Skip to content

Draft so you can win more games

The Browns Board
284 17 13.6k 1
  • @calfoxwc said:

    so, if Dallas called, and wanted to trade up to our six pick.....

    giving us their two first round picks at 12 and 20 right before the steelers pick at 21....

    good idea or very bad idea to trade down?

    probably not going to happen, since they don't have a second or a third round pick round pick this year, but...

    Good idea. And makes sense for them if they want Sonny Styles. 

    12, 2nd this year and 2nd next year for 6. Gives us a slight advantage on the charts. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Good idea. And makes sense for them if they want Sonny Styles. 

    12, 2nd this year and 2nd next year for 6. Gives us a slight advantage on the charts. 

    Here's Mel Kiper's latest Mock Draft from earlier today (DON'T FORGET HE'S A RATBIRD FAN) doing the trade w/ Dallas where the Browns end up with pick# 12, #20, #24. For the most part I've enjoyed him over the years even with that flaw in all caps above.  This time though? This is exactly what our division rivals would want Cleveland to do to themselves except for Denzel Boston:

    Who wants a LT addicted to the couch and food? The corner he selected missed the 2025 season with an ACL injury so LSU CB Mansoor Delane would be a much safer choice right?  Dane Brugler's idea of drafting Miami LT Markell Bell in round 3 or 4 could be a much wiser selection especially if Dawand Jones begins the year as the starter at LT...

  • @syd said:

    I know it did not work with wills was it just injuries or he just did not play with any heart ?

     Plenty of reasons. Some are more subjective than others.  But the objective reasons tie in below. 

    @syd said:

    so how hard is it to switch from RT to LT ?

     Depends on who you ask.  But I'm a big believer that you don't try to fight the natural neurology of someone's kick, set & prefered guide hand usage. 

     Not that players can't switch sides and find success.  You also have the rare players, like switch hitters at the plate, who just seem so fluid on either side.   I think there's a certain bravado to it as well for those who say it's easy, or the transition was easy for them.  Players hate acknowledging self weaknesses.  I.E. cornerbacks who only play one side of the ball.  I only ever met one dude who straight up asked if we could play L/R CB because he only felt comfortable playing LCB.   It's a pride thing, but I knew more corners felt that way. 

     Kinestetics is a fascinating science.  Right handed?  Read a sentence on a piece of paper, then write out that same sentence underneath it. You didn't have to think about the 'how' or technique behind your writing, you just did. 

     Do that same thing, but left handed. Now you've added the element of actually having to *think about 'how' you're going to write the words out.   That alone adds another element, another layer of cognitive processing which may add to the, borrowing a technical term, latency, (delay) of 'thought'-->physical action.  

     So for me, I want the player whose transition to the NFL isn't made more difficult by having to add in those further cognitive processes. I want the natural reaction, the "without thinking" only made possible from 10s of thousands of hours doing something. 

     I also penciled in Howard as our RT starter for 2 seasons.  RT is his primary and best spot.  So moving him to LT, then inserting a rookie, feels like I potentially weaken 2 positions along the most unique unit in all of football (OL) 

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

     Plenty of reasons. Some are more subjective than others.  But the objective reasons tie in below. 

     Depends on who you ask.  But I'm a big believer that you don't try to fight the natural neurology of someone's kick, set & prefered guide hand usage. 

     Not that players can't switch sides and find success.  You also have the rare players, like switch hitters at the plate, who just seem so fluid on either side.   I think there's a certain bravado to it as well for those who say it's easy, or the transition was easy for them.  Players hate acknowledging self weaknesses.  I.E. cornerbacks who only play one side of the ball.  I only ever met one dude who straight up asked if we could play L/R CB because he only felt comfortable playing LCB.   It's a pride thing, but I knew more corners felt that way. 

     Kinestetics is a fascinating science.  Right handed?  Read a sentence on a piece of paper, then write out that same sentence underneath it. You didn't have to think about the 'how' or technique behind your writing, you just did. 

