Skip to content

Who Are You Taking For Browns at #2?

The Browns Board
108 19 3.5k 1
  • M Marvin the Martian wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I do not think either QB is likely to be that great so I would get a free agent QB, draft either Carter or  Hunter.  Then I would look in the later rounds for a developmental QB and look for a great qB next year

  • I do not think either QB is likely to be that great so I would get a free agent QB, draft either Carter or  Hunter.  Then I would look in the later rounds for a developmental QB and look for a great qB next year

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @marvin-the-martian said:

    I do not think either QB is likely to be that great so I would get a free agent QB, draft either Carter or  Hunter.  Then I would look in the later rounds for a developmental QB and look for a great qB next year

    what the Martian said

  • @orion said:

    I'd take Sanders if he's there at #2.  I'd probably opt to trade down if TN took him.

    I was thinking about him this morning (probably because The Fan was talking about him) and I realized I have the same feeling regarding Sanders on-the-field as I did Baker prior to the draft: Good floor, so-so ceiling guy. A QB I'd be surprised if he turned out to be a bust, but I have doubts would ever be a top 5 type either. 

    But then you add in the potential off-field issues with drafting him, IMO. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @dutch-oven said:

    I was thinking about him this morning ... Good floor, so-so ceiling guy. A QB I'd be surprised if he turned out to be a bust,

    We don't have a QB. (I'm a freakin' broken record I know)  It's like playing tennis with a ping pong paddle.  Does the QB have to be great?   Well, he's gotta be pretty darned good.  From what I read about Sanders, he's accurate and has a decent arm (not a great arm).  He holds the ball too long and doesn't throw until he sees his receiver open.  What does that say about him?  To me it says that he's reluctant to throw the ball to the other team.  That's not a bad thing.  Does he have to be schooled to get the ball out on time?  Sure.  But I agree that odds are he won't be a total bust.  

    At first I felt that the Titans would take Cam Ward...but I now believe it will be Sanders that they pick.

    From what I see of Ward, I see a QB that can sling the ball around from any position.  Sidearm, 3/4, over the top, whatever.  Reminds me of Mahomes.  If we don't pick him, he's got nothing to worry about...he'll probably go 3rd, or 5th.  

  • sydS syd

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @syd said:

    Great memories - Thanks Syd!

  • JaxJ Jax wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Hunter

  • Spoiler alert:  If you don't want to read a long winded rant from this overcaffeinated blow hard - don't waste any time reading anything below...

    I didn't even hesitate to take Hunter in this poll last night.  I think Abdul Carter is a great player; but the last time I saw him play he kept leaving the game with pain/discomfort when his INJURED shoulder kept flaring up. For an undersized edge rusher, an injury to the ball and socket impacts the levers and wing span these guys rely on. Now factor in the reputation Jimmy's medical/sports med staff has here for their injury and reinjury volumes.  This has "hope he does well but the Browns can't afford another major risk like this guy" written all over it. Talented? Yes. #2 overall? That's the kind of Russian Roulette I saw in "Deer Hunter."  

    The last time the Browns drafted a "can't miss" edge rusher from Penn State #1 overall it was Courtney Brown in 2000 - he was average at best for this team.  To be honest, he was rarely ever injured in college while injuries in Cleveland became why many excused him.  I don't think he was horrible by any means; but a pick that high carries massive expectations.

    In 2001, Courtney Brown had a season ending injury so Jamir Miller went from a stand-up LBer to a 3 point stance on the edge.  Jamir ended with 13 sacks.  Much of this was after the 5th game (that Courtney got injured in) so that projects an even larger inventory of sacks and TFL. This was pretty much a position change for his first time in this role with the Browns. He looked way more like a 1st overall impact than Courtney Brown.

    Season Team Type G Solo Ast Total TFL Sack YdsL Int IntYds IntTD FF PD Sfty
    2000 CLE Reg 16 64 21 85 9 5.0 43 1 0 0 0 7 0
    2001 CLE Reg 16 83 18 101 22 13.0 72 1 0 0 4 14 0

    Here's a cut and paste from Wikipedia in italics

    Up until 2007, Jamir Miller was the only Browns player to be selected to the Pro Bowl since the team re-entered the NFL in 1999. In 2007, seven Browns players were nominated to the 2008 Pro Bowl. Miller was one of four linebackers selected to the Associated Press All-Pro team in 2001. (The other 3 were Jason Gildon, Brian Urlacher, and Ray Lewis.)

