Skip to content

Miserable city?

Barber Shop Talk
57 13 2.9k
  • Commute times:

    https://www.businessinsider.com/worst-commutes-in-us-ranked-2019-6

    Cleveland not in the Top 50 of worst commute times

  • Superfund/pollution:

    This website gives the worst cities in America...combining groud/water/air

    https://www.forbes.com/2011/02/28/most-toxic-cities-personal-finance_slide.html#199bcecb49a8

    Cleveland NOT listed.

  • Sports "misery".   

    While Cleveland could have had this claim for a while....it is no longer the case:

    Cavs  4 straight finals and a title.  Indians in the World Series.

    Compare to these:  

    San Diego...no title since 1963.  Two teams left town.   Clippers/Chargers

    Buffalo...no title since 1965.

    Milwaukee...no title since 1971....unless you count the Packers

    Portland...not title since 1977

    Salt Lake City....no title since early 70s

    While these are newer markets....places like Charlotte/Nashville/Memphis/Orlando/Jacksonville/Las Vegas/OK City/ and others have never had a team win a title.

  • Crime rate:

    Cleveland's is not good,  may just in or just outside the Top Ten....but no worse than all these towns ahead of it:

    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-united-states.html

  • Weather:

    Highly...highly subjective.  

    I have ALWAYS said a winter in Cleveland is better than a summer anywhere in the south.

    Here is one opinion....which includes bad cold weather cities, and bad hot weather cities:

    https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/these-30-places-have-the-worst-weather-in-america-51814#lubbock-weather

    So...Cleveland better than Houston/LA/Orlando/Jacksonville/Tampa/Portland/Seattle/New Orleans/Mobile/Dallas/Las Vegas/Phoenix/Tuscon

    So  Bob Vila agrees essentially with me.

  • @axe said:

    Can't argue with what he posted ..

    It's old but at the time very relevant. There were 5 Ohio cities on the list in his link from Forbes.

    The hell I can't argue with what he posted. Why  on earth would you ever think that bullshit is inarguable?

    Again...here are the criteria that the article he posted used:

    Our Misery Measure takes into account:

    unemployment,

    taxes (both sales and income),

    commute times,

    violent crime

    and how its pro sports teams have fared over the past two years. We also factored in two indexes put together by Portland, Ore., researcher Bert Sperling that gauge

    weather and

    Superfund pollution sites.  (Superfund sites are ground pollution issues. Why is not air and water pollution a factor as well?

    Lastly we considered corruption based on convictions of public officials in each area as tracked by the Public Integrity Section of the U.S. Department of Justice.  (I am trying to figure out how this particular matter has anything to do with overall happiness)

    I guess I could go through these all again and demonstrate how Cleveland is NOT anywhere near at the top of these lists than many, many other cities. 

    If I were to get updated to 2018 data....similar to what I had put on here before, again, I can guarantee that a city like San Diego suffers even worse in all these categories than does Cleveland.  Hell...as I said, they had another sports team leave town....where Cleveland had teams in the sports championship finals 5 times in the last  5-6 years. 

    @the-gipper said:

    The hell I can't argue with what he posted. Why  on earth would you ever think that bullshit is inarguable?

    Why? I'm not a blind homer, .. Plus it was damn near 10 yrs ago..  Who gives a shit?

    The man posted a link to a Forbes list as of 2010.. This was at the time when you started this misguided thread.. There ARE 5 Ohio cities on that Forbes list...  You stated " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine".. I don't know who this guy is/was or if he was the "peckerwood troll" you referred to because this was before my time here.. But the man DID break it off in your ass with proof.. That much is inarguable.. And THAT was my point...All the rest has been silly deflection...

    Why use a one time puppet name of baseballboomhaue? No idea.. Maybe the Forbes writer's last name holds a clue.. Perhaps he simply wanted to escape the pointless rage googling...

  • AxeA Axe

    @the-gipper said:

    The hell I can't argue with what he posted. Why  on earth would you ever think that bullshit is inarguable?

    Why? I'm not a blind homer, .. Plus it was damn near 10 yrs ago..  Who gives a shit?

    The man posted a link to a Forbes list as of 2010.. This was at the time when you started this misguided thread.. There ARE 5 Ohio cities on that Forbes list...  You stated " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine".. I don't know who this guy is/was or if he was the "peckerwood troll" you referred to because this was before my time here.. But the man DID break it off in your ass with proof.. That much is inarguable.. And THAT was my point...All the rest has been silly deflection...

    Why use a one time puppet name of baseballboomhaue? No idea.. Maybe the Forbes writer's last name holds a clue.. Perhaps he simply wanted to escape the pointless rage googling...

    @axe said:

    Why? I'm not a blind homer, .. Plus it was damn near 10 yrs ago..  Who gives a shit?

    You, apparently...since you keep bringing it up.

    The man posted a link to a Forbes list as of 2010.. This was at the time when you started this misguided thread.. There ARE 5 Ohio cities on that Forbes list...  You stated " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine".. I don't know who this guy is/was or if he was the "peckerwood troll" you referred to because this was before my time here.. But the man DID break it off in your ass with proof.. That much is inarguable.. And THAT was my point...All the rest has been silly deflection...

    Why use a one time puppet name of baseballboomhaue? No idea.. Maybe the Forbes writer's last name holds a clue.. Perhaps he simply wanted to escape the pointless rage googling...