     Do that same thing, but left handed. Now you've added the element of actually having to *think about 'how' you're going to write the words out.   That alone adds another element, another layer of cognitive processing which may add to the, borrowing a technical term, latency, (delay) of 'thought'-->physical action.  

     So for me, I want the player whose transition to the NFL isn't made more difficult by having to add in those further cognitive processes. I want the natural reaction, the "without thinking" only made possible from 10s of thousands of hours doing something. 

     I also penciled in Howard as our RT starter for 2 seasons.  RT is his primary and best spot.  So moving him to LT, then inserting a rookie, feels like I potentially weaken 2 positions along the most unique unit in all of football (OL) 

    ok then, who is worthy of a first round pick to play LT ? seems to me besides Blake or that kid from Utah all others should be on the other side of the line

  • sydS syd

    @tiamat63 said:

     Plenty of reasons. Some are more subjective than others.  But the objective reasons tie in below. 

     Depends on who you ask.  But I'm a big believer that you don't try to fight the natural neurology of someone's kick, set & prefered guide hand usage. 

     Not that players can't switch sides and find success.  You also have the rare players, like switch hitters at the plate, who just seem so fluid on either side.   I think there's a certain bravado to it as well for those who say it's easy, or the transition was easy for them.  Players hate acknowledging self weaknesses.  I.E. cornerbacks who only play one side of the ball.  I only ever met one dude who straight up asked if we could play L/R CB because he only felt comfortable playing LCB.   It's a pride thing, but I knew more corners felt that way. 

     Kinestetics is a fascinating science.  Right handed?  Read a sentence on a piece of paper, then write out that same sentence underneath it. You didn't have to think about the 'how' or technique behind your writing, you just did. 

     Do that same thing, but left handed. Now you've added the element of actually having to *think about 'how' you're going to write the words out.   That alone adds another element, another layer of cognitive processing which may add to the, borrowing a technical term, latency, (delay) of 'thought'-->physical action.  

     So for me, I want the player whose transition to the NFL isn't made more difficult by having to add in those further cognitive processes. I want the natural reaction, the "without thinking" only made possible from 10s of thousands of hours doing something. 

     I also penciled in Howard as our RT starter for 2 seasons.  RT is his primary and best spot.  So moving him to LT, then inserting a rookie, feels like I potentially weaken 2 positions along the most unique unit in all of football (OL) 

    ok then, who is worthy of a first round pick to play LT ? seems to me besides Blake or that kid from Utah all others should be on the other side of the line

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @syd said:

    ok then, who is worthy of a first round pick to play LT ? seems to me besides Blake or that kid from Utah all others should be on the other side of the line

    Can't fully answer that yet.  Might be none. 

    - I want no part of Proctor. 

    - I'm bullish on switching tackles to different sides. 

    - I was emailed some more Caleb Lomu film and now he's falling down my board.  Athletically he's all there.  Technically, he has quite a long way to go. (Set, Hand & pass pro strike sync) 

    Edit:  Maybe that's the case with the Browns brass. Maybe they're seeing the same things?  So that means their answer could be. 

    - Draft the most developed RT and transition him to LT. 

    - Draft RT.  Kick Tytus Howard over to LT to hold down the point while they draft LT of the future in later rounds 2026, or early-ish 2027. 

  • @syd said:

    ok then, who is worthy of a first round pick to play LT ? seems to me besides Blake or that kid from Utah all others should be on the other side of the line

    Can't fully answer that yet.  Might be none. 

    - I want no part of Proctor. 

    - I'm bullish on switching tackles to different sides. 

    - I was emailed some more Caleb Lomu film and now he's falling down my board.  Athletically he's all there.  Technically, he has quite a long way to go. (Set, Hand & pass pro strike sync) 

    Edit:  Maybe that's the case with the Browns brass. Maybe they're seeing the same things?  So that means their answer could be. 

    - Draft the most developed RT and transition him to LT. 

    - Draft RT.  Kick Tytus Howard over to LT to hold down the point while they draft LT of the future in later rounds 2026, or early-ish 2027. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    - Draft the most developed RT and transition him to LT. 

