Skip to content

Head Coach Search - Interviews

The Browns Board
377 31 7.3k 1
  • @calfoxwc said:

    Maybe it's just me, but I noticed that the Bills were running so much on first down they were getting stuffed. Steflunkski seems to do the same thing. Establishing the run, play action, sure....but running on first down, especially up the middle, so often.... just seems to backfire so much.

    Bills first 2 runs went for 39 yards. 

    Forced the Broncos to have to attack earlier & more often. As a result, if Cook did pop one, he was facing negative depth of cut. 

    Boom or bust.  But that helped open throwing lanes and -1 back end for Josh. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Bills first 2 runs went for 39 yards. 

    Forced the Broncos to have to attack earlier & more often. As a result, if Cook did pop one, he was facing negative depth of cut. 

    Boom or bust.  But that helped open throwing lanes and -1 back end for Josh. 

    Yes, but later on, the broncos adjusted and started stuffing the first down runs. Cook even lost a yard when I said "don't run on first down again". They knew they had to stop the run before the game. I'm just saying later in the game, running on first down, Denver went all in on shutting it down, and the Bills ran anyway. So, a few times they saw the Bills were going to run on first down, and they went all in on stopping it. 

    https://www.denverpost.com/2026/01/15/broncos-bills-playoff-preview-run-game/

    Broncos’ rush defense faces stiffest challenge yet: ‘We’d better stop the (freaking) run’

    The Bills are again the best rushing team in football and the Broncos are salty after giving up 210 yards in last year’s wild-card loss

  • @mddawg said:

    The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    And fwiw, here's some of the QBs he's coached along the way per cut and paste (the last indicating Saints QBs was when Drew Brees was their starter - you know you're getting old when that feels like a long time ago):

    image.png.6fdda5059bd05f0554db6cb7d5a82029.png

  • so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

  • sydS syd

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    @syd said:

    just hire pettine back

    NO.  That guy was a dope.

    ...I'm getting one of my sick headaches...

  • @mddawg said:

    The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    I know Joe Brady's name was thrown around ALOT in November when Penn St, LSU and Auburn were looking for Head Coaches.

    Maybe he is in Pegula's crosshairs or that too close to McDermott for Pegula?

  • sydS syd

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    @syd said:

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    Without dragging the drama that probably takes place on the political board over here, I agree 100%.

    Frankly, every time I see an unknown assistant who is a minority getting interview #1 for a team who needs a HC, we all know the Rooney Rule is being met.

  • Not only has Jimmy Haslam failed to put the right people in place to select a coach.

    He has now been unable to properly read the tea leaves. Just because one owns an NFL Franchise doesn’t guarantee others want to be the Head Coach.

    On top of that, he has made the grand mistake that many of us feel. Berry is making decisions, but his leash is short as well. That has created uncertainty among the qualified candidates who understand that one year from now the Browns will probably have a new GM and that GM will want his people in place.

    And Jimmy is trying to do all of this to save face, to try and make it look like the team's not doing a complete rebuild, to try to keep the Defense intact and a future HOFer in Cleveland.

    The Google tells me the Browns have two of the eight next key candidates to be GM: Glenn Cooks and Catherine Raiche.

    What does anyone know about them? I know nothing, I don't know if they're legitimate or the AI is giving me those names because I'm a Browns fan.

    I can't imagine that Haslam would give Berry the boot now but I can dream.

  • For anyone concerned about hiring Schwartz because of his stint in Detroit as a Head Coach, 29-51, here are some coaches I found who had success at second and third coaching stops:

    Marv Levy - 31-42 in KC, 112-70 in Buffalo, 8 Playoff Appearances, 4 AFC Titles

    Mike Shanahan - 8-12 for the Raiders, 138-86 in DEN, 7 Playoff Appearances, 2 Super Bowls

    Pete Carroll - 6-10 in NYJ, 27-21 in NE, 2 Playoff Appearances, 137-89 in SEA, 10 Playoff Appearances, 1 Super Bowl

    Bill Belichick - 36-44 in CLE, 1 Playoff Appearance, 266-121 in NE, 18 Playoff Appearances, 6 Super Bowls

  • A AP1

    Not only has Jimmy Haslam failed to put the right people in place to select a coach.