    Miller was carted off the field after tearing his right Achilles tendon in a 27–15 preseason victory over the Minnesota Vikings to start the 2002 pre-season. He was placed on injured reserve August 13, 2002, but the severity of his injury led to him being waived on February 22, 2003, the end of the 2002 campaign. Afterwards he retired.

    Here's Courtney Brown's NFL career and a lot of his Tackles for a Loss in the rookie season were backside clampdowns where many opposing O-lines were reach blocking to the play-side meaning nobody was assigned to touch Courtney Brown coming from the backside (quite often not even a reach and hinge was used to attempt to seal him off or slow him down). A big guy like that with 4.6 speed and a huge wing span was wreaking havoc when opponents weren't even trying to block him.  The more teams got film on him the more they decided to run at him the way TSUN did in the Big 10 for their long sustained TD scoring drives that beat that Penn State team.

    So here's his career stats:

    Career Defense Defense
    Season Team Type G Solo Ast Total TFL Sack YdsL Int IntYds IntTD FF PD Sfty
    Total - Reg 58 156 40 196 0 19.0 118 0 0 0 7 23 0
    2000 CLE Reg 16 61 8 69 16 4.5 23 0 0 0 0 8 0
    2001 CLE Reg 5 14 7 21 4 4.5 39 0 0 0 2 4 0
    2002 CLE Reg 11 30 12 42 4 2.0 10 0 0 0 1 6 0
    2003 CLE Reg 13 29 9 38 6 6.0 33 0 0 0 4 4 0
    2004 CLE Reg 2 2 0 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    2005 DEN Reg 14 20 4 24 1 2.0 14 0 0 0 0 1 0

    If you're still reading - why all that? The NFL is a copy cat league so when someone finds your weakness - it goes viral to all future opponents. I'm not saying Abdul Carter is the same guy; but you better believe an injury like that should be researched thoroughly before he has to count on whatever kind of medical staff Jimmy has been using for his franchise.  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @flugel said:

    Spoiler alert:  If you don't want to read a long winded rant from this overcaffeinated blow hard - don't waste any time reading anything below...

    I didn't even hesitate to take Hunter in this poll last night.  I think Abdul Carter is a great player; but the last time I saw him play he kept leaving the game with pain/discomfort when his INJURED shoulder kept flaring up. For an undersized edge rusher, an injury to the ball and socket impacts the levers and wing span these guys rely on. Now factor in the reputation Jimmy's medical/sports med staff has here for their injury and reinjury volumes.  This has "hope he does well but the Browns can't afford another major risk like this guy" written all over it. Talented? Yes. #2 overall? That's the kind of Russian Roulette I saw in "Deer Hunter."  

    The last time the Browns drafted a "can't miss" edge rusher from Penn State #1 overall it was Courtney Brown in 2000 - he was average at best for this team.  To be honest, he was rarely ever injured in college while injuries in Cleveland became why many excused him.  I don't think he was horrible by any means; but a pick that high carries massive expectations.

    In 2001, Courtney Brown had a season ending injury so Jamir Miller went from a stand-up LBer to a 3 point stance on the edge.  Jamir ended with 13 sacks.  Much of this was after the 5th game (that Courtney got injured in) so that projects an even larger inventory of sacks and TFL. This was pretty much a position change for his first time in this role with the Browns. He looked way more like a 1st overall impact than Courtney Brown.

    Season Team Type G Solo Ast Total TFL Sack YdsL Int IntYds IntTD FF PD Sfty
    2000 CLE Reg 16 64 21 85 9 5.0 43 1 0 0 0 7 0
    2001 CLE Reg 16 83 18 101 22 13.0 72 1 0 0 4 14 0

    Here's a cut and paste from Wikipedia in italics

    Up until 2007, Jamir Miller was the only Browns player to be selected to the Pro Bowl since the team re-entered the NFL in 1999. In 2007, seven Browns players were nominated to the 2008 Pro Bowl. Miller was one of four linebackers selected to the Associated Press All-Pro team in 2001. (The other 3 were Jason Gildon, Brian Urlacher, and Ray Lewis.)

