Skip to content

ESPN's Top 25 Draft Prospects This Year

The Browns Board
63 11 1.4k
  • JaxJ Jax wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I'm all in on the trenches, if they make good, solid picks. Nothing fancy.

  • @orion said:

    hmm...they have Sanders & Ward listed back to back.  Many have Ward well behind Sanders.

    ...and remember, QB's are graded on a curve compared to every other position due to the incredible importance of that position.

    Well said.  So much for anyone trying to trade up with us to get 1 of those guys.  That said, how precise are any of these Pre Draft rankings were gonna keep seeing?  I shared this one just so we can visualize some prospects with our many needs and have some fun talking about the possibilities ahead. 

    Very nice to see how plentiful LT/OT is in round 1 beginning with Ohio State's Josh Simmons (although he's coming off a major injury). Then there's Josh Conerly Jr (Oregon) and Will Campbell (LSU), Kelvin Banks Jr (Texas). And then there's OG/LT Donovan Jackson at #32 who replaced Josh Simmons after his season ending injury.

    Some of these top OTs suffered injuries last year; and the last thing this team needs is another injury prone Tackle. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @flugel said:

    how precise are any of these Pre Draft rankings were gonna keep seeing?  I shared this one just so we can visualize some prospects with our many needs and have some fun talking about the possibilities ahead. 

    It's interesting to see how different 'experts' see things.  Someone's bound to have your (or my) guy being selected by the Browns. 

    @jax said:

    I'm all in on the trenches, if they make good, solid picks. Nothing fancy.

     100% agree.  Even with the #1 overall pick.  BUT, if we pass up on the top 2 QB's and they turn out to be good NFL QB's, and we continue to suffer at the most important position on the team, well, that decision maker has to go.  -  In other words, if you pass on those 2 QB's in the draft because they're not good, you better be right.  (that's pretty much been my motto ever since we finished the season in position to draft one of them.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Is Josh Simmons a Top 10 player? And Donovan Jackson not on the list?  I know positional value is important, but aside from Carter beating Jackson a few times (no shame in that) he certainly nothing to sleep on. 

    Another one Omarion Hampton UNC RB if Jeanty is 4 Hampton shouldn’t be too far behind. 

  • Is Josh Simmons a Top 10 player? And Donovan Jackson not on the list?  I know positional value is important, but aside from Carter beating Jackson a few times (no shame in that) he certainly nothing to sleep on. 

    Another one Omarion Hampton UNC RB if Jeanty is 4 Hampton shouldn’t be too far behind. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Is Josh Simmons a Top 10 player? And Donovan Jackson not on the list?  I know positional value is important, but aside from Carter beating Jackson a few times (no shame in that) he certainly nothing to sleep on. 

    Another one Omarion Hampton UNC RB if Jeanty is 4 Hampton shouldn’t be too far behind. 

    Good question.  I think he was considered Top 10 before his injury; but I'm not sure how accurate everyone is getting pegged on this one by ESPN or any others for that matter. 

    Like you, I'm very impressed with Donovan Jackson especially knowing he's most wired to play G but the only edge rusher that really challenged him as a LT IMO was Carter.  Here's where he's ranked on this list, which is still 1st round:

    image.png.107c3d9b2d2fa1d645fbdcf66c7ec9a8.png

  • I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but sweet 8lb, 6oz baby Jesus, I looooove the first round this year if you consider the Browns needs and my want for them to heavily invest on both sides of the line of scrimmage. 

    We need OTackles and DLine, and just take a gander at that ESPN list. Just look at it. Take a peek. Play peek-a-boo with it. Stare at it longingly. Make sweet love to it with your eyeballs. 

    But I still contend the worst thing Haslam could have done is to keep the current people in charge, because this team is SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF ITS COLLECTIVE MOTHERFUCKING LUNGS for a rebuild, and people desperately hanging on to their jobs don't make moves for the best interests of the team long-term, they make moves that can help them win TODAY. (When you say TODAY in your head while reading this, think Robert DeNiro choking out the Jewish hairpiece guy who owes him money in 'Goodfellas'. "I want my money TODAY! TODAY!)

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @dutch-oven said:

    I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but sweet 8lb, 6oz baby Jesus, I looooove the first round this year if you consider the Browns needs and my want for them to heavily invest on both sides of the line of scrimmage. 

    We need OTackles and DLine, and just take a gander at that ESPN list. Just look at it. Take a peek. Play peek-a-boo with it. Stare at it longingly. Make sweet love to it with your eyeballs. 

