@harry-buffalo said:
-1000
I always find it funny that on these boards when someone disagree's with someone they are always seem to have the "experience" and the "job" that should prove people wrong. Not calling you a lair in particular but a lot of people on this board are full of shit. Now I have 9 years of looker room experience and I I have several classes with players at BG and lived across from a suite of 6 of them last year. Out of those 9 years of playing football (peewee through high school) there were only two years were we were not encouraged to aim for peoples injuries or weak spots. Those two years were during Jr. High and our coach then was more interested in telling us to just run some laps so he could run of to the woods to smoke a joint than he was in actually coaching us.
My junior year after my second concussion my coaches were talking about getting me this juggernaut helmet, which was like an extra shell on top of the helmet that we always say these two kids where when we played another team. But we decided against it because all everyone did against those kids were go for head shots, so I just got a modified interior to the helmet.
One year when we were walking into a visiting locker room underneath bleachers and guy from the other teams student section started spitting on us. We had to hold one of our coaches back to keep him from running up there. We figured out who the guy was since our towns were in the same county and a lot of people from our schools knew each other and we found out he joined the football team the next season. I goes without saying our coach told us to make that game hell for him. We were bad with it. Punching soft spots and twisting joints in the pile. At one point one of my friends was jogging behind him down the field and he just straight kidney punched him in front of our sideline and dropped him like a sack of potatoes.
The worst one was when we played Coldwater my Junior year. This is the team the produced the Homan brothers for Ohio State. They always beet the shit out of us and their players were pompous assholes. There was a kid playing DT in the gap between two of my best friends who played Center and RG while I played RT. The kid was garbage and was running his mouth (most of their DL was garbage but when you have Adam Homan at MLB it doesn't really matter). Everytime he would get pancaked he would get up and just start going "Score board!". Well in the huddle I hear my friend at C talking to my friend at RG. Next play we get stopped at the line against but I see this kid at DT waddle off the field crying and my two friends high fiving. The kid never came back out the play the rest of the game. In the locker room my friend at C (who was a captain btw) told me that him and RG double teamed him and knocked him flat on his back and the both grabbed on of his arms and started twists/bending them. My friend who played C put so much pressure on the guys right arm that he literally snapped it and we know he broke his arm because we ran into the guy 6 months later during the county fair and he was talking about the game and how someone broke his arm in a pile (he didn't recognize who did it)
As far with players at BG, I've talked to them about up and coming games and I have talked to some of the DL in particular and they have mentioned gunning for injuries. I know a guy who purposely went head hunting on WR's before they made the rule in college more strict.
So you might have had experience where you never have seen anyone coach to injure, but I sure as hell have and especially with my high school coaches I respect the hell out of them.
When I say I have 20 years of experience, I mean as a coach. At the college, high school, and junior high school levels. And your recollection of your football career is vomit-inducing... just for the record.
"Out of those 9 years of playing football (peewee through high school) there were only two years were we were not encouraged to aim for peoples injuries or weak spots."
A peewee football coach that coaches a child to further injure an already injured child is a criminal, not a football coach. I don't know what kind of redneck hamlet you come from, but not one of those people should be around children.
"My junior year after my second concussion my coaches were talking about getting me this juggernaut helmet, which was like an extra shell on top of the helmet that we always say these two kids where when we played another team. But we decided against it because all everyone did against those kids were go for head shots, so I just got a modified interior to the helmet."
Unless your junior year of high school was 20+ years ago, your coaches are idiots. You can't protect a concussed players brain from banging against the interior of his own skull by modifying the helmet. He sits till he's cleared. We've been preaching that in the OHSAA for at least a decade.
"One year when we were walking into a visiting locker room underneath bleachers and guy from the other teams student section started spitting on us. We had to hold one of our coaches back to keep him from running up there. We figured out who the guy was since our towns were in the same county and a lot of people from our schools knew each other and we found out he joined the football team the next season. I goes without saying our coach told us to make that game hell for him. We were bad with it. Punching soft spots and twisting joints in the pile. At one point one of my friends was jogging behind him down the field and he just straight kidney punched him in front of our sideline and dropped him like a sack of potatoes."
Class move. I don't know about your coach, but my players don't use my field to settle their personal business. And I'm sorry, believe me or not, but the second I saw that kidney punch on film would be your friend's last second on my football team. I'm not about to compromise my reputation, my school's reputation, or the safety of the other 60 kids on the team because one braindead tool has some score to settle with another braindead tool. Coaching jobs don't last forever, and you might always need another one.
"Well in the huddle I hear my friend at C talking to my friend at RG. Next play we get stopped at the line against but I see this kid at DT waddle off the field crying and my two friends high fiving. The kid never came back out the play the rest of the game. In the locker room my friend at C (who was a captain btw) told me that him and RG double teamed him and knocked him flat on his back and the both grabbed on of his arms and started twists/bending them. My friend who played C put so much pressure on the guys right arm that he literally snapped it and we know he broke his arm because we ran into the guy 6 months later during the county fair and he was talking about the game and how someone broke his arm in a pile (he didn't recognize who did it)"
Your friends are mindless thugs who don't belong on a football field. I would hope I'm not the first one to say so. Either you're full of shit, or the Coldwater coaching staff - many of whom I'm familiar with - missed it on the film. And somehow, that kid told no one how he managed to end up with a broken arm. When shit like that happens, people get fired. Programs get disbanded. You don't think that kid knew what happened to him? What do you think we talk about at league meetings and OHSAA clinics? Do you think someone didn't walk up to your coach with a copy of the game film and say "What the fuck are you teaching these kids?" It happens all the time.
I get calls from the head of officials if we have too many personal fouls in a game. I'm pretty sure someone noticed the deliberate snapping of a forearm.
"As far with players at BG, I've talked to them about up and coming games and I have talked to some of the DL in particular and they have mentioned gunning for injuries. I know a guy who purposely went head hunting on WR's before they made the rule in college more strict."
That is the first thing you've said that doesn't surprise me at all. Of course that's true. Young players, especially those at lower level programs, resort to all sorts of tactics to stick. What most of them don't realize, is they're not making a name for themselves. They're just wallowing around putting a bunch of bush league crap on tape that no NFL scout will ever bother to watch.
Even so, I'm all for challenging a guy's ability to play at 100% coming off injury. I've said as much. But the attempt to re-injure? Well that's between you and your maker. Headhunting safeties are a dime a dozen. Usually, they can't play... so they resort to intimidation. At the mid-major level, these are usually guys too small to be linebackers and too slow to be corners, holding a spot until they can get a legit safety who understands and can play the position. Sometimes you go with what gifts you have - limited as they may be. But, in my world, you will play within the rules of the game. If you can't, you can't play for me. It's that simple.
"So you might have had experience where you never have seen anyone coach to injure, but I sure as hell have and especially with my high school coaches I respect the hell out of them."
I don't know who coached you, or what they said. But I have a pretty good idea of what you heard, and it was exactly what you wanted to hear. I'm really sorry that your football experience turned out the way it did. It obviously cost you a part of your basic human empathy. And it should never come to that. Your coaches did you no favors. And I hope that sinks in for you some day.
-jj