Skip to content

Anti Replay Again

The Browns Board
13 9 1.9k
  • Guys, I know in the recent thread titled "The Measurement," many discussed the controversial officiating regarding the Browns/Pitt game.

    I have been anti-replay since it's inception, and here comes another reason why: last night's Denver/SD game.

    Did any of you guys notice that replay didn't work yet again? On what turned out to be icing on the cake for the Broncos, the officials blew the call that resulted in the final TD in a 34-23 win. There is no way that call should have stood, the receiver never had that ball in his possession in the end zone, the plane of the end zone, goal line, whatever you want to call it.I believe even the most devout Bronco fan would admit that. Call of a TD should have been overturned by replay...of course, it wasn't, WTF.

    The proper call would have put the ball inside the 1 yard line, setting up an interesting 4th and goal call.

    Officiating in the NFL is in serious decline since replay started, IMHO.

  • that's because the refs know they don't have to get the call right and can depend on replay to save their asses. sometimes they aren't saved however.

  • that's because the refs know they don't have to get the call right and can depend on replay to save their asses. sometimes they aren't saved however.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    that's because the refs know they don't have to get the call right and can depend on replay to save their asses. sometimes they aren't saved however.

    But how do you explain the officiating before they took instant replay away and allow it to be only used by the challenge flag or in the end of the halfs? They used to use replay alot before that happened and I didn't think the officiating was that lackadaisical then. They did a decent job then but I'm not saying they were perfect or ever will be. Human error is allow sticking around....like those damn gravity traps. But there has to be another reason for their lack of attention or desire to officiate a solid game anymore. There always seems to be calls that are missed these past couple of years. How long before they over turned the field goal last year that hit the main pole of the goal post before they said it was good? There were 2 refs standing there and they didn't know what to do so they called it no good.

    Anyone know the credentials you need to be a ref in the NFL? I know it's pretty strict to be an umpire at all levels of play. I had my hand in that for years myself.

  • I'll say again....replay would not have helped us. The refs saw it was short, the players saw it was short, the coaches saw it was short...it was not a 'blown call' it was a shady call.

    As for the MNF game...you are absolutely correct. There is no way that is a touchdown. The ball was at least a full foot outside of the endzone when the runner's knee was down AND he was touched in the back by the Charger's defender. Utter BS...something stinks in this league

  • I think the entire game would be so much better if the rule stated that you had to plant that ball into the end zone, not break the plane, hit the pylon, or controversy "was he in or wasn't he?". You should have to physically put that bad boy in the end zone and plant your ass there, down it, and leave no question about it.

    Same thing with being down, none of this sissy touch a guy while his knee is touching, you should have to physically pin that guy to the ground.

    That is how it was in the Jim Brown days ... screw replays, play the freaking game in blood, guts and tears. Not booths, red flags, and replays.

  • I'll say again....replay would not have helped us. The refs saw it was short, the players saw it was short, the coaches saw it was short...it was not a 'blown call' it was a shady call.

    As for the MNF game...you are absolutely correct. There is no way that is a touchdown. The ball was at least a full foot outside of the endzone when the runner's knee was down AND he was touched in the back by the Charger's defender. Utter BS...something stinks in this league

    @blowe said:

    The ball was at least a full foot outside of the endzone when the runner's knee was down AND he was touched in the back by the Charger's defender. Utter BS...something stinks in this league

    except that if you knew the rule, you'd know that a knee doesn't have to be down for it to be a TD. the ball needs to cross the plane, while both feet are down. thats all......he caught the ball at the line with both feet down....then fell forward out of the end zone.

  • @blowe said:

    The ball was at least a full foot outside of the endzone when the runner's knee was down AND he was touched in the back by the Charger's defender. Utter BS...something stinks in this league

    except that if you knew the rule, you'd know that a knee doesn't have to be down for it to be a TD. the ball needs to cross the plane, while both feet are down. thats all......he caught the ball at the line with both feet down....then fell forward out of the end zone.

    @choco said:

    except that if you knew the rule, you'd know that a knee doesn't have to be down for it to be a TD. the ball needs to cross the plane, while both feet are down. thats all......he caught the ball at the line with both feet down....then fell forward out of the end zone.

    Are you talking about the same play I am? I'm talking about the Monday night game, not the Browns game. The Denver player's knee was down, the ball had not crossed the goal line, and a chargers defender had touched him down. That=no touchdown

  • @choco said:

    except that if you knew the rule, you'd know that a knee doesn't have to be down for it to be a TD. the ball needs to cross the plane, while both feet are down. thats all......he caught the ball at the line with both feet down....then fell forward out of the end zone.

    Are you talking about the same play I am? I'm talking about the Monday night game, not the Browns game. The Denver player's knee was down, the ball had not crossed the goal line, and a chargers defender had touched him down. That=no touchdown

    @blowe said:

    Are you talking about the same play I am? I'm talking about the Monday night game, not the Browns game. The Denver player's knee was down, the ball had not crossed the goal line, and a chargers defender had touched him down. That=no touchdown

    no man, im sorry but you're wrong. Stokley had possession of the ball across the plane of the goal line. By rule that is a TD no matter where he lands. The play is ruled over once that occurs, plain and simple. Could you argue that he didn't have complete posession until he hit the ground? Maybe, but it's clear the ball was across the plane when he caught. Look at it again, that part is pretty clear.