    Why not draft Fano?  The guy that can play either...

  • @calfoxwc said:

    so, if Dallas called, and wanted to trade up to our six pick.....

    giving us their two first round picks at 12 and 20 right before the steelers pick at 21....

    good idea or very bad idea to trade down?

    probably not going to happen, since they don't have a second or a third round pick round pick this year, but...

    Good idea. And makes sense for them if they want Sonny Styles. 

    12, 2nd this year and 2nd next year for 6. Gives us a slight advantage on the charts. 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Good idea. And makes sense for them if they want Sonny Styles. 

    12, 2nd this year and 2nd next year for 6. Gives us a slight advantage on the charts. 

    Saw at a recent The Athletic Mock..

    6. Dallas Cowboys (from CLE*): Sonny Styles, LB, Ohio State

    *Projected trade: Browns receive Nos. 12, 20 and a 2027 fourth-round pick; Cowboys receive Nos. 6 and 39*

    The Cowboys could sit at No. 12 and have an impact defender fall to them, but it won’t be surprising if the organization gets aggressive. Styles would not only be an immediate starter at a position of need, but also wear the green dot as a rookie.

    In this projected trade, the Cowboys surrender two of the first-rounders they hold this year (plus a 2027 pick), but they get back into Round 2.

    Full 2026 NFL mock draft: Dane Brugler predicts all 7 rounds and 257 picks - The Athletic

    Cleveland Browns

    1 (12). Spencer Fano, OT, Utah (Sadiq,Lemon,Vega,Freeling)
    1 (20). KC Concepcion, WR, Texas A&M  (Omar Cooper, K. Proctor)
    1 (24). Emmanuel McNeil-Warren, S, Toledo (Lomu,D.Boston,Blake Miller)
    3 (70). Derrick Moore, edge, Michigan
    4 (107). Markell Bell, OT, Miami
    5 (146). Will Kacmarek, TE, Ohio State
    5 (149). Jadon Canady, CB, Oregon
    6 (206). David Gusta, DT, Kentucky
    7 (248). Karson Sharar, LB, Iowa

  • @tiamat63 said:

    - Draft the most developed RT and transition him to LT. 

    Why not draft Fano?  The guy that can play either...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    Why not draft Fano?  The guy that can play either...

     Goes back to my comments about asking players to make switches while growing into a role they're specializing in. 

     Many believed that Travis Hunter was so transcendent a talent, that he could play both sides of the ball equally. Turns out, in the modern NFL, because these kids are receiving such focused training at such a young age; that sort of thing has gone the way of the dodo bird.  

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.  

     Without an extended viewing (yet) I can't give an endorsement.   Right now, after the extra stuff sent to me about Caleb Lomu, Blake Miller is my current leader for OT (RT)

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    Well only one more week of speculation to go before we mess up another OL.?

  • @orion said:

    Why not draft Fano?  The guy that can play either...

     Goes back to my comments about asking players to make switches while growing into a role they're specializing in. 

     Many believed that Travis Hunter was so transcendent a talent, that he could play both sides of the ball equally. Turns out, in the modern NFL, because these kids are receiving such focused training at such a young age; that sort of thing has gone the way of the dodo bird.  

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.  

     Without an extended viewing (yet) I can't give an endorsement.   Right now, after the extra stuff sent to me about Caleb Lomu, Blake Miller is my current leader for OT (RT)

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

     Goes back to my comments about asking players to make switches while growing into a role they're specializing in. 

     Many believed that Travis Hunter was so transcendent a talent, that he could play both sides of the ball equally. Turns out, in the modern NFL, because these kids are receiving such focused training at such a young age; that sort of thing has gone the way of the dodo bird.  

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.  

     Without an extended viewing (yet) I can't give an endorsement.   Right now, after the extra stuff sent to me about Caleb Lomu, Blake Miller is my current leader for OT (RT)

    ok then I am bringing in someone like Decker to man the position for the year, and draft a OT in the 3rd to develop ,Go ahead and pick BPA at 6 and 24, or draft two wr's 

  • sydS syd

    @tiamat63 said:

     Goes back to my comments about asking players to make switches while growing into a role they're specializing in. 

