Skip to content

The 2026 NFL DRAFT QB derby watch!

The Browns Board
311 22 7.4k 2
  • @flugel said:

    WHO is assuring you that has changed this? 

    It’s September. I’ll let the season play out, then see how the 2026 QB class shakes out vs where the Browns draft. If there’s a QB worth a high pick, I’ll advocate for him/them. If there isn’t, I won’t - unlike the small group on here that wanted the Browns to take Shadeur Sanders #2 overall because “we have to because he’s the second best QB and we need a QB” last offseason.

    What I’m not going to do is join in on the pipe dream that the Browns franchise QB is one of these rookies so I can dream that we now have two first rounders next draft that we don’t have to use on a QB. The only reason we should not use one (or both) first rounders on a QB next draft is because there isn’t one worth taking. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It’s September. I’ll let the season play out, then see how the 2026 QB class shakes out vs where the Browns draft. If there’s a QB worth a high pick, I’ll advocate for him/them. If there isn’t, I won’t - unlike the small group on here that wanted the Browns to take Shadeur Sanders #2 overall because “we have to because he’s the second best QB and we need a QB” last offseason.

    What I’m not going to do is join in on the pipe dream that the Browns franchise QB is one of these rookies so I can dream that we now have two first rounders next draft that we don’t have to use on a QB. The only reason we should not use one (or both) first rounders on a QB next draft is because there isn’t one worth taking. 

    Nobody here drafted them - but there's no way to evaluate them without seeing them play.  Otherwise, why waste the 2 draft picks when you're coming off a 3-14 record with all the needs this team had going into the draft.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It’s September. I’ll let the season play out, then see how the 2026 QB class shakes out vs where the Browns draft. If there’s a QB worth a high pick, I’ll advocate for him/them. If there isn’t, I won’t - unlike the small group on here that wanted the Browns to take Shadeur Sanders #2 overall because “we have to because he’s the second best QB and we need a QB” last offseason.

    What I’m not going to do is join in on the pipe dream that the Browns franchise QB is one of these rookies so I can dream that we now have two first rounders next draft that we don’t have to use on a QB. The only reason we should not use one (or both) first rounders on a QB next draft is because there isn’t one worth taking. 

    Nobody here drafted them - but there's no way to evaluate them without seeing them play.  Otherwise, why waste the 2 draft picks when you're coming off a 3-14 record with all the needs this team had going into the draft.

    @flugel said:

    Nobody here drafted them - but there's no way to evaluate them without seeing them play.  Otherwise, why waste the 2 draft picks when you're coming off a 3-14 record with all the needs this team had going into the draft.

    Gabriel without a doubt will start games for the Browns. Once again, it’s September.

  • @flugel said:

    Nobody here drafted them - but there's no way to evaluate them without seeing them play.  Otherwise, why waste the 2 draft picks when you're coming off a 3-14 record with all the needs this team had going into the draft.

    Gabriel without a doubt will start games for the Browns. Once again, it’s September.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Gabriel without a doubt will start games for the Browns. Once again, it’s September.

    I hope you are right that at least one of the two starts and not just a couple at the meaningless end.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Gabriel without a doubt will start games for the Browns. Once again, it’s September.

    I hope you are right that at least one of the two starts and not just a couple at the meaningless end.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I hope you are right that at least one of the two starts and not just a couple at the meaningless end.

    I’ll honestly be surprised if Gabriel isn’t starting by the end of October at the latest. I think they’ll let Flacco get through the next three opponents (Detroit, Pittsburgh and Minnesota) and then seriously consider making the switch to #8.

  • @flugel said:

    Nobody here drafted them - but there's no way to evaluate them without seeing them play.  Otherwise, why waste the 2 draft picks when you're coming off a 3-14 record with all the needs this team had going into the draft.

    Gabriel without a doubt will start games for the Browns. Once again, it’s September.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Gabriel without a doubt will start games for the Browns. Once again, it’s September.

