Skip to content

Evolution of the Cleveland Browns

The Browns Board
44 22 4.7k
  • @browns57 said:

    He had to keep looking at Mangini and then say what are you thinking.
    i'm curious about the tone here, assuming it to be more "So Eric, what are you thinking here at this pick?" as opposed to "WHAT THE EFF ARE YOU THINKING?!?!? TAKE HIM NOW!!!" 🙂

    i suspect no conspiracy, no "hahaha! if he makes bad picks i am free from responsibility, let's see if he falls on his face!!!"

    i believe Holmgren is genuinely happy to have EM and has full confidence in him, and he's fortunate to have him as well imo...Holmgren just gets all the credit.

    also after adding Jake and Seneca i feel the QB position was serviceable and not a huge need on their board, more of a situation where if a guy they valued really fell they'd consider taking him. this seems to be the exact situation they were faced with.

    --in Mangini i trust--

    @sisky-fringo said:

    i'm curious about the tone here, assuming it to be more "So Eric, what are you thinking here at this pick?" as opposed to "WHAT THE EFF ARE YOU THINKING?!?!? TAKE HIM NOW!!!" 🙂

    i suspect no conspiracy, no "hahaha! if he makes bad picks i am free from responsibility, let's see if he falls on his face!!!"

    i believe Holmgren is genuinely happy to have EM and has full confidence in him, and he's fortunate to have him as well imo...Holmgren just gets all the credit.

    also after adding Jake and Seneca i feel the QB position was serviceable and not a huge need on their board, more of a situation where if a guy they valued really fell they'd consider taking him. this seems to be the exact situation they were faced with.

    --in Mangini i trust--

    I agree. I don't think the browns had to take a qb just to take one. It doesn't make any sense to select one to season if you don't think seasoning is going to help. You can season a tough piece of meat to make it taste ok, but you can't get it to taste like a prime steak, and you sure as heck don't want to eat it every night.

    I think by the 3rd round the potential of McCoy and the pick started to match...the risk/reward started to balance.

    I don't think McCoy is ever going to be the best QB in the league, but he has a chance of being pretty solid to very good...or, not so good...as a 3rd rounder....not the first one taken, it won't kill us if he flops.

    We hope he doesn't, but it won't cripple us if he goes the route of most of the other qbs we have drafted.

    Stick him on the bench with open ears and open mind for a year or two, then see if he is the guy or not, but i don't look at him as the heir apparent....he is a player on the team who has to show what he has.

    Let's put it this way, I don't know who all the top QB prospects are next year, but if the top one or two fell in to our laps, i don't think McCoy would be the reason we might pass on them. I don't think Colt is that type of prospect in the minds of the team. Nice prospect?? You bet. The guy you have inked in as your QB the next 12 years??? No.

  • i think its funny that 95% of this board wanted Mangini fired last year, and now you all thin hes the greatest thing since Jim Brown......I glad to see he has changed your mind....

    BTW...Great post mopaji

    @tampadawgs said:

    i think its funny that 95% of this board wanted Mangini fired last year, and now you all thin hes the greatest thing since Jim Brown......I glad to see he has changed your mind....

    BTW...Great post mopaji

    I think you are wrong. Only about 60% wanted him gone.

  • @tampadawgs said:

    i think its funny that 95% of this board wanted Mangini fired last year, and now you all thin hes the greatest thing since Jim Brown......I glad to see he has changed your mind....

    BTW...Great post mopaji

    I think you are wrong. Only about 60% wanted him gone.

    @thaak said:

    I think you are wrong. Only about 60% wanted him gone.

    I'll go somewhere between you guys and say 76%. 😁

  • @hoorta said:

    I have to admit, I was one of the guys who wanted Mangini gone @ the bye, but (unlike some posters) I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong.

    If Holmgren pulled rank and drafted MCoy, that's a good thing. MH has coached 3 HOFers and several other Pro-Bowl QBs, so if he thinks McCoy may be the answer- it's certainly worth taking a shot on him, especially in the third round. I wanted Andersuck out of town yesterday, and if McDaniels is convinced Quinn is all that hot a qb, why did he go out and draft Tebow?

    I was always a Mangini supporter, but I WAS (and posted to that effect) angry when he pulled Brady as quickly as he did. I still think that was a mistake, but also part of his (Mangini's) learning process. I also believe that with Holmgren working with him, we won't see the snap judgments we saw at times last year.

    I'm also mystified with the QB thing in Denver???

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I was always a Mangini supporter, but I WAS (and posted to that effect) angry when he pulled Brady as quickly as he did. I still think that was a mistake, but also part of his (Mangini's) learning process. I also believe that with Holmgren working with him, we won't see the snap judgments we saw at times last year.

    I'm also mystified with the QB thing in Denver???