    Miller was carted off the field after tearing his right Achilles tendon in a 27–15 preseason victory over the Minnesota Vikings to start the 2002 pre-season. He was placed on injured reserve August 13, 2002, but the severity of his injury led to him being waived on February 22, 2003, the end of the 2002 campaign. Afterwards he retired.

    Here's Courtney Brown's NFL career and a lot of his Tackles for a Loss in the rookie season were backside clampdowns where many opposing O-lines were reach blocking to the play-side meaning nobody was assigned to touch Courtney Brown coming from the backside (quite often not even a reach and hinge was used to attempt to seal him off or slow him down). A big guy like that with 4.6 speed and a huge wing span was wreaking havoc when opponents weren't even trying to block him.  The more teams got film on him the more they decided to run at him the way TSUN did in the Big 10 for their long sustained TD scoring drives that beat that Penn State team.

    So here's his career stats:

    Career Defense Defense
    Season Team Type G Solo Ast Total TFL Sack YdsL Int IntYds IntTD FF PD Sfty
    Total - Reg 58 156 40 196 0 19.0 118 0 0 0 7 23 0
    2000 CLE Reg 16 61 8 69 16 4.5 23 0 0 0 0 8 0
    2001 CLE Reg 5 14 7 21 4 4.5 39 0 0 0 2 4 0
    2002 CLE Reg 11 30 12 42 4 2.0 10 0 0 0 1 6 0
    2003 CLE Reg 13 29 9 38 6 6.0 33 0 0 0 4 4 0
    2004 CLE Reg 2 2 0 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    2005 DEN Reg 14 20 4 24 1 2.0 14 0 0 0 0 1 0

    If you're still reading - why all that? The NFL is a copy cat league so when someone finds your weakness - it goes viral to all future opponents. I'm not saying Abdul Carter is the same guy; but you better believe an injury like that should be researched thoroughly before he has to count on whatever kind of medical staff Jimmy has been using for his franchise.  

    I see everyone took my advice in the spoiler alert. ?

  • @flugel said:

    Spoiler alert:  If you don't want to read a long winded rant from this overcaffeinated blow hard - don't waste any time reading anything below...

    I didn't even hesitate to take Hunter in this poll last night.  I think Abdul Carter is a great player; but the last time I saw him play he kept leaving the game with pain/discomfort when his INJURED shoulder kept flaring up. For an undersized edge rusher, an injury to the ball and socket impacts the levers and wing span these guys rely on. Now factor in the reputation Jimmy's medical/sports med staff has here for their injury and reinjury volumes.  This has "hope he does well but the Browns can't afford another major risk like this guy" written all over it. Talented? Yes. #2 overall? That's the kind of Russian Roulette I saw in "Deer Hunter."  

    The last time the Browns drafted a "can't miss" edge rusher from Penn State #1 overall it was Courtney Brown in 2000 - he was average at best for this team.  To be honest, he was rarely ever injured in college while injuries in Cleveland became why many excused him.  I don't think he was horrible by any means; but a pick that high carries massive expectations.

    In 2001, Courtney Brown had a season ending injury so Jamir Miller went from a stand-up LBer to a 3 point stance on the edge.  Jamir ended with 13 sacks.  Much of this was after the 5th game (that Courtney got injured in) so that projects an even larger inventory of sacks and TFL. This was pretty much a position change for his first time in this role with the Browns. He looked way more like a 1st overall impact than Courtney Brown.

    Season Team Type G Solo Ast Total TFL Sack YdsL Int IntYds IntTD FF PD Sfty
    2000 CLE Reg 16 64 21 85 9 5.0 43 1 0 0 0 7 0
    2001 CLE Reg 16 83 18 101 22 13.0 72 1 0 0 4 14 0

    Here's a cut and paste from Wikipedia in italics

    Up until 2007, Jamir Miller was the only Browns player to be selected to the Pro Bowl since the team re-entered the NFL in 1999. In 2007, seven Browns players were nominated to the 2008 Pro Bowl. Miller was one of four linebackers selected to the Associated Press All-Pro team in 2001. (The other 3 were Jason Gildon, Brian Urlacher, and Ray Lewis.)

