Skip to content

Time for Hawaii 5-9 to start!!

The Browns Board
71 18 1.2k 1
  • @flugel said:

    whether you agree with what I'm saying or not

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @orion said:

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

     My last experience playing RB was as a slot/option back my senior year of high school.   Its been a minute...

     That said, blocking up front doesnt go completely as scheduled quite a bit.  You don't always get clean leads and holes, RBs have to read as much as anyone on the field not playing QB. 

     There's a reason lesser athletes excel at RB while great athletes can struggle - the mentals and the subtle nuances to the position. 

     You are right, it's the position most commonly where rookies can get snaps.  

     But just saying "hold the rock, run here" is something of a massive stretch. 

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Yep.

    Gabriel named starter.

    Have to give the Browns credit. Mostly, the offensive coordinator had to 

    have a serious talk with Stupanski.

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-name-dillon-gabriel-starting-quarterback-week-5

    Browns name Dillon Gabriel starting quarterback for Week 5

    Shedeur Sanders will still be on the bench

  • @orion said:

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

     My last experience playing RB was as a slot/option back my senior year of high school.   Its been a minute...

     That said, blocking up front doesnt go completely as scheduled quite a bit.  You don't always get clean leads and holes, RBs have to read as much as anyone on the field not playing QB. 

     There's a reason lesser athletes excel at RB while great athletes can struggle - the mentals and the subtle nuances to the position. 

     You are right, it's the position most commonly where rookies can get snaps.  

     But just saying "hold the rock, run here" is something of a massive stretch. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @tiamat63 said:

     But just saying "hold the rock, run here" is something of a massive stretch.

    I don't think so.  RB's have been playing the position for a long time before getting drafted...especially higher in the draft.  Unless you're Jerome Ford, you know that if the hole is not there you're supposed to use your vision to find a better option.  And if there is none, then you smash the hole and get a yard or two.  It's not rocket science.  Now, if you want to talk passing situations and the blocking responsibilities, then sure, don't put him in there to pass block until he knows what the heck he's supposed to do...but he better know how to run the ball right out of the box or you've made a bad draft pick.

  • Yep.

    Gabriel named starter.

    Have to give the Browns credit. Mostly, the offensive coordinator had to 

    have a serious talk with Stupanski.

    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/browns-name-dillon-gabriel-starting-quarterback-week-5

    Browns name Dillon Gabriel starting quarterback for Week 5

    Shedeur Sanders will still be on the bench

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @calfoxwc said:

    Browns name Dillon Gabriel starting quarterback for Week 5

    Shedeur Sanders will still be on the bench

    Right now that's where Sanders belongs.  Emergency QB.

  • @flugel said:

    whether you agree with what I'm saying or not

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #24

    @orion said:

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

    Very good points.  I brought up Judkins because you reminded me what a tremendous help Mack & Byner were to Bernie in the rookie year.   They certainly helped moved the chains with 1 prong of attack to take a lot of pressure off Bernie. Access to a talented/efficient RB or running game looks similar for Gabriel to that of Bernie in 85.  Not quite 2000 yards of rushing worth; but certainly enough to move the chains and keep drives alive. 

    I responded to the your point Kosar made about a week ago just the other day.   I think I mentioned there was a discussion during training camp when Kosar said the same thing on a video shared in a thread during training camp.  I actually posted it's a great idea to make the rookie(s) wait thinking Flacco wasn't going to struggle to re-learn the things he was efficient with just 2 years ago.  He's not even close to being that same guy this year; and apparently he wasn't in Indy last year.

    When teams are managed as poorly as this one has been (prior to a strong rookie class this year) - what in the world were they thinking drafting 2 QBs in this draft for knowing they have 2 1st round picks next year?  Keep in mind there's a team in LA that can draft a guy like WR Puka Nacua in the 5th round.  The Browns threw away the rest of their draft to trade into round 5 for Sanders.  I agree his last outing was a bad one so does that mean he's never going to be capable of being the guy we saw in the 1st pre-season game?  I don't know but why would they draft another QB just 2 rounds later if they trusted their intuition about Gabriel in the 1st place?  I don't want to waste 1 more minute on Flacco even though I expect some growing pains with Gabriel.  That said, if he's practicing with the projected starters for this game plan against a blitz happy Defensive Coordinator - he's got 2 TEs, 1-2 RBs and a speedy Isaiah Bond that can beat the blitz.  Am I just wishful thinking?  We're gonna find out early Sunday Morning...