     Many believed that Travis Hunter was so transcendent a talent, that he could play both sides of the ball equally. Turns out, in the modern NFL, because these kids are receiving such focused training at such a young age; that sort of thing has gone the way of the dodo bird.  

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.  

     Without an extended viewing (yet) I can't give an endorsement.   Right now, after the extra stuff sent to me about Caleb Lomu, Blake Miller is my current leader for OT (RT)

    ok then I am bringing in someone like Decker to man the position for the year, and draft a OT in the 3rd to develop ,Go ahead and pick BPA at 6 and 24, or draft two wr's 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @syd said:

    ok then I am bringing in someone like Decker to man the position for the year, and draft a OT in the 3rd to develop ,Go ahead and pick BPA at 6 and 24, or draft two wr's 

    If the finances allow, then sure. If not, Tytus Howard is being slid over to LT, draft a developmental player lower while addressing premium day 1 and higher day 2. 

  • @orion said:

    Why not draft Fano?  The guy that can play either...

     Goes back to my comments about asking players to make switches while growing into a role they're specializing in. 

     Many believed that Travis Hunter was so transcendent a talent, that he could play both sides of the ball equally. Turns out, in the modern NFL, because these kids are receiving such focused training at such a young age; that sort of thing has gone the way of the dodo bird.  

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.  

     Without an extended viewing (yet) I can't give an endorsement.   Right now, after the extra stuff sent to me about Caleb Lomu, Blake Miller is my current leader for OT (RT)

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.

    He played 13 games at LT.  Then moved to RT.  But is it because Lomu was unable to play either side?  We'd have to ask the team's coaches to better know that.

  • @tiamat63 said:

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.

    He played 13 games at LT.  Then moved to RT.  But is it because Lomu was unable to play either side?  We'd have to ask the team's coaches to better know that.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

     But is it because Lomu was unable to play either side?

    Conversely, was it because Lomu was the superior LT...?

    @orion said:

      We'd have to ask the team's coaches to better know that.

    This is where I'd love more industry contacts.  Until then, we have to take our best educated guesses.

  • sydS syd

    @tiamat63 said:

     Goes back to my comments about asking players to make switches while growing into a role they're specializing in. 

     Many believed that Travis Hunter was so transcendent a talent, that he could play both sides of the ball equally. Turns out, in the modern NFL, because these kids are receiving such focused training at such a young age; that sort of thing has gone the way of the dodo bird.  

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.  

     Without an extended viewing (yet) I can't give an endorsement.   Right now, after the extra stuff sent to me about Caleb Lomu, Blake Miller is my current leader for OT (RT)

    ok then I am bringing in someone like Decker to man the position for the year, and draft a OT in the 3rd to develop ,Go ahead and pick BPA at 6 and 24, or draft two wr's 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80

    @syd said:

    ok then I am bringing in someone like Decker to man the position for the year, and draft a OT in the 3rd to develop ,Go ahead and pick BPA at 6 and 24, or draft two wr's 

    Welcome I’ve landed here as well. There didn’t appear to be a tackle and now specifically a LT that was worth the #6 overall pick.  
     

    Paying good talent #6 overall money and perhaps playing them in their second best spot.  Or taking a higher rated talent at their natural position?  What selection do the best organizations make? 

  • @orion said:

     But is it because Lomu was unable to play either side?

    Conversely, was it because Lomu was the superior LT...?

    @orion said:

      We'd have to ask the team's coaches to better know that.

    This is where I'd love more industry contacts.  Until then, we have to take our best educated guesses.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Conversely, was it because Lomu was the superior LT...?

    Well, the answer to my question that you're responding to would answer that.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    - Draft the most developed RT and transition him to LT. 

    Why not draft Fano?  The guy that can play either...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    Why not draft Fano?  The guy that can play either...

