Skip to content

Stefanski Gone

The Browns Board
151 35 2.8k 1
  • What a half assed decision. So we fire Stefanski, who has made every QB he's ever had look worse, but we keep Berry because he's had one good draft out of 6? A guy who has demonstrated 6 times he can't eval QB, WR, or OL. And we expect him to get it right now? Fuck you, Haslam. 

  • There have been trades for head coaches, maybe not very often. But who would trade for steflunkski?

       He had to go. I can see Schwartz being the Browns HC for years if he gets promoted. Rees has quite a football history behind him = 

    a qb for Notre Dame, etc etc. I believe he could be kept as OC. 

    The Browns can draft another rookie qb in the 3rd/4rd round that would have a far better rookie year with the same teammates, I think.

    Why? His first year is over, and he still has the same limitations as he did in college. I believe he is more a backup qb in the NFL.

    Because:

    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/shedeur-sanders/32005341-4e47-8221-56fd-8e3864421298

    Weaknesses

    • Spacing and clearly defined route combinations make decision-making easier.
    • Drops beyond proper pocket depth and into edge rusher’s path.
    • Throws with a longer operation time.
    • Has completions on tape that will be interceptions in the pros.
    • Inconsistent bringing his lower half through his delivery.
    • Needs to become OK with taking profits and moving on.
    • Appears too confident in his off-platform game despite a lack of zip.
    • Doesn’t offer up much escapability quickness from the pocket.
    • Much too willing to take a big sack instead of throwing it away.

    @calfoxwc said:

    There have been trades for head coaches, maybe not very often. But who would trade for steflunkski?

       He had to go. I can see Schwartz being the Browns HC for years if he gets promoted. Rees has quite a football history behind him = 

    a qb for Notre Dame, etc etc. I believe he could be kept as OC. 

    The Browns can draft another rookie qb in the 3rd/4rd round that would have a far better rookie year with the same teammates, I think.

    Why? His first year is over, and he still has the same limitations as he did in college. I believe he is more a backup qb in the NFL.

    Because:

    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/shedeur-sanders/32005341-4e47-8221-56fd-8e3864421298

    Weaknesses

    • Spacing and clearly defined route combinations make decision-making easier.
    • Drops beyond proper pocket depth and into edge rusher’s path.
    • Throws with a longer operation time.
    • Has completions on tape that will be interceptions in the pros.
    • Inconsistent bringing his lower half through his delivery.
    • Needs to become OK with taking profits and moving on.
    • Appears too confident in his off-platform game despite a lack of zip.
    • Doesn’t offer up much escapability quickness from the pocket.
    • Much too willing to take a big sack instead of throwing it away.

    Believe it or not, I'm not trying to bust your balls because you've had some good posts lately. Keep that up - I'm starting to remember the 1st Cal I encountered in here.

    This one however looks like you paraphrased some young guy almost reaching puberty doing a bleacher report.  Shedeur NEEDS experience behind a line with 2 legit OTs as well as a better #1 WR than the same Jerry Jeudy that Denver HC Sean Payton couldn't wait to part with.  There's been insufficient help from the WR Corps this year even before Sanders played.  Isaiah Bond looks like he can help once he gets some coaching on his route running.  Love Bond's speed and with the right guidance from coaches and accuracy from the QB - he can become a great WR. Young QBs tend to repeat bad habits that you mentioned but he has stepped up in the pocket more in recent weeks than he did early on.  

    It's hard to evaluate any of our QBs with the surrounding talent this year - that's why Flacco's numbers looked better the instant he played for the Kittens.

  • @orion said:

    There are those that think the play calling improved under Rees.  I didn't notice much of a difference.  They both tried their trickery and jet sweeps.  Perhaps Rees used those plays a little more.  And of course, he was limited as to how much of the playbook was his plays.  But it's certainly a possibility that Schwartz gets the HC job and that he liked what Rees was doing and keeps him as OC.  I don't know what the odds would be, but it's not zero.

    I hope Berry is better at picking HC's as he is at picking OLinemen.  

    Not having 1 decent OTackle limits the ability to play gridiron chess against teams with MUCH BETTER talent from FOs far better than Berry.  You're in check all game until the final score confirms check mate.  Asking an OC to try to be David Copperfield for 3 hours every Sunday is why this team averaged 4 wins these last two 17 game seasons.

