Draft so you can win more games
-
I don’t believe there is a tackle in this group worthy of a top 10 pick. Road grader in the run game and capable on an island in pass protection. Maybe you have a few Will Campbells that played well in certain areas and but still struggled a little. And I’m not taking a future guard at 6 and I’d prefer a blindside protector in the top 10 although these teams move their ace (Myles Garrett) around like we do.
You take your Will Campbell types at 24 not at 6.
-
I don’t believe there is a tackle in this group worthy of a top 10 pick. Road grader in the run game and capable on an island in pass protection. Maybe you have a few Will Campbells that played well in certain areas and but still struggled a little. And I’m not taking a future guard at 6 and I’d prefer a blindside protector in the top 10 although these teams move their ace (Myles Garrett) around like we do.
You take your Will Campbell types at 24 not at 6.
I don’t believe there is a tackle in this group worthy of a top 10 pick. Road grader in the run game and capable on an island in pass protection. Maybe you have a few Will Campbells that played well in certain areas and but still struggled a little. And I’m not taking a future guard at 6 and I’d prefer a blindside protector in the top 10 although these teams move their ace (Myles Garrett) around like we do.
You take your Will Campbell types at 24 not at 6.
Probably true ! Campbell had some serious weaknesses, most notably later movement, making his selection a big reach. Lomu and Fano do too, which is helping Monroe Freeling move up a lot of teams' draft boards. With the RT fa signing.... how cool would it be to trade down with Dallas, and have three first round picks?
Here, a writer is talking Freeling with the sixth pick !
https://sports.yahoo.com/articles/did-favorite-option-emerge-browns-110207733.html
-
I don’t believe there is a tackle in this group worthy of a top 10 pick. Road grader in the run game and capable on an island in pass protection. Maybe you have a few Will Campbells that played well in certain areas and but still struggled a little. And I’m not taking a future guard at 6 and I’d prefer a blindside protector in the top 10 although these teams move their ace (Myles Garrett) around like we do.
You take your Will Campbell types at 24 not at 6.
I don’t believe there is a tackle in this group worthy of a top 10 pick. Road grader in the run game and capable on an island in pass protection. Maybe you have a few Will Campbells that played well in certain areas and but still struggled a little. And I’m not taking a future guard at 6 and I’d prefer a blindside protector in the top 10 although these teams move their ace (Myles Garrett) around like we do.
You take your Will Campbell types at 24 not at 6.
There's a little difference between Lomu and Freeling and Campbell.
Lomu and Freeling aren't considered elite LTackle prospects. I do think both have the ability to be above average starting LTs.
There was a lot of people predraft that thought Campbell wasn't even a LT but should play guard. The Pats took a guy high that a lot of people didn't even think would be a long-term LT.
-
I don’t believe there is a tackle in this group worthy of a top 10 pick. Road grader in the run game and capable on an island in pass protection. Maybe you have a few Will Campbells that played well in certain areas and but still struggled a little. And I’m not taking a future guard at 6 and I’d prefer a blindside protector in the top 10 although these teams move their ace (Myles Garrett) around like we do.
You take your Will Campbell types at 24 not at 6.
There's a little difference between Lomu and Freeling and Campbell.
Lomu and Freeling aren't considered elite LTackle prospects. I do think both have the ability to be above average starting LTs.
There was a lot of people predraft that thought Campbell wasn't even a LT but should play guard. The Pats took a guy high that a lot of people didn't even think would be a long-term LT.
The Pats took a guy hard that a lot of people didn't even think would be a long-term LT.
Myles had 6 sacks as I recall.
Late next week is the start of FA. What they're able to accomplish during FA will determine what they can do in the draft. Ideally you'd like to be able to pick the BPA. But for us, we've got vacancies on the OL and one of the worst WR groups in the league. So if the object is to win more games, then those two areas absolutely need to be addressed. We just traded a 5th round pick for on OLineman. Great start! We're going to want some veterans on the OL. We certainly don't want to have to draft an entire OL. I'd like to see FA bring us at least one more starting OLineman. If we can also add a reliable WR then the draft might open up a bit for us.
