Draft so you can win more games
-
I think you're very good at what you do which is why you get paid to do it. I'll even say I don't think you're wrong about what either guy (Fano or Lomu) has to work on. That said, there's a very good chance both guys are going in the 1st round when 1 is only a red shirt sophomore and the other is just a junior. Neither one gave up a sack all year after combining for 2 sacks only in 2024.
That was indeed a good call by you regarding Miami vs Texas Tech. Miami LT Markell Bell played a lot of his best football near the end of the season and in the CFP in particular. It makes a lot of sense David Bailey is the closest thing Fano & Lomu saw to the NFL given he had 14.5 sacks with 19.5 tackles for loss, 13 quarterback hits and 3 forced fumbles last year. In a 15-16 game season - I'm guessing a lot of guys have a disappointing game or 2 to the standard they set and the expectations they have. If they are who they think they are from the passion and work they're committing - they'll bounce back...
I appreciate that.
You're right, chances are both OT's are going in the 1st round. But beyond the Bailey game there is too much for me to ignore. The structure of Utah's offense, on top of some favorable positional matchups on the schedule, have made this pair look better than they are. IMHO. This is the chicken or egg part - Was the Utah offense designed around their weaknesses? Or was the lack of technical development a result OF the Utah offensive design? I tend to lead towards the latter, with the former something the offensive structure naturally could help minimize if not outright mask.
I'm aware of the hill I might die on here, believe me. I'm going against professional consensus. But I've also been wrong when agreeing with professional consensus ( Josh Rosen ) Now, I wasn't wrong that he would be a 1st round pick. Only the limits of his abilities. But my "win" rate on draft evals when going against the grain of media professionals has seen me profitable. I'm doubling down on my eye for talent here.
Lomu is a great athlete and may have a fine career. Unless there's a minor miracle of off-season improvement from now until September, he's going to struggle early. He may end up settling into a fine career after because he is the superior athlete. Fano will struggle early and often. Even with significant technical improvement, I see his ceiling as been an average, maybe slightly-above-average OT. Not worth a top 25 and certainly not #6.
I appreciate that.
You're right, chances are both OT's are going in the 1st round. But beyond the Bailey game there is too much for me to ignore. The structure of Utah's offense, on top of some favorable positional matchups on the schedule, have made this pair look better than they are. IMHO. This is the chicken or egg part - Was the Utah offense designed around their weaknesses? Or was the lack of technical development a result OF the Utah offensive design? I tend to lead towards the latter, with the former something the offensive structure naturally could help minimize if not outright mask.
I'm aware of the hill I might die on here, believe me. I'm going against professional consensus. But I've also been wrong when agreeing with professional consensus ( Josh Rosen ) Now, I wasn't wrong that he would be a 1st round pick. Only the limits of his abilities. But my "win" rate on draft evals when going against the grain of media professionals has seen me profitable. I'm doubling down on my eye for talent here.
Lomu is a great athlete and may have a fine career. Unless there's a minor miracle of off-season improvement from now until September, he's going to struggle early. He may end up settling into a fine career after because he is the superior athlete. Fano will struggle early and often. Even with significant technical improvement, I see his ceiling as been an average, maybe slightly-above-average OT. Not worth a top 25 and certainly not #6.
Well said! As much as I made Lomu my fave - I agree with your points above. He probably should have gone back for at least 1 of his 2 years of eligibility remaining; but I'm sure many agents out there are well versed about how thin this draft is at LT so here he is. I think I've mentioned in a few of my posts in the last month or so that he'll probably experience some early growing pains. The good news is if Dawand Jones shows up fit and ready - we wouldn't have to rush Lomu out there while the Browns are trying to extinguish Sanders from standing in the pocket patting the football.
As for your pre-draft thoughts on Josh Rosen - don't feel bad because I got the other Josh wrong (Allen). REALLY wrong. If he wasn't in the AFC - I'd say get that guy some WRs.
-
I appreciate that.
You're right, chances are both OT's are going in the 1st round. But beyond the Bailey game there is too much for me to ignore. The structure of Utah's offense, on top of some favorable positional matchups on the schedule, have made this pair look better than they are. IMHO. This is the chicken or egg part - Was the Utah offense designed around their weaknesses? Or was the lack of technical development a result OF the Utah offensive design? I tend to lead towards the latter, with the former something the offensive structure naturally could help minimize if not outright mask.
I'm aware of the hill I might die on here, believe me. I'm going against professional consensus. But I've also been wrong when agreeing with professional consensus ( Josh Rosen ) Now, I wasn't wrong that he would be a 1st round pick. Only the limits of his abilities. But my "win" rate on draft evals when going against the grain of media professionals has seen me profitable. I'm doubling down on my eye for talent here.