    Mike

    I know it's all speculation but I am really convinced that Lerner wanted Brady in there to stir up support from the fans. I think the short leash was a result of Mangini saying "see Randy, the kid can't do it". This hunch of mine grew stronger after I saw just how resalute and decisive EM has been with everything else. There was some tugging going on in the background early last year and Kokinis was a casualty of that. EM knew how to fix it and Lerner wasn't comfortable with all of the quick change. Coach knew what he was doing all along and it took Holmgren singing Mangini's praises for everyone else to get in line and let the guy work. It's a shame it took some people so long but at least it happened.

  • I think you could be right, Mo.

  • @canton-mike said:

    I was always a Mangini supporter, but I WAS (and posted to that effect) angry when he pulled Brady as quickly as he did. I still think that was a mistake, but also part of his (Mangini's) learning process. I also believe that with Holmgren working with him, we won't see the snap judgments we saw at times last year.

    I'm also mystified with the QB thing in Denver???

    Mike

    I know it's all speculation but I am really convinced that Lerner wanted Brady in there to stir up support from the fans. I think the short leash was a result of Mangini saying "see Randy, the kid can't do it". This hunch of mine grew stronger after I saw just how resalute and decisive EM has been with everything else. There was some tugging going on in the background early last year and Kokinis was a casualty of that. EM knew how to fix it and Lerner wasn't comfortable with all of the quick change. Coach knew what he was doing all along and it took Holmgren singing Mangini's praises for everyone else to get in line and let the guy work. It's a shame it took some people so long but at least it happened.

    @mopaji said:

    I know it's all speculation but I am really convinced that Lerner wanted Brady in there to stir up support from the fans. I think the short leash was a result of Mangini saying "see Randy, the kid can't do it". This hunch of mine grew stronger after I saw just how resalute and decisive EM has been with everything else. There was some tugging going on in the background early last year and Kokinis was a casualty of that. EM knew how to fix it and Lerner wasn't comfortable with all of the quick change. Coach knew what he was doing all along and it took Holmgren singing Mangini's praises for everyone else to get in line and let the guy work. It's a shame it took some people so long but at least it happened.

    I tend to think you hit the nail right on the head with this one. Of course, Mangini cannot come out and say this BUT with how he acted about everything and how things went down, you certainly got the feeling Quinn was jammed down his throat. Mangini, i think with last years experience, learned a lot about himself as a coach in terms of going through the ringer like he did. His positive attributes rose to the top and Holmgren saw that. I tell you what won me over, there was an interview he gave in the middle of the year last year which was some of the best journalism i've seen in sometime. Basically, the guy interviewing Mangini wanted to see if he was as big of an idiot/villain as he was being portrayed as. (the article was posted on here) It showed you a man who you could tell KNOWS football and a man who cares about doing things the right way and the Browns way.

  • @thaak said:

    I think you are wrong. Only about 60% wanted him gone.

    I'll go somewhere between you guys and say 76%. 😁

    @ballpeen said:

    I'll go somewhere between you guys and say 76%. 😁

    a large majority of that 76% was exiled to the brady quinn fan club board.

  • @professor_g said:

    As much as I love Cribbs, I have to say that, as a fan, Mangini is my favorite Brown.

    WOW!

    can't decide if that says a lot for EM or not much for our team. 😕

    QUOTE (professor_g @ Apr 26 2010, 04:29 PM)

    As much as I love Cribbs, I have to say that, as a fan, Mangini is my favorite Brown.

    @sisky-fringo said:

    WOW!

    can't decide if that says a lot for EM or not much for our team. 😕

    Ha, I know it sounds pretty sad. RB is my favorite position, and usually my favorite Brown is just the current RB. But I have to give the nod to Mangini because I found myself thinking just the other day: I NEED a Browns poster for my office wall, and Mangini's got to be in the poster somewhere because nearly everything I like about the current team makes me think of Mangini.

  • @mopaji said:

    Mangini inherited a team filled with terribly over-paid CFL talent, drama from underacheiving primadonnas an incredibly ill-equipped yet vocal fan-base, and a 4-12 team with zero cap space. Not to mention a bull's eye on his back from the NFL for his role as a whistle-blower in spygate. How did he respond?

    He got as many stand-up, classy, smart, team oriented players on this team in year one as he could. Despite being met with much resistance from the above mentioned primadonnas as well as the fan-base and media, he stuck to his vision all the while assuring us all that it works. And wouldn't you know it, he finished the season with 4 straight wins and a Gatorade bath from players that we were told hated him. At the end of last season players gave off the impression that they did not want the season to end despite only winning 5 games. And now, with the blue-collar core of this team in place and a philosophy and culture completely turned-around he has the support of his players and a roster full of guys who know how to do their jobs.

