Skip to content

Time for Hawaii 5-9 to start!!

The Browns Board
71 18 1.2k 1
  • We are the only team that hasn't score 20pts this season....

    Cmon man!!

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @kvoethe said:

    We are the only team that hasn't score 20pts this season....

    Cmon man!!

    That was kind of a things last year too. I just peeked, we scored 20+ points twice last year. And hey, we won those games. 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #4
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Per CBS Sports this is happening.

    I haven't posted the Tale of the Tape yet, but, the Vikings pass defense is ranked 3rd in the league.  (we're 4th)  So, I'm not sure that this is the best time to do it....but sitting at 1-3, the season is slipping away (1/4 done).  I certainly understand the argument that it's time to start seeing what we have in the rookie draft pick QB, in the context of evaluation ahead of the 2026 draft where we have two 1st round picks.  -  I'll be on the golf course while he's making his debut.  Good luck to him!

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Per CBS Sports this is happening.

    I haven't posted the Tale of the Tape yet, but, the Vikings pass defense is ranked 3rd in the league.  (we're 4th)  So, I'm not sure that this is the best time to do it....but sitting at 1-3, the season is slipping away (1/4 done).  I certainly understand the argument that it's time to start seeing what we have in the rookie draft pick QB, in the context of evaluation ahead of the 2026 draft where we have two 1st round picks.  -  I'll be on the golf course while he's making his debut.  Good luck to him!

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @orion said:

    I haven't posted the Tale of the Tape yet, but, the Vikings pass defense is ranked 3rd in the league.  (we're 4th)  So, I'm not sure that this is the best time to do it....but sitting at 1-3, the season is slipping away (1/4 done).  I certainly understand the argument that it's time to start seeing what we have in the rookie draft pick QB, in the context of evaluation ahead of the 2026 draft where we have two 1st round picks.  -  I'll be on the golf course while he's making his debut.  Good luck to him!

    I was cool riding with Flacco up to the Pittsburgh game. I figured that would be the line of demarcation.

    But this is probably more exciting. Just throw the rook in there and see what happens.

  • @orion said:

    I haven't posted the Tale of the Tape yet, but, the Vikings pass defense is ranked 3rd in the league.  (we're 4th)  So, I'm not sure that this is the best time to do it....but sitting at 1-3, the season is slipping away (1/4 done).  I certainly understand the argument that it's time to start seeing what we have in the rookie draft pick QB, in the context of evaluation ahead of the 2026 draft where we have two 1st round picks.  -  I'll be on the golf course while he's making his debut.  Good luck to him!

    I was cool riding with Flacco up to the Pittsburgh game. I figured that would be the line of demarcation.

    But this is probably more exciting. Just throw the rook in there and see what happens.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I was cool riding with Flacco up to the Pittsburgh game. I figured that would be the line of demarcation.

    But this is probably more exciting. Just throw the rook in there and see what happens.

    Kinda would be cool for the Flacco v Rodgers old men storyline (though much cooler if we were competitive)

    But also this season was always gonna be a wash so it makes sense to get the rookies time and get some tape.

    It is nearly the only reason I'd have motivation to watch these boring games with the anemic offense, just to see something different.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Looks like some of you are going to get your wishes to be entertained and Gabriel will replace Flacco.

    Might as well cue the "Wait... let's put in Sanders!" posts in 5, 4, 3... 

  • image.thumb.png.bbc5da6da671dcc66b17d49378ec4bb3.png

    Kosar says, If you want to screw up another QB, then go ahead and play him now.

    I say, either at Pittsburgh, or more probably at home against Miami.

    Supposedly, the players like Flacco and don't want him pulled until it has to be done.  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @orion said:

    image.thumb.png.bbc5da6da671dcc66b17d49378ec4bb3.png

    Kosar says, If you want to screw up another QB, then go ahead and play him now.

    I say, either at Pittsburgh, or more probably at home against Miami.

    Supposedly, the players like Flacco and don't want him pulled until it has to be done.  

    It's not 1985 any more; but Kosar played in 12 of 16 games and started 10 of them.  That year, the Browns went 8-8 which was good enough for 1st place in the AFC Central.  It also gave him the experience volume necessary for a 12-4 record to follow the next year under new OC - Lindy Infante. Aside from that, Kosar only started 2 years at the college level in comparison with Gabriel starting for 6 years in the blend of 3 different college programs at UCF, Oklahoma and Oregon.  Bo Nix is also a guy with a blended wealth of starting experience at 2 different college football programs that shortened the length of growing pains. 