Lomu is a great athlete and may have a fine career. Unless there's a minor miracle of off-season improvement from now until September, he's going to struggle early. He may end up settling into a fine career after because he is the superior athlete. Fano will struggle early and often. Even with significant technical improvement, I see his ceiling as been an average, maybe slightly-above-average OT. Not worth a top 25 and certainly not #6.
Well said! As much as I made Lomu my fave - I agree with your points above. He probably should have gone back for at least 1 of his 2 years of eligibility remaining; but I'm sure many agents out there are well versed about how thin this draft is at LT so here he is. I think I've mentioned in a few of my posts in the last month or so that he'll probably experience some early growing pains. The good news is if Dawand Jones shows up fit and ready - we wouldn't have to rush Lomu out there while the Browns are trying to extinguish Sanders from standing in the pocket patting the football.
As for your pre-draft thoughts on Josh Rosen - don't feel bad because I got the other Josh wrong (Allen). REALLY wrong. If he wasn't in the AFC - I'd say get that guy some WRs.
The good news is if Dawand Jones shows up fit and ready - we wouldn't have to rush Lomu out there while the Browns are trying to extinguish Sanders from standing in the pocket patting the football.
Can't guarantee that Dawand is healthy & ready to go. But in the modern era, if Lomu is the pick @ #6, I would struggle to see anyway he's not out there day 1. The investment is too great and the media would be far too loud.
I'll have more on Fano in a day or two. I'm actually working on a video for him.
As for your pre-draft thoughts on Josh Rosen - don't feel bad because I got the other Josh wrong (Allen). REALLY wrong. If he wasn't in the AFC - I'd say get that guy some WRs.
The advent of more access to all-22 the last 7-8 years has really helped me to refine my process. It's eye opening the difference it makes in terms of what you see that the QB's see.
-
I remember tuning into a Wyoming vs Iowa game and Josh Allen throwing back shoulder slants and airmailing passes left and right and I left with the impression if this is one of the first true CFB defenses this guy has seen (aside from SDSU) the Mountain West wasn't known for it this was a bad impression and his completion percentage was awful but the excuse was he didn’t have a supporting cast. I certainly didn’t want him but felt luck warm about Baker didn’t like Happy feet Darnold…but got Eli Manning vibes from Josh Rosen. Wildly off of course.
QB is tough evaluation. I liked Russell Wilson coming out of Wisconsin but I can’t say I’ve been right often.
On another topic…lots of chatter maybe misinformation but definitely smoke about the top half of this draft class being void of the usual “difference makers”
-
Trust & believe when I say, reps like the one below showed up in every game Utah played. Especially when they needed to drive the ball downfield without playaction or QB sprint out.
Fano did fine against interior rushers. But when he faced length & quickness at the 5-9tech, he struggled more often than not.
-
The good news is if Dawand Jones shows up fit and ready - we wouldn't have to rush Lomu out there while the Browns are trying to extinguish Sanders from standing in the pocket patting the football.
Can't guarantee that Dawand is healthy & ready to go. But in the modern era, if Lomu is the pick @ #6, I would struggle to see anyway he's not out there day 1. The investment is too great and the media would be far too loud.
I'll have more on Fano in a day or two. I'm actually working on a video for him.
As for your pre-draft thoughts on Josh Rosen - don't feel bad because I got the other Josh wrong (Allen). REALLY wrong. If he wasn't in the AFC - I'd say get that guy some WRs.
The advent of more access to all-22 the last 7-8 years has really helped me to refine my process. It's eye opening the difference it makes in terms of what you see that the QB's see.
Can't guarantee that Dawand is healthy & ready to go. But in the modern era, if Lomu is the pick @ #6, I would struggle to see anyway he's not out there day 1. The investment is too great and the media would be far too loud.
I'll have more on Fano in a day or two. I'm actually working on a video for him.
The advent of more access to all-22 the last 7-8 years has really helped me to refine my process. It's eye opening the difference it makes in terms of what you see that the QB's see.
Thanks! Your passion has taken you leaps and bounds from where you were when we first crossed paths (which wasn't bad at all). I could tell you had a football background and now that you utilize the all-22 - it's great to see where you're going with it all.
I'm not seeing Lomu projected at #6 overall any more; but a few of those that share their Mock Drafts on TV are still listing him at #24. That at best, coupled with not many big battle-tests outside of Texas Tech (that he clearly didn't ace) - leads me to believe the 21 year old would-be rs junior would still begin the season watching Dawand Jones (who said in an interview with Nathan Zegura) that aside from his strength & conditioning - he's also playing basketball. When asked if that was a good idea he said something along the line of he knows how to stay out of harm's way on the court. I've often wondered if the Browns had the right Sports Med staff in place and this didn't help alleviate that thinking.
