Skip to content

What will the new Head Coach do?

The Browns Board
60 14 989 1
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Jimmy had said, 'It can't be another 4 win season.'   I believe that Jimmy thinks that he has to fire the 2 time HC of the Year.  

    So, what will the new HC do?  Well, ordinarily, he'd draft his new QB.  Because most HC's get fired because of lousy win / loss records...which is usually because they don't have a good QB.  When I did the draft simulation in Dutch's thread I drafted Mendoza and then OL & WR for  him.  I suspect something like that would happen.  However, our situation could be a bit different if Schwartz were to be named HC.  He's been around Shedeur.  Maybe??  He likes him.  (or maybe he doesn't)   And then, what about Berry?  Does he get to stay if it's only Steff (and his assistant HC, Bubba)  that gets fired?  Does Schwartz & Berry get shotgun hitched?  (same scenario if it were Reese named HC)

    So, it depends on who the next HC is, to some degree.  Of course, if it's Shedeur's Dad, then we'll be drafting OLinemen & WR's.  🙂   Anybody else will be looking at the best QB's in the draft and comparing them to Sanders, Watson & Gabriel.  Yes, Watson could come back into the conversations.

  • M MDDawg wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I'll wait till Black Monday before speculating.

  • Jimmy had said, 'It can't be another 4 win season.'   I believe that Jimmy thinks that he has to fire the 2 time HC of the Year.  

    So, what will the new HC do?  Well, ordinarily, he'd draft his new QB.  Because most HC's get fired because of lousy win / loss records...which is usually because they don't have a good QB.  When I did the draft simulation in Dutch's thread I drafted Mendoza and then OL & WR for  him.  I suspect something like that would happen.  However, our situation could be a bit different if Schwartz were to be named HC.  He's been around Shedeur.  Maybe??  He likes him.  (or maybe he doesn't)   And then, what about Berry?  Does he get to stay if it's only Steff (and his assistant HC, Bubba)  that gets fired?  Does Schwartz & Berry get shotgun hitched?  (same scenario if it were Reese named HC)

    So, it depends on who the next HC is, to some degree.  Of course, if it's Shedeur's Dad, then we'll be drafting OLinemen & WR's.  🙂   Anybody else will be looking at the best QB's in the draft and comparing them to Sanders, Watson & Gabriel.  Yes, Watson could come back into the conversations.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #3

    @orion said:

    Jimmy had said, 'It can't be another 4 win season.'   I believe that Jimmy thinks that he has to fire the 2 time HC of the Year.  

    So, what will the new HC do?  Well, ordinarily, he'd draft his new QB.  Because most HC's get fired because of lousy win / loss records...which is usually because they don't have a good QB.  When I did the draft simulation in Dutch's thread I drafted Mendoza and then OL & WR for  him.  I suspect something like that would happen.  However, our situation could be a bit different if Schwartz were to be named HC.  He's been around Shedeur.  Maybe??  He likes him.  (or maybe he doesn't)   And then, what about Berry?  Does he get to stay if it's only Steff (and his assistant HC, Bubba)  that gets fired?  Does Schwartz & Berry get shotgun hitched?  (same scenario if it were Reese named HC)

    So, it depends on who the next HC is, to some degree.  Of course, if it's Shedeur's Dad, then we'll be drafting OLinemen & WR's.  🙂   Anybody else will be looking at the best QB's in the draft and comparing them to Sanders, Watson & Gabriel.  Yes, Watson could come back into the conversations.

    ? First off, the Browns are coming off a 3-14 season and heading dangerously close to another one.  I guess it's okay that Jimmy (our owner) almost knows that.  If this team doesn't draft talented young OTs - it's gonna keep winning only 3 or 4 games a year.  You can't evaluate QBs properly without legit pass pro on the edges. - especially with this WR Corps.   This team doesn't have a legit #1 WR that can get open immediately or burn people deep very often, if ever, beside the rookie - Bond.  It feels like Bond can be this guy with more experience; but everyone else looks like a waste of time so we can stick with Jeudy and draft a WR with one of our 1st 3 picks.  IMO, there will be WR studs available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Since they didn't bother to evaluate QBs the right way this year - we should keep Sanders and give him the chance he deserves next year.  

  • @orion said:

    Jimmy had said, 'It can't be another 4 win season.'   I believe that Jimmy thinks that he has to fire the 2 time HC of the Year.  

