Browns sign a 2 year deal for veteran OT Cornelius Lucas
-
...and this guy went undrafted. But like you say, he's played a lot and has been able to stay in the league for 10 yrs. And as Ballpeen said, He's probably better than Hudson. - It's a step in the right direction.
That's true! I think the Redskins already signed his replacement - Pro Bowl LT Laremy Tunsil.
That's true! I think the Redskins already signed his replacement - Pro Bowl LT Laremy Tunsil.
Houston got a 3rd and a 7th in 2025 and a 2nd and a 4th in 2026.
Washington got a 4th in 2025 along with Tunsil.
Tunsil has made 5 Pro Bowls and is in the final year of a 3 year/$75M contract. No doubt, the Commanders will extend him.
-
I guess it helps to be a big dude if your folks are going to saddle you with the name “Cornelius.” Welcome aboard Cornelius.
-
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate like they did with Dalvin Tomlinson. It would free up almost $15M in cap space.
-
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate like they did with Dalvin Tomlinson. It would free up almost $15M in cap space.
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate like they did with Dalvin Tomlinson. It would free up almost $15M in cap space.
I think it’s a safe bet something will transpire with Jack, either a restructure or a cut. Somewhere the conversation will be had that starts off, “Jack, we like you, but…”
-
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate like they did with Dalvin Tomlinson. It would free up almost $15M in cap space.
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate
Well, at the moment, we need offensive tackles. We just signed a guy that the Commanders purposely moved on from. I view him as a backup...who can man the position while a starter is dinged. We've gotta protect our star QB Picket.
-
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate like they did with Dalvin Tomlinson. It would free up almost $15M in cap space.
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate like they did with Dalvin Tomlinson. It would free up almost $15M in cap space.
It's always a possibility but with a lot of questions at the T position, I don't see it as likely.
-
That's true! I think the Redskins already signed his replacement - Pro Bowl LT Laremy Tunsil.
Houston got a 3rd and a 7th in 2025 and a 2nd and a 4th in 2026.
Washington got a 4th in 2025 along with Tunsil.
Tunsil has made 5 Pro Bowls and is in the final year of a 3 year/$75M contract. No doubt, the Commanders will extend him.
Houston got a 3rd and a 7th in 2025 and a 2nd and a 4th in 2026.
Washington got a 4th in 2025 along with Tunsil.
Tunsil has made 5 Pro Bowls and is in the final year of a 3 year/$75M contract. No doubt, the Commanders will extend him.
When you have a FO that knows what they're doing by getting the QB as well as the right offensive coaches in place to have an offensive design and implementation plan compatible with their QB's skillset beginning in in practice #1 of season #1 - making it to a Conference Championship Game was possible. Above all, they are planning to protect their investment at QB with an elite LT.
Meanwhile, in Cleveland - the trial and error continues... I can just see our FO's train of thought - "Tunsil? Do LTs score TDs? What do the Commanders know that we don't?" Yeah... Don't mess with the practice squad prototypes we're signing though. So much for the rose colored glasses I was trying to put on for our new offensive tackle. We just learned his position was the biggest upgrade the Commanders felt they needed...
-
Houston got a 3rd and a 7th in 2025 and a 2nd and a 4th in 2026.
Washington got a 4th in 2025 along with Tunsil.
Tunsil has made 5 Pro Bowls and is in the final year of a 3 year/$75M contract. No doubt, the Commanders will extend him.
When you have a FO that knows what they're doing by getting the QB as well as the right offensive coaches in place to have an offensive design and implementation plan compatible with their QB's skillset beginning in in practice #1 of season #1 - making it to a Conference Championship Game was possible. Above all, they are planning to protect their investment at QB with an elite LT.
Meanwhile, in Cleveland - the trial and error continues... I can just see our FO's train of thought - "Tunsil? Do LTs score TDs? What do the Commanders know that we don't?" Yeah... Don't mess with the practice squad prototypes we're signing though. So much for the rose colored glasses I was trying to put on for our new offensive tackle. We just learned his position was the biggest upgrade the Commanders felt they needed...
When you have a FO that knows what they're doing by getting the QB as well as the right offensive coaches in place to have an offensive design and implementation plan compatible with their QB's skillset beginning in in practice #1 of season #1 - making it to a Conference Championship Game was possible. Above all, they are planning to protect their investment at QB with an elite LT.