    This has less to do with September than what Flacco looks like the first 3 games.  That's our elephant in the room with a visit to Detroit on deck.  As much as I hate throwing a rookie out to that scenario - I can't see Flacco snapping out of it against a defense that swarmed and sacked Lamar Monday Night.  I'm okay with starting Flacco as long as the Browns put in the relief pitcher as soon as it's warranted...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Gabriel without a doubt will start games for the Browns. Once again, it’s September.

    This has less to do with September than what Flacco looks like the first 3 games.  That's our elephant in the room with a visit to Detroit on deck.  As much as I hate throwing a rookie out to that scenario - I can't see Flacco snapping out of it against a defense that swarmed and sacked Lamar Monday Night.  I'm okay with starting Flacco as long as the Browns put in the relief pitcher as soon as it's warranted...

    @flugel said:

    This has less to do with September than what Flacco looks like the first 3 games.  That's our elephant in the room with a visit to Detroit on deck.  As much as I hate throwing a rookie out to that scenario - I can't see Flacco snapping out of it against a defense that swarmed and sacked Lamar Monday Night.  I'm okay with starting Flacco as long as the Browns put in the relief pitcher as soon as it's warranted...

    It's funny how everyone hates to throw rookie QBs in too early yet almost everyone can't resist the thought of throwing rookie QBs in too early.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I hope you are right that at least one of the two starts and not just a couple at the meaningless end.

    I’ll honestly be surprised if Gabriel isn’t starting by the end of October at the latest. I think they’ll let Flacco get through the next three opponents (Detroit, Pittsburgh and Minnesota) and then seriously consider making the switch to #8.

    @dutch-oven said:

    I think they’ll let Flacco get through the next three opponents (Detroit, Pittsburgh and Minnesota) and then seriously consider making the switch to #8.

    I'm on record somewhere 'round here saying I thought he'd start at Pittsburgh or the following week at home.  Of course that depends on how things are rolling at that time.   If we're winning and Flacco is doing ok then there will be no changes made.  Josh Cribbs doesn't think it will happen until we're eliminated from the playoff race.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm not sure there really is a better QB than either rookie we now have. OL and WR 1.

    You aren't sure there is a QB in college now that is better than either rookie who haven't played one down in the regular season of an NFL game? 

    One rookie that I would guess the overall feeling is the Browns drafted a round or two early, and another rookie who seemingly is even behind THAT guy in the eyes of the coaching staff. 

    The Browns will have a top 10 pick. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    You aren't sure there is a QB in college now that is better than either rookie who haven't played one down in the regular season of an NFL game? 

    One rookie that I would guess the overall feeling is the Browns drafted a round or two early, and another rookie who seemingly is even behind THAT guy in the eyes of the coaching staff. 

    The Browns will have a top 10 pick. 

    Neither has any college QB, so I don't understand your comment?

  • @flugel said:

    This has less to do with September than what Flacco looks like the first 3 games.  That's our elephant in the room with a visit to Detroit on deck.  As much as I hate throwing a rookie out to that scenario - I can't see Flacco snapping out of it against a defense that swarmed and sacked Lamar Monday Night.  I'm okay with starting Flacco as long as the Browns put in the relief pitcher as soon as it's warranted...

    It's funny how everyone hates to throw rookie QBs in too early yet almost everyone can't resist the thought of throwing rookie QBs in too early.

    @dutch-oven said:

    It's funny how everyone hates to throw rookie QBs in too early yet almost everyone can't resist the thought of throwing rookie QBs in too early.

    Not everyone.  Probably just a lot of the guys that were old enough to see Kosar play in 12 games (starting 10 or 11 of those) as a rookie in 1985 to realize how important that experience was in order to take the next step in 1986 with a 12-4 record.  The plan wasn't to start Bernie that early but Danielson got hurt so why not? That said, both Mack and Byner rushed for over 1000 yards apiece to take the pressure off the young QB.  This team has 2 promising RBs that can help as well as an impressive tandem of TEs. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It's funny how everyone hates to throw rookie QBs in too early yet almost everyone can't resist the thought of throwing rookie QBs in too early.

