Skip to content

Browns Feeder schools

The Browns Board
13 6 1.6k
  • I think they should just draft Kent State players.

  • I think they should just draft Kent State players.

    @theclevelandsound said:

    I think they should just draft Kent State players.

    Why bother drafting them? In history the following Kent State alumni have gone to a Pro Bowl:

    Jack Lambert

    James Harrison

    Josh Cribbs

    Antonio Gates.

    Of these, ONLY Lambert was drafted. The other 3 were all undrafted free agents.

    And, FYI, the team over the years that has been most enamored of drafting Kent State players?:

    The Atlanta Falcons

    Players they took: Willie Asbury 1966 (love that name, sounds like a pool shark), Eugene Baker 1999, Bob Hallen 1998, OJ Santiago 1997, Gerald Tinker 1979, Mike Zele 1979

    The Falcons have drafted 6 Kent State players over the years. NO other team has drafted more than 2. The teams that have drafted 2:

    The Browns: Rich Mostadi 1960, Larry Poole 1975

    The Steelers: Lou Harris 1968, Jack Lambert 1974

    The Saints: Usama Young 2007, Keno Hills 1996

    No other team has ever drafted more than one Kent Stater in their history.

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    I think they should just draft Kent State players.

    Why bother drafting them? In history the following Kent State alumni have gone to a Pro Bowl:

    Jack Lambert

    James Harrison

    Josh Cribbs

    Antonio Gates.

    Of these, ONLY Lambert was drafted. The other 3 were all undrafted free agents.

    And, FYI, the team over the years that has been most enamored of drafting Kent State players?:

    The Atlanta Falcons

    Players they took: Willie Asbury 1966 (love that name, sounds like a pool shark), Eugene Baker 1999, Bob Hallen 1998, OJ Santiago 1997, Gerald Tinker 1979, Mike Zele 1979

    The Falcons have drafted 6 Kent State players over the years. NO other team has drafted more than 2. The teams that have drafted 2:

    The Browns: Rich Mostadi 1960, Larry Poole 1975

    The Steelers: Lou Harris 1968, Jack Lambert 1974

    The Saints: Usama Young 2007, Keno Hills 1996

    No other team has ever drafted more than one Kent Stater in their history.

    @the-gipper said:

    Why bother drafting them? In history the following Kent State alumni have gone to a Pro Bowl:

    Jack Lambert

    James Harrison

    Josh Cribbs

    Antonio Gates.

    Of these, ONLY Lambert was drafted. The other 3 were all undrafted free agents.

    And, FYI, the team over the years that has been most enamored of drafting Kent State players?:

    The Atlanta Falcons

    Players they took: Willie Asbury 1966 (love that name, sounds like a pool shark), Eugene Baker 1999, Bob Hallen 1998, OJ Santiago 1997, Gerald Tinker 1979, Mike Zele 1979

    The Falcons have drafted 6 Kent State players over the years. NO other team has drafted more than 2. The teams that have drafted 2:

    The Browns: Rich Mostadi 1960, Larry Poole 1975

    The Steelers: Lou Harris 1968, Jack Lambert 1974

    The Saints: Usama Young 2007, Keno Hills 1996

    No other team has ever drafted more than one Kent Stater in their history.

    The main reason Kent State produces good players is good coaching from Doug Martin and the other coaches here. Look in the past decade:

    Antonio Gates (San Diego)

    Josh Cribbs (Cleveland)

    James Harrison (Pittsburgh)

    Daniel Muir (Indianapolis)

    Usama Young (New Orleans)

    Abe Elam (Cleveland)

    Julian Edelman (New England)

    There are a few more but nothing worth mentioning. 6 of 7 start in the NFL.

  • Considering we have a 60-121 (.331 winning percentage) record since the restart in 1999 maybe drafting all Buckeyes wouldn't be a bad idea......

    Or maybe we should draft their coaches........ 😉

  • I know I'm biased, but no SEC speed. Can't win without SEC speed, be it in NFL, or college.

    I'll probably get booed off of the board for this one.

  • I know I'm biased, but no SEC speed. Can't win without SEC speed, be it in NFL, or college.

    I'll probably get booed off of the board for this one.

    @brownrebel said:

    I know I'm biased, but no SEC speed. Can't win without SEC speed, be it in NFL, or college.

    I'll probably get booed off of the board for this one.

    Not Boo'ed. But MoMass is SEC...haven't seen any speed from him.

