Of the players you mentioned, how many were pros when he 'dealt' with them? Different guy when he's making more jack than you are. Not the same game, not the same players. Handling pros isn't like handling a bunch of college kids. It just isn't.You've listed 4 coaches who turned out well, while only listing 2 that didn't. I'll bet I can make the 'sucked to high heaven' list a lot longer than the 'guys who were successful making the jump from college directly to NFL HC'. Of the 4 coaches you listed, at least two of them came from big name, SUCCESSFUL programs, neither of which describes Iowa.
GENERALLY speaking, college coaches don't work out. Generally speaking, first time NFL head coaches haven't worked here in CLE.
PS: Please pay more attention to Mangini. You want to look at more than Ferentz win-loss record, while only considering Mangini's W-L record. Mangini has shown a hell of a lot more in the pros than Ferentz has. I'll definitely take him over the guy who's prior experience was 10 years ago in the NFL coaching one of the lines.
It appears we have Lumbergh redux...
Wow. Sorry. Just got back to the computer to see this.....Well, a few things.
1) Why is he a 'different guy' when he's making more money than you? Explain that. Automatically, ALL players that make more money than the coach is difficult to handle?!? Again, more broad strokes from you.
2) I listed those coaches as examples. I'm sure there are more on both sides. I'm just pointing out your overly general comments...which, then, you confirmed later in your own post. Thank you.
3) You don't think Iowa has been successful? 20 bowl games in 25 seasons, five conf. titles, three top 10 finishes in the past 6 years. Nine wins this season with 4 starting seniors....in IOWA! Not Ohio, not Texas, not Notre Dame, not Michigan, not California, not Florida.....I-O-W-A. Think about that.
4) Mangini will be fine. I'm not saying he won't be, just enough with the Ferentz-bashing. It's b.s. We'd be very fortunate to have him. What are we clinging to? The Chris Palmer era? Bring him in.
That's all. I'm done.