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Browns name Dillon Gabriel starting quarterback for Week 5

    Shedeur Sanders will still be on the bench

    Right now that's where Sanders belongs.  Emergency QB.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @orion said:

    Right now that's where Sanders belongs.  Emergency QB.

    Precisely - Like "911 can you hold?" kind of emergency...  1 thing at a time.

  • @orion said:

    🙂  

    Judkins is a RB.  There's really no reason a RB can't come out of college and be inserted as the starting RB in the NFL.   I don't mean to sound mentally negative to the position...but...it's not rocket science.  - when I give you the ball, you run between those 2 guys -   But I was one that was concerned by playing Judkins in game one because he missed everything...TC, PreSeason...he didn't even show up until Wednesday of game week.  I was concerned about pulled muscles and such from not getting into 'game shape'.    I'm quite happy that he's been ok!

    I agree that Flacco has not been good (I posted a graphic depicting so), happy feet, and all that.  But why does the savvy veteran have happy feet?  (rhetorical, we know the answer)  If this was our rookie 1st round pick, QB of the future, waiting in the wings, I'd really prefer waiting until the home game against Miami.  But we're talking about a 3rd round pick smurf (sorry Mr. Gabriel, don't take it personal 🙂 ).  So I don't, as much, give a $#!+.   I've seen Sanders in the final preseason game against the Rams...running around, going backwards, holding the ball away from his body in the process.  He's got a lot to learn...despite him thinking that he's ready to start.  

    With Gabriel having such a long college career, perhaps he's as ready as he's ever going to be.  Only the coaches know if they feel that way or not.  I truly wish the smurf well. 🙂 

    Very good points.  I brought up Judkins because you reminded me what a tremendous help Mack & Byner were to Bernie in the rookie year.   They certainly helped moved the chains with 1 prong of attack to take a lot of pressure off Bernie. Access to a talented/efficient RB or running game looks similar for Gabriel to that of Bernie in 85.  Not quite 2000 yards of rushing worth; but certainly enough to move the chains and keep drives alive. 

    I responded to the your point Kosar made about a week ago just the other day.   I think I mentioned there was a discussion during training camp when Kosar said the same thing on a video shared in a thread during training camp.  I actually posted it's a great idea to make the rookie(s) wait thinking Flacco wasn't going to struggle to re-learn the things he was efficient with just 2 years ago.  He's not even close to being that same guy this year; and apparently he wasn't in Indy last year.

    When teams are managed as poorly as this one has been (prior to a strong rookie class this year) - what in the world were they thinking drafting 2 QBs in this draft for knowing they have 2 1st round picks next year?  Keep in mind there's a team in LA that can draft a guy like WR Puka Nacua in the 5th round.  The Browns threw away the rest of their draft to trade into round 5 for Sanders.  I agree his last outing was a bad one so does that mean he's never going to be capable of being the guy we saw in the 1st pre-season game?  I don't know but why would they draft another QB just 2 rounds later if they trusted their intuition about Gabriel in the 1st place?  I don't want to waste 1 more minute on Flacco even though I expect some growing pains with Gabriel.  That said, if he's practicing with the projected starters for this game plan against a blitz happy Defensive Coordinator - he's got 2 TEs, 1-2 RBs and a speedy Isaiah Bond that can beat the blitz.  Am I just wishful thinking?  We're gonna find out early Sunday Morning...

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @flugel said:

    why would they draft another QB just 2 rounds later

    Because he was there and wasn't supposed to be.  And we needed a QB in the worst way.  They took a flier and a 6th round pick on him.  I was/am ok with that thinking.  It's an important position.  