    But I still contend the worst thing Haslam could have done is to keep the current people in charge, because this team is SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF ITS COLLECTIVE MOTHERFUCKING LUNGS for a rebuild, and people desperately hanging on to their jobs don't make moves for the best interests of the team long-term, they make moves that can help them win TODAY. (When you say TODAY in your head while reading this, think Robert DeNiro choking out the Jewish hairpiece guy who owes him money in 'Goodfellas'. "I want my money TODAY! TODAY!)

    I don't know.  If a player can help you win today, why couldn't they help you in the future?

    I understand what you are saying, but in looking at the names on the posted list, all except the QB's can help on both fronts.  I said except QB's because they are always the highest risk pick on the board.

    I also must note that no player is a sure thing. Evey player you could pick carries the risk of not working out. This would be a good time to somehow get a peek at "Biff's" sports almanac.

  • @flugel said:

    how precise are any of these Pre Draft rankings were gonna keep seeing?  I shared this one just so we can visualize some prospects with our many needs and have some fun talking about the possibilities ahead. 

    It's interesting to see how different 'experts' see things.  Someone's bound to have your (or my) guy being selected by the Browns. 

    @jax said:

    I'm all in on the trenches, if they make good, solid picks. Nothing fancy.

     100% agree.  Even with the #1 overall pick.  BUT, if we pass up on the top 2 QB's and they turn out to be good NFL QB's, and we continue to suffer at the most important position on the team, well, that decision maker has to go.  -  In other words, if you pass on those 2 QB's in the draft because they're not good, you better be right.  (that's pretty much been my motto ever since we finished the season in position to draft one of them.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #14

    @orion said:

    It's interesting to see how different 'experts' see things.  Someone's bound to have your (or my) guy being selected by the Browns. 

     100% agree.  Even with the #1 overall pick.  BUT, if we pass up on the top 2 QB's and they turn out to be good NFL QB's, and we continue to suffer at the most important position on the team, well, that decision maker has to go.  -  In other words, if you pass on those 2 QB's in the draft because they're not good, you better be right.  (that's pretty much been my motto ever since we finished the season in position to draft one of them.

    It's like that with any higher pick.  If you pass on a player because you don't think he will be good and he is good, or you pick a player who ends up a bum, they both carry the same risk.  I do agree the stakes are higher when picking or not picking a QB. Especially for a team who hasn't had a good QB in forever.

    Sometimes I think that teams who need a QB should follow the college template and just load up on QB's.  Most of the big college schools always have 2-3 guys who end up transferring and go on to have great careers at another school.  Heck, for the Browns, if the need is QB, draft 3 over the first 3 rounds if that is what it takes to end up with 1 good QB.

    Yes, I know that won't happen but for the long term that might be the best thing to do. I do think we could see us draft 2 QB's in this draft. Maybe not in both the 1st and 2nd rounds, but I could see us do something like the 1st and 3rd rounds, or 2nd and 4th. Especially if we do trade Myles and get a 1st and 2nd or 3rd this year as a starting point for a trade. I know we will get more next year but I am not here to debate what else we could, should, or will get next year.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but sweet 8lb, 6oz baby Jesus, I looooove the first round this year if you consider the Browns needs and my want for them to heavily invest on both sides of the line of scrimmage. 

    We need OTackles and DLine, and just take a gander at that ESPN list. Just look at it. Take a peek. Play peek-a-boo with it. Stare at it longingly. Make sweet love to it with your eyeballs. 

    But I still contend the worst thing Haslam could have done is to keep the current people in charge, because this team is SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF ITS COLLECTIVE MOTHERFUCKING LUNGS for a rebuild, and people desperately hanging on to their jobs don't make moves for the best interests of the team long-term, they make moves that can help them win TODAY. (When you say TODAY in your head while reading this, think Robert DeNiro choking out the Jewish hairpiece guy who owes him money in 'Goodfellas'. "I want my money TODAY! TODAY!)

    I don't know.  If a player can help you win today, why couldn't they help you in the future?

    I understand what you are saying, but in looking at the names on the posted list, all except the QB's can help on both fronts.  I said except QB's because they are always the highest risk pick on the board.

    I also must note that no player is a sure thing. Evey player you could pick carries the risk of not working out. This would be a good time to somehow get a peek at "Biff's" sports almanac.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't know.  If a player can help you win today, why couldn't they help you in the future?

    I understand what you are saying, but in looking at the names on the posted list, all except the QB's can help on both fronts.  I said except QB's because they are always the highest risk pick on the board.

    I also must note that no player is a sure thing. Evey player you could pick carries the risk of not working out. This would be a good time to somehow get a peek at "Biff's" sports almanac.

