Skip to content

Draft Simulator Season!

The Browns Board
130 17 2.9k 1
  • @dutch-oven said:

    I have a feeling we might be sleeping on how much DTackleis a need. Collin’s absence has really opened my eyes 

    ?%Agree Dutch! Without Collins our Defense is NOT the same! 

    @brownsnmopar said:

    ?%Agree Dutch! Without Collins our Defense is NOT the same! 

    You can always use good DT's.  If one that is rated BPA when we draft I will never put that down as a bad selection.  That said if all is fairly equal I probably pass.  We have a pretty solid grouping as is and DT is a position where you can usually find adequate back-up in free agency.

    I am usually very solid with the idea of drafting BPA.  That said, I am not in favor of drafting players who are primarily going to be back-up players when you are seeking starters at multiple positions. Basically we are going to hand a job to 1 offensive lineman and 1 receiver. Another offensive lineman might work his way in to a starter position as the season moves on.  Unless something too good to be true happens, I wouldn't look to draft a DT before round 5. I think we have 3 picks in that round.  I could see using one of those picks on a DT.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I have a feeling we might be sleeping on how much DTackleis a need. Collin’s absence has really opened my eyes 

    ?%Agree Dutch! Without Collins our Defense is NOT the same! 

    @brownsnmopar said:

    ?%Agree Dutch! Without Collins our Defense is NOT the same! 

    @ballpeen said:

    You can always use good DT's.  I could see using one of those picks on a DT.

    Which is why in my draft above I took a "gift" of Kayden McDonald DT from OSU at pick 42. I think he's exactly what we need.

  • There's a Texas Tech LBer Jacob Rodriguez that earned the Dick Butkus Award for Best Linebacker; Bednarik Award for Defensive Player of the Year; and Bronko Nagurski Award for Best Defensive Player.  He's a turnover machine - would be ideal working alongside Schwesinger.  And if you look at the 2nd video near the end - McAfee has some fun with J-Rod's prior experience as a QB. Round 3 or round 4? Take a peek...

  • @brownsnmopar said:

    ?%Agree Dutch! Without Collins our Defense is NOT the same! 

    You can always use good DT's.  If one that is rated BPA when we draft I will never put that down as a bad selection.  That said if all is fairly equal I probably pass.  We have a pretty solid grouping as is and DT is a position where you can usually find adequate back-up in free agency.

    I am usually very solid with the idea of drafting BPA.  That said, I am not in favor of drafting players who are primarily going to be back-up players when you are seeking starters at multiple positions. Basically we are going to hand a job to 1 offensive lineman and 1 receiver. Another offensive lineman might work his way in to a starter position as the season moves on.  Unless something too good to be true happens, I wouldn't look to draft a DT before round 5. I think we have 3 picks in that round.  I could see using one of those picks on a DT.

    @ballpeen said:

    You can always use good DT's.  If one that is rated BPA when we draft I will never put that down as a bad selection.  That said if all is fairly equal I probably pass.  We have a pretty solid grouping as is and DT is a position where you can usually find adequate back-up in free agency.

    I am usually very solid with the idea of drafting BPA.  That said, I am not in favor of drafting players who are primarily going to be back-up players when you are seeking starters at multiple positions. Basically we are going to hand a job to 1 offensive lineman and 1 receiver. Another offensive lineman might work his way in to a starter position as the season moves on.  Unless something too good to be true happens, I wouldn't look to draft a DT before round 5. I think we have 3 picks in that round.  I could see using one of those picks on a DT.

    If the first four rounds looked something like this and we went Caleb Downs and then OL, WR, OL, WR.  I’d be okay with that. 
     

    I don’t see an OL that I want within the Top 5 picks.  The top 5 of the draft is the gold jacket zone.  
     

    The far greater need on defense is having some Ward insurance, finding a slot corner and finding someone to compete against Ronnie Hickman.  And These needs are outshadowed by replacing our OL and WR rooms. 
     

    and Collins is coming back? And we have a promising rookie DT and another younger DT that will hopefully benefit from being healthy 

  • Just heard that Utah's LT Caleb Lomu will be entering the NFL Draft @flugel

  • Just heard that Utah's LT Caleb Lomu will be entering the NFL Draft @flugel

    @dutch-oven said:

    Just heard that Utah's LT Caleb Lomu will be entering the NFL Draft @flugel

    That's great news!  Thank you! 

