@sdbacker80 said:
Baker hurt this team last year and this coming year by not playing like the #1 overall pick that he was…instead Joe Burrow played like it and the Bengals went to the SB.
Exactly this . . .
I watched cowherd’s podcast with Cabot and she talked about baker’s attitude at the SR bowl and how she asked browns brass about her concerns and they said that “that’s the attitude we’re looking for. We want the crotch grabbing, flag planting type of mf’er.” Which was a great attitude to pull the franchise out of the abyss with a bunch of less than stellar players.
Fast forward to ‘20 and Baker was never able to grow past his pride into someone who could lead a team with a bunch of players that were arguably better than him. It didn’t help that Dorsey and the brass treated him like the Jesus of qb’s and let him have so much say in the direction of the team after Hue. Then the new regime took over and he no longer had the sway he once had, which I feel he still thought he should. Now he’s been put in his place by brass and he’s on a team with players that outshine his talent which led him to be defensive, to never accept any blame, to let the media run with the “it’s obj’s fault” after obj was injured and never saying a peep, all of which hurt his relationship with the entire locker room. I can’t remember anyone on the team saying anything good about Baker other than typical media pleasantries after that whole fiasco.
I think the most detrimental thing he did with his relationship with the browns and ultimately his career was getting that second opinion on his shoulder and not getting the surgery after Watt completely wrecked his shoulder. In hindsight it was pretty clear the team doctor and brass were trying to get him to shut it down . . . But his pride and attitude would not allow for it.
Then he spent the rest of the season searching for excuses for his poor performance. Leaking injury info, the obj saga (which he helped create), complaining on the coaches and scheme. I wondered why Stefanski was so adamant with the he’s ready to go and ran the offense like Baker wasn’t hurt, but it was obviously because Baker was being such a tool about being “healthy”. Stefanski should’ve shut his ass down anyway of course.
Sorry for the rant but I have been trying to reconcile this whole thing in my mind. I really like Baker and wish he could’ve been the guy, I think he was the perfect pick to pull the Browns out of the gutter, but not the guy to lead a top tier roster to the promised land. Judging by the outpouring from the rest of the team they all felt the same. ? It’s was a crazy roller coaster ride that I enjoyed until it left us stuck at the bottom hoping Seattle will send us a coke and a bag of Doritos for him and his salary
I am disappointed that we weren’t able to have that Cinderella story of drafting our guy and rolling with him to the ring, but I am excited to see what Watson can do over the next five years. I’m not buying all this hyped up outrage from all these hypocrites on TV . . . They all line up everyday at the teats of the NFL cash cow, so they can all spare me. No franchise is immune to the shenanigans of NFL players. It’s only a stain on Watson’s reputation as far as I’m concerned. I feel better now . . . Let’s go brownies