    Not everyone.  Probably just a lot of the guys that were old enough to see Kosar play in 12 games (starting 10 or 11 of those) as a rookie in 1985 to realize how important that experience was in order to take the next step in 1986 with a 12-4 record.  The plan wasn't to start Bernie that early but Danielson got hurt so why not? That said, both Mack and Byner rushed for over 1000 yards apiece to take the pressure off the young QB.  This team has 2 promising RBs that can help as well as an impressive tandem of TEs. 

    @flugel said:

    Not everyone.  Probably just a lot of the guys that were old enough to see Kosar play in 12 games (starting 10 or 11 of those) as a rookie in 1985 to realize how important that experience was in order to take the next step in 1986 with a 12-4 record.  The plan wasn't to start Bernie that early but Danielson got hurt so why not? That said, both Mack and Byner rushed for over 1000 yards apiece to take the pressure off the young QB.  This team has 2 promising RBs that can help as well as an impressive tandem of TEs. 

    And an unimpressive depleted OL. What could go wrong. Flacco can be the sacrificial lamb (or old goat) until we are halfway through the next several losses.

  • @flugel said:

    Not everyone.  Probably just a lot of the guys that were old enough to see Kosar play in 12 games (starting 10 or 11 of those) as a rookie in 1985 to realize how important that experience was in order to take the next step in 1986 with a 12-4 record.  The plan wasn't to start Bernie that early but Danielson got hurt so why not? That said, both Mack and Byner rushed for over 1000 yards apiece to take the pressure off the young QB.  This team has 2 promising RBs that can help as well as an impressive tandem of TEs. 

    And an unimpressive depleted OL. What could go wrong. Flacco can be the sacrificial lamb (or old goat) until we are halfway through the next several losses.

    @texasag1969 said:

    And an unimpressive depleted OL. What could go wrong. Flacco can be the sacrificial lamb (or old goat) until we are halfway through the next several losses.

    Well he is playing against the Lions in their home.  Hopefully sacking Lamar Jackson 7 times diffused a little of their insatiable appetite. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And an unimpressive depleted OL. What could go wrong. Flacco can be the sacrificial lamb (or old goat) until we are halfway through the next several losses.

    Well he is playing against the Lions in their home.  Hopefully sacking Lamar Jackson 7 times diffused a little of their insatiable appetite. 

    @flugel said:

    Well he is playing against the Lions in their home.  Hopefully sacking Lamar Jackson 7 times diffused a little of their insatiable appetite. 

    And I always dreamed Marilyn or Brigitte would have an insatiable appetite for me in my mid-teens. Hey, it coulda happened.???

  • Allar, nope.

    Awful game vs the Ducks

  • Allar, nope.

    Awful game vs the Ducks

    @bob806 said:

    Allar, nope.

    Awful game vs the Ducks

    Dude put up some monster stats. 

    14/25  137yards 2tds. 1int 

  • @bob806 said:

    Allar, nope.

    Awful game vs the Ducks

    Dude put up some monster stats. 

    14/25  137yards 2tds. 1int 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Dude put up some monster stats. 

    14/25  137yards 2tds. 1int 

    I don't want to root against a local kid, but he's just not NFL ready, maybe never will be.

  • @bob806 said:

    Allar, nope.

    Awful game vs the Ducks

    Dude put up some monster stats. 

    14/25  137yards 2tds. 1int 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Dude put up some monster stats. 

    14/25  137yards 2tds. 1int 

    @bob806 said:

    I don't want to root against a local kid, but he's just not NFL ready, maybe never will be.

    But......................................................cal called this one so you both must be wrong.?