  • @ballpeen said:

    You can always use good DT's.  If one that is rated BPA when we draft I will never put that down as a bad selection.  That said if all is fairly equal I probably pass.  We have a pretty solid grouping as is and DT is a position where you can usually find adequate back-up in free agency.

    I am usually very solid with the idea of drafting BPA.  That said, I am not in favor of drafting players who are primarily going to be back-up players when you are seeking starters at multiple positions. Basically we are going to hand a job to 1 offensive lineman and 1 receiver. Another offensive lineman might work his way in to a starter position as the season moves on.  Unless something too good to be true happens, I wouldn't look to draft a DT before round 5. I think we have 3 picks in that round.  I could see using one of those picks on a DT.

    If the first four rounds looked something like this and we went Caleb Downs and then OL, WR, OL, WR.  I’d be okay with that. 
     

    I don’t see an OL that I want within the Top 5 picks.  The top 5 of the draft is the gold jacket zone.  
     

    The far greater need on defense is having some Ward insurance, finding a slot corner and finding someone to compete against Ronnie Hickman.  And These needs are outshadowed by replacing our OL and WR rooms. 
     

    and Collins is coming back? And we have a promising rookie DT and another younger DT that will hopefully benefit from being healthy 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    If the first four rounds looked something like this and we went Caleb Downs and then OL, WR, OL, WR.  I’d be okay with that. 
     

    I don’t see an OL that I want within the Top 5 picks.  The top 5 of the draft is the gold jacket zone.  
     

    The far greater need on defense is having some Ward insurance, finding a slot corner and finding someone to compete against Ronnie Hickman.  And These needs are outshadowed by replacing our OL and WR rooms. 
     

    and Collins is coming back? And we have a promising rookie DT and another younger DT that will hopefully benefit from being healthy 

    It's safe to say we're showing up to the "all you can eat" buffet with an empty stomach.  There's going to be a lot of eye candy and desserts tempting us to boycott biggest needs or healthier choices. You have a great idea above you presented well.  I know I'm speaking to the choir here; but when we had Joe Thomas here at 27 or 28 years old - did we ever waste time considering top LT prospects?  No; we always seem to have plenty of different needs where at least 1 can match or come very close to the BPA for the draft slot or the next one. 

    Teams that do their homework know how many OTackles are worthy of 1st or 2nd round draft slots.  From what I've read and heard, this year's stock of potential/obvious immediate starters seems like it can be depleted by the end of round 2 at OT.  That said, there are OTs that will be drafted to play OG (like the Browns once did with Joel Bitonio in round 2) - we can probably find some of these guys after round 2.  It's not always the arm length that separates the guards from the tackles - it often the footwork, base and agility that determine how ell they can play with space to their outside.  If that's really good, nobody is gonna worry if a guy's arm length is only 33 or 34 inches.  If it's not good - they'll kick him inside or put him at RT if they think he can handle it.  

  • Another tackle to consider - that I don't think has really been mentioned - is 6'7", 312lb Texas OT Trevor Goosby.

    Started the season slow, but apparently was playing excellent ball by the end of the regular season. He was praised specifically for his play during the Texas A&M game. 

  • Another tackle to consider - that I don't think has really been mentioned - is 6'7", 312lb Texas OT Trevor Goosby.

    Started the season slow, but apparently was playing excellent ball by the end of the regular season. He was praised specifically for his play during the Texas A&M game. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Another tackle to consider - that I don't think has really been mentioned - is 6'7", 312lb Texas OT Trevor Goosby.

    Started the season slow, but apparently was playing excellent ball by the end of the regular season. He was praised specifically for his play during the Texas A&M game. 

    Yeah, I've drafted him on the simulator more than once. ?.  He's started at RT and now that Kelvin Banks was drafted - he had a nice season at LT.  Very good prospect! 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    If the first four rounds looked something like this and we went Caleb Downs and then OL, WR, OL, WR.  I’d be okay with that. 
     

    I don’t see an OL that I want within the Top 5 picks.  The top 5 of the draft is the gold jacket zone.  
     

    The far greater need on defense is having some Ward insurance, finding a slot corner and finding someone to compete against Ronnie Hickman.  And These needs are outshadowed by replacing our OL and WR rooms. 
     

    and Collins is coming back? And we have a promising rookie DT and another younger DT that will hopefully benefit from being healthy 

    It's safe to say we're showing up to the "all you can eat" buffet with an empty stomach.  There's going to be a lot of eye candy and desserts tempting us to boycott biggest needs or healthier choices. You have a great idea above you presented well.  I know I'm speaking to the choir here; but when we had Joe Thomas here at 27 or 28 years old - did we ever waste time considering top LT prospects?  No; we always seem to have plenty of different needs where at least 1 can match or come very close to the BPA for the draft slot or the next one. 

