Skip to content

Trevor Hoffman

The Tribe Board
14 5 1.2k
  • I finally started diving into the sabermetric world this year, and there's some very interesting stuff, big fan of the site FanGraphs. But I kind of don't even want to understand that pitch FX business.... 🤔

  • Yeah, I'm with ya. I enjoy the look at how often someone throws a certain pitch and the success rate of that kinda thing, but the in-depth stuff makes my head swim. There are some things that are glaring when looking at a guy year-to-year, but a lot of it is noise.

    Beanpot

  • BTW, tread easy in that sabermetric world. There are a bunch of terrific people in that end of the pool but there are also more than a few dicks who are going to dunk your head underwater if you don't believe their words are gospel.

    Beanpot

    AnotherBTW - double play - are you SERIOUS!!!

    yeah, that'll make no sense to anyone who reads this down the road

  • Ohhhhhh, what a game! Epic. Listening to the Twins feed with TBS muted. Jesus, what a play at the plate.

    Beanpot

  • Hoffman has a nasty changeup, which makes the batters corkscrew themselves into the ground.

  • Cool thanks for the info. Didn't know that about him. Imagine if he threw in the mid 90's too. I saw him pitch a couple games last year and I was like "I could hit this fool". Yea right, I guess I'm full of shit.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Keep hitters late or on the front foot and you can win, and you can do that with fairly pedestrian speed.

    So very true, Russ, and welcome back! Hope you had a good trip north. You at least saw a competitive game, bud.

    While I think Hoffman has known how to pitch for quite some time, his pitchfx charts show that are some subtle (and some not so subtle) differences in the horizontal and vertical movement of his pitches.

    In particular, here are two graphs showing both movements over the past three years:

    1035_P_2_20090926.png

    1035_P_3_20090926.png

    Beanpot

    @beanpot said:

    So very true, Russ, and welcome back! Hope you had a good trip north. You at least saw a competitive game, bud.

    While I think Hoffman has known how to pitch for quite some time, his pitchfx charts show that are some subtle (and some not so subtle) differences in the horizontal and vertical movement of his pitches.

    In particular, here are two graphs showing both movements over the past three years:

    1035_P_2_20090926.png

    1035_P_3_20090926.png

    Beanpot

    Wow...i don't know what to say about that stuff...looks like the art you could make at the country fair where you squirted different paints on a spinning board.

    I guess I am just a old timer...don't throw to the level or spot twice in a row and don't bring it in at the same speed twice in a row.

    Make them guess height, in or out, and speed on every pitch.....unless you are that rare guy like Feller, Kofax, or Ryan and could just stick it in their face and say "Here it is, now hit it".

    If you beat them on 1 of 3, you have a chance, 2 of 3 and you can win big time, 3 of 3.....you dominate.

  • @beanpot said:

    So very true, Russ, and welcome back! Hope you had a good trip north. You at least saw a competitive game, bud.

    While I think Hoffman has known how to pitch for quite some time, his pitchfx charts show that are some subtle (and some not so subtle) differences in the horizontal and vertical movement of his pitches.

    In particular, here are two graphs showing both movements over the past three years:

    1035_P_2_20090926.png

    1035_P_3_20090926.png

    Beanpot

    Wow...i don't know what to say about that stuff...looks like the art you could make at the country fair where you squirted different paints on a spinning board.

    I guess I am just a old timer...don't throw to the level or spot twice in a row and don't bring it in at the same speed twice in a row.

    Make them guess height, in or out, and speed on every pitch.....unless you are that rare guy like Feller, Kofax, or Ryan and could just stick it in their face and say "Here it is, now hit it".

    If you beat them on 1 of 3, you have a chance, 2 of 3 and you can win big time, 3 of 3.....you dominate.

    @ballpeen said:

    Wow...i don't know what to say about that stuff...looks like the art you could make at the country fair where you squirted different paints on a spinning board.

    I guess I am just a old timer...don't throw to the level or spot twice in a row and don't bring it in at the same speed twice in a row.

    Old-timer my ass, those charts show exactly what you're talking about - velocity and location. Same exact thing you've taught for ages, just kinda glorified with some fancy pixellation. What you speak continues to be the truth and these are just representations of that truth.

    BTW, I don't know if you're an old-timer or not, but you know the hell out of the sport regardless of any label.

    Beanpot

  • Thanks....give me a link to those charts..I am not sure what I am looking at.

    Is 0 some baseline...like right down the middle and say at the belt??

    Does the negative number reflect low or in??

    On the pitch selection...what is 'in" and "fc"

  • Here's a general link to Hoffman's page on fangraphs. Play around with the tabs below his name (graphs, advanced, pitch type and the like) to see all of the stuff they monitor. They're pretty in-depth, bud. Think you'll like it. Also be sure to check out the blog link, really interesting stuff being discussed on a daily basis:

    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

    Beanpot