A couple weeks after the draft, I'd like to watch whoever we draft at LT on the discord with you.
-
I’ll say this about Fano. He’s a nasty finisher. Effort 110%. Everything that Jed Wills wasn’t.
Can he overcome the physical limitations and get coached up with a good mentor like Joe Thomas and good offensive line coach?
-
Can't guarantee that Dawand is healthy & ready to go. But in the modern era, if Lomu is the pick @ #6, I would struggle to see anyway he's not out there day 1. The investment is too great and the media would be far too loud.
I'll have more on Fano in a day or two. I'm actually working on a video for him.
The advent of more access to all-22 the last 7-8 years has really helped me to refine my process. It's eye opening the difference it makes in terms of what you see that the QB's see.
Thanks! Your passion has taken you leaps and bounds from where you were when we first crossed paths (which wasn't bad at all). I could tell you had a football background and now that you utilize the all-22 - it's great to see where you're going with it all.
I'm not seeing Lomu projected at #6 overall any more; but a few of those that share their Mock Drafts on TV are still listing him at #24. That at best, coupled with not many big battle-tests outside of Texas Tech (that he clearly didn't ace) - leads me to believe the 21 year old would-be rs junior would still begin the season watching Dawand Jones (who said in an interview with Nathan Zegura) that aside from his strength & conditioning - he's also playing basketball. When asked if that was a good idea he said something along the line of he knows how to stay out of harm's way on the court. I've often wondered if the Browns had the right Sports Med staff in place and this didn't help alleviate that thinking.
A couple weeks after the draft, I'd like to watch whoever we draft at LT on the discord with you.
Thanks! Your passion has taken you leaps and bounds from where you were when we first crossed paths (which wasn't bad at all). I could tell you had a football background and now that you utilize the all-22 - it's great to see where you're going with it all.
I'm not seeing Lomu projected at #6 overall any more; but a few of those that share their Mock Drafts on TV are still listing him at #24. That at best, coupled with not many big battle-tests outside of Texas Tech (that he clearly didn't ace) - leads me to believe the 21 year old would-be rs junior would still begin the season watching Dawand Jones (who said in an interview with Nathan Zegura)
The reason I say Lomu may be taken that high is simply because the raw materials for a quality OT are there. He needs a lot of work, but he doesn't have the physical limitations Fano has.
A couple weeks after the draft, I'd like to watch whoever we draft at LT on the discord with you.
I'll be recording and diagraming snaps tonight to release a video before tomorrow on Fano. You, and anyone else, are always more than welcomed to join in and watch what I've found.
-
Thanks! Your passion has taken you leaps and bounds from where you were when we first crossed paths (which wasn't bad at all). I could tell you had a football background and now that you utilize the all-22 - it's great to see where you're going with it all.
I'm not seeing Lomu projected at #6 overall any more; but a few of those that share their Mock Drafts on TV are still listing him at #24. That at best, coupled with not many big battle-tests outside of Texas Tech (that he clearly didn't ace) - leads me to believe the 21 year old would-be rs junior would still begin the season watching Dawand Jones (who said in an interview with Nathan Zegura)
The reason I say Lomu may be taken that high is simply because the raw materials for a quality OT are there. He needs a lot of work, but he doesn't have the physical limitations Fano has.
A couple weeks after the draft, I'd like to watch whoever we draft at LT on the discord with you.
I'll be recording and diagraming snaps tonight to release a video before tomorrow on Fano. You, and anyone else, are always more than welcomed to join in and watch what I've found.
The reason I say Lomu may be taken that high is simply because the raw materials for a quality OT are there. He needs a lot of work, but he doesn't have the physical limitations Fano has.
I'll be recording and diagraming snaps tonight to release a video before tomorrow on Fano. You, and anyone else, are always more than welcomed to join in and watch what I've found.
That would be great! Thanks!
-
The reason I say Lomu may be taken that high is simply because the raw materials for a quality OT are there. He needs a lot of work, but he doesn't have the physical limitations Fano has.
I'll be recording and diagraming snaps tonight to release a video before tomorrow on Fano. You, and anyone else, are always more than welcomed to join in and watch what I've found.
That would be great! Thanks!
That would be great! Thanks!
Looking around 7:30pm EST. I have the timestamps of snaps I found between 3-4 games where the Utah offense and, by extension, Fano, were taken out of their comfort zone. While I'm cutting those up, I'll share with you guys what I found before I insert them into clips and give the analysis.
Again, all are welcomed.
-
That would be great! Thanks!
Looking around 7:30pm EST. I have the timestamps of snaps I found between 3-4 games where the Utah offense and, by extension, Fano, were taken out of their comfort zone. While I'm cutting those up, I'll share with you guys what I found before I insert them into clips and give the analysis.