    Teams that do their homework know how many OTackles are worthy of 1st or 2nd round draft slots.  From what I've read and heard, this year's stock of potential/obvious immediate starters seems like it can be depleted by the end of round 2 at OT.  That said, there are OTs that will be drafted to play OG (like the Browns once did with Joel Bitonio in round 2) - we can probably find some of these guys after round 2.  It's not always the arm length that separates the guards from the tackles - it often the footwork, base and agility that determine how ell they can play with space to their outside.  If that's really good, nobody is gonna worry if a guy's arm length is only 33 or 34 inches.  If it's not good - they'll kick him inside or put him at RT if they think he can handle it.  

    @flugel said:

    It's safe to say we're showing up the the "all you can eat" buffet with an empty stomach.  There's going to be a lot of eye candy and desserts tempting us to boycott biggest needs or healthier choices. You have a great idea above you presented well.  I know I'm speaking to the choir here; but when we had Joe Thomas here at 27 or 28 years old - did we ever waste time considering top LT prospects?  No; we always seem to have plenty of different needs where at least 1 can match or come very close to the BPA for the draft slot or the next one. 

    Teams that do their homework know how many OTackles are worthy of 1st or 2nd round draft slots.  From what I've read and heard, this year's stock of potential/obvious immediate starters seems like it can be depleted by the end of round 2 at OT.  That said, there are OTs that will be drafted to play OG (like the Browns once did with Joel Bitonio in round 2) - we can probably find some of these guys after round 2.  It's not always the arm length that separates the guards from the tackles - it often the footwork, base and agility that determine how ell they can play with space to their outside.  If that's really good, nobody is gonna worry if a guy's arm length is only 33 or 34 inches.  If it's not good - they'll kick him inside or put him at RT if they think he can handle it.  

    Never been to the Sizzler but here goes (it is buffet style I believe).  I imagine you go there for the steak but if you are hungry for a little bit of everything….why order a second steak when you need a potato, salad, bread, green beans, dessert, etc.  

    there is some strong love in here about going 7/8 deep with great talent on the Dline - I understand it is important but when you take inventory of the secondary it is an area that we probably need a Day 2 pick.  I mentioned the concerns above but let’s not forget the good problem brewing we have Delpit who is a playing well but will be free agent after next season. He will be paid well here or somewhere else. 

    And Speaking strictly on the Top 3 pick …are we thinking about Lomu, Fano, The Miami Tackle, or Tate WR?  The consensus (right now on those players)…probably first round not Top 5.  I love Tate but even I have a hard time pulling that trigger at say 2 or 3. 
     

    I’ve said this before…2020 draft we drafted for need at 10 and took the third best tackle - if he worked out we would just be in the position of replacing one tackle. 

  • @flugel said:

    It's safe to say we're showing up the the "all you can eat" buffet with an empty stomach.  There's going to be a lot of eye candy and desserts tempting us to boycott biggest needs or healthier choices. You have a great idea above you presented well.  I know I'm speaking to the choir here; but when we had Joe Thomas here at 27 or 28 years old - did we ever waste time considering top LT prospects?  No; we always seem to have plenty of different needs where at least 1 can match or come very close to the BPA for the draft slot or the next one. 

    Teams that do their homework know how many OTackles are worthy of 1st or 2nd round draft slots.  From what I've read and heard, this year's stock of potential/obvious immediate starters seems like it can be depleted by the end of round 2 at OT.  That said, there are OTs that will be drafted to play OG (like the Browns once did with Joel Bitonio in round 2) - we can probably find some of these guys after round 2.  It's not always the arm length that separates the guards from the tackles - it often the footwork, base and agility that determine how ell they can play with space to their outside.  If that's really good, nobody is gonna worry if a guy's arm length is only 33 or 34 inches.  If it's not good - they'll kick him inside or put him at RT if they think he can handle it.  

    Never been to the Sizzler but here goes (it is buffet style I believe).  I imagine you go there for the steak but if you are hungry for a little bit of everything….why order a second steak when you need a potato, salad, bread, green beans, dessert, etc.  

    there is some strong love in here about going 7/8 deep with great talent on the Dline - I understand it is important but when you take inventory of the secondary it is an area that we probably need a Day 2 pick.  I mentioned the concerns above but let’s not forget the good problem brewing we have Delpit who is a playing well but will be free agent after next season. He will be paid well here or somewhere else. 