    Berry has sucked at understanding how to build a team.  Remember a few years ago when he decided DTs weren't that important while he wanted lighter/faster LBers to cover the pass better?  Consequently, opponents running at our DTs/IDL became such a gimme they didn't even bother to waste any time trying to throw at the Browns Defense.  Why would they decline the forfeit upfront?  In the process, it felt like we lost all the projected starting LBers to IR.  That's how well that incompetent plan turned out.  It's hard to believe Berry worked under Howie Roseman in Philly; because that guy set up their OL and DL extremely well.  He always drafts OL and DL. He drafted RT Lane Johnson in rd 1 2013; LT Jordan Mailata in rd 7 2018; LG Landon Dickerson rd 2 2021; C Cam Jurgens rd 2 2022; RG Tyler Steen rd 3 2023, etc.  Those are just the starters he drafted so we see he never NEGLECTS OL.  On the DL he drafted Jordan Davis rd 1 2022; DT Jalen Carter rd 1a 2023; DE Moro Ojomo rd 7 2023; OLB Nolan Smith Jr rd 1b 2023 and these are just the starters he drafted upfront.

    I would have fired Andrew Berry 1st.

    @flugel said:

    Not having 1 decent OTackle limits the ability to play gridiron chess against teams with MUCH BETTER talent from FOs far better than Berry.  You're in check all game until the final score confirms check mate.  Asking an OC to try to be David Copperfield for 3 hours every Sunday is why this team averaged 4 wins these last two 17 game seasons.

    Berry has sucked at understanding how to build a team.  Remember a few years ago when he decided DTs weren't that important while he wanted lighter/faster LBers to cover the pass better?  Consequently, opponents running at our DTs/IDL became such a gimme they didn't even bother to waste any time trying to throw at the Browns Defense.  Why would they decline the forfeit upfront?  In the process, it felt like we lost all the projected starting LBers to IR.  That's how well that incompetent plan turned out.  It's hard to believe Berry worked under Howie Roseman in Philly; because that guy set up their OL and DL extremely well.  He always drafts OL and DL. He drafted RT Lane Johnson in rd 1 2013; LT Jordan Mailata in rd 7 2018; LG Landon Dickerson rd 2 2021; C Cam Jurgens rd 2 2022; RG Tyler Steen rd 3 2023, etc.  Those are just the starters he drafted so we see he never NEGLECTS OL.  On the DL he drafted Jordan Davis rd 1 2022; DT Jalen Carter rd 1a 2023; DE Moro Ojomo rd 7 2023; OLB Nolan Smith Jr rd 1b 2023 and these are just the starters he drafted upfront.

    I would have fired Andrew Berry 1st.

    I remember when they were high on players based on certain metrics/awards versus actual tape and scheme etc. We drafted a bunch of players who were never great, some were good, a lot weren't. I hope that the thinking based on the last draft has changed. I also agree that they need to draft OL. Now, they have in the past drafted OL, they all never really panned out. Two areas we haven't drafted well are OL and WR. Both of those position groups are very bad right now. I remember when we had Dorsey, that dude wasn't perfect, but he knows NFL talent.

  • It’s an ideal situation for any coaching candidate. 

    We have a GM, elite defense, lots of youthful talent/draft capital, and Sanders-Watson in a competition next training camp(?)

    Stefanski will do fine wherever he goes next. Berry saved himself with the 2025 draft.

  • Where is John Gruden ?

  • Where is John Gruden ?

    @7moses7 said:

    Where is John Gruden ?

    He's got a great offensive mind.  

    Joe Thomas has been Coaching Football over seas.  I wonder if he's ready to be an ideal OL Coach here for whoever the Browns hire at HC.  He's certainly have some great input on what OTackle prospects can help this team.  That - or we can go back to Bill Callahan.  

  • @7moses7 said:

    Where is John Gruden ?

    He's got a great offensive mind.  

    Joe Thomas has been Coaching Football over seas.  I wonder if he's ready to be an ideal OL Coach here for whoever the Browns hire at HC.  He's certainly have some great input on what OTackle prospects can help this team.  That - or we can go back to Bill Callahan.  

    @flugel said:

    Joe Thomas has been Coaching Football over seas

    LOL I just thought he was just on a extended vacation  with some football involved (Germany ?)

  • Stefanski already interviewing with Falcons, Giants, Titans. 

  • sydS syd

    @flugel said:

    Joe Thomas has been Coaching Football over seas

    LOL I just thought he was just on a extended vacation  with some football involved (Germany ?)

    @syd said:

    LOL I just thought he was just on a extended vacation  with some football involved (Germany ?)

    You're gonna make me research and I can't give you the DAWG ate my homework?  

    For 2 frosted mugs full of Stella Artois:

    image.png.908a0978249c83fd851115eacbaf3a81.png

  • @syd said:

    LOL I just thought he was just on a extended vacation  with some football involved (Germany ?)

    You're gonna make me research and I can't give you the DAWG ate my homework?  

    For 2 frosted mugs full of Stella Artois:

    image.png.908a0978249c83fd851115eacbaf3a81.png

    @flugel said:

    You're gonna make me research and I can't give you the DAWG ate my homework?  