    I can envision us drafting a QB towards the top of round 1 and going into TC with that guy, Gabriel & Sanders.  And not really care what Gabriel & Sanders think about it.  They're under contract.  This is, of course, considering that Gabriel showed that he would make a good backup and Sanders showed enough to continue to develop him.  I should think that Sanders might have some sort of trade value should you want to go that route.  But school is not out on him.  We've got 3/4 of a season to go through.  Things that we couldn't imagine can happen....or not...

  • @flugel said:

    why would they draft another QB just 2 rounds later

    Because he was there and wasn't supposed to be.  And we needed a QB in the worst way.  They took a flier and a 6th round pick on him.  I was/am ok with that thinking.  It's an important position.  

    I can envision us drafting a QB towards the top of round 1 and going into TC with that guy, Gabriel & Sanders.  And not really care what Gabriel & Sanders think about it.  They're under contract.  This is, of course, considering that Gabriel showed that he would make a good backup and Sanders showed enough to continue to develop him.  I should think that Sanders might have some sort of trade value should you want to go that route.  But school is not out on him.  We've got 3/4 of a season to go through.  Things that we couldn't imagine can happen....or not...

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by Browns149
    #27

    @orion said:

    Because he was there and wasn't supposed to be.  And we needed a QB in the worst way.  They took a flier and a 6th round pick on him.  I was/am ok with that thinking.  It's an important position.  

    I can envision us drafting a QB towards the top of round 1 and going into TC with that guy, Gabriel & Sanders.  And not really care what Gabriel & Sanders think about it.  They're under contract.  This is, of course, considering that Gabriel showed that he would make a good backup and Sanders showed enough to continue to develop him.  I should think that Sanders might have some sort of trade value should you want to go that route.  But school is not out on him.  We've got 3/4 of a season to go through.  Things that we couldn't imagine can happen....or not...

    Sanders is a doofus. The guy  is immature 

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/46450557/shedeur-sanders-pantomimes-answers-browns-qb-questions

  • @flugel said:

    why would they draft another QB just 2 rounds later

    Because he was there and wasn't supposed to be.  And we needed a QB in the worst way.  They took a flier and a 6th round pick on him.  I was/am ok with that thinking.  It's an important position.  

    I can envision us drafting a QB towards the top of round 1 and going into TC with that guy, Gabriel & Sanders.  And not really care what Gabriel & Sanders think about it.  They're under contract.  This is, of course, considering that Gabriel showed that he would make a good backup and Sanders showed enough to continue to develop him.  I should think that Sanders might have some sort of trade value should you want to go that route.  But school is not out on him.  We've got 3/4 of a season to go through.  Things that we couldn't imagine can happen....or not...

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @orion said:

    Because he was there and wasn't supposed to be.  And we needed a QB in the worst way.  They took a flier and a 6th round pick on him.  I was/am ok with that thinking.  It's an important position.  

    I can envision us drafting a QB towards the top of round 1 and going into TC with that guy, Gabriel & Sanders.  And not really care what Gabriel & Sanders think about it.  They're under contract.  This is, of course, considering that Gabriel showed that he would make a good backup and Sanders showed enough to continue to develop him.  I should think that Sanders might have some sort of trade value should you want to go that route.  But school is not out on him.  We've got 3/4 of a season to go through.  Things that we couldn't imagine can happen....or not...

    We HAVE seen something similar except the Browns traded up to #3 overall in 1970 to draft Purdue's Mike Phipps.  In 1972, the Browns drafted Brian Sipe in round 13 who was on the taxi-squad (that era's version of practice squad) without suiting up for games his 1st 2 years.  When it all played out - Mike Phipps wasn't the solution while Sipe was good enough to stick around until he was the only League MVP we've seen here at QB in the Super Bowl era.  Brian Sipe & Bernie Kosar are my favorite 2 QBs I've seen play for the Browns.  Sipe wasn't supposed to have NFL arm strength so maybe Gabriel can overcome his non-prototypical height many think he can't.  