  • @flugel said:

    Not everyone.  Probably just a lot of the guys that were old enough to see Kosar play in 12 games (starting 10 or 11 of those) as a rookie in 1985 to realize how important that experience was in order to take the next step in 1986 with a 12-4 record.  The plan wasn't to start Bernie that early but Danielson got hurt so why not? That said, both Mack and Byner rushed for over 1000 yards apiece to take the pressure off the young QB.  This team has 2 promising RBs that can help as well as an impressive tandem of TEs. 

    And an unimpressive depleted OL. What could go wrong. Flacco can be the sacrificial lamb (or old goat) until we are halfway through the next several losses.

    @texasag1969 said:

    And an unimpressive depleted OL. What could go wrong. Flacco can be the sacrificial lamb (or old goat) until we are halfway through the next several losses.

    It was the same situation the 1st time Flacco showed up here in 2023. On the OL the Browns were strong from Guard to Guard while OTs Jack Conklin (week 2) & Jed Wills (week 9) went on IR with rookie RT Dawand Jones joining them. Anyway, they had to sign an unemployed Geron Christian to replace the previous starter - and it felt like he improved the position even if by accident.  There's something about a WILLINGNESS to break a sweat at Offensive Tackle that excites me for some inexplicable reason. Nothing has changed except the strength of schedule and the speed of Flacco's processor. 

    Were the FREAKIN cues and clues to upgrade the edges of pass protection from the lack of reliability and depreciated values at OT here that impossible to see from our FO?  How many times can our FO watch the same exact result without understanding it?  They didn't even take swing at strike 3 this year.  The Giants landed a gem in round 5 Purdue's Marcus Mbow that the Browns SHOULD HAVE gone after if they were just going to make a joke out of the Sanders pick anyway.  

    While YES this was finally a good draft after 3 years without a 1st round draft pick and 2 years without a 2nd round draft pick - you better believe this FO owed our fanbase this a good draft for once.  Not for nothing, last year's 2nd round pick DT Mike Hall Jr ain't exactly contributing yet in season #2 so let's stop being so damn forgiving until we move our edges of pass protection out further than the OGs for God sakes...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Dude put up some monster stats. 

    14/25  137yards 2tds. 1int 

    I don't want to root against a local kid, but he's just not NFL ready, maybe never will be.

    @bob806 said:

    I don't want to root against a local kid, but he's just not NFL ready, maybe never will be.

    The only thing he has in common with Bernie Kosar aside from the local kid thing is ideal height.  In fact, he has better mobility too but in a passing era - QBs get railroaded into a need for precision passing.  While that deep throw for a TD was beautiful from Allar last night - it was really just a deep timing pattern to an area of the field that worked out much like Hail Mary passes do occasionally.  

    He'll probably get drafted by an NFL team that thinks they can go Dr Frankenstein-level on the re-wire process.  I see a big heart in the kid and I like that but he's got the same problems he's had.  Maybe it's just a need for better offensive coaching than Franklin & Staff are giving him as others have pointed out.  I can't say.  

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Dude put up some monster stats. 

    14/25  137yards 2tds. 1int 

    I don't want to root against a local kid, but he's just not NFL ready, maybe never will be.

    @bob806 said:

    I don't want to root against a local kid, but he's just not NFL ready, maybe never will be.

    On paper he checks all the boxes, but on the field when push comes to shove he just is so pedestrian so often, especially at crunch time. You can only blame his head coach being the slightly darker hued John Cooper so much. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Dude put up some monster stats. 

    14/25  137yards 2tds. 1int 

    @bob806 said:

    I don't want to root against a local kid, but he's just not NFL ready, maybe never will be.

    But......................................................cal called this one so you both must be wrong.?

    @texasag1969 said:

    But......................................................cal called this one so you both must be wrong.?

    I mean, he was right that ONE time about Josh Allen.  So, as you know, that means I *must* defer to him.