    The best example of this regarding the Browns is Butch Davis signing a 35 year old Jeff Garcia and drafting Kellen Winslow II in a desperate attempt to win TODAY and passing on Ben Roethlisberger. Longterm drafting Big Ben would have solved the QB situation for a decade and a half.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I don't know.  If a player can help you win today, why couldn't they help you in the future?

    I understand what you are saying, but in looking at the names on the posted list, all except the QB's can help on both fronts.  I said except QB's because they are always the highest risk pick on the board.

    I also must note that no player is a sure thing. Evey player you could pick carries the risk of not working out. This would be a good time to somehow get a peek at "Biff's" sports almanac.

    The best example of this regarding the Browns is Butch Davis signing a 35 year old Jeff Garcia and drafting Kellen Winslow II in a desperate attempt to win TODAY and passing on Ben Roethlisberger. Longterm drafting Big Ben would have solved the QB situation for a decade and a half.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @dutch-oven said:

    The best example of this regarding the Browns is Butch Davis signing a 35 year old Jeff Garcia and drafting Kellen Winslow II in a desperate attempt to win TODAY and passing on Ben Roethlisberger. Longterm drafting Big Ben would have solved the QB situation for a decade and a half.

    We can probably point to others.  I also wanted Ben, but it is what it is, even if the "is" sucks.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    The best example of this regarding the Browns is Butch Davis signing a 35 year old Jeff Garcia and drafting Kellen Winslow II in a desperate attempt to win TODAY and passing on Ben Roethlisberger. Longterm drafting Big Ben would have solved the QB situation for a decade and a half.

    We can probably point to others.  I also wanted Ben, but it is what it is, even if the "is" sucks.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @ballpeen said:

    I also wanted Ben

    Reportedly, he was shocked that we passed him up.  We had lead him to expect that we would draft him.  It's been a quarter century of very bad drafting and executive decisions.  

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #18

    I wanted no part of Josh Allen; he was wildly inaccurate at Wyoming even with less talented WRs.  If he was in this draft today I’d say the same thing.

    Johnny, Kizer and Quinn didn’t want them either. 

    I wasn’t too jazzed about Weeden.  But given the time and our past I thought he was a decent option. 

    I was okay with Baker but wanted Rosen.

    Didnt like Hurts coming out  

    I thought Russell Wilson would be a steal.

    admittedly most of the time  I have no idea and some of the experts have a better idea and it is still not that good.

    Garrett Nussmeier next year is intriguing. 

    Drafting three in one class and passing up the next Joel Bitonio or JOK I don’t know about that 

  • I wanted no part of Josh Allen; he was wildly inaccurate at Wyoming even with less talented WRs.  If he was in this draft today I’d say the same thing.

    Johnny, Kizer and Quinn didn’t want them either. 

    I wasn’t too jazzed about Weeden.  But given the time and our past I thought he was a decent option. 

    I was okay with Baker but wanted Rosen.

    Didnt like Hurts coming out  

    I thought Russell Wilson would be a steal.

    admittedly most of the time  I have no idea and some of the experts have a better idea and it is still not that good.

    Garrett Nussmeier next year is intriguing. 

    Drafting three in one class and passing up the next Joel Bitonio or JOK I don’t know about that 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Garrett Nussmeier next year is intriguing. 

    I can't remember who it was locally but they said this kid would be a great fit with Stefanski.

    We'll see if he's still here by next draft.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Now that I think of it, if I ran the Browns I'd wait until AFTER the draft to trade Myles.

    I wouldn't take Sanders or Ward at #2. I'd probably take Carter as of today.

    I'd trade Myles this summer, after the cap hit goes down, for two first rounders (2026 and 2027).

    I then go into the 2026 Draft with two first rounders, with another two first rounders in 2027. If I have to move up to get my QB, I have a ton of ammo. I could conceivably give up my first rounder and my added first rounder in the 2026 Draft and one of the first rounders I have for 2027. I get my QB and still have a first rounder in 2027.

  • I wanted no part of Josh Allen; he was wildly inaccurate at Wyoming even with less talented WRs.  If he was in this draft today I’d say the same thing.

    Johnny, Kizer and Quinn didn’t want them either. 

    I wasn’t too jazzed about Weeden.  But given the time and our past I thought he was a decent option. 

    I was okay with Baker but wanted Rosen.

    Didnt like Hurts coming out  

    I thought Russell Wilson would be a steal.

    admittedly most of the time  I have no idea and some of the experts have a better idea and it is still not that good.

    Garrett Nussmeier next year is intriguing. 