    And Speaking strictly on the Top 3 pick …are we thinking about Lomu, Fano, The Miami Tackle, or Tate WR?  The consensus (right now on those players)…probably first round not Top 5.  I love Tate but even I have a hard time pulling that trigger at say 2 or 3. 
     

    I’ve said this before…2020 draft we drafted for need at 10 and took the third best tackle - if he worked out we would just be in the position of replacing one tackle. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Never been to the Sizzler but here goes (it is buffet style I believe).  I imagine you go there for the steak but if you are hungry for a little bit of everything….why order a second steak when you need a potato, salad, bread, green beans, dessert, etc.  

    there is some strong love in here about going 7/8 deep with great talent on the Dline - I understand it is important but when you take inventory of the secondary it is an area that we probably need a Day 2 pick.  I mentioned the concerns above but let’s not forget the good problem brewing we have Delpit who is a playing well but will be free agent after next season. He will be paid well here or somewhere else. 

    And Speaking strictly on the Top 3 pick …are we thinking about Lomu, Fano, The Miami Tackle, or Tate WR?  The consensus (right now on those players)…probably first round not Top 5.  I love Tate but even I have a hard time pulling that trigger at say 2 or 3. 
     

    I’ve said this before…2020 draft we drafted for need at 10 and took the third best tackle - if he worked out we would just be in the position of replacing one tackle. 

    Don't worry, I got it covered.  Ready?  We'll beat Cincinnati by accident pretending the rivalry means something this year. That'll kick us back a couple spots further where any of those will make a little more sense.  There's not many true LTs in this draft so do we slightly reach for one?  Or, take one that won't be a BPA later in a weak Tackle draft in terms of volume.  And you this that LT isn't a position where teams just get rid of good veteran.  Lucas & Robinson have been totally worthless. This draft is going to offer a very short window within it's supply for the demand - it's a necessary evil that previous neglect forces our hand to do imo.  

  • If the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I’d probably want them to take Mendoza. 
     

    If they end up with the second overall pick, I’d hope someone really wants Dante Moore if he declares. He’s too young and too inexperienced for me to get behind. 
     

    Beyond that, for what the Browns need, anywhere in the top 10 would probably work. There’s like 5 or so OLinemen/WR I’d consider. 

  • @flugel said:

    It's safe to say we're showing up the the "all you can eat" buffet with an empty stomach.  There's going to be a lot of eye candy and desserts tempting us to boycott biggest needs or healthier choices. You have a great idea above you presented well.  I know I'm speaking to the choir here; but when we had Joe Thomas here at 27 or 28 years old - did we ever waste time considering top LT prospects?  No; we always seem to have plenty of different needs where at least 1 can match or come very close to the BPA for the draft slot or the next one. 

    Teams that do their homework know how many OTackles are worthy of 1st or 2nd round draft slots.  From what I've read and heard, this year's stock of potential/obvious immediate starters seems like it can be depleted by the end of round 2 at OT.  That said, there are OTs that will be drafted to play OG (like the Browns once did with Joel Bitonio in round 2) - we can probably find some of these guys after round 2.  It's not always the arm length that separates the guards from the tackles - it often the footwork, base and agility that determine how ell they can play with space to their outside.  If that's really good, nobody is gonna worry if a guy's arm length is only 33 or 34 inches.  If it's not good - they'll kick him inside or put him at RT if they think he can handle it.  

    Never been to the Sizzler but here goes (it is buffet style I believe).  I imagine you go there for the steak but if you are hungry for a little bit of everything….why order a second steak when you need a potato, salad, bread, green beans, dessert, etc.  

    there is some strong love in here about going 7/8 deep with great talent on the Dline - I understand it is important but when you take inventory of the secondary it is an area that we probably need a Day 2 pick.  I mentioned the concerns above but let’s not forget the good problem brewing we have Delpit who is a playing well but will be free agent after next season. He will be paid well here or somewhere else. 

    And Speaking strictly on the Top 3 pick …are we thinking about Lomu, Fano, The Miami Tackle, or Tate WR?  The consensus (right now on those players)…probably first round not Top 5.  I love Tate but even I have a hard time pulling that trigger at say 2 or 3. 
     

