Skip to content

ESPN's Top 25 Draft Prospects This Year

The Browns Board
63 11 1.4k
  • The more I think about it, the more I'm getting convinced that the Browns will take Sanders at #2, unless he's taken #1 or the Sanders family refuses to come to Cleveland. If he's available at #2, and they don't fight the Browns taking him, I think it will happen.

    His accuracy, anticipation and ability to play within a system IMO will make Stefanski and Berry want to pull the trigger on him. His weaknesses: Good but not great arm, size and athleticism I believe won't stop the Browns from taking him. You don't need elite physical attributes to succeed in Stefanski's offense, I believe he finds accuracy, intelligence and the ability to not turn the ball over to be more important.

    Not saying this is what I want the Browns to do, but this is what I think they will do. They need to get a young QB in and have him succeed early to show ownership that the future is bright and they've moved on from the Watson debacle. They don't need to make the playoffs next season IMO, but they need to show that they are on their way back to playoff contention.

    Signing a veteran, drafting a mid-rounder QB to develop and accumulating draft picks for 2026 (my preferred plan) isn't going to save their jobs. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @dutch-oven said:

    The more I think about it, the more I'm getting convinced that the Browns will take Sanders at #2, unless he's taken #1

    Welcome aboard.  🙂  I know you don't want us to draft him.  But I think that his floor is high enough such that a team with NO QB pretty much HAS to take him.  And that's why I don't think anyone has to worry about us drafting him.  He'll already be off the board.  I can't imagine that his Dad would think that TN would be a worse place to be than Cleveland.  -  Worry about us taking Ward instead.  🙂  

  • The more I think about it, the more I'm getting convinced that the Browns will take Sanders at #2, unless he's taken #1 or the Sanders family refuses to come to Cleveland. If he's available at #2, and they don't fight the Browns taking him, I think it will happen.

    His accuracy, anticipation and ability to play within a system IMO will make Stefanski and Berry want to pull the trigger on him. His weaknesses: Good but not great arm, size and athleticism I believe won't stop the Browns from taking him. You don't need elite physical attributes to succeed in Stefanski's offense, I believe he finds accuracy, intelligence and the ability to not turn the ball over to be more important.

    Not saying this is what I want the Browns to do, but this is what I think they will do. They need to get a young QB in and have him succeed early to show ownership that the future is bright and they've moved on from the Watson debacle. They don't need to make the playoffs next season IMO, but they need to show that they are on their way back to playoff contention.

    Signing a veteran, drafting a mid-rounder QB to develop and accumulating draft picks for 2026 (my preferred plan) isn't going to save their jobs. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #49

    @dutch-oven said:

    The more I think about it, the more I'm getting convinced that the Browns will take Sanders at #2, unless he's taken #1 or the Sanders family refuses to come to Cleveland. If he's available at #2, and they don't fight the Browns taking him, I think it will happen.

    His accuracy, anticipation and ability to play within a system IMO will make Stefanski and Berry want to pull the trigger on him. His weaknesses: Good but not great arm, size and athleticism I believe won't stop the Browns from taking him. You don't need elite physical attributes to succeed in Stefanski's offense, I believe he finds accuracy, intelligence and the ability to not turn the ball over to be more important.

    Not saying this is what I want the Browns to do, but this is what I think they will do. They need to get a young QB in and have him succeed early to show ownership that the future is bright and they've moved on from the Watson debacle. They don't need to make the playoffs next season IMO, but they need to show that they are on their way back to playoff contention.

    Signing a veteran, drafting a mid-rounder QB to develop and accumulating draft picks for 2026 (my preferred plan) isn't going to save their jobs. 

    I'm starting to think the same thing.  I heard on ESPN2 early AM show that a study was done on a bunch of QBs in this draft about who the most accurate passer is (not inclusive of stats believe it or not - but ball placement on throws made).  It was Shedeur and apparently no one else even came close fwiw.