    He has now been unable to properly read the tea leaves. Just because one owns an NFL Franchise doesn’t guarantee others want to be the Head Coach.

    On top of that, he has made the grand mistake that many of us feel. Berry is making decisions, but his leash is short as well. That has created uncertainty among the qualified candidates who understand that one year from now the Browns will probably have a new GM and that GM will want his people in place.

    And Jimmy is trying to do all of this to save face, to try and make it look like the team's not doing a complete rebuild, to try to keep the Defense intact and a future HOFer in Cleveland.

    The Google tells me the Browns have two of the eight next key candidates to be GM: Glenn Cooks and Catherine Raiche.

    What does anyone know about them? I know nothing, I don't know if they're legitimate or the AI is giving me those names because I'm a Browns fan.

    I can't imagine that Haslam would give Berry the boot now but I can dream.

    @ap1 said:

    Not only has Jimmy Haslam failed to put the right people in place to select a coach.

    He has now been unable to properly read the tea leaves. Just because one owns an NFL Franchise doesn’t guarantee others want to be the Head Coach.

    On top of that, he has made the grand mistake that many of us feel. Berry is making decisions, but his leash is short as well. That has created uncertainty among the qualified candidates who understand that one year from now the Browns will probably have a new GM and that GM will want his people in place.

    And Jimmy is trying to do all of this to save face, to try and make it look like the team's not doing a complete rebuild, to try to keep the Defense intact and a future HOFer in Cleveland.

    The Google tells me the Browns have two of the eight next key candidates to be GM: Glenn Cooks and Catherine Raiche.

    What does anyone know about them? I know nothing, I don't know if they're legitimate or the AI is giving me those names because I'm a Browns fan.

    I can't imagine that Haslam would give Berry the boot now but I can dream.

    The boot?  No; but a dirty jock strap would work.   Jimmy is another very wealthy leader that looks for scapegoats instead of COUNTING/READING the inconvenient truth as a cue to action instead of a Fah-cue.  

    Tell you what I want.  Let's baby step with 1 thing right here - I want Joe Thomas to be our OLine Coach.  We need 2 reliable starting OTackles; and he was once a rookie starting LT with the luxury of playing next to a calming influence and reliable/savvy veteran OGuard like Eric Steinbach (another OL stud from Kirk Ferentz's program at Iowa). The Browns went 10-6 that year fwiw...

    If it's not promoting Schwartz - my guess is their SIP (Scapegoat In Training) will be a "Yes Sir" guy that will probably get power played by Berry & Haslam when it comes time for the new HC to hire the staff around him.  It's prolly a big reason they have to wait until all the ideal HC prospects are hired elsewhere before settling on someone they'll pretend was their choice all along. 

    I don't sound massively frustrated that this is where Jimmy's business is still at - do I?  I used to joke around reminding us all - "We're all here because we're not all there."   So, I'm gonna try to stop bellyaching about it moving forward.  

  • sydS syd

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    @syd said:

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    True.

    Here's the thing, did the NYGiants actually satisfy this silly Rooney Rule? Sure doesn't look like it.

  • @flugel I would love Joe Thomas to be the OL Coach. Look at what Jason Taylor has done with (Univ of) Miami's DL. The Browns need Joe Thomas more than Joe Thomas needs to Browns. 

    Loyal as he is to Cleveland and the Browns, I believe the Browns frustrate him. His social media posts aren't critical but they are truthful.

    He enjoys time on his farm. He is heavily involved in raising NIL money for Wisconsin and recruiting players in the portal.

    He can make just as much behind a microphone as he can coaching, plus he gets to fly in/fly out faster and spend Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas with his kids rather than work 16-17 hour days August through January. 

    Just my take. I wish I was wrong.

  • @syd said:

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    True.

    Here's the thing, did the NYGiants actually satisfy this silly Rooney Rule? Sure doesn't look like it.