    Just a few question in pertinence to the here and now.  Has Gabriel seen Joe Flacco hold onto the ball too long?; Has he seen Joe Flacco make bad decisions?;  Has he seen Joe Flacco playing like a lost rookie QB as recently as start #4 this season?; Has he seen the disaster on the edges of our pass pro better than Flacco did?  Okay, so Joe showed him how not to play QB.  

    He's not gonna get his growing pains until he plays the position where they are inevitable.  For example, Troy Aikman had one of the worst rookie years ever before he QB'd the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowl wins during his HOF career that unfolded. Yes, silly fans in Dallas were complaining Steve Walsh was their best QB at Aikman's very 1st incompletion.  Some of those knuckleheads probably even though Joe Walsh in another entertainment industry would be a better QB. It's the nature of the beast.  That said, I think we're also seeing the beginning of a new trend of successful young QBs that played in 2-3 different college football programs like Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix & even Jalen Hurts.  Come to think of it, Baker had a pretty good rookie season after playing at 2 different college programs (Texas Tech & Oklahoma).  

  • Looks like some of you are going to get your wishes to be entertained and Gabriel will replace Flacco.

    Might as well cue the "Wait... let's put in Sanders!" posts in 5, 4, 3... 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @dutch-oven said:

    Looks like some of you are going to get your wishes to be entertained and Gabriel will replace Flacco.

    Might as well cue the "Wait... let's put in Sanders!" posts in 5, 4, 3... 

    Stop!   Cinderella had until midnight so I'm giving Gabriel a couple snaps...

  • @orion said:

    image.thumb.png.bbc5da6da671dcc66b17d49378ec4bb3.png

    Kosar says, If you want to screw up another QB, then go ahead and play him now.

    I say, either at Pittsburgh, or more probably at home against Miami.

    Supposedly, the players like Flacco and don't want him pulled until it has to be done.  

    It's not 1985 any more; but Kosar played in 12 of 16 games and started 10 of them.  That year, the Browns went 8-8 which was good enough for 1st place in the AFC Central.  It also gave him the experience volume necessary for a 12-4 record to follow the next year under new OC - Lindy Infante. Aside from that, Kosar only started 2 years at the college level in comparison with Gabriel starting for 6 years in the blend of 3 different college programs at UCF, Oklahoma and Oregon.  Bo Nix is also a guy with a blended wealth of starting experience at 2 different college football programs that shortened the length of growing pains. 

    Just a few question in pertinence to the here and now.  Has Gabriel seen Joe Flacco hold onto the ball too long?; Has he seen Joe Flacco make bad decisions?;  Has he seen Joe Flacco playing like a lost rookie QB as recently as start #4 this season?; Has he seen the disaster on the edges of our pass pro better than Flacco did?  Okay, so Joe showed him how not to play QB.  

    He's not gonna get his growing pains until he plays the position where they are inevitable.  For example, Troy Aikman had one of the worst rookie years ever before he QB'd the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowl wins during his HOF career that unfolded. Yes, silly fans in Dallas were complaining Steve Walsh was their best QB at Aikman's very 1st incompletion.  Some of those knuckleheads probably even though Joe Walsh in another entertainment industry would be a better QB. It's the nature of the beast.  That said, I think we're also seeing the beginning of a new trend of successful young QBs that played in 2-3 different college football programs like Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix & even Jalen Hurts.  Come to think of it, Baker had a pretty good rookie season after playing at 2 different college programs (Texas Tech & Oklahoma).  

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @flugel said:

    but Kosar played in 12 of 16 games and started 10 of them.  That year

    Kosar had a great running game to take pressure away from the passing gamer.  Gabriel does not have that.  Perhaps the new LT helps...but he may not even play this weekend as he only just arrived on the scene.  Plus, they have to fly to Europe, which eats into practice time.  But it's not like he was a 1st round pick.  He was really drafted to be the backup QB of the future.  He's got a lot of college experience, so, go ahead and throw him in there.  What have you really got to lose by throwing him into a poor offensive side of the ball?  If he gets psychologically ruined as Kosar predicts, what have you really lost?  

  • @flugel said:

    but Kosar played in 12 of 16 games and started 10 of them.  That year

    Kosar had a great running game to take pressure away from the passing gamer.  Gabriel does not have that.  Perhaps the new LT helps...but he may not even play this weekend as he only just arrived on the scene.  Plus, they have to fly to Europe, which eats into practice time.  But it's not like he was a 1st round pick.  He was really drafted to be the backup QB of the future.  He's got a lot of college experience, so, go ahead and throw him in there.  What have you really got to lose by throwing him into a poor offensive side of the ball?  If he gets psychologically ruined as Kosar predicts, what have you really lost?  