We just got an early start to the draft by turning a 5th rounder into a starting OLineman. And since he's a seasoned starter it's kind of an early start to FA also.
-
I don’t believe there is a tackle in this group worthy of a top 10 pick. Road grader in the run game and capable on an island in pass protection. Maybe you have a few Will Campbells that played well in certain areas and but still struggled a little. And I’m not taking a future guard at 6 and I’d prefer a blindside protector in the top 10 although these teams move their ace (Myles Garrett) around like we do.
You take your Will Campbell types at 24 not at 6.
There's a little difference between Lomu and Freeling and Campbell.
Lomu and Freeling aren't considered elite LTackle prospects. I do think both have the ability to be above average starting LTs.
There was a lot of people predraft that thought Campbell wasn't even a LT but should play guard. The Pats took a guy high that a lot of people didn't even think would be a long-term LT.
There's a little difference between Lomu and Freeling and Campbell.
Lomu and Freeling aren't considered elite LTackle prospects. I do think both have the ability to be above average starting LTs.
There was a lot of people predraft that thought Campbell wasn't even a LT but should play guard. The Pats took a guy high that a lot of people didn't even think would be a long-term LT.
Well said! Regardless of Left or Right Tackle - would a STUD like Blake Miller have been slated for UPPER Round 1 after just his soph year? Probably not; BUT I could see him projected as a LATE 1st Round to anywhere in Round 2 or possibly early Round 3; so he stayed and completed 4 Years as a starter. That impresses me to no end. A 4 year starter at a program like Clemson. I wouldn't mind it 1 iota if we drafted him and kicked Tytus Howard inside to OG.
The point is I can see you understand Lomu isn't where he's gonna be. That said, he's got tremendous footwork in pass pro on the edge. He frustrates the hell out of edge rushers (1 after another) in the sense they can't shed him. Why? His lateral footwork/base is VERY polished and smooth. I watched a video where the narrator noticed was in aw of his placement which doesn't happen if his footwork is a mess. I could tell he was never an OL but I enjoyed his presentation I can go back and find it if you want it. The 1 thing he did say is that Lomu needs to add a little more power/strength/weight. I LIKED that this guy sees what I see in him meaning this is all inevitable stuff a hard working guy like Lomu would have added at Utah if he stayed to complete the final 2 years of eligibility instead of entering the draft. Remember, the draft isn't about what's in the rear view mirror - it's about what's ahead. I'd be happy with Lomu or Freeling; but I think a mid-round run on OTs is going to have both gone before pick #24.
If I'm wrong, Silly Goose Sours on Flugel...
-
-
I like Ty Simpson. I was probably the first person on here to bring him up, and I did it multiple times. I was intrigued, but he has mediocre size and all of 15 career college starts. It doesn't sit well with me that he came out this draft with such limited experience, makes me feel like he doesn't want to compete with what should be a much better '27 QB class.
The Browns are smart to bring him in, if only to give teams the impression they are interested in him. In a draft where their two big needs - WR and OLinemen (tackles specifically) do not have any slam dunk candidates (but both groups are relatively deep, especially WRs) it makes sense to make other teams wonder if we might take him. I'm sure the Browns would love to trade down from #6 if possible if they are targeting OLine and WRs.
But if they did draft him, it would be such a bad decision. Simpson needs to go to a team with a good QB room, somewhere that has an established starter and he can sit for a couple of seasons. The Rams would be a fantastic landing spot for him.
-
I like Ty Simpson. I was probably the first person on here to bring him up, and I did it multiple times. I was intrigued, but he has mediocre size and all of 15 career college starts. It doesn't sit well with me that he came out this draft with such limited experience, makes me feel like he doesn't want to compete with what should be a much better '27 QB class.