    @bob806 said:

    True.

    Here's the thing, did the NYGiants actually satisfy this silly Rooney Rule? Sure doesn't look like it.

    Thanks Bob!  You nailed it!  Another episode of "It's only the Browns" justifying criteria that favors a team like the Rats. Sticking with the theme as 1 Distorted Poet Used to say: "Treat me like the Dirtbag that I am."  In his honor, I'll share some of his dirty revised poetry - so if anyone doesn't like Pottymouth you can boycott the short video below...

  • A AP1

    @flugel I would love Joe Thomas to be the OL Coach. Look at what Jason Taylor has done with (Univ of) Miami's DL. The Browns need Joe Thomas more than Joe Thomas needs to Browns. 

    Loyal as he is to Cleveland and the Browns, I believe the Browns frustrate him. His social media posts aren't critical but they are truthful.

    He enjoys time on his farm. He is heavily involved in raising NIL money for Wisconsin and recruiting players in the portal.

    He can make just as much behind a microphone as he can coaching, plus he gets to fly in/fly out faster and spend Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas with his kids rather than work 16-17 hour days August through January. 

    Just my take. I wish I was wrong.

    @ap1 said:

    @flugel I would love Joe Thomas to be the OL Coach. Look at what Jason Taylor has done with (Univ of) Miami's DL. The Browns need Joe Thomas more than Joe Thomas needs to Browns. 

    Loyal as he is to Cleveland and the Browns, I believe the Browns frustrate him. His social media posts aren't critical but they are truthful.

    He enjoys time on his farm. He is heavily involved in raising NIL money for Wisconsin and recruiting players in the portal.

    He can make just as much behind a microphone as he can coaching, plus he gets to fly in/fly out faster and spend Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas with his kids rather than work 16-17 hour days August through January. 

    Just my take. I wish I was wrong.

    Great take!  I wish you were wrong too AP1... 

    If anyone can nullify the desperate situation with our OLine & OTackles in particular - Here's to hoping we're both wrong:

    https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2025/06/19/cleveland-browns-training-camp-joe-thomas-left-tackle-dawand-jones/84260345007/

    Here's another thing I found on Google I cut and pasted below:

    image.png.4aa41db3c4316c34d27f6f057b17dfe0.png

    image.png.dcc8a13f9977b385c5d68fd6ddddecab.png

  • @syd said:

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    True.

    Here's the thing, did the NYGiants actually satisfy this silly Rooney Rule? Sure doesn't look like it.

    @bob806 said:

    True.

    Here's the thing, did the NYGiants actually satisfy this silly Rooney Rule? Sure doesn't look like it.

    if not, what happens ? a fine of some kind ? i mean it is the NY football giants we are talking about here, not The Browns

  • image.png.58b89a202ac80ded5bf7e3e4aa643786.png

  • @orion said:

    image.png.58b89a202ac80ded5bf7e3e4aa643786.png

    Yeah rumors have him going to the Ratbirds. 

    I'm not sure what to think about this Browns HC process. Their track record is in all of our minds....will the patience pay off? 

    Maybe the Scheelhaase guy is their guy?

  • after the watson debacle, what in demand coach would want to come to the Browns when they can go elsewhere??? 

      We'll see - but like Ward was saying - they need a strong leader as HC. I just think haslam is too arrogant to hire one.

  • @orion said:

    image.png.58b89a202ac80ded5bf7e3e4aa643786.png

    Yeah rumors have him going to the Ratbirds. 

    I'm not sure what to think about this Browns HC process. Their track record is in all of our minds....will the patience pay off? 

    Maybe the Scheelhaase guy is their guy?

    @bob806 said:

    Yeah rumors have him going to the Ratbirds. 

    I'm not sure what to think about this Browns HC process. Their track record is in all of our minds....will the patience pay off? 

    Maybe the Scheelhaase guy is their guy?

    It's basically a testimony of where the Browns Owner & FO ranks among all competitors that were bad enough to need a new HC.  Todd Monken who had a recent 2nd interview was an OC here that was so well trusted the 1st time he was here - that he wasn't even allowed to call the plays for HC Freddie Childress.  Now, the Owner and Andrew Berry have him as one of the select few competing with DC Jim Schwartz (that Haslam and Berry are reluctant to promote).  