Again, all are welcomed.
Looking around 7:30pm EST. I have the timestamps of snaps I found between 3-4 games where the Utah offense and, by extension, Fano, were taken out of their comfort zone. While I'm cutting those up, I'll share with you guys what I found before I insert them into clips and give the analysis.
Again, all are welcomed.
??
-
So the draft has just ended. And what did the Browns do. Well, they drafted so that they could win more games.
(keep in mind, we already had the #2 defense in the league)
We needed a LT. None of those really good defensive players were going to be able to protect our QB's blind side. So we took a LT with our 1st selection of the draft.
We had the worst WR room in the league. So with the next 2 selections we took 2 WR's. Both bringing somewhat different styles and sizes. We really needed a big WR that could catch balls at the back of the end zone (Denzel Boston). Concepcion is a shade under 6'...so he's not a smurf...but he is quick and supposedly able to get some immediate separation. I'd like to see him be our Wes Welker / Julian Eddleman.
From there they saw that a Safety that they liked had slipped a little more than they thought so they moved up to snag him. (it's handy to have some fire-power so you can pivot like that)
Lastly, in round 3 they went back for another OLineman that they liked. They vowed to fix the OL this offseason and WR positions and they certainly kept their word. (although I'm not sure that the Center that they selected is a fix)
After that we're into day 3 selections which are more of a crap-shoot.
Now are any of our early drafted players going to prove to be the fixes that we hoped? We can't know for sure. We know that there are those that didn't want Fano....and those that didn't want Concepcion of which I was one...but not because I didn't think he was any good, but because I wanted Denzel Boston more. Others would be happier with a Cooper - Boston duo.
We'll see how this draft turns out over the upcoming season. But one thing is for sure, the team was not going to be able to win more games without considerable effort put into the OL & WR groups. And that's where the team's most valuable draft assets were spent. Because the goal is to win games and not to pad statistics.
In hindsight, Caleb Downs is a great person. He would've been a great addition to the D and to the community. But heck, I don't live anywhere near that community.
Next year we may need a GOOD QB in order to win more games. But we've certainly given the QB the weapons and protection required (we hope) to eliminate those excuses when evaluating our QB play going forward.
SUPER BOWL !!!!
-
So the draft has just ended. And what did the Browns do. Well, they drafted so that they could win more games.
(keep in mind, we already had the #2 defense in the league)
We needed a LT. None of those really good defensive players were going to be able to protect our QB's blind side. So we took a LT with our 1st selection of the draft.
We had the worst WR room in the league. So with the next 2 selections we took 2 WR's. Both bringing somewhat different styles and sizes. We really needed a big WR that could catch balls at the back of the end zone (Denzel Boston). Concepcion is a shade under 6'...so he's not a smurf...but he is quick and supposedly able to get some immediate separation. I'd like to see him be our Wes Welker / Julian Eddleman.
From there they saw that a Safety that they liked had slipped a little more than they thought so they moved up to snag him. (it's handy to have some fire-power so you can pivot like that)
Lastly, in round 3 they went back for another OLineman that they liked. They vowed to fix the OL this offseason and WR positions and they certainly kept their word. (although I'm not sure that the Center that they selected is a fix)
After that we're into day 3 selections which are more of a crap-shoot.
Now are any of our early drafted players going to prove to be the fixes that we hoped? We can't know for sure. We know that there are those that didn't want Fano....and those that didn't want Concepcion of which I was one...but not because I didn't think he was any good, but because I wanted Denzel Boston more. Others would be happier with a Cooper - Boston duo.
We'll see how this draft turns out over the upcoming season. But one thing is for sure, the team was not going to be able to win more games without considerable effort put into the OL & WR groups. And that's where the team's most valuable draft assets were spent. Because the goal is to win games and not to pad statistics.
In hindsight, Caleb Downs is a great person. He would've been a great addition to the D and to the community. But heck, I don't live anywhere near that community.
Next year we may need a GOOD QB in order to win more games. But we've certainly given the QB the weapons and protection required (we hope) to eliminate those excuses when evaluating our QB play going forward.
SUPER BOWL !!!!
So the draft has just ended. And what did the Browns do. Well, they drafted so that they could win more games.
(keep in mind, we already had the #2 defense in the league)
We needed a LT. None of those really good defensive players were going to be able to protect our QB's blind side. So we took a LT with our 1st selection of the draft.
We had the worst WR room in the league. So with the next 2 selections we took 2 WR's. Both bringing somewhat different styles and sizes. We really needed a big WR that could catch balls at the back of the end zone (Denzel Boston). Concepcion is a shade under 6'...so he's not a smurf...but he is quick and supposedly able to get some immediate separation. I'd like to see him be our Wes Welker / Julian Eddleman.