    5hours later and 3 games deep.   I can tell you Fano, like his teammate Lomu, has really dropped down my board.  

    He has quick feet, like Caleb.  But they both have significant technical limitations that need immediate improvement.  Unlike Caleb, there are arm length concerns that showed up early and often for Spence, especially against TTU.

     I wouldn't pencil either in as a day 1 starter.  Top 20 pick has to be a day 1 starter.  

  • @syd said:

    ok then, who is worthy of a first round pick to play LT ? seems to me besides Blake or that kid from Utah all others should be on the other side of the line

    Can't fully answer that yet.  Might be none. 

    - I want no part of Proctor. 

    - I'm bullish on switching tackles to different sides. 

    - I was emailed some more Caleb Lomu film and now he's falling down my board.  Athletically he's all there.  Technically, he has quite a long way to go. (Set, Hand & pass pro strike sync) 

    Edit:  Maybe that's the case with the Browns brass. Maybe they're seeing the same things?  So that means their answer could be. 

    - Draft the most developed RT and transition him to LT. 

    - Draft RT.  Kick Tytus Howard over to LT to hold down the point while they draft LT of the future in later rounds 2026, or early-ish 2027. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Can't fully answer that yet.  Might be none. 

    - I want no part of Proctor. 

    - I'm bullish on switching tackles to different sides. 

    - I was emailed some more Caleb Lomu film and now he's falling down my board.  Athletically he's all there.  Technically, he has quite a long way to go. (Set, Hand & pass pro strike sync) 

    Edit:  Maybe that's the case with the Browns brass. Maybe they're seeing the same things?  So that means their answer could be. 

    - Draft the most developed RT and transition him to LT. 

    - Draft RT.  Kick Tytus Howard over to LT to hold down the point while they draft LT of the future in later rounds 2026, or early-ish 2027. 

    I like your points and trust your knowledge; but just a reminder to even you - are we drafting rear view mirror (his 1st 2 years of college football)? If we went by that - how many people saw Mendoza going first in the 2026 draft (after his 2023 & 2024 seasons at Cal)? I think this time last year in a look ahead to the 2026 draft - McShay had Klubnik listed first.  IMO, Mendoza went to the perfect program for his intellect and skill-set.  Result?  All good things tapped.

    As for Lomu, what he lacks at arm length under 34" (still longer than Fano's) as a LT - he makes up for with the best footwork at the LT position this year.  All that matters in pass pro is keeping oneself between his opponent and his QB until the pass is thrown.  BUT when that seems to look ready to go awry with Lomu - he has the mind to know where his QB is in tandem with the knowledge of how to use his opponent's choice of path against the opponent by staying on him and riding that guy much deeper or further beyond threat to passer?  Why/How?  Feet. That poor defensive guy is breathing in so much Lomu ass breath in intimate space - he's gonna end the day thinking "that guy was a pain in my ass for 3 hours."  I expect some change in this over the next 2 seasons in the sense of better recruitment of his handwork/upper torso where applicable.  He's NOT a guard with ideal pad height for the lower centers of gravity frames at DT weighing in between 320 - 350 lbs+.  I think you've alluded to that somewhere as well.

    If we wanted a LT that could jolt guys back on his initial hand placement - it would be Kadyn Proctor. HOWEVER,  it needs to be more than 20-30% of his pass pro sets - which is an elusive trend inviting too much wishful thinking for comfort.  He did give the poor guy holding the pad at the combine the equivalent of a forklift from an angry bear. Aside from his lack of discipline with his body weight - he's very inconsistent with his initial contact which doesn't work well  his heavy feet on the Left Edge.  This seems like too much to wishful think for imo.  Hope to God the Browns have the right person reviewing his film if he's the way they're leaning at this time.  I'd make sure his contact has all kinds of ideal weight incentives...

  • @orion said:

    Why not draft Fano?  The guy that can play either...

     Goes back to my comments about asking players to make switches while growing into a role they're specializing in. 