    So, what will the new HC do?  Well, ordinarily, he'd draft his new QB.  Because most HC's get fired because of lousy win / loss records...which is usually because they don't have a good QB.  When I did the draft simulation in Dutch's thread I drafted Mendoza and then OL & WR for  him.  I suspect something like that would happen.  However, our situation could be a bit different if Schwartz were to be named HC.  He's been around Shedeur.  Maybe??  He likes him.  (or maybe he doesn't)   And then, what about Berry?  Does he get to stay if it's only Steff (and his assistant HC, Bubba)  that gets fired?  Does Schwartz & Berry get shotgun hitched?  (same scenario if it were Reese named HC)

    So, it depends on who the next HC is, to some degree.  Of course, if it's Shedeur's Dad, then we'll be drafting OLinemen & WR's.  🙂   Anybody else will be looking at the best QB's in the draft and comparing them to Sanders, Watson & Gabriel.  Yes, Watson could come back into the conversations.

    ? First off, the Browns are coming off a 3-14 season and heading dangerously close to another one.  I guess it's okay that Jimmy (our owner) almost knows that.  If this team doesn't draft talented young OTs - it's gonna keep winning only 3 or 4 games a year.  You can't evaluate QBs properly without legit pass pro on the edges. - especially with this WR Corps.   This team doesn't have a legit #1 WR that can get open immediately or burn people deep very often, if ever, beside the rookie - Bond.  It feels like Bond can be this guy with more experience; but everyone else looks like a waste of time so we can stick with Jeudy and draft a WR with one of our 1st 3 picks.  IMO, there will be WR studs available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Since they didn't bother to evaluate QBs the right way this year - we should keep Sanders and give him the chance he deserves next year.  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @flugel said:

    ? First off, the Browns are coming off a 3-14 season and heading dangerously close to another one.  I guess it's okay that Jimmy (our owner) almost knows that.  If this team doesn't draft talented young OTs - it's gonna keep winning only 3 or 4 games a year.  You can't evaluate QBs properly without legit pass pro on the edges. - especially with this WR Corps.   This team doesn't have a legit #1 WR that can get open immediately or burn people deep very often, if ever, beside the rookie - Bond.  It feels like Bond can be this guy with more experience; but everyone else looks like a waste of time so we can stick with Jeudy and draft a WR with one of our 1st 3 picks.  IMO, there will be WR studs available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Since they didn't bother to evaluate QBs the right way this year - we should keep Sanders and give him the chance he deserves next year.  

    Which is exactly why in my mock draft I stick to tons of OLs and WRs and ignore QBs. Only exceptions are those occasional "gifts" still on the table like OSU's DT Kayden McDonald at #42 in my last shot at it. We needed one of those too IMO.

  • @flugel said:

    ? First off, the Browns are coming off a 3-14 season and heading dangerously close to another one.  I guess it's okay that Jimmy (our owner) almost knows that.  If this team doesn't draft talented young OTs - it's gonna keep winning only 3 or 4 games a year.  You can't evaluate QBs properly without legit pass pro on the edges. - especially with this WR Corps.   This team doesn't have a legit #1 WR that can get open immediately or burn people deep very often, if ever, beside the rookie - Bond.  It feels like Bond can be this guy with more experience; but everyone else looks like a waste of time so we can stick with Jeudy and draft a WR with one of our 1st 3 picks.  IMO, there will be WR studs available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Since they didn't bother to evaluate QBs the right way this year - we should keep Sanders and give him the chance he deserves next year.  

    Which is exactly why in my mock draft I stick to tons of OLs and WRs and ignore QBs. Only exceptions are those occasional "gifts" still on the table like OSU's DT Kayden McDonald at #42 in my last shot at it. We needed one of those too IMO.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @texasag1969 said:

    Which is exactly why in my mock draft I stick to tons of OLs and WRs and ignore QBs. Only exceptions are those occasional "gifts" still on the table like OSU's DT Kayden McDonald at #42 in my last shot at it. We needed one of those too IMO.

    I like your thinking - I do that too.  I wish they would specify with some guys whether they were LT or RT this year; but that gets me to research and look at some videos of them.  I got a feeling that a lot of guys listed as Tackles are going to be playing Guard at the next level.  One guy that Cal mentioned in the "Currently our 2025 first round pick is..." thread - Miami Hurricane OT Francis Mauigoa is a big feller blessed with power that moves extremely well. Also a great athlete. The only nit-pick I've seen on the guy is that his arm length may have NFL teams looking at him as an OG.  A guy with the versatility to play OG or OT with the talent to go in the 1st round is a good thing IMO.  It'll be fun to see how Mauigoa matches up against Texas A&M. My favorite Tackles are "the 2 Utes" LT Caleb Lomu & Outland Trophy Winner RT Spencer Fano.  It's possible that Mauigoa gets drafted before either of them; but it's also possible that Lomu returns to Utah for 1 more season.  We'll find out soon.  