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @orion said:

    Kosar had a great running game to take pressure away from the passing gamer.  Gabriel does not have that.  Perhaps the new LT helps...but he may not even play this weekend as he only just arrived on the scene.  Plus, they have to fly to Europe, which eats into practice time.  But it's not like he was a 1st round pick.  He was really drafted to be the backup QB of the future.  He's got a lot of college experience, so, go ahead and throw him in there.  What have you really got to lose by throwing him into a poor offensive side of the ball?  If he gets psychologically ruined as Kosar predicts, what have you really lost?  

    A top 100 pick in draft capital and longterm quality backup. 

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I'm not sure why anyone has negative musings about this happening.

    Joe was actively losing games for this team- it's time to see if the Browns need to draft a QB in '26 or not. This isn't rushing in a rookie because of pressure, it's objectively benching a bad football player. Never, ever going to be a 'perfect' time to start a rookie QB. 

  • M MDDawg wrote on last edited by MDDawg
    #14

    Joe gave the team zero incentive to keep fielding him. On film review he had happy feet and was not seeing the field or reading the defense properly just like a rookie with the disadvantage of being immobile. The kicker is Shadeur is still QB3. 

  • @flugel said:

    but Kosar played in 12 of 16 games and started 10 of them.  That year

    Kosar had a great running game to take pressure away from the passing gamer.  Gabriel does not have that.  Perhaps the new LT helps...but he may not even play this weekend as he only just arrived on the scene.  Plus, they have to fly to Europe, which eats into practice time.  But it's not like he was a 1st round pick.  He was really drafted to be the backup QB of the future.  He's got a lot of college experience, so, go ahead and throw him in there.  What have you really got to lose by throwing him into a poor offensive side of the ball?  If he gets psychologically ruined as Kosar predicts, what have you really lost?  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #15

    @orion said:

    Kosar had a great running game to take pressure away from the passing gamer.  Gabriel does not have that.  Perhaps the new LT helps...but he may not even play this weekend as he only just arrived on the scene.  Plus, they have to fly to Europe, which eats into practice time.  But it's not like he was a 1st round pick.  He was really drafted to be the backup QB of the future.  He's got a lot of college experience, so, go ahead and throw him in there.  What have you really got to lose by throwing him into a poor offensive side of the ball?  If he gets psychologically ruined as Kosar predicts, what have you really lost?  

    This could be a good conversation (whether you agree with what I'm saying or not) if you can get past Bernie's 1985 mentality for QBs being drafted today in 2024 & 2025 and read what I was showing you about Jayden Daniels and Bo Nix. If learning from a stale veteran was beneficial - don't you think a SB Champion Coach like Sean Payton would have kept Russell Wilson in Denver for another year so Bo Nix could learn from him? No, Wilson went on to get stale in Pittsburgh last year before he remained stale for the Giants this year.  Jaxson Dart didn't even need great stats to give that offense a spark. Again, Bernie only had 2 years of experience starting in college so that is a big part of why he said he wished he could have had a little longer to watch a starting NFL QB go through a week of game preparation longer than he had.  The reason that all got expedited was also because Danielson got injured.

    Anyway, your point about the running game helped Bernie is true - so I'm relieved to see the spark our 220 lb rookie RB Judkins has given this running game. He's actually a blend of Mack & Byner with a little more quickness/footspeed.  Byner ran a 4.65 coming out of East Carolina which is why Byner was a 10th round pick. I shared Judkins' stats (below) despite no training camp or preseason games to warm up with.  We can agree he provides the strongest prong of attack as a rookie. If this team has aspirations to use use a 1st round pick on a QB just 1 year after it drafted not 1 but 2 QBs - I'd at least like to see what 1 or both has before we race to conclusions that next year's QB class has the football savior just waiting on our 1st round door step.  Or, we can keep the offense parked with Flacco on a team that's already lost confidence in him.  While Flacco still has a strong arm - his processer isn't keeping up with the speed of the game and/or this FO's lack of commitment to excellence at OT on the edges lacking pass pro. The Deer in headlights hasn't gone away anytime it isn't a timing pattern of just plant and throw to a specified area from a specified drop.  The deep passes from a rollout are also timing patterns following similar criteria.  

    image.png.5be7c96fe89e2ca69883769afbe48c86.png

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #16

    We have a bad “picker” when it comes to the QB position.  It would behoove us to work from a spot with as much information as possible for making personnel decisions next season.  Although 1. This front office and coaching staff have their @sses on the line they are thinking here and now 2. Regardless of the Gabriel selection I believe around April 2025 we were in the market for a QB at the top of the draft in 2026. If we weren’t we would have operated in the Browns fashion moved way up well before where he was selected and taken “our” qb  

  • @orion said:

    Kosar had a great running game to take pressure away from the passing gamer.  Gabriel does not have that.  Perhaps the new LT helps...but he may not even play this weekend as he only just arrived on the scene.  Plus, they have to fly to Europe, which eats into practice time.  But it's not like he was a 1st round pick.  He was really drafted to be the backup QB of the future.  He's got a lot of college experience, so, go ahead and throw him in there.  What have you really got to lose by throwing him into a poor offensive side of the ball?  If he gets psychologically ruined as Kosar predicts, what have you really lost?  