     Many believed that Travis Hunter was so transcendent a talent, that he could play both sides of the ball equally. Turns out, in the modern NFL, because these kids are receiving such focused training at such a young age; that sort of thing has gone the way of the dodo bird.  

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.  

     Without an extended viewing (yet) I can't give an endorsement.   Right now, after the extra stuff sent to me about Caleb Lomu, Blake Miller is my current leader for OT (RT)

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

     Goes back to my comments about asking players to make switches while growing into a role they're specializing in. 

     Many believed that Travis Hunter was so transcendent a talent, that he could play both sides of the ball equally. Turns out, in the modern NFL, because these kids are receiving such focused training at such a young age; that sort of thing has gone the way of the dodo bird.  

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.  

     Without an extended viewing (yet) I can't give an endorsement.   Right now, after the extra stuff sent to me about Caleb Lomu, Blake Miller is my current leader for OT (RT)

    I agree.  Not everybody can switch from one side dominate to the other.  If it was that easy every baseball player would be a switch hitter.  Not everybody can think, see, and react in reverse.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Can't fully answer that yet.  Might be none. 

    - I want no part of Proctor. 

    - I'm bullish on switching tackles to different sides. 

    - I was emailed some more Caleb Lomu film and now he's falling down my board.  Athletically he's all there.  Technically, he has quite a long way to go. (Set, Hand & pass pro strike sync) 

    Edit:  Maybe that's the case with the Browns brass. Maybe they're seeing the same things?  So that means their answer could be. 

    - Draft the most developed RT and transition him to LT. 

    - Draft RT.  Kick Tytus Howard over to LT to hold down the point while they draft LT of the future in later rounds 2026, or early-ish 2027. 

    I like your points and trust your knowledge; but just a reminder to even you - are we drafting rear view mirror (his 1st 2 years of college football)? If we went by that - how many people saw Mendoza going first in the 2026 draft (after his 2023 & 2024 seasons at Cal)? I think this time last year in a look ahead to the 2026 draft - McShay had Klubnik listed first.  IMO, Mendoza went to the perfect program for his intellect and skill-set.  Result?  All good things tapped.

    As for Lomu, what he lacks at arm length under 34" (still longer than Fano's) as a LT - he makes up for with the best footwork at the LT position this year.  All that matters in pass pro is keeping oneself between his opponent and his QB until the pass is thrown.  BUT when that seems to look ready to go awry with Lomu - he has the mind to know where his QB is in tandem with the knowledge of how to use his opponent's choice of path against the opponent by staying on him and riding that guy much deeper or further beyond threat to passer?  Why/How?  Feet. That poor defensive guy is breathing in so much Lomu ass breath in intimate space - he's gonna end the day thinking "that guy was a pain in my ass for 3 hours."  I expect some change in this over the next 2 seasons in the sense of better recruitment of his handwork/upper torso where applicable.  He's NOT a guard with ideal pad height for the lower centers of gravity frames at DT weighing in between 320 - 350 lbs+.  I think you've alluded to that somewhere as well.

    If we wanted a LT that could jolt guys back on his initial hand placement - it would be Kadyn Proctor. HOWEVER,  it needs to be more than 20-30% of his pass pro sets - which is an elusive trend inviting too much wishful thinking for comfort.  He did give the poor guy holding the pad at the combine the equivalent of a forklift from an angry bear. Aside from his lack of discipline with his body weight - he's very inconsistent with his initial contact which doesn't work well  his heavy feet on the Left Edge.  This seems like too much to wishful think for imo.  Hope to God the Browns have the right person reviewing his film if he's the way they're leaning at this time.  I'd make sure his contact has all kinds of ideal weight incentives...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    I like your points and trust your knowledge; but just a reminder to even you - are we drafting rear view mirror (his 1st 2 years of college football)?

       How we finish means more than how we start.

    @flugel said:

    As for Lomu, what he lacks at arm length under 34" (still longer than Fano's) as a LT -

    Tristan Wirfs has 34in arm length.  Lomu is 33.5.   That .5 isn't what hurts his game and the media are making WAY too much of it.