    I’ve said this before…2020 draft we drafted for need at 10 and took the third best tackle - if he worked out we would just be in the position of replacing one tackle. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Never been to the Sizzler but here goes (it is buffet style I believe).  I imagine you go there for the steak but if you are hungry for a little bit of everything….why order a second steak when you need a potato, salad, bread, green beans, dessert, etc.  

    there is some strong love in here about going 7/8 deep with great talent on the Dline - I understand it is important but when you take inventory of the secondary it is an area that we probably need a Day 2 pick.  I mentioned the concerns above but let’s not forget the good problem brewing we have Delpit who is a playing well but will be free agent after next season. He will be paid well here or somewhere else. 

    And Speaking strictly on the Top 3 pick …are we thinking about Lomu, Fano, The Miami Tackle, or Tate WR?  The consensus (right now on those players)…probably first round not Top 5.  I love Tate but even I have a hard time pulling that trigger at say 2 or 3. 
     

    I’ve said this before…2020 draft we drafted for need at 10 and took the third best tackle - if he worked out we would just be in the position of replacing one tackle. 

    I more thing, Joe Thomas did work out at #3 overall while trading up for Brady Quinn for our 2nd pick in round 1 that year did not.  Remember hearing he was the most pro ready QB for the draft because Charlie Weiss was his HC at ND?   He ended up being Tim Tebow's baseball cap caddy on the sidelines in Denver.  ?  It's the Cleveland Browns. 

  • If the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I’d probably want them to take Mendoza. 
     

    If they end up with the second overall pick, I’d hope someone really wants Dante Moore if he declares. He’s too young and too inexperienced for me to get behind. 
     

    Beyond that, for what the Browns need, anywhere in the top 10 would probably work. There’s like 5 or so OLinemen/WR I’d consider. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    If the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I’d probably want them to take Mendoza. 
     

    If they end up with the second overall pick, I’d hope someone really wants Dante Moore if he declares. He’s too young and too inexperienced for me to get behind. 
     

    Beyond that, for what the Browns need, anywhere in the top 10 would probably work. There’s like 5 or so OLinemen/WR I’d consider. 

    No argument here.  I'll take me LB Jacob Rodriguez in round 4 to be the perfect complement to Schwesinger. One thing we lack is someone that dislodges the football.  Can't wait to see Texas Tech play all of a sudden...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    If the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I’d probably want them to take Mendoza. 
     

    If they end up with the second overall pick, I’d hope someone really wants Dante Moore if he declares. He’s too young and too inexperienced for me to get behind. 
     

    Beyond that, for what the Browns need, anywhere in the top 10 would probably work. There’s like 5 or so OLinemen/WR I’d consider. 

    No argument here.  I'll take me LB Jacob Rodriguez in round 4 to be the perfect complement to Schwesinger. One thing we lack is someone that dislodges the football.  Can't wait to see Texas Tech play all of a sudden...

    @flugel said:

    No argument here.  I'll take me LB Jacob Rodriguez in round 4 to be the perfect complement to Schwesinger. One thing we lack is someone that dislodges the football.  Can't wait to see Texas Tech play all of a sudden...

    I took this guy

    84.CAR

    Deontae LawsonLB Alabam
  • sydS syd

    @flugel said:

    No argument here.  I'll take me LB Jacob Rodriguez in round 4 to be the perfect complement to Schwesinger. One thing we lack is someone that dislodges the football.  Can't wait to see Texas Tech play all of a sudden...

    I took this guy

    84.CAR

    Deontae LawsonLB Alabam

    @syd said:

    I took this guy

    84.CAR

    Deontae LawsonLB Alabam

    Nice. You gonna watch him tonight Syd?

  • @syd said:

    I took this guy

    84.CAR

    Deontae LawsonLB Alabam

    Nice. You gonna watch him tonight Syd?

    @flugel said:

    Nice. You gonna watch him tonight Syd?

    oh hell yes  i am , did you watch any of the western michigan game today ?

  • sydS syd

    @flugel said:

    Nice. You gonna watch him tonight Syd?

    oh hell yes  i am , did you watch any of the western michigan game today ?

    @syd said:

    oh hell yes  i am , did you watch any of the western michigan game today ?

    Good!  I did watch some!  Their QB is a freakin stud.  That's a REAL good football team.  

  • @syd said:

    oh hell yes  i am , did you watch any of the western michigan game today ?

    Good!  I did watch some!  Their QB is a freakin stud.  That's a REAL good football team.  

    @flugel said:

    Good!  I did watch some!  Their QB is a freakin stud.  That's a REAL good football team.  

    I would like to see who is coming out this year from their Defense