed at OSU during his tenure but ended up being the most pass catchingest guy in program history. 

    I watched a fair bit of IU this year too and another wideout l like is Elijah Sarrat. The mocks seem to think he’ll end up as a udfa. I’d use a 7th round pick on him. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I watched more OSU games than usual this year and he was really impressive. Gritty player who was seemingly overshadowed at OSU during his tenure but ended up being the most pass catchingest guy in program history. 

    I watched a fair bit of IU this year too and another wideout l like is Elijah Sarrat. The mocks seem to think he’ll end up as a udfa. I’d use a 7th round pick on him. 

    Sarratt impressed me too IBB