I did some reading on the board and found some of the other posts on this topic. I think it is interesting that it took Cowher longer to win a SB than Marty ever had a chance to coach at one team. However, Cowher did make it to a SB earlier (ever).
Frankly, I don't think as Browns fans that we should be choosy. This is not an organization with any recent history of success, so a few 10 win seasons would probably do a lot for the image of the team and help us get our heads above a few of the Houstons and Baltimores out there.
Its interesting that no one can make an argument why Marty wont win, just that he wont win in the playoffs. So you'd rather have Cowher because he's won a super bowl - valid, but if we can't get him, Is there a better choice that would get us closer to that game?
I admit that I'm partial to Marty because of the history. I'm a 30 something Browns fan who was 10-11-12yrs old when he was coaching us to AFC championship games and there is a huge soft spot in me for those days. I still feel bad about the way he was let go from the Browns back then and I think this would be a great redemption story for both the Browns and Marty. I mean think about how it would feel if he did win a SB here. The guy was fired for winning 14 games, don't you think he wants to come into the league and show the Chargers how close they were to winning it all? Don't you think it would be the ultimate 'I told you so' to the Modell family if he could come in here and win the big one after all these years?
Those aren't very rational football reasons to hire him, but I get a little weak thinking about the possibility. I'm going to go take a bite of a dog bone now. . .