From there they saw that a Safety that they liked had slipped a little more than they thought so they moved up to snag him. (it's handy to have some fire-power so you can pivot like that)
Lastly, in round 3 they went back for another OLineman that they liked. They vowed to fix the OL this offseason and WR positions and they certainly kept their word. (although I'm not sure that the Center that they selected is a fix)
After that we're into day 3 selections which are more of a crap-shoot.
Now are any of our early drafted players going to prove to be the fixes that we hoped? We can't know for sure. We know that there are those that didn't want Fano....and those that didn't want Concepcion of which I was one...but not because I didn't think he was any good, but because I wanted Denzel Boston more. Others would be happier with a Cooper - Boston duo.
We'll see how this draft turns out over the upcoming season. But one thing is for sure, the team was not going to be able to win more games without considerable effort put into the OL & WR groups. And that's where the team's most valuable draft assets were spent. Because the goal is to win games and not to pad statistics.
In hindsight, Caleb Downs is a great person. He would've been a great addition to the D and to the community. But heck, I don't live anywhere near that community.
Next year we may need a GOOD QB in order to win more games. But we've certainly given the QB the weapons and protection required (we hope) to eliminate those excuses when evaluating our QB play going forward.
SUPER BOWL !!!!
Good point; but that should always be the reason any team drafts beyond the one coming off a SB Championship! It was NICE to see the Browns getting who they wanted without any interference from Depodesta. End result? Our fans are pumped and the Browns are pumped! Significant efforts have been made to strengthen BOTH Tackle spots; while it looks like Dawand Jones has made the best effort of his career to show up in shape. None of this sucks. Deeper competition at both Tackle spots should bring out the best in everyone. Can't wait!
-
So the draft has just ended. And what did the Browns do. Well, they drafted so that they could win more games.
(keep in mind, we already had the #2 defense in the league)
We needed a LT. None of those really good defensive players were going to be able to protect our QB's blind side. So we took a LT with our 1st selection of the draft.
We had the worst WR room in the league. So with the next 2 selections we took 2 WR's. Both bringing somewhat different styles and sizes. We really needed a big WR that could catch balls at the back of the end zone (Denzel Boston). Concepcion is a shade under 6'...so he's not a smurf...but he is quick and supposedly able to get some immediate separation. I'd like to see him be our Wes Welker / Julian Eddleman.
From there they saw that a Safety that they liked had slipped a little more than they thought so they moved up to snag him. (it's handy to have some fire-power so you can pivot like that)
Lastly, in round 3 they went back for another OLineman that they liked. They vowed to fix the OL this offseason and WR positions and they certainly kept their word. (although I'm not sure that the Center that they selected is a fix)
After that we're into day 3 selections which are more of a crap-shoot.
Now are any of our early drafted players going to prove to be the fixes that we hoped? We can't know for sure. We know that there are those that didn't want Fano....and those that didn't want Concepcion of which I was one...but not because I didn't think he was any good, but because I wanted Denzel Boston more. Others would be happier with a Cooper - Boston duo.
We'll see how this draft turns out over the upcoming season. But one thing is for sure, the team was not going to be able to win more games without considerable effort put into the OL & WR groups. And that's where the team's most valuable draft assets were spent. Because the goal is to win games and not to pad statistics.
In hindsight, Caleb Downs is a great person. He would've been a great addition to the D and to the community. But heck, I don't live anywhere near that community.
Next year we may need a GOOD QB in order to win more games. But we've certainly given the QB the weapons and protection required (we hope) to eliminate those excuses when evaluating our QB play going forward.
SUPER BOWL !!!!
So the draft has just ended. And what did the Browns do. Well, they drafted so that they could win more games.
(keep in mind, we already had the #2 defense in the league)
We needed a LT. None of those really good defensive players were going to be able to protect our QB's blind side. So we took a LT with our 1st selection of the draft.
We had the worst WR room in the league. So with the next 2 selections we took 2 WR's. Both bringing somewhat different styles and sizes. We really needed a big WR that could catch balls at the back of the end zone (Denzel Boston). Concepcion is a shade under 6'...so he's not a smurf...but he is quick and supposedly able to get some immediate separation. I'd like to see him be our Wes Welker / Julian Eddleman.
From there they saw that a Safety that they liked had slipped a little more than they thought so they moved up to snag him. (it's handy to have some fire-power so you can pivot like that)
Lastly, in round 3 they went back for another OLineman that they liked. They vowed to fix the OL this offseason and WR positions and they certainly kept their word. (although I'm not sure that the Center that they selected is a fix)
After that we're into day 3 selections which are more of a crap-shoot.
Now are any of our early drafted players going to prove to be the fixes that we hoped? We can't know for sure. We know that there are those that didn't want Fano....and those that didn't want Concepcion of which I was one...but not because I didn't think he was any good, but because I wanted Denzel Boston more. Others would be happier with a Cooper - Boston duo.