  • @orion said:

    image.thumb.png.bbc5da6da671dcc66b17d49378ec4bb3.png

    Kosar says, If you want to screw up another QB, then go ahead and play him now.

    I say, either at Pittsburgh, or more probably at home against Miami.

    Supposedly, the players like Flacco and don't want him pulled until it has to be done.  

    It's not 1985 any more; but Kosar played in 12 of 16 games and started 10 of them.  That year, the Browns went 8-8 which was good enough for 1st place in the AFC Central.  It also gave him the experience volume necessary for a 12-4 record to follow the next year under new OC - Lindy Infante. Aside from that, Kosar only started 2 years at the college level in comparison with Gabriel starting for 6 years in the blend of 3 different college programs at UCF, Oklahoma and Oregon.  Bo Nix is also a guy with a blended wealth of starting experience at 2 different college football programs that shortened the length of growing pains. 

    Just a few question in pertinence to the here and now.  Has Gabriel seen Joe Flacco hold onto the ball too long?; Has he seen Joe Flacco make bad decisions?;  Has he seen Joe Flacco playing like a lost rookie QB as recently as start #4 this season?; Has he seen the disaster on the edges of our pass pro better than Flacco did?  Okay, so Joe showed him how not to play QB.  

    He's not gonna get his growing pains until he plays the position where they are inevitable.  For example, Troy Aikman had one of the worst rookie years ever before he QB'd the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowl wins during his HOF career that unfolded. Yes, silly fans in Dallas were complaining Steve Walsh was their best QB at Aikman's very 1st incompletion.  Some of those knuckleheads probably even though Joe Walsh in another entertainment industry would be a better QB. It's the nature of the beast.  That said, I think we're also seeing the beginning of a new trend of successful young QBs that played in 2-3 different college football programs like Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix & even Jalen Hurts.  Come to think of it, Baker had a pretty good rookie season after playing at 2 different college programs (Texas Tech & Oklahoma).  

    A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @flugel said:

    Some of those knuckleheads probably even though Joe Walsh in another entertainment industry would be a better QB.

    Not a bad performance for being so late in his career.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Joe Walsh is great!  HIGHLY suggest listening to his song:  The Band Played On

    image.png.6137f9f236e6fd22b5da958f1f2ce0d3.png

    Lets see....Robert Griffin said this.  That confirms that Stef is doing it right.  

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Head coach Kevin Stefanski sounds confident in his new QB and described what he saw from Gabriel that influenced his decision.

    “From the second he’s been here, he’s worked very hard. He’s a very intelligent young man and has done a nice job throughout practice. This whole season, he’s been learning how to get himself ready and understand the rhythm of an NFL week—what that looks like as a backup. Now, I feel like he’s ready. Let’s go in there and start,” Stefanski said.

    ------  I guess I would ask this:  What does this week have to do with the 'rhythm of an NFL week'?  

  • Head coach Kevin Stefanski sounds confident in his new QB and described what he saw from Gabriel that influenced his decision.

    “From the second he’s been here, he’s worked very hard. He’s a very intelligent young man and has done a nice job throughout practice. This whole season, he’s been learning how to get himself ready and understand the rhythm of an NFL week—what that looks like as a backup. Now, I feel like he’s ready. Let’s go in there and start,” Stefanski said.

    ------  I guess I would ask this:  What does this week have to do with the 'rhythm of an NFL week'?  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #32

    @orion said:

    Head coach Kevin Stefanski sounds confident in his new QB and described what he saw from Gabriel that influenced his decision.

    “From the second he’s been here, he’s worked very hard. He’s a very intelligent young man and has done a nice job throughout practice. This whole season, he’s been learning how to get himself ready and understand the rhythm of an NFL week—what that looks like as a backup. Now, I feel like he’s ready. Let’s go in there and start,” Stefanski said.

    ------  I guess I would ask this:  What does this week have to do with the 'rhythm of an NFL week'?  

    Thanks for posting this. If I remember the video of Kosar talking about what's important for a young QB to learn from the veteran is very similar to the part I bolded from Stefanski's comment regarding "understand the rhythm of an NFL week" in your post above. 