    Miller was carted off the field after tearing his right Achilles tendon in a 27–15 preseason victory over the Minnesota Vikings to start the 2002 pre-season. He was placed on injured reserve August 13, 2002, but the severity of his injury led to him being waived on February 22, 2003, the end of the 2002 campaign. Afterwards he retired.

    Here's Courtney Brown's NFL career and a lot of his Tackles for a Loss in the rookie season were backside clampdowns where many opposing O-lines were reach blocking to the play-side meaning nobody was assigned to touch Courtney Brown coming from the backside (quite often not even a reach and hinge was used to attempt to seal him off or slow him down). A big guy like that with 4.6 speed and a huge wing span was wreaking havoc when opponents weren't even trying to block him.  The more teams got film on him the more they decided to run at him the way TSUN did in the Big 10 for their long sustained TD scoring drives that beat that Penn State team.

    So here's his career stats:

    Career Defense Defense
    Season Team Type G Solo Ast Total TFL Sack YdsL Int IntYds IntTD FF PD Sfty
    Total - Reg 58 156 40 196 0 19.0 118 0 0 0 7 23 0
    2000 CLE Reg 16 61 8 69 16 4.5 23 0 0 0 0 8 0
    2001 CLE Reg 5 14 7 21 4 4.5 39 0 0 0 2 4 0
    2002 CLE Reg 11 30 12 42 4 2.0 10 0 0 0 1 6 0
    2003 CLE Reg 13 29 9 38 6 6.0 33 0 0 0 4 4 0
    2004 CLE Reg 2 2 0 2 1 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    2005 DEN Reg 14 20 4 24 1 2.0 14 0 0 0 0 1 0

    If you're still reading - why all that? The NFL is a copy cat league so when someone finds your weakness - it goes viral to all future opponents. I'm not saying Abdul Carter is the same guy; but you better believe an injury like that should be researched thoroughly before he has to count on whatever kind of medical staff Jimmy has been using for his franchise.  

    I see everyone took my advice in the spoiler alert. ?

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @flugel said:

    I see everyone took my advice in the spoiler alert. ?

    We're damaged lol.

    Our IQs have deteriorated being Browns fans ?

  • @flugel said:

    I see everyone took my advice in the spoiler alert. ?

    We're damaged lol.

    Our IQs have deteriorated being Browns fans ?

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @bob806 said:

    We're damaged lol.

    Our IQs have deteriorated being Browns fans ?

    For example, we're gonna have some fun with all our dreaming about the exciting opportunities this draft has available for our draft position.  

    Looking at what Yahoo drafted for both of Cal's fantasy football teams - maybe Jimmy ought to look to Yahoo to do his draft...

  • @bob806 said:

    We're damaged lol.

    Our IQs have deteriorated being Browns fans ?

    For example, we're gonna have some fun with all our dreaming about the exciting opportunities this draft has available for our draft position.  

    Looking at what Yahoo drafted for both of Cal's fantasy football teams - maybe Jimmy ought to look to Yahoo to do his draft...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @flugel said:

    For example, we're gonna have some fun with all our dreaming about the exciting opportunities this draft has available for our draft position.  

    Looking at what Yahoo drafted for both of Cal's fantasy football teams - maybe Jimmy ought to look to Yahoo to do his draft...

    Wait, Cal doesn't even draft his own teams?!

  • @flugel said:

    For example, we're gonna have some fun with all our dreaming about the exciting opportunities this draft has available for our draft position.  

    Looking at what Yahoo drafted for both of Cal's fantasy football teams - maybe Jimmy ought to look to Yahoo to do his draft...

    Wait, Cal doesn't even draft his own teams?!

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @tiamat63 said:

    Wait, Cal doesn't even draft his own teams?!

    And you act surprised, you silly goose... 

  • @flugel said:

    For example, we're gonna have some fun with all our dreaming about the exciting opportunities this draft has available for our draft position.  

    Looking at what Yahoo drafted for both of Cal's fantasy football teams - maybe Jimmy ought to look to Yahoo to do his draft...

    Wait, Cal doesn't even draft his own teams?!