    For 2 frosted mugs full of Stella Artois:

    image.png.908a0978249c83fd851115eacbaf3a81.png

    IMO Joe is destined for the booth. He is that good at it. 

  • @flugel said:

    You're gonna make me research and I can't give you the DAWG ate my homework?  

    For 2 frosted mugs full of Stella Artois:

    image.png.908a0978249c83fd851115eacbaf3a81.png

    IMO Joe is destined for the booth. He is that good at it. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    IMO Joe is destined for the booth. He is that good at it. 

    That's very true!   That said, it seems like he has a very strong passion to teach and pass on his tricks of the trade.  Either direction he chooses to go - he'll be where he needs to be.  There isn't a wrong choice IMO.

    Okay @syd add 2 more frosted mugs full of beer for IBB.    

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    IMO Joe is destined for the booth. He is that good at it. 

    That's very true!   That said, it seems like he has a very strong passion to teach and pass on his tricks of the trade.  Either direction he chooses to go - he'll be where he needs to be.  There isn't a wrong choice IMO.

    Okay @syd add 2 more frosted mugs full of beer for IBB.    

    @flugel said:

    That's very true!   That said, it seems like he has a very strong passion to teach and pass on his tricks of the trade.  Either direction he chooses to go - he'll be where he needs to be.  There isn't a wrong choice IMO.

    Okay @syd add 2 more frosted mugs full of beer for IBB.    

    you will be  drunk

  • It is what it is.  No real complaints except we kept the weasel.  Berry is a weasel.

    When he backed out of the bye week PC as has been held, he pushed everything over to Kevin and hid like a weasel.

    Hell, he even looks like a weasel with his beady eyes.  In the old days, a farmer would just trap him to protect his chicken coop, then club and skin him.

    So now we get Shedufus and Berry.  What a wonderful team.

  • Stefanski already interviewing with Falcons, Giants, Titans. 

    @browns149 said:

    Stefanski already interviewing with Falcons, Giants, Titans. 

    No surprise.  He was linked to the Giants.

    For what it is worth if AB was fired he wouldn’t have the same interest 

  • @syd said:

    LOL I just thought he was just on a extended vacation  with some football involved (Germany ?)

    You're gonna make me research and I can't give you the DAWG ate my homework?  

    For 2 frosted mugs full of Stella Artois:

    image.png.908a0978249c83fd851115eacbaf3a81.png

    @flugel said:

    You're gonna make me research and I can't give you the DAWG ate my homework?  

    For 2 frosted mugs full of Stella Artois:

    image.png.908a0978249c83fd851115eacbaf3a81.png

    European League of Football?

    ELF?

    I have a logo suggestion they can have.

  • @browns149 said:

    Stefanski already interviewing with Falcons, Giants, Titans. 

    No surprise.  He was linked to the Giants.

    For what it is worth if AB was fired he wouldn’t have the same interest 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    No surprise.  He was linked to the Giants.

    For what it is worth if AB was fired he wouldn’t have the same interest 

    Very true. But we’re stuck with Berry and Jimmy

  • Stefanski already interviewing with Falcons, Giants, Titans. 

    @browns149 said:

    Stefanski already interviewing with Falcons, Giants, Titans. 

    I still think it was a mistake

  • sydS syd

    @browns149 said:

    Stefanski already interviewing with Falcons, Giants, Titans. 

    I still think it was a mistake

    @syd said:

    I still think it was a mistake

    If they hire another no name coordinator guy then, yes, it’s a mistake 

    The problem is keeping Berry and the dumb hierarchy they have. With the front office setup they have, they will never attract a Big Time coach. They are stuck with young, inexperienced yes men.
    No experienced head coach wants to be around the structure that the Browns have. 

  • The last draft surely saved Berry, otherwise he'd be out too. 

    As far as whether or not firing stefanski was the right move who knows, if it was me in charge I would have kept him. Not very excited about any of the candidates that have been tossed around so far.

    Promoting schwartz and keeping rees would be comical, I wouldn't be surprised if schwartz himself gets some external HC interviews this year though.

  • The last draft surely saved Berry, otherwise he'd be out too. 

    As far as whether or not firing stefanski was the right move who knows, if it was me in charge I would have kept him. Not very excited about any of the candidates that have been tossed around so far.

    Promoting schwartz and keeping rees would be comical, I wouldn't be surprised if schwartz himself gets some external HC interviews this year though.

    @bbedward said:

    The last draft surely saved Berry, otherwise he'd be out too. 

    As far as whether or not firing stefanski was the right move who knows, if it was me in charge I would have kept him. Not very excited about any of the candidates that have been tossed around so far.

    Promoting schwartz and keeping rees would be comical, I wouldn't be surprised if schwartz himself gets some external HC interviews this year though.

    Agreed. Aside from Klint Kubiak, not too keen on the HC candidates.