    If I remember it right - Kosar said the whole routine from how he starts his day to film study (ie; opponent's situational tendencies/preferred formations, etc) to practice to meals to meetings w/ position coach/OC to rest/sleep and so on... My perception of what he meant was this is a big process the young QB needs to learn, get familiar with and even practice so it's all been well rehearsed when it becomes time for the rookie QB to step into his fate...

    I'm not gonna lie I'm expecting some growing pains along the way; but he made the pre-draft list of Flugel's Favorite Least Talked About Fellers as did Dylan Sampson &  Harold Fannin Jr.

  • @orion said:

    Head coach Kevin Stefanski sounds confident in his new QB and described what he saw from Gabriel that influenced his decision.

    “From the second he’s been here, he’s worked very hard. He’s a very intelligent young man and has done a nice job throughout practice. This whole season, he’s been learning how to get himself ready and understand the rhythm of an NFL week—what that looks like as a backup. Now, I feel like he’s ready. Let’s go in there and start,” Stefanski said.

    ------  I guess I would ask this:  What does this week have to do with the 'rhythm of an NFL week'?  

    Thanks for posting this. If I remember the video of Kosar talking about what's important for a young QB to learn from the veteran is very similar to the part I bolded from Stefanski's comment regarding "understand the rhythm of an NFL week" in your post above. 

    If I remember it right - Kosar said the whole routine from how he starts his day to film study (ie; opponent's situational tendencies/preferred formations, etc) to practice to meals to meetings w/ position coach/OC to rest/sleep and so on... My perception of what he meant was this is a big process the young QB needs to learn, get familiar with and even practice so it's all been well rehearsed when it becomes time for the rookie QB to step into his fate...

    I'm not gonna lie I'm expecting some growing pains along the way; but he made the pre-draft list of Flugel's Favorite Least Talked About Fellers as did Dylan Sampson &  Harold Fannin Jr.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @flugel said:

    Thanks for posting this. If I remember the video of Kosar talking about what's important for a young QB to learn from the veteran is very similar to the part I bolded from Stefanski's comment regarding "understand the rhythm of an NFL week" in your post above. 

    If I remember it right - Kosar said the whole routine from how he starts his day to film study (ie; opponent's situational tendencies/preferred formations, etc) to practice to meals to meetings w/ position coach/OC to rest/sleep and so on... My perception of what he meant was this is a big process the young QB needs to learn, get familiar with and even practice so it's all been well rehearsed when it becomes time for the rookie QB to step into his fate...

    I'm not gonna lie I'm expecting some growing pains along the way; but he made the pre-draft list of Flugel's Favorite Least Talked About Fellers as did Dylan Sampson &  Harold Fannin Jr.

    And no matter the outcome it cannot be much worse than the Flacco we see now, which is not competent play anymore unfortunately.

  • @flugel said:

    Thanks for posting this. If I remember the video of Kosar talking about what's important for a young QB to learn from the veteran is very similar to the part I bolded from Stefanski's comment regarding "understand the rhythm of an NFL week" in your post above. 

    If I remember it right - Kosar said the whole routine from how he starts his day to film study (ie; opponent's situational tendencies/preferred formations, etc) to practice to meals to meetings w/ position coach/OC to rest/sleep and so on... My perception of what he meant was this is a big process the young QB needs to learn, get familiar with and even practice so it's all been well rehearsed when it becomes time for the rookie QB to step into his fate...

    I'm not gonna lie I'm expecting some growing pains along the way; but he made the pre-draft list of Flugel's Favorite Least Talked About Fellers as did Dylan Sampson &  Harold Fannin Jr.

    And no matter the outcome it cannot be much worse than the Flacco we see now, which is not competent play anymore unfortunately.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @texasag1969 said:

    And no matter the outcome it cannot be much worse than the Flacco we see now, which is not competent play anymore unfortunately.

    True.  Hopefully the OL woes that drove the 40 yr old veteran to happy feet won't affect the rookie.