Meanwhile, in Cleveland - the trial and error continues... I can just see our FO's train of thought - "Tunsil? Do LTs score TDs? What do the Commanders know that we don't?" Yeah... Don't mess with the practice squad prototypes we're signing though. So much for the rose colored glasses I was trying to put on for our new offensive tackle. We just learned his position was the biggest upgrade the Commanders felt they needed...
I believe the Texans got a franchise LT for a really good deal, but what do I know?
To further your point, it seems there are plenty of picks in the next couple of drafts for the Browns to have done something similar to get a franchise LT. But again, what do I know?
-
-
Houston got a 3rd and a 7th in 2025 and a 2nd and a 4th in 2026.
Washington got a 4th in 2025 along with Tunsil.
Tunsil has made 5 Pro Bowls and is in the final year of a 3 year/$75M contract. No doubt, the Commanders will extend him.
When you have a FO that knows what they're doing by getting the QB as well as the right offensive coaches in place to have an offensive design and implementation plan compatible with their QB's skillset beginning in in practice #1 of season #1 - making it to a Conference Championship Game was possible. Above all, they are planning to protect their investment at QB with an elite LT.
Meanwhile, in Cleveland - the trial and error continues... I can just see our FO's train of thought - "Tunsil? Do LTs score TDs? What do the Commanders know that we don't?" Yeah... Don't mess with the practice squad prototypes we're signing though. So much for the rose colored glasses I was trying to put on for our new offensive tackle. We just learned his position was the biggest upgrade the Commanders felt they needed...
Meanwhile, in Cleveland - the trial and error continues... I can just see our FO's train of thought - "Tunsil? Do LTs score TDs? What do the Commanders know that we don't?" Yeah... Don't mess with the practice squad prototypes we're signing though. So much for the rose colored glasses I was trying to put on for our new offensive tackle. We just learned his position was the biggest upgrade the Commanders felt they needed...
We don't need any of these fatties-Ghoulie?
-
Meanwhile, in Cleveland - the trial and error continues... I can just see our FO's train of thought - "Tunsil? Do LTs score TDs? What do the Commanders know that we don't?" Yeah... Don't mess with the practice squad prototypes we're signing though. So much for the rose colored glasses I was trying to put on for our new offensive tackle. We just learned his position was the biggest upgrade the Commanders felt they needed...
We don't need any of these fatties-Ghoulie?
We don't need any of these fatties-Ghoulie?
We got a well paid Zumba Instructor that will get them in REAL GOOD shape... ?
-
At least on paper, Lucas is an upgrade over both of our tackles from last year.
PFF grades him pretty high:
Look at Jedrick Wills grade, basically a third stringer:
Even Conklin was mediocre for his fat salary:
Conklin & Wills couldn't even start the season because they were still rehabbing from season ending injuries the season before. While I wouldn't hold out much hope for Wills playing any better perhaps Conklin might be better this year. Hopefully the new guy is as good as PFF thinks.
-
At least on paper, Lucas is an upgrade over both of our tackles from last year.
PFF grades him pretty high:
Look at Jedrick Wills grade, basically a third stringer:
Even Conklin was mediocre for his fat salary:
Conklin & Wills couldn't even start the season because they were still rehabbing from season ending injuries the season before. While I wouldn't hold out much hope for Wills playing any better perhaps Conklin might be better this year. Hopefully the new guy is as good as PFF thinks.
Conklin & Wills couldn't even start the season because they were still rehabbing from season ending injuries the season before. While I wouldn't hold out much hope for Wills playing any better perhaps Conklin might be better this year. Hopefully the new guy is as good as PFF thinks.
I don't think it's a matter of what PFF thinks. It's what the stats tell them. That said, past grades don't mean future grades will show the same thing.
-
Conklin & Wills couldn't even start the season because they were still rehabbing from season ending injuries the season before. While I wouldn't hold out much hope for Wills playing any better perhaps Conklin might be better this year. Hopefully the new guy is as good as PFF thinks.
I don't think it's a matter of what PFF thinks. It's what the stats tell them. That said, past grades don't mean future grades will show the same thing.
I don't think it's a matter of what PFF thinks. It's what the stats tell them. That said, past grades don't mean future grades will show the same thing.
Wills is trash. Conklin is washed up. The stats DO matter.
