Skip to content

The 2026 NFL DRAFT QB derby watch!

The Browns Board
311 22 7.4k 2
  • See tia,told you so. LOL!?

    @texasag1969 said:

    See tia,told you so. LOL!?

    Just a guess Aggies - but I'm thinking someone is a very proud feller about what his team accomplished at Notre Dame yesterday.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    See tia,told you so. LOL!?

    Just a guess Aggies - but I'm thinking someone is a very proud feller about what his team accomplished at Notre Dame yesterday.  

    @flugel said:

    Just a guess Aggies - but I'm thinking someone is a very proud feller about what his team accomplished at Notre Dame yesterday.  

    Just as stunned as every little green leprechaun in the stands. ??

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Ryan Day appears to not just have a clear advantage at WR.  He has an overwhelming advantage at developing and putting out elite QB play.  That is a 1a proposition in college football you have and advantage here you are competing each year for a national title.  Franklin is not even in his shadow here. 

    The Franklin critics point to his game management in big games and his O Coordinator gameplans.  I look squarely at the QB play and it is year after year 

    How about this for timing?  To your points I bolded above,  in a 52-6 win over Villanova - Franklin's QB (Allar) barely completes over 50% of his passes with a 16 of 29 performance. 

    @flugel said:

    How about this for timing?  To your points I bolded above,  in a 52-6 win over Villanova - Franklin's QB (Allar) barely completes over 50% of his passes with a 16 of 29 performance. 

     
    But Against Nova.  

  • @flugel said:

    How about this for timing?  To your points I bolded above,  in a 52-6 win over Villanova - Franklin's QB (Allar) barely completes over 50% of his passes with a 16 of 29 performance. 

     
    But Against Nova.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

     
    But Against Nova.  

    Eggs-actly!   

  • The only QB watch for me at this time is to see what Garbriel looks like when we finally move on from Joe.  I like Joe but this O needs a qb who can move some.  When Joe moves it looks like he is plodding his way through a knee deep pool of peanut butter.

  • I love Joe but this check down charlie shit aint workin none...

  • I love Joe but this check down charlie shit aint workin none...

    @nickers said:

    I love Joe but this check down charlie shit aint workin none...

    Seeing what we saw - it's a waste of time putting him back out there.  His processor today doesn't look like it's ready to be re-acclimated to the speed of the game again.  If it was - would Indy have given up on him in the first place?  The game yesterday reminded me of the playoff game against Houston.  

  • Adding another name after watching Indiana Illinois.  Fernando Mendoza IU.  Looker alot like a young Joe Flacco.

    Size and arm strength were apparent Saturday 

  • Adding another name after watching Indiana Illinois.  Fernando Mendoza IU.  Looker alot like a young Joe Flacco.

    Size and arm strength were apparent Saturday 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Adding another name after watching Indiana Illinois.  Fernando Mendoza IU.  Looker alot like a young Joe Flacco.

    Size and arm strength were apparent Saturday 

    Let’s take the IU WR Elijah Sarratt while we’re at it.

  • I'm not sure there really is a better QB than either rookie we now have. OL and WR 1.

  • I'm not sure there really is a better QB than either rookie we now have. OL and WR 1.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'm not sure there really is a better QB than either rookie we now have. OL and WR 1.

    You aren't sure there is a QB in college now that is better than either rookie who haven't played one down in the regular season of an NFL game? 

    One rookie that I would guess the overall feeling is the Browns drafted a round or two early, and another rookie who seemingly is even behind THAT guy in the eyes of the coaching staff. 

    The Browns will have a top 10 pick. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm not sure there really is a better QB than either rookie we now have. OL and WR 1.

    You aren't sure there is a QB in college now that is better than either rookie who haven't played one down in the regular season of an NFL game? 

    One rookie that I would guess the overall feeling is the Browns drafted a round or two early, and another rookie who seemingly is even behind THAT guy in the eyes of the coaching staff. 

    The Browns will have a top 10 pick. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    You aren't sure there is a QB in college now that is better than either rookie who haven't played one down in the regular season of an NFL game? 

    One rookie that I would guess the overall feeling is the Browns drafted a round or two early, and another rookie who seemingly is even behind THAT guy in the eyes of the coaching staff. 

    The Browns will have a top 10 pick. 

    But this upcoming class of QBs does not appear any better to me than this years. That's really my point. Name one who is a high 1st rounder.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    You aren't sure there is a QB in college now that is better than either rookie who haven't played one down in the regular season of an NFL game? 

    One rookie that I would guess the overall feeling is the Browns drafted a round or two early, and another rookie who seemingly is even behind THAT guy in the eyes of the coaching staff. 

    The Browns will have a top 10 pick. 

    But this upcoming class of QBs does not appear any better to me than this years. That's really my point. Name one who is a high 1st rounder.

    @texasag1969 said:

    But this upcoming class of QBs does not appear any better to me than this years. That's really my point. Name one who is a high 1st rounder.