  • @flugel said:

    Thanks for posting this. If I remember the video of Kosar talking about what's important for a young QB to learn from the veteran is very similar to the part I bolded from Stefanski's comment regarding "understand the rhythm of an NFL week" in your post above. 

    If I remember it right - Kosar said the whole routine from how he starts his day to film study (ie; opponent's situational tendencies/preferred formations, etc) to practice to meals to meetings w/ position coach/OC to rest/sleep and so on... My perception of what he meant was this is a big process the young QB needs to learn, get familiar with and even practice so it's all been well rehearsed when it becomes time for the rookie QB to step into his fate...

    I'm not gonna lie I'm expecting some growing pains along the way; but he made the pre-draft list of Flugel's Favorite Least Talked About Fellers as did Dylan Sampson &  Harold Fannin Jr.

    And no matter the outcome it cannot be much worse than the Flacco we see now, which is not competent play anymore unfortunately.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @texasag1969 said:

    And no matter the outcome it cannot be much worse than the Flacco we see now, which is not competent play anymore unfortunately.

    It was barely competent in 2023.

    1.6 INTs a game.   

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And no matter the outcome it cannot be much worse than the Flacco we see now, which is not competent play anymore unfortunately.

    It was barely competent in 2023.

    1.6 INTs a game.   

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @tiamat63 said:

    It was barely competent in 2023.

    1.6 INTs a game.   

    Maybe this speaks to our ineptitude at the QB position but Joes play in 2023 aside from a flash from D. Anderson in 2007 and dare I say Mayfield at times in 2020 that’s about as best as we’ve seen since the rebirth.  I’ll leave 7-6 Hoyer 2014 off this list 

    Joes 2023 play was risky but rewarded the offense too. 
     

  • @tiamat63 said:

    It was barely competent in 2023.

    1.6 INTs a game.   

    Maybe this speaks to our ineptitude at the QB position but Joes play in 2023 aside from a flash from D. Anderson in 2007 and dare I say Mayfield at times in 2020 that’s about as best as we’ve seen since the rebirth.  I’ll leave 7-6 Hoyer 2014 off this list 

    Joes 2023 play was risky but rewarded the offense too. 
     

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Maybe this speaks to our ineptitude at the QB position but Joes play in 2023 aside from a flash from D. Anderson in 2007 and dare I say Mayfield at times in 2020 that’s about as best as we’ve seen since the rebirth.  I’ll leave 7-6 Hoyer 2014 off this list 

    Joes 2023 play was risky but rewarded the offense too. 
     

     Pretty much.    QB has been at its best and most consistent since Stefanski was hired, and the man has been handed a platter of nonsense. 

     Joe's play was risky and was in combination with a stretch of schedule against 3 of the worst teams in football at the time. 

    - Jacksonville 

    - Jets

    - Chicago 

     Had the fortune of playing HOU without 5 of their starters including their QB and best defensive player.  That went sideways in the playoffs. 

     It was fools gold that a lot of fans somehow thought would be another recipe for success 2 years later. 

     The OL decayed and the QB play with it.  Those two things are the primary problems for the direction of a losing season we're on. 

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #38

    image.png.7b5e522b280b5cc9a37193366c381f73.png

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #39

    I kind of feel bad for Flacco - especially if Gabriel plays a terrific game his first start. 

    It's going to be tough - Minnesota's defense is tough. So is our Browns'.

    Defensive battle unless the offense gets it going.

    https://www.si.com/fantasy/week-5-fantasy-football-defense-rankings-minnesota-at-the-top-of-the-list-01k6dzzchtzp

    Week 5 Fantasy Football Defense Rankings: Minnesota At The Top Of The List

    Week 5 Fantasy DST Rankings

    RK

    Player

    TM

    Opponent

    1

    Vikings

    MIN

    at CLE

    2

    Cardinals

    ARI

    vs. TEN

    3

    Lions

    DET

    at CIN

    4

    Rams

    LAR

    vs. SF

    5

    Browns

    CLE

    vs. MIN