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @tiamat63 said:

    Wait, Cal doesn't even draft his own teams?!

    I try to, didn't get to it this past season.

    Hope you can play fantasy football next season, it would be

    fun to beat you, too.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Wait, Cal doesn't even draft his own teams?!

    I try to, didn't get to it this past season.

    Hope you can play fantasy football next season, it would be

    fun to beat you, too.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @calfoxwc said:

    I try to, didn't get to it this past season.

    Hope you can play fantasy football next season, it would be

    fun to beat you, too.

    @dutch-oven said:

    And you act surprised, you silly goose... 

    I can hear that chant coming out of the Ohio woods, "A.I.,A.I., A.I."  So all that bragging was learned from a mentor. Who could it be??

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I try to, didn't get to it this past season.

    Hope you can play fantasy football next season, it would be

    fun to beat you, too.

    @dutch-oven said:

    And you act surprised, you silly goose... 

    I can hear that chant coming out of the Ohio woods, "A.I.,A.I., A.I."  So all that bragging was learned from a mentor. Who could it be??

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @texasag1969 said:

    I can hear that chant coming out of the Ohio woods, "A.I.,A.I., A.I."  So all that bragging was learned from a mentor. Who could it be??

    Would that be before or after he recounts the bullshit story about why he couldn't play football in high school 50 years ago? 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Wait, Cal doesn't even draft his own teams?!

    I try to, didn't get to it this past season.

    Hope you can play fantasy football next season, it would be

    fun to beat you, too.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @calfoxwc said:

    I try to, didn't get to it this past season.

    Hope you can play fantasy football next season, it would be

    fun to beat you, too.

    Playing in a fantasy league where guys likely won't draft their own team?   Nah, I'm good, thanks. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #38

    So roughly 12 weeks before the Draft, it appears Travis Hunter is the sexy pick for Browns fans on here. 

    I'll post this again around the 6 week mark, then in the week leading up. It will be interesting to see if things change. 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #39

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #40
  • @calfoxwc said:

    I try to, didn't get to it this past season.

    Hope you can play fantasy football next season, it would be

    fun to beat you, too.

    Playing in a fantasy league where guys likely won't draft their own team?   Nah, I'm good, thanks. 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @tiamat63 said:

    Playing in a fantasy league where guys likely won't draft their own team?   Nah, I'm good, thanks. 

    no, I'll arrange for all of us to draft our players.

    Go for it.

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @syd said:

    Browns pegged as ideal fit for NFL draft's most controversial player

    Like I said earlier, I'm fine with Sanders. His Daddy has to let go at some point.

    I suppose there's been reports of the Cowboys being interested in Sanders. Jerry Jones might over do it with a trade offer, we will see.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #43

    @syd said:

    Browns pegged as ideal fit for NFL draft's most controversial player

    Many within the Cleveland Browns fanbase do not like Shedeur Sanders, predominantly because of his dad and little to do with his play, but he may just be their ideal player in the 2025 NFL draft.

    .......Sanders’ accuracy and ability to play in structure may just fit him in like a glove with head coach Kevin Stefanski.  ( I like a QB wants to play 'in structure' rather than one that goes off script at the drop of a hat )

    PFF’s Jordan Plocher and Josh Liskiewitz agree. In their article pairing one prospect for each of the 32 NFL teams, it was Sanders who fell into the most ideal fit for the Browns. Here is what they had to say:

    “Everyone in Cleveland would prefer to just sweep the whole Deshaun Watson experiment under the rug and move on. The Sheduer Sanders selection allows the team, the fans and the city to move on toward the future. Sanders is a highly accurate quarterback, as his 81.6 adjusted completion percentage ranked No.1 among FBS quarterbacks with an 8.0-yard average depth of target. Sanders is a multiple-year starter who should be able to start from the beginning of his career if Watson starts the season on the physically unable to perform list.”

    There is no doubt that Sanders is the most accurate quarterback in the class, and by a comfortable margin. According to Daft on Draft’s Weighted On-Target Percentage metric, Sanders leads the class with a number of 73.26 percent. Going back to last year, this would have been the second-highest in last year’s class, behind only the likely NFL Rookie of the Year Jayden Daniels.

    --------  My 2 cents...He will go to the team with the #1 pick.