    Enter 2010 draft weekend. With a solid foundation, he has now inserted at least half a dozen bruising, physical, smart young players in very important positions on the team. He is continuing the face-lift of this team and turning us into the type of team we loved in the 80's. Smart, classy, blue-collared, and above all, physical players. And because of the foundation of players laid last year, these young players are now in a much better position to succeed on this team. And do not kid yourselves, this was a Mangini draft. He told Heckert what he was looking for and Heckert delivered.

    His vision is becoming clear to everyone even the Grossis of the world. Because of last year, this year was possible. He endured infinte criticism throughout last year and stuck to his guns. Admitting and demonstrating that he didn't care what was said about him, he was going to build a team. And he did. Of course we have yet to see how all of this will translate onto the field but for the first time in a long time, we can see an identity and a culture being put in place in Berea. And it is almost completely credited to what Mangini has done since coming to Cleveland. And it provides plenty of reason to be excited about our team again. Nomore backing into the playoffs like in 2003. Nomore paper tigers like what we saw in 2007. This is becoming a franchise again and we should all be very, very excited about that.

    These are my Browns.

    *drops the mic*

    We have disagreed many times, vociferously, on many topics. This is certainly not one of those times. Good post.

    @thaak said:

    We have disagreed many times, vociferously, on many topics. This is certainly not one of those times. Good post.

    and you and I as well, and indeed this was an excellent post...........good times are coming

  • @thaak said:

    We have disagreed many times, vociferously, on many topics. This is certainly not one of those times. Good post.

    and you and I as well, and indeed this was an excellent post...........good times are coming

    @rich4eagle said:

    and you and I as well, and indeed this was an excellent post...........good times are coming

    Stop it! The world is going to end!

  • Awesome post, mopaji. One of the best I have read in a long time.

    And Gips, I'm glad to see you're willing to adjust your take on Coach Mangini as well. Good times all around.

    I know we're all still in the post-draft euphoria, but there is no doubt when you look at the roster from January '09 when Mangini was hired to today there's three common themes: Increased talent, toughness, and intelligence.

  • Awesome post, mopaji. One of the best I have read in a long time.

    And Gips, I'm glad to see you're willing to adjust your take on Coach Mangini as well. Good times all around.

    I know we're all still in the post-draft euphoria, but there is no doubt when you look at the roster from January '09 when Mangini was hired to today there's three common themes: Increased talent, toughness, and intelligence.

    @nw-ohio-brownie said:

    Awesome post, mopaji. One of the best I have read in a long time.

    And Gips, I'm glad to see you're willing to adjust your take on Coach Mangini as well. Good times all around.

    I know we're all still in the post-draft euphoria, but there is no doubt when you look at the roster from January '09 when Mangini was hired to today there's three common themes: Increased talent, toughness, and intelligence.

    Agreed, but you forgot another 2...character & discipline. We certainly have a much stronger foundation upon which to build, don't we?

    It's funny (actually sad), but in years past, I used to look at the draft & question so many moves. In this one, my tendency was to do a little research after seeing the pick, & then understanding why it was made. This has been a very logical & well thought out maneuver. Good stuff!

    Mike

  • I have a question that maybe someone who knows the situation can answer. Did Mangini lose the jets team? Did they quit on him?

  • I have a question that maybe someone who knows the situation can answer. Did Mangini lose the jets team? Did they quit on him?

    Dawgfanforever88 said:

    I have a question that maybe someone who knows the situation can answer. Did Mangini lose the jets team? Did they quit on him?

    Here's my opinion (I'll probably get blasted for it). I think the Jets, IF they quit, quit on their "on field" leader...Brett Favre, who seems to care more for his own stats/legacy than his team's success these days. Had he looked at the good of his team rather than his consecutive start streak, they most likely would have made the playoffs. Should Mangini have yanked him?...Probably, but I believe he has learned from that.

    Just my opinion.

    Mike

  • Dawgfanforever88 said:

    I have a question that maybe someone who knows the situation can answer. Did Mangini lose the jets team? Did they quit on him?

    Here's my opinion (I'll probably get blasted for it). I think the Jets, IF they quit, quit on their "on field" leader...Brett Favre, who seems to care more for his own stats/legacy than his team's success these days. Had he looked at the good of his team rather than his consecutive start streak, they most likely would have made the playoffs. Should Mangini have yanked him?...Probably, but I believe he has learned from that.

    Just my opinion.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Here's my opinion (I'll probably get blasted for it). I think the Jets, IF they quit, quit on their "on field" leader...Brett Favre, who seems to care more for his own stats/legacy than his team's success these days. Had he looked at the good of his team rather than his consecutive start streak, they most likely would have made the playoffs. Should Mangini have yanked him?...Probably, but I believe he has learned from that.

    Just my opinion.