    It's the same thing as that santonio holmes catch last year if you remember. Same rule, and maybe it shouldn't be but it was the correct call.

    to the OP: Think about that and realize the refs got it RIGHT on the field. the refs do a great job in the NFL i think, the best refs in all the major sports by far.

  • @blowe said:

    Are you talking about the same play I am? I'm talking about the Monday night game, not the Browns game. The Denver player's knee was down, the ball had not crossed the goal line, and a chargers defender had touched him down. That=no touchdown

    no man, im sorry but you're wrong. Stokley had possession of the ball across the plane of the goal line. By rule that is a TD no matter where he lands. The play is ruled over once that occurs, plain and simple. Could you argue that he didn't have complete posession until he hit the ground? Maybe, but it's clear the ball was across the plane when he caught. Look at it again, that part is pretty clear.

    It's the same thing as that santonio holmes catch last year if you remember. Same rule, and maybe it shouldn't be but it was the correct call.

    to the OP: Think about that and realize the refs got it RIGHT on the field. the refs do a great job in the NFL i think, the best refs in all the major sports by far.

    @jrb12711 said:

    no man, im sorry but you're wrong. Stokley had possession of the ball across the plane of the goal line. By rule that is a TD no matter where he lands. The play is ruled over once that occurs, plain and simple. Could you argue that he didn't have complete posession until he hit the ground? Maybe, but it's clear the ball was across the plane when he caught. Look at it again, that part is pretty clear.

    It's the same thing as that santonio holmes catch last year if you remember. Same rule, and maybe it shouldn't be but it was the correct call.

    to the OP: Think about that and realize the refs got it RIGHT on the field. the refs do a great job in the NFL i think, the best refs in all the major sports by far.

    I don't remember that last night. I don't remember the ball crossing the goal line, but instead of looking it up I'll take your word for it. I can definitely agree with you that the refs in football are better than any other sport....the NBA officials have to be the worst

    In other news, I cannot believe the Broncos are 6-0.......... 😳

  • @jrb12711 said:

    no man, im sorry but you're wrong. Stokley had possession of the ball across the plane of the goal line. By rule that is a TD no matter where he lands. The play is ruled over once that occurs, plain and simple. Could you argue that he didn't have complete posession until he hit the ground? Maybe, but it's clear the ball was across the plane when he caught. Look at it again, that part is pretty clear.

    It's the same thing as that santonio holmes catch last year if you remember. Same rule, and maybe it shouldn't be but it was the correct call.

    to the OP: Think about that and realize the refs got it RIGHT on the field. the refs do a great job in the NFL i think, the best refs in all the major sports by far.

    I don't remember that last night. I don't remember the ball crossing the goal line, but instead of looking it up I'll take your word for it. I can definitely agree with you that the refs in football are better than any other sport....the NBA officials have to be the worst

    In other news, I cannot believe the Broncos are 6-0.......... 😳

    @blowe said:

    I don't remember that last night. I don't remember the ball crossing the goal line, but instead of looking it up I'll take your word for it. I can definitely agree with you that the refs in football are better than any other sport....the NBA officials have to be the worst

    In other news, I cannot believe the Broncos are 6-0.......... 😳

    oh no doubt, but i give the NBA some slack cause they are truly pressured to give calls to superstars. But yea I thought the same thing for sure even last night, but just not watching it on sportscenter I realized it was right.

    And yea i know right about the broncos. Their defense is legit dirty as hell. I also think despite them being undefeated people don't see them as good, idk why. Kyle Orton is 27-12 as a starter, who knew?

  • I always thought that the new replay system was stupid.

  • I think the entire game would be so much better if the rule stated that you had to plant that ball into the end zone, not break the plane, hit the pylon, or controversy "was he in or wasn't he?". You should have to physically put that bad boy in the end zone and plant your ass there, down it, and leave no question about it.

    Same thing with being down, none of this sissy touch a guy while his knee is touching, you should have to physically pin that guy to the ground.

    That is how it was in the Jim Brown days ... screw replays, play the freaking game in blood, guts and tears. Not booths, red flags, and replays.

    @atenears said:

    I think the entire game would be so much better if the rule stated that you had to plant that ball into the end zone, not break the plane, hit the pylon, or controversy "was he in or wasn't he?". You should have to physically put that bad boy in the end zone and plant your ass there, down it, and leave no question about it.

    Same thing with being down, none of this sissy touch a guy while his knee is touching, you should have to physically pin that guy to the ground.

    Yes to all that....and the ground SHOULD BE ABLE to cause a fumble. Cradle it, protect it, otherwise, it's a fumble.

    Some of this replay crap is like watching figure skating....subjective as hell.

  • 6. Pittsburgh Steelers (4-2) (Last week: 7). Football is a game of inches. Except in Pittsburgh, where the officials now round up.

    I saw this on the PFT power rankings and thought I would share

    Link