We'll see how this draft turns out over the upcoming season. But one thing is for sure, the team was not going to be able to win more games without considerable effort put into the OL & WR groups. And that's where the team's most valuable draft assets were spent. Because the goal is to win games and not to pad statistics.
In hindsight, Caleb Downs is a great person. He would've been a great addition to the D and to the community. But heck, I don't live anywhere near that community.
Next year we may need a GOOD QB in order to win more games. But we've certainly given the QB the weapons and protection required (we hope) to eliminate those excuses when evaluating our QB play going forward.
SUPER BOWL !!!!
I'm out of cyber fanny pats today; but the good news is you don't need the heebeegeebees of me touching your ass ruining your morning. I forgot to mention - I'm really pumped about this draft strengthening the WR and the TE positions. If we're younger at OT, we needed to add some TEs to their outside shoulders that can also block - and I think we did that yesterday.
-
So the draft has just ended. And what did the Browns do. Well, they drafted so that they could win more games.
(keep in mind, we already had the #2 defense in the league)
We needed a LT. None of those really good defensive players were going to be able to protect our QB's blind side. So we took a LT with our 1st selection of the draft.
We had the worst WR room in the league. So with the next 2 selections we took 2 WR's. Both bringing somewhat different styles and sizes. We really needed a big WR that could catch balls at the back of the end zone (Denzel Boston). Concepcion is a shade under 6'...so he's not a smurf...but he is quick and supposedly able to get some immediate separation. I'd like to see him be our Wes Welker / Julian Eddleman.
From there they saw that a Safety that they liked had slipped a little more than they thought so they moved up to snag him. (it's handy to have some fire-power so you can pivot like that)
Lastly, in round 3 they went back for another OLineman that they liked. They vowed to fix the OL this offseason and WR positions and they certainly kept their word. (although I'm not sure that the Center that they selected is a fix)
After that we're into day 3 selections which are more of a crap-shoot.
Now are any of our early drafted players going to prove to be the fixes that we hoped? We can't know for sure. We know that there are those that didn't want Fano....and those that didn't want Concepcion of which I was one...but not because I didn't think he was any good, but because I wanted Denzel Boston more. Others would be happier with a Cooper - Boston duo.
We'll see how this draft turns out over the upcoming season. But one thing is for sure, the team was not going to be able to win more games without considerable effort put into the OL & WR groups. And that's where the team's most valuable draft assets were spent. Because the goal is to win games and not to pad statistics.
In hindsight, Caleb Downs is a great person. He would've been a great addition to the D and to the community. But heck, I don't live anywhere near that community.
Next year we may need a GOOD QB in order to win more games. But we've certainly given the QB the weapons and protection required (we hope) to eliminate those excuses when evaluating our QB play going forward.
SUPER BOWL !!!!
I'm out of cyber fanny pats today; but the good news is you don't need the heebeegeebees of me touching your ass ruining your morning. I forgot to mention - I'm really pumped about this draft strengthening the WR and the TE positions. If we're younger at OT, we needed to add some TEs to their outside shoulders that can also block - and I think we did that yesterday.
I'm out of cyber fanny pats today; but the good news is you don't need the heebeegeebees of me touching your ass ruining your morning. I forgot to mention - I'm really pumped about this draft strengthening the WR and the TE positions. If we're younger at OT, we needed to add some TEs to their outside shoulders that can also block - and I think we did that yesterday.
I'm still blown away that Kacmarek was taken in the 3rd round, pretty astounding for a TE that doesn't offer much in the receiving part of the game. You know I wanted him bad, but I figured he would have gone around where we got Royer or the other guy. Good for him.
-
I'm out of cyber fanny pats today; but the good news is you don't need the heebeegeebees of me touching your ass ruining your morning. I forgot to mention - I'm really pumped about this draft strengthening the WR and the TE positions. If we're younger at OT, we needed to add some TEs to their outside shoulders that can also block - and I think we did that yesterday.
I'm still blown away that Kacmarek was taken in the 3rd round, pretty astounding for a TE that doesn't offer much in the receiving part of the game. You know I wanted him bad, but I figured he would have gone around where we got Royer or the other guy. Good for him.
I'm still blown away that Kacmarek was taken in the 3rd round, pretty astounding for a TE that doesn't offer much in the receiving part of the game. You know I wanted him bad, but I figured he would have gone around where we got Royer or the other guy. Good for him.
Yeah, that was a GREAT idea you had with him Dutch. He probably does offer good hands. My guess is the other options to throw to at Ohio State were Jeremiah Smith, Carnell Tate, Bo Jackson and Max Klare giving him far less opportunity to show off his hands.