The Browns are smart to bring him in, if only to give teams the impression they are interested in him. In a draft where their two big needs - WR and OLinemen (tackles specifically) do not have any slam dunk candidates (but both groups are relatively deep, especially WRs) it makes sense to make other teams wonder if we might take him. I'm sure the Browns would love to trade down from #6 if possible if they are targeting OLine and WRs.
But if they did draft him, it would be such a bad decision. Simpson needs to go to a team with a good QB room, somewhere that has an established starter and he can sit for a couple of seasons. The Rams would be a fantastic landing spot for him.
The Rams would be a fantastic landing spot for him.
Simpson looks like Cleveland
Klubnik looks like LA
-
I like Ty Simpson. I was probably the first person on here to bring him up, and I did it multiple times. I was intrigued, but he has mediocre size and all of 15 career college starts. It doesn't sit well with me that he came out this draft with such limited experience, makes me feel like he doesn't want to compete with what should be a much better '27 QB class.
The Browns are smart to bring him in, if only to give teams the impression they are interested in him. In a draft where their two big needs - WR and OLinemen (tackles specifically) do not have any slam dunk candidates (but both groups are relatively deep, especially WRs) it makes sense to make other teams wonder if we might take him. I'm sure the Browns would love to trade down from #6 if possible if they are targeting OLine and WRs.
But if they did draft him, it would be such a bad decision. Simpson needs to go to a team with a good QB room, somewhere that has an established starter and he can sit for a couple of seasons. The Rams would be a fantastic landing spot for him.
I was intrigued, but he has mediocre size and all of 15 career college starts. It doesn't sit well with me
The thing that bothers me is that new HC's tend to want 'their' new QB. He can't have Fernando because we won the final two games of the season...but is he wanting Simpson as the consolation prize? Perhaps you're right and it's a smoke screen.
-
I was intrigued, but he has mediocre size and all of 15 career college starts. It doesn't sit well with me
The thing that bothers me is that new HC's tend to want 'their' new QB. He can't have Fernando because we won the final two games of the season...but is he wanting Simpson as the consolation prize? Perhaps you're right and it's a smoke screen.
The thing that bothers me is that new HC's tend to want 'their' new QB. He can't have Fernando because we won the final two games of the season...but is he wanting Simpson as the consolation prize? Perhaps you're right and it's a smoke screen.
I think something none of us are considering is it isn't guaranteed that Berry is secure with his job.
If you were a GM whose future is possibly tenuous, would you use one of the first round picks on a QB who might be seasons away from being able to produce at the NFL level, or use that pick on someone who can step in immediately and contribute?
-
The thing that bothers me is that new HC's tend to want 'their' new QB. He can't have Fernando because we won the final two games of the season...but is he wanting Simpson as the consolation prize? Perhaps you're right and it's a smoke screen.
I think something none of us are considering is it isn't guaranteed that Berry is secure with his job.
If you were a GM whose future is possibly tenuous, would you use one of the first round picks on a QB who might be seasons away from being able to produce at the NFL level, or use that pick on someone who can step in immediately and contribute?
I think something none of us are considering is it isn't guaranteed that Berry is secure with his job.
If you were a GM whose future is possibly tenuous, would you use one of the first round picks on a QB who might be seasons away from being able to produce at the NFL level, or use that pick on someone who can step in immediately and contribute?
That's a good point. Berry has got to continue his draft hot streak.
And then there's the Joker of the deck...Jimmuh. Is it possible that he's not satisfied having SheDufus (as ballpeen calls him) as the face of the team? He's already referred to Watson as a Swing and a Miss. And I truly doubt he's enamored with the midget.
You'd like to think that cooler heads would prevail. Like, we're saddled with Watson and his contract this year. Let's try and trade back, gain some capital that can be used next year for a QB in case neither Sanders or Watson prove to be the long term answer. But we have a Joker for an owner, a desperate GM and a new HC.
-
-
Yes...if you think a guy is generational talent you most probably pick him.
-
As of today I’m going with either LT Caleb Lomu or Morgan Freeling with the first pick (hopefully after moving down a wee bit) and with the second first rounder WR Denzel Boston or Omar Cooper.
