Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Tribe Board
  3. Shoppach traded to Rays

Shoppach traded to Rays

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Tribe Board
9 Posts 4 Posters 1.1k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • CIMO. C
    • 684 Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    C CIMO. wrote on last edited by CIMO.
    #1

    For a player to be named later (by December 20).

    http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ch_to_rays.html

    I remember last year I was begging for Ricky Nolasco, it will be interesting to see who we get after his (Shoppach's) stock dropped this season.

    The Rays have a few good starters, and gave up Kazmir for nothing trying to cut costs. How nice would it be to take Shields or Garza off their hands? 🤔

    ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • C CIMO.

      For a player to be named later (by December 20).

      http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ch_to_rays.html

      I remember last year I was begging for Ricky Nolasco, it will be interesting to see who we get after his (Shoppach's) stock dropped this season.

      The Rays have a few good starters, and gave up Kazmir for nothing trying to cut costs. How nice would it be to take Shields or Garza off their hands? 🤔

      ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 9k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
      #2

      @cimo. said:

      For a player to be named later (by December 20).

      http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ch_to_rays.html

      I remember last year I was begging for Ricky Nolasco, it will be interesting to see who we get after his (Shoppach's) stock dropped this season.

      The Rays have a few good starters, and gave up Kazmir for nothing trying to cut costs. How nice would it be to take Shields or Garza off their hands? 🤔

      Be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it was a major league player, it would probably be a done deal.

      The 3 week delay probably means we have a list of 3-4 players in their farm system and are given the time to review scouting reports etc. before selecting the player.

      I can't see any real reason why you would delay things that long to name a player on the Rays 25 man roster....it's someone on the 40 or lower.

      Be a good place to start looking....and not at the top 3-4 guys....if you ranked them 1-40....Kelly brings a guy in the 39-40 range, and guys out of the top 5 prospects of the non-rostered players

      JMO, as little as it's worth

      If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
      C 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 9k Posts
        • 2k Reputation
        ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Jake McGee

        If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • ballpeenB ballpeen

          @cimo. said:

          For a player to be named later (by December 20).

          http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ch_to_rays.html

          I remember last year I was begging for Ricky Nolasco, it will be interesting to see who we get after his (Shoppach's) stock dropped this season.

          The Rays have a few good starters, and gave up Kazmir for nothing trying to cut costs. How nice would it be to take Shields or Garza off their hands? 🤔

          Be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it was a major league player, it would probably be a done deal.

          The 3 week delay probably means we have a list of 3-4 players in their farm system and are given the time to review scouting reports etc. before selecting the player.

          I can't see any real reason why you would delay things that long to name a player on the Rays 25 man roster....it's someone on the 40 or lower.

          Be a good place to start looking....and not at the top 3-4 guys....if you ranked them 1-40....Kelly brings a guy in the 39-40 range, and guys out of the top 5 prospects of the non-rostered players

          JMO, as little as it's worth

          CIMO. C
          • 684 Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          C CIMO. wrote on last edited by CIMO.
          #4

          @ballpeen said:

          Be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it was a major league player, it would probably be a done deal.

          The 3 week delay probably means we have a list of 3-4 players in their farm system and are given the time to review scouting reports etc. before selecting the player.

          I can't see any real reason why you would delay things that long to name a player on the Rays 25 man roster....it's someone on the 40 or lower.

          Be a good place to start looking....and not at the top 3-4 guys....if you ranked them 1-40....Kelly brings a guy in the 39-40 range, and guys out of the top 5 prospects of the non-rostered players

          JMO, as little as it's worth

          Agreed. Just wishful thinking before they announce it's a hard-throwing right handed reliever in double-A.

          Jake McGee

          Never heard of him, just looked him up and he seems to fit that bill. Coming off TJ surgery, no less. Good call, Peen.

          ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • C CIMO.

            @ballpeen said:

            Be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it was a major league player, it would probably be a done deal.

            The 3 week delay probably means we have a list of 3-4 players in their farm system and are given the time to review scouting reports etc. before selecting the player.

            I can't see any real reason why you would delay things that long to name a player on the Rays 25 man roster....it's someone on the 40 or lower.