    This is what I posted in the Position Groups of Need thread about a week ago:

    image.thumb.png.9270c0eb047244b1fdfe0d5ccc000523.png

  • @dutch-oven said:

    The more I think about it, the more I'm getting convinced that the Browns will take Sanders at #2, unless he's taken #1

    Welcome aboard.  🙂  I know you don't want us to draft him.  But I think that his floor is high enough such that a team with NO QB pretty much HAS to take him.  And that's why I don't think anyone has to worry about us drafting him.  He'll already be off the board.  I can't imagine that his Dad would think that TN would be a worse place to be than Cleveland.  -  Worry about us taking Ward instead.  🙂  

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @orion said:

    Welcome aboard.  🙂  I know you don't want us to draft him.  But I think that his floor is high enough such that a team with NO QB pretty much HAS to take him.  And that's why I don't think anyone has to worry about us drafting him.  He'll already be off the board.  I can't imagine that his Dad would think that TN would be a worse place to be than Cleveland.  -  Worry about us taking Ward instead.  🙂  

    He’s got the best shot of being a NY Giant at #1 overall which I think will happen. 
     

    1. Sanders (Giants) by Trade.

    2. Hunter Browns

    3. Carter Titans 

    Predicting the Browns QB in 2025 to be Aiden O’Connell 

  • @orion said:

    Welcome aboard.  🙂  I know you don't want us to draft him.  But I think that his floor is high enough such that a team with NO QB pretty much HAS to take him.  And that's why I don't think anyone has to worry about us drafting him.  He'll already be off the board.  I can't imagine that his Dad would think that TN would be a worse place to be than Cleveland.  -  Worry about us taking Ward instead.  🙂  

    He’s got the best shot of being a NY Giant at #1 overall which I think will happen. 
     

    1. Sanders (Giants) by Trade.

    2. Hunter Browns

    3. Carter Titans 

    Predicting the Browns QB in 2025 to be Aiden O’Connell 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @sdbacker80 said:

    He’s got the best shot of being a NY Giant at #1 overall which I think will happen. 
     

    1. Sanders (Giants) by Trade.

    2. Hunter Browns

    3. Carter Titans 

    Predicting the Browns QB in 2025 to be Aiden O’Connell 

    VERY possible - although the Aiden O'Connell thing has me thinking Tums might not be strong enough to help us digest it all.  Our secondary could really use a play maker like Hunter though.  He and Ward would make a great tandem while former Northwestern teammates Mitchell & Newsome could compete for reps as the 3rd Corner was well as Emerson.

    I'm having fun thinking about the possibilities near the top of every round with so many pressing needs. The Combines are next week already...

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    He’s got the best shot of being a NY Giant at #1 overall which I think will happen. 
     

    1. Sanders (Giants) by Trade.

    2. Hunter Browns

    3. Carter Titans 

    Predicting the Browns QB in 2025 to be Aiden O’Connell 

    VERY possible - although the Aiden O'Connell thing has me thinking Tums might not be strong enough to help us digest it all.  Our secondary could really use a play maker like Hunter though.  He and Ward would make a great tandem while former Northwestern teammates Mitchell & Newsome could compete for reps as the 3rd Corner was well as Emerson.

    I'm having fun thinking about the possibilities near the top of every round with so many pressing needs. The Combines are next week already...

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @flugel said:

    VERY possible - although the Aiden O'Connell thing has me thinking Tums might not be strong enough to help us digest it all.  Our secondary could really use a play maker like Hunter though.  He and Ward would make a great tandem while former Northwestern teammates Mitchell & Newsome could compete for reps as the 3rd Corner was well as Emerson.

    I'm having fun thinking about the possibilities near the top of every round with so many pressing needs. The Combines are next week already...

    It is seedy used car lot QB time.  

    Sam Darnold might look like a filet mignon. 
     

    I still like Carter but I think the Browns take Hunter 

  • @flugel said:

    VERY possible - although the Aiden O'Connell thing has me thinking Tums might not be strong enough to help us digest it all.  Our secondary could really use a play maker like Hunter though.  He and Ward would make a great tandem while former Northwestern teammates Mitchell & Newsome could compete for reps as the 3rd Corner was well as Emerson.

    I'm having fun thinking about the possibilities near the top of every round with so many pressing needs. The Combines are next week already...

    It is seedy used car lot QB time.  

    Sam Darnold might look like a filet mignon. 
     