-
I'm still blown away that Kacmarek was taken in the 3rd round, pretty astounding for a TE that doesn't offer much in the receiving part of the game. You know I wanted him bad, but I figured he would have gone around where we got Royer or the other guy. Good for him.
Yeah, that was a GREAT idea you had with him Dutch. He probably does offer good hands. My guess is the other options to throw to at Ohio State were Jeremiah Smith, Carnell Tate, Bo Jackson and Max Klare giving him far less opportunity to show off his hands.
Yeah, that was a GREAT idea you had with him Dutch. He probably does offer good hands. My guess is the other options to throw to at Ohio State were Jeremiah Smith, Carnell Tate, Bo Jackson and Max Klare giving him far less opportunity to show off his hands.
There are a ton of mouths to feed down in Columbus.
My only problem I had with the draft is I felt Berry wasn't aggressive enough getting better OLinemen after Fano... I felt there were better guys than Barber and Brailsford on Day 3 they should have targeted, but who knows, maybe they really like Barber for example more than most. Brailsford reminds me a little too much of Nick Harris, who was too small to ever be a legit starting candidate at center.
-
Yeah, that was a GREAT idea you had with him Dutch. He probably does offer good hands. My guess is the other options to throw to at Ohio State were Jeremiah Smith, Carnell Tate, Bo Jackson and Max Klare giving him far less opportunity to show off his hands.
There are a ton of mouths to feed down in Columbus.
My only problem I had with the draft is I felt Berry wasn't aggressive enough getting better OLinemen after Fano... I felt there were better guys than Barber and Brailsford on Day 3 they should have targeted, but who knows, maybe they really like Barber for example more than most. Brailsford reminds me a little too much of Nick Harris, who was too small to ever be a legit starting candidate at center.
There are a ton of mouths to feed down in Columbus.
My only problem I had with the draft is I felt Berry wasn't aggressive enough getting better OLinemen after Fano... I felt there were better guys than Barber and Brailsford on Day 3 they should have targeted, but who knows, maybe they really like Barber for example more than most. Brailsford reminds me a little too much of Nick Harris, who was too small to ever be a legit starting candidate at center.
I wish I saw more Florida games now that we drafted Barber; but the 2 or so I watched - I don't remember him being bad at all. In Athlon's Draft guide I have that rates ALL the tackles (instead of specifying right or left - hate that) - he's the 11th rated OTackle with a 4th round projection. Lindy's does it the same way (grouping them as OTackles only) and he's 21st ranked with a 6th round projection. As we can see there's quite a variance in his rankings like I'm seeing with some of our thoughts in here. Since the Browns took him as early as round 3 - here's something good to see I suppose in the cut and paste below:
-
There are a ton of mouths to feed down in Columbus.
My only problem I had with the draft is I felt Berry wasn't aggressive enough getting better OLinemen after Fano... I felt there were better guys than Barber and Brailsford on Day 3 they should have targeted, but who knows, maybe they really like Barber for example more than most. Brailsford reminds me a little too much of Nick Harris, who was too small to ever be a legit starting candidate at center.
I wish I saw more Florida games now that we drafted Barber; but the 2 or so I watched - I don't remember him being bad at all. In Athlon's Draft guide I have that rates ALL the tackles (instead of specifying right or left - hate that) - he's the 11th rated OTackle with a 4th round projection. Lindy's does it the same way (grouping them as OTackles only) and he's 21st ranked with a 6th round projection. As we can see there's quite a variance in his rankings like I'm seeing with some of our thoughts in here. Since the Browns took him as early as round 3 - here's something good to see I suppose in the cut and paste below:
I wish I saw more Florida games now that we drafted Barber; but the 2 or so I watched - I don't remember him being bad at all. In Athlon's Draft guide I have that rates ALL the tackles (instead of specifying right or left - hate that) - he's the 11th rated OTackle with a 4th round projection. Lindy's does it the same way (grouping them as OTackles only) and he's 21st ranked with a 6th round projection. As we can see there's quite a variance in his rankings like I'm seeing with some of our thoughts in here. Since the Browns took him as early as round 3 - here's something good to see I suppose in the cut and paste below:
From what I've heard and read it seems like Barber is a great candidate to move inside as a guard if he becomes a starter, or perhaps he becomes our backup/swing tackle.
-
Yeah, that was a GREAT idea you had with him Dutch. He probably does offer good hands. My guess is the other options to throw to at Ohio State were Jeremiah Smith, Carnell Tate, Bo Jackson and Max Klare giving him far less opportunity to show off his hands.
There are a ton of mouths to feed down in Columbus.