    Drafting three in one class and passing up the next Joel Bitonio or JOK I don’t know about that 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I wanted no part of Josh Allen; he was wildly inaccurate at Wyoming even with less talented WRs.  If he was in this draft today I’d say the same thing.

    Johnny, Kizer and Quinn didn’t want them either. 

    I wasn’t too jazzed about Weeden.  But given the time and our past I thought he was a decent option. 

    I was okay with Baker but wanted Rosen.

    Didnt like Hurts coming out  

    I thought Russell Wilson would be a steal.

    admittedly most of the time  I have no idea and some of the experts have a better idea and it is still not that good.

    Garrett Nussmeier next year is intriguing. 

    Drafting three in one class and passing up the next Joel Bitonio or JOK I don’t know about that 

    ...an honest post above.   I, as I always have / do,  wanted the tallest drink of water with the strongest arm.  I liked Josh Allen, and thought we would draft Sam Darnald...whom I'd have wanted more than little Baker.  But when Baker was chosen I supported him.  It wasn't until the season before Baker's injury season that I wound up not liking him.  He wasn't / isn't a bad QB, I just felt, like the Haslems, that he wasn't quite good enough.  

    Anyhow...Tankathon has us picking Will Howard with #94.  

  • Now that I think of it, if I ran the Browns I'd wait until AFTER the draft to trade Myles.

    I wouldn't take Sanders or Ward at #2. I'd probably take Carter as of today.

    I'd trade Myles this summer, after the cap hit goes down, for two first rounders (2026 and 2027).

    I then go into the 2026 Draft with two first rounders, with another two first rounders in 2027. If I have to move up to get my QB, I have a ton of ammo. I could conceivably give up my first rounder and my added first rounder in the 2026 Draft and one of the first rounders I have for 2027. I get my QB and still have a first rounder in 2027.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @dutch-oven said:

    Now that I think of it, if I ran the Browns I'd wait until AFTER the draft to trade Myles.

    I wouldn't take Sanders or Ward at #2. I'd probably take Carter as of today.

    I'd trade Myles this summer, after the cap hit goes down, for two first rounders (2026 and 2027).

    I then go into the 2026 Draft with two first rounders, with another two first rounders in 2027. If I have to move up to get my QB, I have a ton of ammo. I could conceivably give up my first rounder and my added first rounder in the 2026 Draft and one of the first rounders I have for 2027. I get my QB and still have a first rounder in 2027.

    I have said the same that it will probably be after JUNE 1.  You get the cap saving that you don't get any other way.  Plus, maybe he likes the Browns position a bit more and reconsiders.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I wanted no part of Josh Allen; he was wildly inaccurate at Wyoming even with less talented WRs.  If he was in this draft today I’d say the same thing.

    Johnny, Kizer and Quinn didn’t want them either. 

    I wasn’t too jazzed about Weeden.  But given the time and our past I thought he was a decent option. 

    I was okay with Baker but wanted Rosen.

    Didnt like Hurts coming out  

    I thought Russell Wilson would be a steal.

    admittedly most of the time  I have no idea and some of the experts have a better idea and it is still not that good.

    Garrett Nussmeier next year is intriguing. 

    Drafting three in one class and passing up the next Joel Bitonio or JOK I don’t know about that 

    ...an honest post above.   I, as I always have / do,  wanted the tallest drink of water with the strongest arm.  I liked Josh Allen, and thought we would draft Sam Darnald...whom I'd have wanted more than little Baker.  But when Baker was chosen I supported him.  It wasn't until the season before Baker's injury season that I wound up not liking him.  He wasn't / isn't a bad QB, I just felt, like the Haslems, that he wasn't quite good enough.  

    Anyhow...Tankathon has us picking Will Howard with #94.  

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #23

    @orion said:

    ...an honest post above.   I, as I always have / do,  wanted the tallest drink of water with the strongest arm.  I liked Josh Allen, and thought we would draft Sam Darnald...whom I'd have wanted more than little Baker.  But when Baker was chosen I supported him.  It wasn't until the season before Baker's injury season that I wound up not liking him.  He wasn't / isn't a bad QB, I just felt, like the Haslems, that he wasn't quite good enough.  

    Anyhow...Tankathon has us picking Will Howard with #94.  

    My ideal would be Carter at #1 and Jackson Dart at the top of the 2nd. I might even trade up in to the 1st to get Dart.  I like him a lot.

  • @orion said:

    ...an honest post above.   I, as I always have / do,  wanted the tallest drink of water with the strongest arm.  I liked Josh Allen, and thought we would draft Sam Darnald...whom I'd have wanted more than little Baker.  But when Baker was chosen I supported him.  It wasn't until the season before Baker's injury season that I wound up not liking him.  He wasn't / isn't a bad QB, I just felt, like the Haslems, that he wasn't quite good enough.  