  • @flugel said:

    ? First off, the Browns are coming off a 3-14 season and heading dangerously close to another one.  I guess it's okay that Jimmy (our owner) almost knows that.  If this team doesn't draft talented young OTs - it's gonna keep winning only 3 or 4 games a year.  You can't evaluate QBs properly without legit pass pro on the edges. - especially with this WR Corps.   This team doesn't have a legit #1 WR that can get open immediately or burn people deep very often, if ever, beside the rookie - Bond.  It feels like Bond can be this guy with more experience; but everyone else looks like a waste of time so we can stick with Jeudy and draft a WR with one of our 1st 3 picks.  IMO, there will be WR studs available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Since they didn't bother to evaluate QBs the right way this year - we should keep Sanders and give him the chance he deserves next year.  

    Which is exactly why in my mock draft I stick to tons of OLs and WRs and ignore QBs. Only exceptions are those occasional "gifts" still on the table like OSU's DT Kayden McDonald at #42 in my last shot at it. We needed one of those too IMO.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @texasag1969 said:

    in my mock draft I stick to tons of OLs and WRs and ignore QBs.

    But is the new HC going to ignore the QB's in the draft? 

    It's not impossible that he might like Watson, or Sanders.   I find it hard to believe that he'd have much use for Stef's QB, Gabriel.  But something tells me that a new HC would want to put the whole QB thing/mess behind him just as soon as possible.  I bet he'd lobby hard to trade into position to get one of the top two QB's.  I think in FA he'd have them find a serviceable OLineman and WR to kick start the process of building those two groups.  And then double down on those two groups at the draft.  After selecting the new QB of course.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    in my mock draft I stick to tons of OLs and WRs and ignore QBs.

    But is the new HC going to ignore the QB's in the draft? 

    It's not impossible that he might like Watson, or Sanders.   I find it hard to believe that he'd have much use for Stef's QB, Gabriel.  But something tells me that a new HC would want to put the whole QB thing/mess behind him just as soon as possible.  I bet he'd lobby hard to trade into position to get one of the top two QB's.  I think in FA he'd have them find a serviceable OLineman and WR to kick start the process of building those two groups.  And then double down on those two groups at the draft.  After selecting the new QB of course.  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @orion said:

    But is the new HC going to ignore the QB's in the draft? 

    It's not impossible that he might like Watson, or Sanders.  

    I happen to believe so.

  • @orion said:

    But is the new HC going to ignore the QB's in the draft? 

    It's not impossible that he might like Watson, or Sanders.  

    I happen to believe so.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #8

    @texasag1969 said:

    I happen to believe so.

    Totally agree!  The Browns had the 2nd overall pick in 2025; and with that supply and demand of QBs - which one of the QBs drafted in round 1 looks like the right guy?  Sanders outplayed the 1st overall pick 2 weeks ago.  The difference in that game?   Running game/OL 

    IMO, there isn't a QB in this draft after Mendoza at #1 overall that's equipped to game change Cleveland from the on-going dumpster fire. However, good luck surviving a pass protection without Offensive Tackles. The Raiders clearly need Mendoza while the Jets have the most trade bait for the Raiders' mess: 2 First round picks & 1 Second round pick in 2026 + 3 First round pick & 1 second round pick in 2027. Our offense is already tough to watch with the current OL and there's needs emerging on the Defense like CB, S, DT (despite a 5th overall in 2025 and a 2nd round pick in 2024), LB aside from needing at least 2 Tackles, 1-2 Guards, 1-2 WRs.  Depleting all these needs as well as the best chance to protect the major investment for the top QB who won't be prepared for the culture shock of Jimmy's business makes us as bad as the Raiders.  Last time I saw a leader with this kind of protection it was Saddam Hussein with two 67 year old security guards taking on American troops.  

    A lot of top QB prospects with remaining eligibility are looking at how the teams at the top of the NFL draft are equipped to protect them as well as what kind of talent they'll have on board to throw to.  USC's QB Jayden Maiava just re-signed his contract with USC to return for his senior year.  I'm hearing a very well advised Arch Manning will stay in college as well.  Let's face it - there's some $ now in college football that can compete with the NFL Rookie Salary Cap especially for NFL franchises that have been horrific at developing young QBs.  Baker probably learned most of his good habits with the Rams & Bucs with good/great offensive coaches, talented WR Corps and cohesive/reliable OLs.  They definitely restored/strengthened the confidence he lost in Cleveland & Carolina.  The volume of turnover here in his 1st 3 years was a joke. This is definitely a case of in order to know where you are going - you need to understand where you have been. Are we firing just a HC or a HC and GM this time?  I can hardly wait to hear we just need to be patient 1 more time...

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I believe the new Browns HC will draft a qb. 

    Sanders has talent, but he seems a few? years away from

    getting away from the ingrained faults he has, if he ever does. 

    It won't be the first or second round. 

    A name like.... Mark Gronkowski. qb.