My only problem I had with the draft is I felt Berry wasn't aggressive enough getting better OLinemen after Fano... I felt there were better guys than Barber and Brailsford on Day 3 they should have targeted, but who knows, maybe they really like Barber for example more than most. Brailsford reminds me a little too much of Nick Harris, who was too small to ever be a legit starting candidate at center.
felt there were better guys than Barber and Brailsford on Day 3 they should have targeted
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/2026/rounds/3 here's the 3rd.. we had pick 70..
IMO, (the if's)
Losing Markell Bell 2 picks prior, berry decided to pivot & move back to #74..
Georgia (Monken)TE Oscar Delp get's taken 73.. (Bell & Delp had 30 team visits) so that crashes those 2 parties
Berry takes the future 4th moves to 86 NYG
So if their thought was/is to move Barber to Guard or swing Tackle?
You nailed your thoughts they had better guys sitting on the board after they picked Barber (Or added ammo/ to move up) .. See 5 OL Barber needs to be better than in link
While I'm still pulling my already grey hair out.. ? The 5th round ?
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/2026/rounds/5
If Berry thought losing Hecht 2 slots before having to settle on Brailford to play center was bad? Than,
Losing Monken's FB/TE from Indiana (Nowakowski) by 1 pick really had to suck . AB's pivot was to take Royer the pick after..
Anywho? 148 was traded for a SEA 4th.. Screw that!
1 ) Use it to get Hecht as your center
2) Instead of LB? take Nowakowski at 149
3) Pick 170 -- Wouldn't have cared ..Height & Nowakowski we're in your pocket.. trade it ! now go LB/CB?
Yep! The if's.. always easier now than,then ..
-
felt there were better guys than Barber and Brailsford on Day 3 they should have targeted
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/2026/rounds/3 here's the 3rd.. we had pick 70..
IMO, (the if's)
Losing Markell Bell 2 picks prior, berry decided to pivot & move back to #74..
Georgia (Monken)TE Oscar Delp get's taken 73.. (Bell & Delp had 30 team visits) so that crashes those 2 parties
Berry takes the future 4th moves to 86 NYG
So if their thought was/is to move Barber to Guard or swing Tackle?
You nailed your thoughts they had better guys sitting on the board after they picked Barber (Or added ammo/ to move up) .. See 5 OL Barber needs to be better than in link
While I'm still pulling my already grey hair out.. ? The 5th round ?
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/2026/rounds/5
If Berry thought losing Hecht 2 slots before having to settle on Brailford to play center was bad? Than,
Losing Monken's FB/TE from Indiana (Nowakowski) by 1 pick really had to suck . AB's pivot was to take Royer the pick after..
Anywho? 148 was traded for a SEA 4th.. Screw that!
1 ) Use it to get Hecht as your center
2) Instead of LB? take Nowakowski at 149
3) Pick 170 -- Wouldn't have cared ..Height & Nowakowski we're in your pocket.. trade it ! now go LB/CB?
Yep! The if's.. always easier now than,then ..
If Berry thought losing Hecht 2 slots before having to settle on Brailford to play center was bad?
I was all in on Hecht for the Browns on my stupid mock draft. After, I looked into it - though
Best pick: Kansas State C Sam Hecht
After moving around the draft board, the Panthers ended up with the 144th pick early in the fifth round. They used it on Kansas State center Sam Hecht. He was considered by a lot of draft analysts to be no worse than the second-best center in this class.
that is the part that I was thinking.....but then
"
Here are three things to get to know the new Browns' center.
1. High value draft pick
According to the consensus boards, Brailsford was slated as the number two-ranked center and was projected to be a third-round pick, and Cleveland got him in the fifth round. Over his career, he has shown all of the natural abilities needed to be successful at the position."
"Parker Brailsford was the No. 2 center on PFSN’s consensus big board.
2. Best ability is availability
Durability, again, is the name of the game for all of Cleveland's draft picks. The Browns have continually battled injuries year after year. Yes, they are all part of the game, and they are going to happen, but Brailsford is yet another in their list of draft picks who maxed out the number of games that they could have played.
He appeared in 15 games in his freshman year at center and guard for Washington before transferring to Alabama and playing in all 27 of his games. In that time, he allowed just two sacks from the center position.
3. Undersized, but very athletic
Brailsford is very undersized for his position and for an NFL offensive line, period. He stands at 6'2" and weighs in at just 289 pounds. That's not always a horrible thing for centers as they can use their leverage against bigger guys, but it is definitely a negative.
What is positive is that, again, like the other draft picks, Brailsford is extremely athletic. He tested out as an 8.65 RAS and is one of the more athletic offensive linemen in this class.
calls him “a natural” at the position.
********************************************************************
The Browns just got the steal of the NFL draft with Alabama center Parker Brailsford
*************************
so, I was no longer disgusted - Berry knew what he was doing, apparently !
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