    This could be a good conversation (whether you agree with what I'm saying or not) if you can get past Bernie's 1985 mentality for QBs being drafted today in 2024 & 2025 and read what I was showing you about Jayden Daniels and Bo Nix. If learning from a stale veteran was beneficial - don't you think a SB Champion Coach like Sean Payton would have kept Russell Wilson in Denver for another year so Bo Nix could learn from him? No, Wilson went on to get stale in Pittsburgh last year before he remained stale for the Giants this year.  Jaxson Dart didn't even need great stats to give that offense a spark. Again, Bernie only had 2 years of experience starting in college so that is a big part of why he said he wished he could have had a little longer to watch a starting NFL QB go through a week of game preparation longer than he had.  The reason that all got expedited was also because Danielson got injured.

    Anyway, your point about the running game helped Bernie is true - so I'm relieved to see the spark our 220 lb rookie RB Judkins has given this running game. He's actually a blend of Mack & Byner with a little more quickness/footspeed.  Byner ran a 4.65 coming out of East Carolina which is why Byner was a 10th round pick. I shared Judkins' stats (below) despite no training camp or preseason games to warm up with.  We can agree he provides the strongest prong of attack as a rookie. If this team has aspirations to use use a 1st round pick on a QB just 1 year after it drafted not 1 but 2 QBs - I'd at least like to see what 1 or both has before we race to conclusions that next year's QB class has the football savior just waiting on our 1st round door step.  Or, we can keep the offense parked with Flacco on a team that's already lost confidence in him.  While Flacco still has a strong arm - his processer isn't keeping up with the speed of the game and/or this FO's lack of commitment to excellence at OT on the edges lacking pass pro. The Deer in headlights hasn't gone away anytime it isn't a timing pattern of just plant and throw to a specified area from a specified drop.  The deep passes from a rollout are also timing patterns following similar criteria.  

    image.png.5be7c96fe89e2ca69883769afbe48c86.png

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @flugel said:

    whether you agree with what I'm saying or not

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #18

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Well at least he gets two WRs off the PS that's he's familiar with, Corley and Larvadain.

  • @flugel said:

    whether you agree with what I'm saying or not

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @orion said:

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

     My last experience playing RB was as a slot/option back my senior year of high school.   Its been a minute...

     That said, blocking up front doesnt go completely as scheduled quite a bit.  You don't always get clean leads and holes, RBs have to read as much as anyone on the field not playing QB. 

     There's a reason lesser athletes excel at RB while great athletes can struggle - the mentals and the subtle nuances to the position. 

     You are right, it's the position most commonly where rookies can get snaps.  

     But just saying "hold the rock, run here" is something of a massive stretch. 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Yep.

    Gabriel named starter.

    Have to give the Browns credit. Mostly, the offensive coordinator had to 

    have a serious talk with Stupanski.

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-name-dillon-gabriel-starting-quarterback-week-5

    Browns name Dillon Gabriel starting quarterback for Week 5

    Shedeur Sanders will still be on the bench

  • @orion said:

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

     My last experience playing RB was as a slot/option back my senior year of high school.   Its been a minute...

     That said, blocking up front doesnt go completely as scheduled quite a bit.  You don't always get clean leads and holes, RBs have to read as much as anyone on the field not playing QB. 

     There's a reason lesser athletes excel at RB while great athletes can struggle - the mentals and the subtle nuances to the position. 

     You are right, it's the position most commonly where rookies can get snaps.  

     But just saying "hold the rock, run here" is something of a massive stretch. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @tiamat63 said:

     But just saying "hold the rock, run here" is something of a massive stretch.

    I don't think so.  RB's have been playing the position for a long time before getting drafted...especially higher in the draft.  Unless you're Jerome Ford, you know that if the hole is not there you're supposed to use your vision to find a better option.  And if there is none, then you smash the hole and get a yard or two.  It's not rocket science.  Now, if you want to talk passing situations and the blocking responsibilities, then sure, don't put him in there to pass block until he knows what the heck he's supposed to do...but he better know how to run the ball right out of the box or you've made a bad draft pick.