    Has the arm, love for the game, mobility, dual threat,

    accuracy, decision making....

    like a poor man's Josh Allen, says I.

    Without all the baggage that Sanders has....

    I wonder how high he will go. My bet - higher than 

    Sanders did. 4th round? Late third? Any guesses?

      

  • I believe the new Browns HC will draft a qb. 

    Sanders has talent, but he seems a few? years away from

    getting away from the ingrained faults he has, if he ever does. 

    It won't be the first or second round. 

    A name like.... Mark Gronkowski. qb.

    Has the arm, love for the game, mobility, dual threat,

    accuracy, decision making....

    like a poor man's Josh Allen, says I.

    Without all the baggage that Sanders has....

    I wonder how high he will go. My bet - higher than 

    Sanders did. 4th round? Late third? Any guesses?

      

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @calfoxwc said:

    I wonder how high he will go. My bet - higher than 

    Sanders did. 

    How much are we betting?

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I wonder how high he will go. My bet - higher than 

    Sanders did. 

    How much are we betting?

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @tiamat63 said:

    How much are we betting?

    a quart of dandelion or pine needle tea, your choice.

  • I believe the new Browns HC will draft a qb. 

    Sanders has talent, but he seems a few? years away from

    getting away from the ingrained faults he has, if he ever does. 

    It won't be the first or second round. 

    A name like.... Mark Gronkowski. qb.

    Has the arm, love for the game, mobility, dual threat,

    accuracy, decision making....

    like a poor man's Josh Allen, says I.

    Without all the baggage that Sanders has....

    I wonder how high he will go. My bet - higher than 

    Sanders did. 4th round? Late third? Any guesses?

      

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #12

    @calfoxwc said:

    I believe the new Browns HC will draft a qb. 

    Sanders has talent, but he seems a few? years away from

    getting away from the ingrained faults he has, if he ever does. 

    It won't be the first or second round. 

    A name like.... Mark Gronkowski. qb.

    Has the arm, love for the game, mobility, dual threat,

    accuracy, decision making....

    like a poor man's Josh Allen, says I.

    Without all the baggage that Sanders has....

    I wonder how high he will go. My bet - higher than 

    Sanders did. 4th round? Late third? Any guesses?

      

    A guy who will turn 25 during his rookie season who threw for all of 1500 or so yards, 8 touchdowns and 6 interceptions at Iowa in what would be like his sixth year of college isn’t a poor man’s Josh Allen. 
     

    Yes, he played in BFE South Dakota during his college career, and he’s white, but that’s about it. Not sure how cal comes up with his patented “this player has a love for the game” but I’d be honestly surprised he gets drafted. We’ll see.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    How much are we betting?

    a quart of dandelion or pine needle tea, your choice.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @calfoxwc said:

    a quart of dandelion or pine needle tea, your choice.

    I would opt for the pine needle tea. Dandelions are out of season. Pine needles never go out of season.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    a quart of dandelion or pine needle tea, your choice.

    I would opt for the pine needle tea. Dandelions are out of season. Pine needles never go out of season.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I would opt for the pine needle tea. Dandelions are out of season. Pine needles never go out of season.

    I’d hope to lose the bet, honestly.

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I would opt for the pine needle tea. Dandelions are out of season. Pine needles never go out of season.

    I’d hope to lose the bet, honestly.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @dutch-oven said:

    I’d hope to lose the bet, honestly.

    Yeah but then you’d have to deal with figuring out how to make pine needle tea. Fuck all that. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    How much are we betting?

    a quart of dandelion or pine needle tea, your choice.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @calfoxwc said:

    a quart of dandelion or pine needle tea, your choice.

    How about the finest pack of root beer money can buy. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    a quart of dandelion or pine needle tea, your choice.

    How about the finest pack of root beer money can buy. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @tiamat63 said:

    How about the finest pack of root beer money can buy. 

    A&W  ??

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I’d hope to lose the bet, honestly.

    Yeah but then you’d have to deal with figuring out how to make pine needle tea. Fuck all that. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Yeah but then you’d have to deal with figuring out how to make pine needle tea. Fuck all that. 

    Making Pine needle tea is easy..

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Yeah but then you’d have to deal with figuring out how to make pine needle tea. Fuck all that. 

    Making Pine needle tea is easy..

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @nickers said:

    Making Pine needle tea is easy..

    It probably is. It’s just steeping dried pine needles in hot water yeah? Not everyone has pine trees on their property though. I can already tell by Tiamat’s counteroffer that he doesn’t want to deal with making pine needle tea, haha. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    How about the finest pack of root beer money can buy. 

    A&W  ??

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @orion said:

    A&W  ??

    Oh hell no, there’s way better root beer out there than A&W. 

    Anyone tried Sprechers? Out of Milwaukee.