Conklin was an All-Pro in 2020. He blew out his patellar tendon in 2021, tore his ACL in 2023. He's not the same guy. People think just because he was an All-Pro 5 years ago that he's still a stud. He's not. He's now an average tackle at best. Cut him, save $15M in cap space if there is something comparable. But don't tell me Conklin is going to be an All-Pro ever again, just like Chubb sadly, his best days are in the past and the injuries & age caught up to him.
-
Having a 33 year old OT can be rough.
The bright spot that helps pass pro, and (IMHO) can artificially inflate grades would be something like the Washington offense. They use a lot of high percentage and quick hitting throws, especially as an extension of the running game.
How 33 year knees hold up in an outside zone may be a different story entirely. But it helps to alleviate the major concern, this season anyway, that we have at OT.
-
They restructured Conklin's contract. Run him into the ground for whatever football is left in him and then he's a free agent next year.
Revised Contract Framework
The new deal secures a $10 million salary for the coming season, with $9 million guaranteed and the opportunity to earn an additional $2 million in incentives. This restructuring eliminates a contractual year, transitioning Conklin’s free-agent status from 2027 to 2026. The adjustment effectively reduces the overall contract value from an earlier projection of approximately $17.7 million, contributing to the team’s broader financial rebalancing efforts. -
I don't think it's a matter of what PFF thinks. It's what the stats tell them. That said, past grades don't mean future grades will show the same thing.
Wills is trash. Conklin is washed up. The stats DO matter.
Conklin was an All-Pro in 2020. He blew out his patellar tendon in 2021, tore his ACL in 2023. He's not the same guy. People think just because he was an All-Pro 5 years ago that he's still a stud. He's not. He's now an average tackle at best. Cut him, save $15M in cap space if there is something comparable. But don't tell me Conklin is going to be an All-Pro ever again, just like Chubb sadly, his best days are in the past and the injuries & age caught up to him.
Wills is trash. Conklin is washed up. The stats DO matter.
Conklin was an All-Pro in 2020. He blew out his patellar tendon in 2021, tore his ACL in 2023. He's not the same guy. People think just because he was an All-Pro 5 years ago that he's still a stud. He's not. He's now an average tackle at best. Cut him, save $15M in cap space if there is something comparable. But don't tell me Conklin is going to be an All-Pro ever again, just like Chubb sadly, his best days are in the past and the injuries & age caught up to him.
Like i said, past grades don't mean future grades will be similar.
You are talking about different things than Orion was talking about. My comment was about the new guy.
Wills is a lazy player who could be good, but he doesn't have the desire to work at being good. Conklin is a good player who has worked, but injuries have continued to plague him for several seasons. At some point as a player gets older you do have to factor that into the equation. Things can shift from being a fluke, random injury that can happen to anybody, any time, to something more of a chronic nature.
I know. In the past if I got injured it was along the lines of stepping off a curb wrong and rolling an ankle. That is a fluke thing. Can happen to anybody. Now, after more than 70 years on this earth, I can go to bed feeling fine and wake up injured. That is a chronic thing.
-
Wills is trash. Conklin is washed up. The stats DO matter.
Conklin was an All-Pro in 2020. He blew out his patellar tendon in 2021, tore his ACL in 2023. He's not the same guy. People think just because he was an All-Pro 5 years ago that he's still a stud. He's not. He's now an average tackle at best. Cut him, save $15M in cap space if there is something comparable. But don't tell me Conklin is going to be an All-Pro ever again, just like Chubb sadly, his best days are in the past and the injuries & age caught up to him.
Like i said, past grades don't mean future grades will be similar.
You are talking about different things than Orion was talking about. My comment was about the new guy.
Wills is a lazy player who could be good, but he doesn't have the desire to work at being good. Conklin is a good player who has worked, but injuries have continued to plague him for several seasons. At some point as a player gets older you do have to factor that into the equation. Things can shift from being a fluke, random injury that can happen to anybody, any time, to something more of a chronic nature.
I know. In the past if I got injured it was along the lines of stepping off a curb wrong and rolling an ankle. That is a fluke thing. Can happen to anybody. Now, after more than 70 years on this earth, I can go to bed feeling fine and wake up injured. That is a chronic thing.
I know. In the past if I got injured it was along the lines of stepping off a curb wrong and rolling an ankle. That is a fluke thing. Can happen to anybody. Now, after more than 70 years on this earth, I can go to bed feeling fine and wake up injured. That is a chronic thing.