            Be a good place to start looking....and not at the top 3-4 guys....if you ranked them 1-40....Kelly brings a guy in the 39-40 range, and guys out of the top 5 prospects of the non-rostered players

            JMO, as little as it's worth

            Agreed. Just wishful thinking before they announce it's a hard-throwing right handed reliever in double-A.

            Jake McGee

            Never heard of him, just looked him up and he seems to fit that bill. Coming off TJ surgery, no less. Good call, Peen.

            ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 9k Posts
            • 2k Reputation
            ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
            #5

            @cimo. said:

            Agreed. Just wishful thinking before they announce it's a hard-throwing right handed reliever in double-A.

            It might be more than that....it could be a 40 man guy...Kelly has some worth. He can be a good MLB catcher. I don't think the value has dropped as much as you might think.

            The deal with catchers is you still have many teams....the ones in the know IMO....who still feel defensive skills outweigh offensive skills.

            For me, I don't care if the guy can hit .210 if he can work a staff, block a ball, throw out runners and can take 130 games behind the plate.....if you can't win with that, it's not your catchers fault.

            If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • CIMO. C
              • 684 Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              C CIMO. wrote on last edited by CIMO.
              #6

              I agree somewhat, but I don't really think that applies to Kelly. He's never seemed too reliable behind the plate and has a pretty so-so arm. I think the only reason teams would be looking at him and the Rays got him is for his bat, where he can be one of the most productive catchers in the League despite the strikeouts, especially against lefties.

              In terms of pure value, given his talent, teammates (Marson, eventually Santana) and contract status (Shapiro probably would've let him walk without thinking much of it), I think a Jess Todd type prospect would be about right. But since he plays a premium position there might've been a bit of a bidding war, or the Rays just making their best offer first.

              Either way I think it comes down to big upside (ie Perez) or close to big league readiness (ie Yohan Pino).

              Or James Shields.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • ATENEARS ATENEARSA Founder In Memoriam
                • 4k Posts
                • 139 Reputation
                ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Actually I like Shoppach ... yeah, he didn't seize the opportunity last season, but I was real high on the guy prior to last season.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • CIMO. C
                  • 684 Posts
                  • 0 Reputation
                  C CIMO. wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  Mitch Talbot it is. 26 year-old right handed starter, no options remaining. Lastoria has all the info you need, here's the conclusion.

                  Not a Talbot Fan: I’ll be honest, I am not a fan of what the Indians received in this trade at all. I am sure a high percentage of Indians fans feel the same way too. Talbot is just so bland and has so little upside, not to mention he makes an already crowded pitching situation even more crowded with guys who need to make the 25-man roster out of spring or risk being lost. The Indians already have left-hander Jeremy Sowers out of options and need to see if Rule 5 pick right-hander Hector Ambriz can stick, so now they have a third pitcher added to the mix for what looks like one open roster spot in the bullpen. When you have too many choices to choose from, it increases your chance you make a mistake and keep the wrong guy and let the right one go.

                  That all I said, the Indians and Rays essentially completed a deal to trade gunk for gunk. A guy we had no use for in Shoppach that we were going to non-tender that they could maybe use, in return for a guy they had no use for in Talbot and probably were going to designate for assignment at some point that we maybe can find a use for. While I am not happy with what we got in return, I do realize with Shoppach’s small trade value we weren’t getting much of anything of relevance in return anyway. So, I guess it’s better to get something rather than nothing for Shoppach had they non-tendered him as expected.

                  I still would have preferred to pick up a minor leaguer deeper in the Rays system who would offer the Indians much more long term control and some upside. Cruz was that other option, but he was a mid-level prospect at best and has a long way to go before he even establishes himself as much of a big league ready pitcher as Talbot. The key here is the Rays had the control in regard to selecting who the player to be named later would be, and in the end it appears the Indians got the guy they wanted.

                  http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2009...ot-indians.html
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • b86b b86bB
                    • 333 Posts
                    • 15 Reputation
                    b86bB b86b wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    another trade for a injured pitcher???

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply

                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                    Register Login
                    Reply
                    • Reply as topic
                    Log in to reply
                    • Oldest to Newest
                    • Newest to Oldest
                    • Most Votes


                    Theme
                    • System
                    • Light
                    • Dark
                    The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                    The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                    • First post
                      Last post
                    0
                    • Forums
                    • Recent
                    • Popular
                    • Users
                    • Donate