    I still like Carter but I think the Browns take Hunter 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Sam Darnold might look like a filet mignon.

    hmm...you've been drinking again right?   🙂    Actually, Darnold seems like a nice enough guy.  I thought we were going to draft him.  

    In another thread someone stated, It's the Combine Already?   Heck, I've been waiting for it since October.  🙂   Imagine when they go to 18 games and 2 bye weeks.  Super Bowl coaches will be leaving the game and heading straight to Indianapolis.  

  • @flugel said:

    VERY possible - although the Aiden O'Connell thing has me thinking Tums might not be strong enough to help us digest it all.  Our secondary could really use a play maker like Hunter though.  He and Ward would make a great tandem while former Northwestern teammates Mitchell & Newsome could compete for reps as the 3rd Corner was well as Emerson.

    I'm having fun thinking about the possibilities near the top of every round with so many pressing needs. The Combines are next week already...

    It is seedy used car lot QB time.  

    Sam Darnold might look like a filet mignon. 
     

    I still like Carter but I think the Browns take Hunter 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @sdbacker80 said:

    It is seedy used car lot QB time.  

    Sam Darnold might look like a filet mignon. 
     

    I still like Carter but I think the Browns take Hunter 

    Exactly!  It's gonna be an interesting 2 months we're heading into with everything kicking off in Indy next week  Just pack light with an open mind and sense of humor.  We only need a starting QB and a backup.  What could go wrong?

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Sam Darnold might look like a filet mignon.

    hmm...you've been drinking again right?   🙂    Actually, Darnold seems like a nice enough guy.  I thought we were going to draft him.  

    In another thread someone stated, It's the Combine Already?   Heck, I've been waiting for it since October.  🙂   Imagine when they go to 18 games and 2 bye weeks.  Super Bowl coaches will be leaving the game and heading straight to Indianapolis.  

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @orion said:

    hmm...you've been drinking again right?   🙂    Actually, Darnold seems like a nice enough guy.  I thought we were going to draft him.  

    In another thread someone stated, It's the Combine Already?   Heck, I've been waiting for it since October.  🙂   Imagine when they go to 18 games and 2 bye weeks.  Super Bowl coaches will be leaving the game and heading straight to Indianapolis.  

    I had us at 10-7 this year but during preseason when they had me drinking bourbon I thought maybe this could be scouting the top 10 picks kind of year. 
     

    Joking aside if Darnold was cheap he would worth more than a test drive off the lot. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    It is seedy used car lot QB time.  

    Sam Darnold might look like a filet mignon. 
     

    I still like Carter but I think the Browns take Hunter 

    Exactly!  It's gonna be an interesting 2 months we're heading into with everything kicking off in Indy next week  Just pack light with an open mind and sense of humor.  We only need a starting QB and a backup.  What could go wrong?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @flugel said:

    Exactly!  It's gonna be an interesting 2 months we're heading into with everything kicking off in Indy next week  Just pack light with an open mind and sense of humor.  We only need a starting QB and a backup.  What could go wrong?

    Well if it works out The saying goes If you have two QBs you have none. I’d like to test that theory. 

  • @flugel said:

    Exactly!  It's gonna be an interesting 2 months we're heading into with everything kicking off in Indy next week  Just pack light with an open mind and sense of humor.  We only need a starting QB and a backup.  What could go wrong?

    Well if it works out The saying goes If you have two QBs you have none. I’d like to test that theory. 

    M Marvin the Martian wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Well if it works out The saying goes If you have two QBs you have none. I’d like to test that theory. 

    Well we currently have 3 QBs on the roster so I guess that is true

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Well if it works out The saying goes If you have two QBs you have none. I’d like to test that theory. 

    Well we currently have 3 QBs on the roster so I guess that is true

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #58

    @marvin-the-martian said:

    Well we currently have 3 QBs on the roster so I guess that is true

    ? Agreed.  After we narrow it all down to the ones that are capable of throwing accurate forward passes - we only need LT, CB, EDGE/DE, DT, LB, S, RB, K plus depth at C, LG, RT, LT, RG, SS, FS, TE, CB, WR.  Not for nothing, we could also use projected starters with better durability.  That's why any prospects coming off major injuries last year/recently, regardless of how talented they are - might not be right for this team.  