    They'll get their version of the best of what's left.  Let's say it becomes Steeple-Chase.  The 1st culture shock is 1 team has legit NFL starting Tackles while the Browns need to find 2 upgrades an OC would be comfortable with.  The Rams have had QB Matthew Stafford - while the Browns have a Rosary & 2 unproven QBs from the 3rd & 5th rounds.  On the perimeter at QB the Rams have 2 WRs that excel at getting open, catching passes, making 1st downs and scoring TDs. The Browns have 1 veteran WR Jerry Jeudy that was a bad fit in Denver for Sean Payton and only 1 other WR that was undrafted (Isaiah Bond from Texas) but that doesn't hold a candle to the Rams.  The Rams also have 2 very good RBs Kyren Williams and Blake Corum; BUT this is 1 area the Browns can match their talent imo (if Judkins heals well). This feels like it's going to be a culture shock for a young coach like Steeple-Chase.

    We spend a lot of time talking about our team here.  Here we are with all the best HC candidates undoubtedly being advised by their agents - you don't want to work for Haslam & Berry.  Monken or Steeple-Chase will be left standing if the Brain Trust succeeds at pissing off Schwartz.  Then we'd have to find a DC.  That would SUCK. The 1 area of this team that looked like it had a lot of fun playing together last year; and Berry & Haslam could have them all wishing they were out of here. For the love of God just hire Schwartz already and get yourself a Coordinator while there's still 1 worth taking.  

  • @bob806 said:

    Yeah rumors have him going to the Ratbirds. 

    I'm not sure what to think about this Browns HC process. Their track record is in all of our minds....will the patience pay off? 

    Maybe the Scheelhaase guy is their guy?

    It's basically a testimony of where the Browns Owner & FO ranks among all competitors that were bad enough to need a new HC.  Todd Monken who had a recent 2nd interview was an OC here that was so well trusted the 1st time he was here - that he wasn't even allowed to call the plays for HC Freddie Childress.  Now, the Owner and Andrew Berry have him as one of the select few competing with DC Jim Schwartz (that Haslam and Berry are reluctant to promote).  

    They'll get their version of the best of what's left.  Let's say it becomes Steeple-Chase.  The 1st culture shock is 1 team has legit NFL starting Tackles while the Browns need to find 2 upgrades an OC would be comfortable with.  The Rams have had QB Matthew Stafford - while the Browns have a Rosary & 2 unproven QBs from the 3rd & 5th rounds.  On the perimeter at QB the Rams have 2 WRs that excel at getting open, catching passes, making 1st downs and scoring TDs. The Browns have 1 veteran WR Jerry Jeudy that was a bad fit in Denver for Sean Payton and only 1 other WR that was undrafted (Isaiah Bond from Texas) but that doesn't hold a candle to the Rams.  The Rams also have 2 very good RBs Kyren Williams and Blake Corum; BUT this is 1 area the Browns can match their talent imo (if Judkins heals well). This feels like it's going to be a culture shock for a young coach like Steeple-Chase.

    We spend a lot of time talking about our team here.  Here we are with all the best HC candidates undoubtedly being advised by their agents - you don't want to work for Haslam & Berry.  Monken or Steeple-Chase will be left standing if the Brain Trust succeeds at pissing off Schwartz.  Then we'd have to find a DC.  That would SUCK. The 1 area of this team that looked like it had a lot of fun playing together last year; and Berry & Haslam could have them all wishing they were out of here. For the love of God just hire Schwartz already and get yourself a Coordinator while there's still 1 worth taking.  

    @flugel said:

    Here we are with all the best HC candidates undoubtedly being advised by their agents - you don't want to work for Haslam & Berry.

    Right.  All one really has to do is look at Halsam's history of hiring and firing HC's & GM's....and the whole Kyle Shanahan thing (Let me the  _ _ _ _  outa' here).  

