I'm not a life long Browns fan, so of course I have no long-term dog in this fight like those that suffered for years of misery with piss-poor teams over the last decade+.
I wanted to make a few comments.
What you are seeing from Brian Hoyer is what you saw from him in college. Brian had shown his ceiling years ago and people (Browns coaching) chose to believe that he'd be a good game manager.
Look at his MSU college stats. He had a great year in 2007 and still managed just 59.3% completion. He regressed his following year.
**NOTE***
Not sure why, but the table I pasted from wiki showed up as a normal format and was only converted after posting the message...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Hoyer
Of the meaningful snaps he took, I look to AZ where had 53 attempts. Again, the guy is around 56% completion.
Yes, I'm a Johnny homer. I had the privilege to watch just about every game he played in (home and away) while at Texas A&M. The kid is electric and has incredible accuracy while throwing on the run. But more than just that, it is his attitude which is somehow positively infectious to a team. Teammates playing alongside Johnny believe in the kid. They knew that he was going to give 110% to win the game and it pissed him off like no other if he came up short. It genuinely pisses him off and he hates to lose ala Tom Brady. When the defense would stink (which was often), he'd march down the sidelines and fire the team up. He'd tell them to just get one more stop and he'd win the game. A&M was a mediocre to poor team. We should have lost to Arkansas early in the season. We were playing in AT&T Stadium and down multiple touch downs. I watched Johnny go to the sidelines and pump up the team. They responded to him. They rallied back and somehow won that game in overtime down 14 pts in the 4th quarter.
Again, I don't know what it is about this guy, but I fully believe the vets on the Browns team will eventually come around. He is a fiery piss-ant of a competitor and somehow he elevates everyone else's play around him. It's like they want to go out there and be every bit of a bad ass as they can. Of course Johnny wouldn't win every game he is in, but I honestly think Manziel would have won vs the Colts, which probably isn't hard to say given what everyone saw on the offensive side of the ball Sunday.