    @flugel said:

    he makes up for with the best footwork at the LT position this year.

     I thought the same, but really, it's a half truth.   His footwork is his athletic ability.  He moves well for his size.  Quality athlete laterally.   The more I've watched, the more I see the technical nuances of both Caleb & Lomu are unrefined, at best. I'm being kind in my appraisal.   Vertical/kick step? Forget about it.    They let Lomu 45 set so much because he just wins with natural athletic ability.   The Texas Tech game was eye opening when I got to it.  When the athletic ability was matched by their edges, the weaknesses in game really started to show though.   

     Fano's footwork is every bit as rough, with the added downside that he has much shorter arms.  Shorter arms that show up on film, on the field.  Not just in combine tests.

     As fast as they were at the top of my board, with more film & data, they've dropped just as fast.

    @flugel said:

     All that matters in pass pro is keeping oneself between his opponent and his QB until the pass is thrown.

     Spacing is incredibly important.  If I'm between the QB and the pass rusher, but I'm being driven back into the QB's lap, they that 'between' doesn't mean much.

    @flugel said:

       it would be Kadyn Proctor. 

     Proctor's FSU film early was damning.  He was beat inside more than expected, because his natural enemy is edge speed.  As a result, he was oversetting early to combat it, only to be beaten back to the inside.  So his greatest strength can't quite compensate for his greatest weakness.  

     He may end up shedding weight, refining his athleticism and being a better player.  But I'll let another team take that risk.

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Goes back to my comments about asking players to make switches while growing into a role they're specializing in. 

     Many believed that Travis Hunter was so transcendent a talent, that he could play both sides of the ball equally. Turns out, in the modern NFL, because these kids are receiving such focused training at such a young age; that sort of thing has gone the way of the dodo bird.  

     So if we're draft Fano because you believe he's the long term future, and his best position is RT - then keep him there.  

     Without an extended viewing (yet) I can't give an endorsement.   Right now, after the extra stuff sent to me about Caleb Lomu, Blake Miller is my current leader for OT (RT)

    I agree.  Not everybody can switch from one side dominate to the other.  If it was that easy every baseball player would be a switch hitter.  Not everybody can think, see, and react in reverse.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree.  Not everybody can switch from one side dominate to the other.  If it was that easy every baseball player would be a switch hitter.  Not everybody can think, see, and react in reverse.

    That’s an interesting analogy. I would argue that being right handed is different than being right legged, and those are 2 wildly different things depending on what you’re looking to do with those skill sets.

    I’m right handed, but l’m left legged. I was a hurdler in high school, and ideally it’s 3 steps between hurdles with your dominant leg as the lead step over a hurdle. That’s tough to do unless you’re of a certain height, and l am not. 

    To this day l can touch my big left toe to my nose, but l can’t do that with my right big toe. What leg do you use in kickball? That’s what l would want to know if l’m assigning sides on the O-line.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree.  Not everybody can switch from one side dominate to the other.  If it was that easy every baseball player would be a switch hitter.  Not everybody can think, see, and react in reverse.

    That’s an interesting analogy. I would argue that being right handed is different than being right legged, and those are 2 wildly different things depending on what you’re looking to do with those skill sets.

    I’m right handed, but l’m left legged. I was a hurdler in high school, and ideally it’s 3 steps between hurdles with your dominant leg as the lead step over a hurdle. That’s tough to do unless you’re of a certain height, and l am not. 

    To this day l can touch my big left toe to my nose, but l can’t do that with my right big toe. What leg do you use in kickball? That’s what l would want to know if l’m assigning sides on the O-line.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @ibleedbrown said:

    To this day l can touch my big left toe to my nose,

    ...and here I am struggling mightily just to put my socks on.  Wait 'til you get old you young whipper snapper!  🙂  

  • @flugel said:

    I like your points and trust your knowledge; but just a reminder to even you - are we drafting rear view mirror (his 1st 2 years of college football)?

       How we finish means more than how we start.