    I'm not advocating that we waste a pick on a kicker though.  Before Hopkins got hurt near the end of the 2023 season - that felt like one of the best seasons we had from a Kicker since Dawson.  Even a guy like Adam Vinatieri wasn't drafted fwiw.

  • @orion said:

    hmm...you've been drinking again right?   🙂    Actually, Darnold seems like a nice enough guy.  I thought we were going to draft him.  

    In another thread someone stated, It's the Combine Already?   Heck, I've been waiting for it since October.  🙂   Imagine when they go to 18 games and 2 bye weeks.  Super Bowl coaches will be leaving the game and heading straight to Indianapolis.  

    I had us at 10-7 this year but during preseason when they had me drinking bourbon I thought maybe this could be scouting the top 10 picks kind of year. 
     

    Joking aside if Darnold was cheap he would worth more than a test drive off the lot. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Joking aside if Darnold was cheap he would worth more than a test drive off the lot.

    I personally don't think he's that good.  But, at this point he'd be quite an improvement over last year's QB room.  It'll start to get interesting in a few weeks when FA opens up.

  • @marvin-the-martian said:

    Well we currently have 3 QBs on the roster so I guess that is true

    ? Agreed.  After we narrow it all down to the ones that are capable of throwing accurate forward passes - we only need LT, CB, EDGE/DE, DT, LB, S, RB, K plus depth at C, LG, RT, LT, RG, SS, FS, TE, CB, WR.  Not for nothing, we could also use projected starters with better durability.  That's why any prospects coming off major injuries last year/recently, regardless of how talented they are - might not be right for this team.  

    I'm not advocating that we waste a pick on a kicker though.  Before Hopkins got hurt near the end of the 2023 season - that felt like one of the best seasons we had from a Kicker since Dawson.  Even a guy like Adam Vinatieri wasn't drafted fwiw.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @flugel said:

    ? Agreed.  After we narrow it all down to the ones that are capable of throwing accurate forward passes - we only need LT, CB, EDGE/DE, DT, LB, S, RB, K plus depth at C, LG, RT, LT, RG, SS, FS, TE, CB, WR.  Not for nothing, we could also use projected starters with better durability.  That's why any prospects coming off major injuries last year/recently, regardless of how talented they are - might not be right for this team.  

    I'm not advocating that we waste a pick on a kicker though.  Before Hopkins got hurt near the end of the 2023 season - that felt like one of the best seasons we had from a Kicker since Dawson.  Even a guy like Adam Vinatieri wasn't drafted fwiw.

    I don't think a pick on a kicker is a waste, as long as he is the right kicker.  We also have several later round picks. I could see using one of those on a kicker.  If he doesn't work out, I don't see that as any worse than drafting some back-up safety who ends up covering punts his entire 3 year career.

  • @flugel said:

    ? Agreed.  After we narrow it all down to the ones that are capable of throwing accurate forward passes - we only need LT, CB, EDGE/DE, DT, LB, S, RB, K plus depth at C, LG, RT, LT, RG, SS, FS, TE, CB, WR.  Not for nothing, we could also use projected starters with better durability.  That's why any prospects coming off major injuries last year/recently, regardless of how talented they are - might not be right for this team.  

    I'm not advocating that we waste a pick on a kicker though.  Before Hopkins got hurt near the end of the 2023 season - that felt like one of the best seasons we had from a Kicker since Dawson.  Even a guy like Adam Vinatieri wasn't drafted fwiw.

    I don't think a pick on a kicker is a waste, as long as he is the right kicker.  We also have several later round picks. I could see using one of those on a kicker.  If he doesn't work out, I don't see that as any worse than drafting some back-up safety who ends up covering punts his entire 3 year career.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't think a pick on a kicker is a waste, as long as he is the right kicker.  We also have several later round picks. I could see using one of those on a kicker.  If he doesn't work out, I don't see that as any worse than drafting some back-up safety who ends up covering punts his entire 3 year career.