    Anyhow...Tankathon has us picking Will Howard with #94.  

    My ideal would be Carter at #1 and Jackson Dart at the top of the 2nd. I might even trade up in to the 1st to get Dart.  I like him a lot.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @ballpeen said:

    My ideal would be Carter at #1 and Jackson Dart at the top of the 2nd. I might even trade up in to the 1st to get Dart.  I like him a lot.

    He holds the ball kinda' low and has a big wind up.  But he winds and throws quite quickly.

  • @ballpeen said:

    My ideal would be Carter at #1 and Jackson Dart at the top of the 2nd. I might even trade up in to the 1st to get Dart.  I like him a lot.

    He holds the ball kinda' low and has a big wind up.  But he winds and throws quite quickly.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @orion said:

    He holds the ball kinda' low and has a big wind up.  But he winds and throws quite quickly.

    And his games vs good competition weren't all that great. 

  • @orion said:

    He holds the ball kinda' low and has a big wind up.  But he winds and throws quite quickly.

    And his games vs good competition weren't all that great. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @dutch-oven said:

    And his games vs good competition weren't all that great. 

    Here's his college career stats and individual game log for 2024(to show how he fared vrs quality opponents)- nothing earth shattering per say.. But the TD:INT ratio isn't bad. In a QB class rumored to be weak - someone will like that in addition to the volume of starts

    Career Passing Passing Sacked Fumbles
    Season Team Type G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds PasY/G Y/A TD Int Sacks YdsL Fumb FumL
    2021 USC Reg 6 132.5 117 189 61.9 1,353 225.5 7.2 9 5 5 -33 - -
    2022 MISS Reg 12 144.5 201 321 62.6 2,613 217.8 8.1 18 8 13 -87 - -
    2023 MISS Reg 12 161.4 208 319 65.2 2,985 248.8 9.4 20 5 26 -171 - -
    2024 MISS Reg 12 177.7 249 363 68.6 3,875 322.9 10.7 25 6 25 -139 -

    -

    Game Log Passing Rushing Sacked Fumbles
    Date Opp Score Type QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A TD Int Att Yds Y/A Long TD Sacks YdsL Fumb FumL
    Nov 29 MSST Reg 122.1 14 24 58.3 143 6.0 1 0 13 77 5.9 20 0 2 -12 - -
    Nov 23 @FLA Reg 131.1 24 41 58.5 323 7.9 2 2 14 71 5.1 35 0 4 -21 - -
    Nov 9 UGA Reg 141.0 13 22 59.1 199 9.0 1 1 8 50 6.3 28 0 1 -6 - -
    Nov 2 @ARK Reg 284.1 25 31 80.6 515 16.6 6 0 10 47 4.7 31 0 1 -8 - -
    Oct 26 OU Reg 171.4 22 30 73.3 311 10.4 1 0 8 24 3.0 8 0 1 -4 - -
    Oct 12 @LSU Reg 117.0 24 42 57.1 284 6.8 1 1 15 27 1.8 17 0 6 -33 - -
    Oct 5 @SC Reg 140.5 14 27 51.9 285 10.6 0 0 8 44 5.5 14 0 1 -8 - -
    Sep 28 UK Reg 160.1 18 27 66.7 261 9.7 1 0 13 22 1.7 13 0 4 -19 - -
    Sep 21 GASO Reg 210.6 22 31 71.0 382 12.3 4 1 5 36 7.2 17 0 0 0 - -
    Sep 14 @WAKE Reg 183.1 26 34 76.5 377 11.1 2 1 6 35 5.8 13 1 1 -8 - -
    Sep 7 MTSU Reg 222.1 25 27 92.6 377 14.0 1 0 6 -8 -1.3 6 1 3 -17 - -
    Aug 31 FUR Reg 272.6 22 27 81.5 418 15.5 5 0 6 27 4.5 15 1 1 -3 - -
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #27

     I suppose, in my development of Current Market Value vs Historic Market Value, I've begun asking more questions to contrast play between players.   

     Is Jaxon Dart really head and shoulders above where Matt Corral was? 

     Has Will Howard done anything that merits a 3rd round pick? 

     Is Abdul Carter better than Micah Parsons? 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Regarding the concept of drafting multiple QBs this year, Zac Jackson who covers the Browns for The Athletic has us taking Carter with our first pick, and then Tyler Shough from Lville in the 3rd and Kurtis Rourke from IU in the 6th in his initial mock draft. I could see that approach this year.