    Does your obtuseness know no bounds.  Forbes...or whomever can claim whatever they want...and I am free to challenge what they claim...based on their own criteria.   I challenged it then and showed it was BS...based on their own criteria....and I challenged it again just now...8-9 years later...based on their own criteria, and again showed that it was BS. 

    You say, apparently that you can't argue with what someone says.....simply because they say it.  Why then, Can I make any unsubstantiated statement about anything and have you declare it incapable or being argued with?

    I could say that Axe is a shitty guitar player with 5 thumbs on each hand.   Would you not want to take issue, and argue with that? 😆

    (by the way, the same said Forbes magazine stated that my son's school, Kenyon, had the most beautiful college campus in the world.  I didn't disagree with that.....but maybe other would.   So, you see, it can all be subjective sometimes.  But when you set out specific criteria...and do NOT adhere to that...you are subject to challenge.

  • @axe said:

    Why? I'm not a blind homer, .. Plus it was damn near 10 yrs ago..  Who gives a shit?

    You, apparently...since you keep bringing it up.

    The man posted a link to a Forbes list as of 2010.. This was at the time when you started this misguided thread.. There ARE 5 Ohio cities on that Forbes list...  You stated " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine".. I don't know who this guy is/was or if he was the "peckerwood troll" you referred to because this was before my time here.. But the man DID break it off in your ass with proof.. That much is inarguable.. And THAT was my point...All the rest has been silly deflection...

    Why use a one time puppet name of baseballboomhaue? No idea.. Maybe the Forbes writer's last name holds a clue.. Perhaps he simply wanted to escape the pointless rage googling...

    Does your obtuseness know no bounds.  Forbes...or whomever can claim whatever they want...and I am free to challenge what they claim...based on their own criteria.   I challenged it then and showed it was BS...based on their own criteria....and I challenged it again just now...8-9 years later...based on their own criteria, and again showed that it was BS. 

    You say, apparently that you can't argue with what someone says.....simply because they say it.  Why then, Can I make any unsubstantiated statement about anything and have you declare it incapable or being argued with?

    I could say that Axe is a shitty guitar player with 5 thumbs on each hand.   Would you not want to take issue, and argue with that? 😆

    (by the way, the same said Forbes magazine stated that my son's school, Kenyon, had the most beautiful college campus in the world.  I didn't disagree with that.....but maybe other would.   So, you see, it can all be subjective sometimes.  But when you set out specific criteria...and do NOT adhere to that...you are subject to challenge.

    @the-gipper said:

    I keep bringing it up? WTF are you talking about?

    You posted " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine ""..

    Then someone  posted a link to the Forbes magazine article in which 5  Ohio cities" WERE listed!! Talk about obtuse.. ?

    I could say that Axe is a shitty guitar player with 5 thumbs on each hand.   Would you not want to take issue, and argue with that? 😆

    I honestly wouldn't give a shit. You get used to people that don't like what you do along with those that do.. As long as those that do greatly outnumber those that don't then I'm happy..

    Here.. I'll prove I'm a shitty guitarist.. The latest release "Against My Will"

  • AxeA Axe

    @the-gipper said:

    I keep bringing it up? WTF are you talking about?

    You posted " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine ""..

    Then someone  posted a link to the Forbes magazine article in which 5  Ohio cities" WERE listed!! Talk about obtuse.. ?

    I could say that Axe is a shitty guitar player with 5 thumbs on each hand.   Would you not want to take issue, and argue with that? 😆

    I honestly wouldn't give a shit. You get used to people that don't like what you do along with those that do.. As long as those that do greatly outnumber those that don't then I'm happy..

    Here.. I'll prove I'm a shitty guitarist.. The latest release "Against My Will"

    @axe said:

    I keep bringing it up? WTF are you talking about?

    You posted " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine ""..

    Then someone  posted a link to the Forbes magazine article in which 5  Ohio cities" WERE listed!! Talk about obtuse.. ?

    I could say that Axe is a shitty guitar player with 5 thumbs on each hand.   Would you not want to take issue, and argue with that? 😆

    I honestly wouldn't give a shit. You get used to people that don't like what you do along with those that do.. As long as those that do greatly outnumber those that don't then I'm happy..

    Here.. I'll prove I'm a shitty guitarist.. The latest release "Against My Will"

    You know that I was just yanking your chain with the guitar comment 

  • @axe said:

    I keep bringing it up? WTF are you talking about?

    You posted " Some peckerwood troll claimed that Ohio had the Five most miserable cities in the country per Forbes magazine ""..

    Then someone  posted a link to the Forbes magazine article in which 5  Ohio cities" WERE listed!! Talk about obtuse.. ?

    I could say that Axe is a shitty guitar player with 5 thumbs on each hand.   Would you not want to take issue, and argue with that? 😆

    I honestly wouldn't give a shit. You get used to people that don't like what you do along with those that do.. As long as those that do greatly outnumber those that don't then I'm happy..

    Here.. I'll prove I'm a shitty guitarist.. The latest release "Against My Will"

    You know that I was just yanking your chain with the guitar comment 

    @the-gipper said:

    You know that I was just yanking your chain with the guitar comment 

    Oh absolutely 😉

    And any publicity is good publicity 😎

    Let me rephrase that, I try not to miss an opportunity to promote our wares 😁