  • @bob806 said:

    Yeah rumors have him going to the Ratbirds. 

    I'm not sure what to think about this Browns HC process. Their track record is in all of our minds....will the patience pay off? 

    Maybe the Scheelhaase guy is their guy?

    It's basically a testimony of where the Browns Owner & FO ranks among all competitors that were bad enough to need a new HC.  Todd Monken who had a recent 2nd interview was an OC here that was so well trusted the 1st time he was here - that he wasn't even allowed to call the plays for HC Freddie Childress.  Now, the Owner and Andrew Berry have him as one of the select few competing with DC Jim Schwartz (that Haslam and Berry are reluctant to promote).  

    They'll get their version of the best of what's left.  Let's say it becomes Steeple-Chase.  The 1st culture shock is 1 team has legit NFL starting Tackles while the Browns need to find 2 upgrades an OC would be comfortable with.  The Rams have had QB Matthew Stafford - while the Browns have a Rosary & 2 unproven QBs from the 3rd & 5th rounds.  On the perimeter at QB the Rams have 2 WRs that excel at getting open, catching passes, making 1st downs and scoring TDs. The Browns have 1 veteran WR Jerry Jeudy that was a bad fit in Denver for Sean Payton and only 1 other WR that was undrafted (Isaiah Bond from Texas) but that doesn't hold a candle to the Rams.  The Rams also have 2 very good RBs Kyren Williams and Blake Corum; BUT this is 1 area the Browns can match their talent imo (if Judkins heals well). This feels like it's going to be a culture shock for a young coach like Steeple-Chase.

    We spend a lot of time talking about our team here.  Here we are with all the best HC candidates undoubtedly being advised by their agents - you don't want to work for Haslam & Berry.  Monken or Steeple-Chase will be left standing if the Brain Trust succeeds at pissing off Schwartz.  Then we'd have to find a DC.  That would SUCK. The 1 area of this team that looked like it had a lot of fun playing together last year; and Berry & Haslam could have them all wishing they were out of here. For the love of God just hire Schwartz already and get yourself a Coordinator while there's still 1 worth taking.  

    @flugel said:

    It's basically a testimony of where the Browns Owner & FO ranks among all competitors that were bad enough to need a new HC.  Todd Monken who had a recent 2nd interview was an OC here that was so well trusted the 1st time he was here - that he wasn't even allowed to call the plays for HC Freddie Childress.  Now, the Owner and Andrew Berry have him as one of the select few competing with DC Jim Schwartz (that Haslam and Berry are reluctant to promote).  

    They'll get their version of the best of what's left.  Let's say it becomes Steeple-Chase.  The 1st culture shock is 1 team has legit NFL starting Tackles while the Browns need to find 2 upgrades an OC would be comfortable with.  The Rams have had QB Matthew Stafford - while the Browns have a Rosary & 2 unproven QBs from the 3rd & 5th rounds.  On the perimeter at QB the Rams have 2 WRs that excel at getting open, catching passes, making 1st downs and scoring TDs. The Browns have 1 veteran WR Jerry Jeudy that was a bad fit in Denver for Sean Payton and only 1 other WR that was undrafted (Isaiah Bond from Texas) but that doesn't hold a candle to the Rams.  The Rams also have 2 very good RBs Kyren Williams and Blake Corum; BUT this is 1 area the Browns can match their talent ino (if Judkins heals well). This feels like it's going to be a culture shock for a young coach like Steeple-Chase.

    We spend a lot of time talking about our team here.  Here we are with all the best HC candidates undoubtedly being advised by their agents - you don't want to work for Haslam & Berry.  Monken or Steeple-Chase will be left standing if the Brain Trust succeeds at pissing off Schwartz.  Then we'd have to find a DC.  That would SUCK. The 1 area of this team that looked like it had a lot of fun playing together last year; and Berry & Haslam could have them all wishing they were out of here. For the love of God just hire Schwartz already and get yourself a Coordinator while there's still 1 worth taking.  

    I like your QB analysis?

    "A rosary and two unproven QBs" 

    Hemingway-esque lol