    Mike

    I think you're right. Brett with the Jets was never about the team. He never wanted to be there in the first place. His speech to the huddle before the last game of the year (win and you're in) was LESS than inspiring. When Mangini was fired, the team leaders were hacked (Faneca, Kris Jenkins, Thomas Jones, Leon, etc). As for yanking Favre, I don't know of too many NFL coaches who'd show that kind of power (ie., it's a lose-lose proposition). No one throws a hissy-fit like Brett.

    I would offer you this: Have you ever seen a 1-11 team playing in miserable weather for a seemingly lame duck coach play for him like the Browns did last December? Of the Jets or Browns who've ever complained about Mangini, where they star players and team leaders or where they malcontents and marginal players who likely didn't like being pushed all that hard? Think about it.

  • I'm the orginal Mangini cheerleader, The Browns look and are run like a professional football team should be run, Mangini came in with his vision and did some dirty work straightening out this colossal mess that was the Cleveland Browns..Cap Hell..bad character,overpaid, malcontents ruled the locker room..Hopefully Heckert and Holmgren recognized there job coming in was made a WHOLE lot easy because EM took out the trash. .I am proud of the Cleveland Browns because they are good role models,hard working, old school athletes..I'm excited about our team and am so looking forward to this season.

  • Two words:

    'Dawgpound Mike'

    One word:

    'Tool'

    Give Lerner some credit for not pulling the trigger on Mangini after our so-called 'Fan Representative' campaigned against Mangin.

    epic fail

    Dawg%20Pound%20Mike.jpgbrownsfans-300x270.jpg

  • Two words:

    'Dawgpound Mike'

    One word:

    'Tool'

    Give Lerner some credit for not pulling the trigger on Mangini after our so-called 'Fan Representative' campaigned against Mangin.

    epic fail

    Dawg%20Pound%20Mike.jpgbrownsfans-300x270.jpg

    @atenears said:

    Two words:

    'Dawgpound Mike'

    One word:

    'Tool'

    Give Lerner some credit for not pulling the trigger on Mangini after our so-called 'Fan Representative' campaigned against Mangin.

    epic fail

    Dawg%20Pound%20Mike.jpgbrownsfans-300x270.jpg

    I love how if you wear a costume or have had season tickets for 10 or more years you are suddenly qualified to speak on the Browns as if you know something based on your tenure alone. As soon as somebody starts their statement with "I've been a season ticket holder for ___ years" I know they are about to spew a bunch of nonsense. If you wait until the end to announce your devotion, then you have much more credibility. Attention Dawg Pound Mike! You cannot purchase fandom!

    I hope I'm not offending anybody here but Dawg Pound Mike is an absolute douche bag of a fan. He sounded like a casual female fan trying to relate to her boyfriend so he will include her in his Sunday plans. He has the same perspective on the team as any local female bartender. No disrespect to female bartenders, in fact, you are one of my all time favorite groups of people.

  • @atenears said:

    Two words:

    'Dawgpound Mike'

    One word:

    'Tool'

    Give Lerner some credit for not pulling the trigger on Mangini after our so-called 'Fan Representative' campaigned against Mangin.

    epic fail

    Dawg%20Pound%20Mike.jpgbrownsfans-300x270.jpg

    I love how if you wear a costume or have had season tickets for 10 or more years you are suddenly qualified to speak on the Browns as if you know something based on your tenure alone. As soon as somebody starts their statement with "I've been a season ticket holder for ___ years" I know they are about to spew a bunch of nonsense. If you wait until the end to announce your devotion, then you have much more credibility. Attention Dawg Pound Mike! You cannot purchase fandom!

    I hope I'm not offending anybody here but Dawg Pound Mike is an absolute douche bag of a fan. He sounded like a casual female fan trying to relate to her boyfriend so he will include her in his Sunday plans. He has the same perspective on the team as any local female bartender. No disrespect to female bartenders, in fact, you are one of my all time favorite groups of people.

    @mopaji said:

    I love how if you wear a costume or have had season tickets for 10 or more years you are suddenly qualified to speak on the Browns as if you know something based on your tenure alone. As soon as somebody starts their statement with "I've been a season ticket holder for ___ years" I know they are about to spew a bunch of nonsense. If you wait until the end to announce your devotion, then you have much more credibility. Attention Dawg Pound Mike! You cannot purchase fandom!

    I hope I'm not offending anybody here but Dawg Pound Mike is an absolute douche bag of a fan. He sounded like a casual female fan trying to relate to her boyfriend so he will include her in his Sunday plans. He has the same perspective on the team as any local female bartender. No disrespect to female bartenders, in fact, you are one of my all time favorite groups of people.

    i've been a season ticket holder for over 20 years, i can tell you that you're right about Dawg Pound Mike.

  • Maybe they'll pull his season tickets...hahahahahaha