Amen to that. Just last week (I'll be 78 on the 21st) I turned wrong in my sleep and woke up immediately with a "twinge" in my left knee. I walked it out with the dog before attempting racquetball later in the day. And yet I still don't understand why my wife won't give me a high paying no trade in extension contract.????
-
I don't think it's a matter of what PFF thinks. It's what the stats tell them. That said, past grades don't mean future grades will show the same thing.
Wills is trash. Conklin is washed up. The stats DO matter.
Conklin was an All-Pro in 2020. He blew out his patellar tendon in 2021, tore his ACL in 2023. He's not the same guy. People think just because he was an All-Pro 5 years ago that he's still a stud. He's not. He's now an average tackle at best. Cut him, save $15M in cap space if there is something comparable. But don't tell me Conklin is going to be an All-Pro ever again, just like Chubb sadly, his best days are in the past and the injuries & age caught up to him.
Wills is trash. Conklin is washed up. The stats DO matter.
Conklin was an All-Pro in 2020. He blew out his patellar tendon in 2021, tore his ACL in 2023. He's not the same guy. People think just because he was an All-Pro 5 years ago that he's still a stud. He's not. He's now an average tackle at best. Cut him, save $15M in cap space if there is something comparable. But don't tell me Conklin is going to be an All-Pro ever again, just like Chubb sadly, his best days are in the past and the injuries & age caught up to him.
Love Conklins passion and zeal for the game.. But as you also mention Chubb... is declining... It happens to the best...I would love to see Chubb grind it out one more year...But I'm sadly facing like everyone else the reality it may be over for the Chubb era in CLE... He will for me always symbolize what Football in Cleveland is... Tradition... LeRoy Kelly.. Bobby Mitchell.. Ernie Davis.. Mack and Byner.. Greg and Mike Pruitt..... Hoard and Metcalf.... That is some damn fine talent to witness in a lifetime thus far... And I didnt mention Jim Brown although him Mitchell and Davis were just before my time.... Cleveland has a great tradition of running Backs who have become legendary and a huge part of the Cleveland Lore....
-
Wills is trash. Conklin is washed up. The stats DO matter.
Conklin was an All-Pro in 2020. He blew out his patellar tendon in 2021, tore his ACL in 2023. He's not the same guy. People think just because he was an All-Pro 5 years ago that he's still a stud. He's not. He's now an average tackle at best. Cut him, save $15M in cap space if there is something comparable. But don't tell me Conklin is going to be an All-Pro ever again, just like Chubb sadly, his best days are in the past and the injuries & age caught up to him.
Love Conklins passion and zeal for the game.. But as you also mention Chubb... is declining... It happens to the best...I would love to see Chubb grind it out one more year...But I'm sadly facing like everyone else the reality it may be over for the Chubb era in CLE... He will for me always symbolize what Football in Cleveland is... Tradition... LeRoy Kelly.. Bobby Mitchell.. Ernie Davis.. Mack and Byner.. Greg and Mike Pruitt..... Hoard and Metcalf.... That is some damn fine talent to witness in a lifetime thus far... And I didnt mention Jim Brown although him Mitchell and Davis were just before my time.... Cleveland has a great tradition of running Backs who have become legendary and a huge part of the Cleveland Lore....
Love Conklins passion and zeal for the game.. But as you also mention Chubb... is declining... It happens to the best...I would love to see Chubb grind it out one more year...But I'm sadly facing like everyone else the reality it may be over for the Chubb era in CLE... He will for me always symbolize what Football in Cleveland is... Tradition... LeRoy Kelly.. Bobby Mitchell.. Ernie Davis.. Mack and Byner.. Greg and Mike Pruitt..... Hoard and Metcalf.... That is some damn fine talent to witness in a lifetime thus far... And I didnt mention Jim Brown although him Mitchell and Davis were just before my time.... Cleveland has a great tradition of running Backs who have become legendary and a huge part of the Cleveland Lore....
All teams have their own legendary players. That said I am glad that Nick is back in the fold. I always felt he needed at least 1 more season to see if he still has it. I still suspect the chances are good that age and injury have caught up, but I didn't want to find out he still had it while playing for some other team.
Work him in tandem with some new young blood back we draft and see what happens. I suspect if not, his contract is such that it won't be hard to see him go in 26.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