    True; and I'm sure you're not the only one feeling like that.  My feeling is the Browns have drafted 3 kickers in recent years that didn't stick for very long at all - beginning with Zane Gonzalez & Austin Seibert.  The last one they drafted was Cade York.  I think Gonzalez was successful enough in college to earn the Lou Groza Award kicking in that dry Arizona climate that is nothing like Cleveland. The trend leads me to think this route isn't a good investment. I think the Browns should consider bringing in some rookie free agent kickers to compete with a veteran getting recycled.  The year we got Hopkins he was having a great year up until he injured his leg on the kickoff team in the last third of the regular season.  

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #62

    Just to expound on drafting a kicker...I don't think it is waste, but on the other hand you can usually find a FA guy who has kicked around from team to team before he finds his footing....no double pun intended. So I am not advocating we draft one.

    If a guy can kick in college, he can kick in the pro's.  In theory anyway.  Actually, kicking in college is harder due to the wider hash marks.

    I guess it is a pressure thing, but it shouldn't be.  Kicking is kicking.  If a guy kicked at any major program he was kicking in front of large crowds and had to make a few last second kicks somewhere along the line.  I suppose the pressure of losing a paycheck is greater than losing a scholarship, but it still boils down to see the ball, kick the ball.

    Fans may not see a bad hold, but the special teams coach will be able to see that a hold is on it's side or 30 degrees towards the center.  At least inside the team the kicker isn't going to be responsible for what might look like a horrible kick.

    Tom, you were a good HS player.  Somewhere along the line you tee'd up a ball and kicked it just to see how you could do.  Did you tee it up with the nose of the ball pointing in the direction you were kicking?    You know what i am saying.

  • Just to expound on drafting a kicker...I don't think it is waste, but on the other hand you can usually find a FA guy who has kicked around from team to team before he finds his footing....no double pun intended. So I am not advocating we draft one.

    If a guy can kick in college, he can kick in the pro's.  In theory anyway.  Actually, kicking in college is harder due to the wider hash marks.

    I guess it is a pressure thing, but it shouldn't be.  Kicking is kicking.  If a guy kicked at any major program he was kicking in front of large crowds and had to make a few last second kicks somewhere along the line.  I suppose the pressure of losing a paycheck is greater than losing a scholarship, but it still boils down to see the ball, kick the ball.

    Fans may not see a bad hold, but the special teams coach will be able to see that a hold is on it's side or 30 degrees towards the center.  At least inside the team the kicker isn't going to be responsible for what might look like a horrible kick.

    Tom, you were a good HS player.  Somewhere along the line you tee'd up a ball and kicked it just to see how you could do.  Did you tee it up with the nose of the ball pointing in the direction you were kicking?    You know what i am saying.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #63

    @ballpeen said:

    Just to expound on drafting a kicker...I don't think it is waste, but on the other hand you can usually find a FA guy who has kicked around from team to team before he finds his footing....no double pun intended. So I am not advocating we draft one.

    If a guy can kick in college, he can kick in the pro's.  In theory anyway.  Actually, kicking in college is harder due to the wider hash marks.

    I guess it is a pressure thing, but it shouldn't be.  Kicking is kicking.  If a guy kicked at any major program he was kicking in front of large crowds and had to make a few last second kicks somewhere along the line.  I suppose the pressure of losing a paycheck is greater than losing a scholarship, but it still boils down to see the ball, kick the ball.

    Fans may not see a bad hold, but the special teams coach will be able to see that a hold is on it's side or 30 degrees towards the center.  At least inside the team the kicker isn't going to be responsible for what might look like a horrible kick.

    Tom, you were a good HS player.  Somewhere along the line you tee'd up a ball and kicked it just to see how you could do.  Did you tee it up with the nose of the ball pointing in the direction you were kicking?    You know what i am saying.

    Thanks!  On 4th downs I used to move inside from G to LS all the way until my senior year.  We had 2 really good kickers.  1 guy got brought up to varsity in 10th grade and the other beat him out as junior.  I did the Long Snapping all throughout youth football too - but it wasn't like I was anything special at it.  I did try 1 place kick at a summer football camp with the tip pointing straight up and it was a train-wreck.  That reminded me why I needed to stay in my lane. The reason football was a fun experience overall was because passion and hard work (year-round) got rewarded.