    I feel fairly confident that of a list of six to eight guys, one of them would be worthy of a top 10 pick. 

    But I would feel better, as you would, if there was some slam-dunk Andrew Luck guy in this draft. That would make me feel all warm and/or fuzzy in the cockles of my heart. Perhaps even all the way down into the sub-cockle area. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    You aren't sure there is a QB in college now that is better than either rookie who haven't played one down in the regular season of an NFL game? 

    One rookie that I would guess the overall feeling is the Browns drafted a round or two early, and another rookie who seemingly is even behind THAT guy in the eyes of the coaching staff. 

    The Browns will have a top 10 pick. 

    But this upcoming class of QBs does not appear any better to me than this years. That's really my point. Name one who is a high 1st rounder.

    @texasag1969 said:

    But this upcoming class of QBs does not appear any better to me than this years. That's really my point. Name one who is a high 1st rounder.

    I’d say 26 is better.  I agree we need a WR1 and an OT too. 

    Ward would up there in 2026 although he’s struggled this year.  

    Nussmeier and Sellers will be in mix. 
    Allar will convince some teams with his arm talent and some wise guys will believe he was held back at Penn State (can’t develope anything)

    Klubnik, Beck and Mateer are Dart level guys 

    Mendoza, Levitt are sleepers 

    Taylen Green vs Notre Dame this weekend is worth a watch he’s an athlete with some tools although raw 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    But this upcoming class of QBs does not appear any better to me than this years. That's really my point. Name one who is a high 1st rounder.

    I’d say 26 is better.  I agree we need a WR1 and an OT too. 

    Ward would up there in 2026 although he’s struggled this year.  

    Nussmeier and Sellers will be in mix. 
    Allar will convince some teams with his arm talent and some wise guys will believe he was held back at Penn State (can’t develope anything)

    Klubnik, Beck and Mateer are Dart level guys 

    Mendoza, Levitt are sleepers 

    Taylen Green vs Notre Dame this weekend is worth a watch he’s an athlete with some tools although raw 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’d say 26 is better.  I agree we need a WR1 and an OT too. 

    Ward would up there in 2026 although he’s struggled this year.  

    Nussmeier and Sellers will be in mix. 
    Allar will convince some teams with his arm talent and some wise guys will believe he was held back at Penn State (can’t develope anything)

    Klubnik, Beck and Mateer are Dart level guys 

    Mendoza, Levitt are sleepers 

    Taylen Green vs Notre Dame this weekend is worth a watch he’s an athlete with some tools although raw 

    I wish I would’ve actually watched the Indiana vs Illinois game, but I tuned out because it was a laugher. I’m curious about Mendoza. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I’d say 26 is better.  I agree we need a WR1 and an OT too. 

    Ward would up there in 2026 although he’s struggled this year.  

    Nussmeier and Sellers will be in mix. 
    Allar will convince some teams with his arm talent and some wise guys will believe he was held back at Penn State (can’t develope anything)

    Klubnik, Beck and Mateer are Dart level guys 

    Mendoza, Levitt are sleepers 

    Taylen Green vs Notre Dame this weekend is worth a watch he’s an athlete with some tools although raw 

    I wish I would’ve actually watched the Indiana vs Illinois game, but I tuned out because it was a laugher. I’m curious about Mendoza. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I wish I would’ve actually watched the Indiana vs Illinois game, but I tuned out because it was a laugher. I’m curious about Mendoza. 

    He will get some Flacco comps. (Size, stands tall in the pocket and lumbers a bit - not Joe speed now)
     

     He has a quick release and was very accurate Saturday but Illinois was awful.  Lots of bubble screens but had some nice zip and ball placement on slant routes.  He didnt make too many tough throws lots of YAC. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I wish I would’ve actually watched the Indiana vs Illinois game, but I tuned out because it was a laugher. I’m curious about Mendoza. 

    He will get some Flacco comps. (Size, stands tall in the pocket and lumbers a bit - not Joe speed now)
     

     He has a quick release and was very accurate Saturday but Illinois was awful.  Lots of bubble screens but had some nice zip and ball placement on slant routes.  He didnt make too many tough throws lots of YAC. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    He will get some Flacco comps. (Size, stands tall in the pocket and lumbers a bit - not Joe speed now)
     

     He has a quick release and was very accurate Saturday but Illinois was awful.  Lots of bubble screens but had some nice zip and ball placement on slant routes.  He didnt make too many tough throws lots of YAC. 

    Hard to believe Illinois was favored in that game this time last week.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm not sure there really is a better QB than either rookie we now have. OL and WR 1.

    You aren't sure there is a QB in college now that is better than either rookie who haven't played one down in the regular season of an NFL game? 

    One rookie that I would guess the overall feeling is the Browns drafted a round or two early, and another rookie who seemingly is even behind THAT guy in the eyes of the coaching staff. 