-
As of today I’m going with either LT Caleb Lomu or Morgan Freeling with the first pick (hopefully after moving down a wee bit) and with the second first rounder WR Denzel Boston or Omar Cooper.
As of today I’m going with either LT Caleb Lomu or Morgan Freeling with the first pick (hopefully after moving down a wee bit) and with the second first rounder WR Denzel Boston or Omar Cooper.
As our 2nd 1st rounder I'm taking the more versatile quick twitch K.C. Concepcion who also returns punts and KOs. Fills more needs and burns teams ATC.
-
As of today I’m going with either LT Caleb Lomu or Morgan Freeling with the first pick (hopefully after moving down a wee bit) and with the second first rounder WR Denzel Boston or Omar Cooper.
As our 2nd 1st rounder I'm taking the more versatile quick twitch K.C. Concepcion who also returns punts and KOs. Fills more needs and burns teams ATC.
As our 2nd 1st rounder I'm taking the more versatile quick twitch K.C. Concepcion who also returns punts and KOs. Fills more needs and burns teams ATC.
I'd love this.... or a guard. You know I've been on the KC bandwagon for months now.
-
As our 2nd 1st rounder I'm taking the more versatile quick twitch K.C. Concepcion who also returns punts and KOs. Fills more needs and burns teams ATC.
I'd love this.... or a guard. You know I've been on the KC bandwagon for months now.
I'd love this.... or a guard. You know I've been on the KC bandwagon for months now.
Agree with you and Aggies. I want more BIG bastards than Cher for obviously different reasons. The good thing about OG is there is an abundance and you can usually draft good ones in rounds 2-5. Think about it - College Centers or Offensive Tackles (ie: Joel Bitonio & Super Bowl Champion STARTING RG for the Rams - Austin Corbett who was later extended by Carolina to remain a starter there as well) can also be drafted to play OG expanding the supply inventory. Right now, draft analysts are still bringing up that Miami of O-you thought I was gonna say Ohio but it's of Florida's Francis Mauigoa could kick inside due to shorter arms. Would have been nice to see how he moves laterally at the combines but he's a 1st round lock anyway so not necessary. The guy can RUN block and if he has Tackle on his outside shoulder - it sure lessens the ergonomics and space required for easier pass pro. NOW, is he a better OG than Penn State's Olaivavega Iaone or Oregano's Emmanuel Pregnon? (That's not a speelcheker mistake just me being an overcaffeinated ID-10T). At 348 lbs the quick footed Iaone could really John Deere tractor up some inside running room. That wouldn't suck at all. We need Guards and Tackles.
-
As of today I’m going with either LT Caleb Lomu or Morgan Freeling with the first pick (hopefully after moving down a wee bit) and with the second first rounder WR Denzel Boston or Omar Cooper.
As our 2nd 1st rounder I'm taking the more versatile quick twitch K.C. Concepcion who also returns punts and KOs. Fills more needs and burns teams ATC.
As our 2nd 1st rounder I'm taking the more versatile quick twitch K.C. Concepcion who also returns punts and KOs. Fills more needs and burns teams ATC.
It would be nice to put his speed on the perimeter of our passing game -or- as that return man who can restore the electricity Eric Metcalf and Josh Cribbs treated us to in the return game here...
-
As of today I’m going with either LT Caleb Lomu or Morgan Freeling with the first pick (hopefully after moving down a wee bit) and with the second first rounder WR Denzel Boston or Omar Cooper.
As our 2nd 1st rounder I'm taking the more versatile quick twitch K.C. Concepcion who also returns punts and KOs. Fills more needs and burns teams ATC.
As our 2nd 1st rounder I'm taking the more versatile quick twitch K.C. Concepcion
Ya know, I've been fearing all along that we're going to wind up with him....and I don't really want him. He had 7 drops this season. He did however, run a good gauntlet at the combine...but he didn't run the 40.
-
The Rams would be a fantastic landing spot for him.
Simpson looks like Cleveland
Klubnik looks like LA
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login