    @flugel said:

    As for Lomu, what he lacks at arm length under 34" (still longer than Fano's) as a LT -

    Tristan Wirfs has 34in arm length.  Lomu is 33.5.   That .5 isn't what hurts his game and the media are making WAY too much of it.

    @flugel said:

    he makes up for with the best footwork at the LT position this year.

     I thought the same, but really, it's a half truth.   His footwork is his athletic ability.  He moves well for his size.  Quality athlete laterally.   The more I've watched, the more I see the technical nuances of both Caleb & Lomu are unrefined, at best. I'm being kind in my appraisal.   Vertical/kick step? Forget about it.    They let Lomu 45 set so much because he just wins with natural athletic ability.   The Texas Tech game was eye opening when I got to it.  When the athletic ability was matched by their edges, the weaknesses in game really started to show though.   

     Fano's footwork is every bit as rough, with the added downside that he has much shorter arms.  Shorter arms that show up on film, on the field.  Not just in combine tests.

     As fast as they were at the top of my board, with more film & data, they've dropped just as fast.

    @flugel said:

     All that matters in pass pro is keeping oneself between his opponent and his QB until the pass is thrown.

     Spacing is incredibly important.  If I'm between the QB and the pass rusher, but I'm being driven back into the QB's lap, they that 'between' doesn't mean much.

    @flugel said:

       it would be Kadyn Proctor. 

     Proctor's FSU film early was damning.  He was beat inside more than expected, because his natural enemy is edge speed.  As a result, he was oversetting early to combat it, only to be beaten back to the inside.  So his greatest strength can't quite compensate for his greatest weakness.  

     He may end up shedding weight, refining his athleticism and being a better player.  But I'll let another team take that risk.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @tiamat63 said:

       How we finish means more than how we start.

    Tristan Wirfs has 34in arm length.  Lomu is 33.5.   That .5 isn't what hurts his game and the media are making WAY too much of it. I thought the same, but really, it's a half truth.   His footwork is his athletic ability.  He moves well for his size.  Quality athlete laterally.   The more I've watched, the more I see the technical nuances of both Caleb & Lomu are unrefined, at best. I'm being kind in my appraisal.   Vertical/kick step? Forget about it.    They let Lomu 45 set so much because he just wins with natural athletic ability.   The Texas Tech game was eye opening when I got to it.  When the athletic ability was matched by their edges, the weaknesses in game really started to show though. 

    Me - Lomu has only given up a total of 2 sacks (both in 2024 as a red shirt freshman at LT) in his 2 year college football career with 0 sacks yielded in 2025 so I'm not worried an about-to-be top 5 pick overall - David Bailey at TT gave him his biggest challenge. That's about 25 or 26 starts facing David Bailey twice. The 1 area I'd like to see him improve at his initial contact force/strength - especially during the runs to his side. I'm confident good coaching can resolve a lot of this. 

     Fano's footwork is every bit as rough, with the added downside that he has much shorter arms.  Shorter arms that show up on film, on the field.  Not just in combine tests.

    Me- Fano earned the Outland Trophy given to the best Lineman in college football so I think we need to dig a little further on what's making him successful (even though you found some areas that need polish)

     As fast as they were at the top of my board, with more film & data, they've dropped just as fast.

     Spacing is incredibly important.  If I'm between the QB and the pass rusher, but I'm being driven back into the QB's lap, they that 'between' doesn't mean much.

     Proctor's FSU film early was damning.  He was beat inside more than expected, because his natural enemy is edge speed.  As a result, he was oversetting early to combat it, only to be beaten back to the inside.  So his greatest strength can't quite compensate for his greatest weakness.  

     He may end up shedding weight, refining his athleticism and being a better player.  But I'll let another team take that risk.

    Me - Some good points TJ although we lost each other with Proctor.  I've never endorsed Proctor; especially since I want at least 1 LT here with good footwork instead of all arms. I saw the FSU game with Proctor and mentioned it as my bad 1st impression of him countless times in our group topics about Tackles. Here's what I did say:image.png.206e2d0ef9fec67cd7c13efb33971721.png