    The Browns will have a top 10 pick. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    You aren't sure there is a QB in college now that is better than either rookie who haven't played one down in the regular season of an NFL game? 

    One rookie that I would guess the overall feeling is the Browns drafted a round or two early, and another rookie who seemingly is even behind THAT guy in the eyes of the coaching staff. 

    The Browns will have a top 10 pick. 

    Didn't they just have the #2 overall pick?  The problem is the supply of football messiahs at QB didn't meet the demand for one as early as #2 overall.  So, yeah they traded back to #5 overall and got a sure thing at  DT + an extra 1st round pick next year.

    WHO is assuring you that has changed this year?  A guy at LSU in a program that always has WRs like Jarvis Landry, Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Brian Thomas Jr, Malik Nabors, etc not to mention a LT (Will Campbell) good enough to be drafted at #4 overall.  What does Cleveland offer Nussmeier that would be remotely close to that?  1 more episode of oft-injured projected starting tackles Dawand Jones & Jack Conklin + a Jerry Jeudy on the perimeter as the #1 WR here hoping his inability to separate doesn't come back to haunt him like it did in Denver.  This has culture shock written all over it for a guy spoiled with everything at LSU.  Meanwhile Bitonio continues to think about retirement every bit as much as his next opponent. 

    And then there's McShay's early favorite - a 1-3 Cade Klubnik (who's only about 1 inch taller Gabriel) that can't even carry a program like Clemson right now.  All of sudden, guess who can't coach?  Yabo Dabo Dooo!

    Some guys put all their marbles into the 2026 draft for their QB savior here.  Gotta tell ya - these guys look more like the QBs the Browns just drafted.  Some can be great for an organization & ownership that is patient enough to develop one.  In particular, LaNorris Sellers (SC) & Sam Leavitt (ASU).  Then there's Drew Allar where any time you see his name the 2 words that often seem to follow are "Yeah But"  - and why?  For the guys in here endlessly searching for the next from Ohio - He's not Bernie Kosar yet but he's better than previous Calfox fave Charlie Frye once upon a time.  I think the worry is he's gonna end up like Brady Quinn or Mitch Trubisky.  Tough to say because I stink at pegging QBs and 1 more year looking at a draft without any QB prospects full of miracles the job in Cleveland will demand.  

    Brian Sipe was an accident turned beneficiary of the disaster that came from trading HOF WR Paul Warfield to Miami for the 3rd overall pick to draft Mike Phipps.  Sipe was a 13th round pick because he lacked the arm strength most teams were looking for; but he was good enough to keep around on the bench learning for a long time before he had to step into his fate.  Phipps was a guy that got overrated by the Browns for enormous perceived need here.  Today, our next Sipe could be Dillon Gabriel who's only about 1" shorter with a much stronger arm.  If we don't get a Tackle or 2 that can provide reliability on the edge - it makes life and learning curves impossible for the young QB in training as well as a fair evaluation process here.  We also need a WR.  

    If it wasn't for 1 Supplemental Draft during my lifetime as a fan (85 - Kosar) - who has been the 1st round Keeper at QB here?  There is no Mike Evans here that made a star out of Johnny Manziel at A&M and had Tom Brady wanting in on 100% of the Evans & Godwin tandem that would also entice Gronk to unretire.  They also drafted OT Tristan Wirfs who allegedly would never be able to play LT.  Guess how many Pro Bowls he's made there since he moved there from RT?  Someone researched work ethic in the same draft nobody did that with Wills. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    He will get some Flacco comps. (Size, stands tall in the pocket and lumbers a bit - not Joe speed now)
     

     He has a quick release and was very accurate Saturday but Illinois was awful.  Lots of bubble screens but had some nice zip and ball placement on slant routes.  He didnt make too many tough throws lots of YAC. 

    Hard to believe Illinois was favored in that game this time last week.

    @flugel said:

    Hard to believe Illinois was favored in that game this time last week.

    I thought Indiana was a 3 or 4 point favorite and it ballooned up to just under a TD.  Indiana is better at QB this year I don’t know about the rest of the team, but being pretty good there means you have a pretty good shot in any game 

  • guys we’ve relayed on heavily the past 3/4 years 
     

    Bitonio 2nd round

    Teller 5th round

    Pocic 2nd round

    Wills 1st Round Top 10

    Dawand Jones 4th round

    Jack Conklin 1st Top 10

    James Hudson 4th round 


    Not putting this out here to say you cant rely on the 4th rounders or guys in top 10…but just saying they come in all rounds. 


    If we are in the top 10 the pick has to be Elite QB/Elite Pass rusher/Elite Blindside Protector/Elite Weapon.  Arguably that order too. I’d mention corner too you need to find a unicorn though with the ticky tack rules favoring WRs and a guy like Caleb Down (S) may test this theory. 
     

    Going back to 2020 this regime took a tackle at 10 because of need. Remember Baker leaving clean pockets and getting sacked a lot in 2019?  We took Wills who was the second tier of the tackles at 10.