  • With a quick looking over, 10% or so are from the SEC. Saying one player doesn't look fast from a conference is just as dumb as saying a 4th string CB at Florida is better than a #1 from the PAC 10. Whether or not the Ohio State fans want to admit it, the SEC has been the best conference in the land lately. We don't have many SEC players, and we haven't competed. Correlation or causation? I'll leave everyone else to decide that.

  • @brownrebel said:

    I know I'm biased, but no SEC speed. Can't win without SEC speed, be it in NFL, or college.

    I'll probably get booed off of the board for this one.

    Not Boo'ed. But MoMass is SEC...haven't seen any speed from him.

    @theclevelandsound said:

    Not Boo'ed. But MoMass is SEC...haven't seen any speed from him.

    I agree we haven't seen much production from him, but he is speedy. I think the point to be made with MoMass is that he wasn't a #1 WR at UGA (AJ Green), and we are expecting him to be WR1 here (also, arguably our best pass catcher right now is Ben Watson, UGA).

    I'm simply saying that teams like the Chiefs are turning their fates around with SEC speed (Tyson Jackson, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Kendrick Lewis). I think we should follow suit.

  • I know I'm biased, but no SEC speed. Can't win without SEC speed, be it in NFL, or college.

    I'll probably get booed off of the board for this one.

    @brownrebel said:

    I know I'm biased, but no SEC speed. Can't win without SEC speed, be it in NFL, or college.

    I'll probably get booed off of the board for this one.

    Its not that, but did you look at the list? They picked up as many players from the SEC as anywhere. And a lot of those were duds. And, if you notice, two of their 4 Pro Bowlers on this list came from the Big Ten. And another from the MAC. Maybe they really needed more Big Ten and MAC players.

  • With a quick looking over, 10% or so are from the SEC. Saying one player doesn't look fast from a conference is just as dumb as saying a 4th string CB at Florida is better than a #1 from the PAC 10. Whether or not the Ohio State fans want to admit it, the SEC has been the best conference in the land lately. We don't have many SEC players, and we haven't competed. Correlation or causation? I'll leave everyone else to decide that.

    @kybrown said:

    With a quick looking over, 10% or so are from the SEC. Saying one player doesn't look fast from a conference is just as dumb as saying a 4th string CB at Florida is better than a #1 from the PAC 10. Whether or not the Ohio State fans want to admit it, the SEC has been the best conference in the land lately. We don't have many SEC players, and we haven't competed. Correlation or causation? I'll leave everyone else to decide that.

    OK, I have decided. I have decided you are wrong. Picking the wrong players has been a problem, regardless of which conference they are from.

    As much as I hate to say it, one school that the Browns have been somewhat successful drafting from since 1999 is Mucking Fichigan. Braylon Edwards IS a Pro Bowl talent...but without Pro Bowl brains. And Aaron Shea was a pretty good TE in his time here. They were better than the OSU WR/TE combo that was drafted.

  • @kybrown said:

    With a quick looking over, 10% or so are from the SEC. Saying one player doesn't look fast from a conference is just as dumb as saying a 4th string CB at Florida is better than a #1 from the PAC 10. Whether or not the Ohio State fans want to admit it, the SEC has been the best conference in the land lately. We don't have many SEC players, and we haven't competed. Correlation or causation? I'll leave everyone else to decide that.

    OK, I have decided. I have decided you are wrong. Picking the wrong players has been a problem, regardless of which conference they are from.

    As much as I hate to say it, one school that the Browns have been somewhat successful drafting from since 1999 is Mucking Fichigan. Braylon Edwards IS a Pro Bowl talent...but without Pro Bowl brains. And Aaron Shea was a pretty good TE in his time here. They were better than the OSU WR/TE combo that was drafted.

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, I have decided. I have decided you are wrong. Picking the wrong players has been a problem, regardless of which conference they are from.

    As much as I hate to say it, one school that the Browns have been somewhat successful drafting from since 1999 is Mucking Fichigan. Braylon Edwards IS a Pro Bowl talent...but without Pro Bowl brains. And Aaron Shea was a pretty good TE in his time here. They were better than the OSU WR/TE combo that was drafted.

    I think you are right sir. My predeliction to SEC style football doesn't necessarily translate to Browns football all of the time. MoMass is a good example here. I also meant no offense to any other conference (I can see how one might take such given how I worded that, my apologies).

    I'll try to state my idea another way: If we consistently draft players from winning schools, such as Bama, LSUx, Ole Miss (even I'm surprised by how many pros we have), USC, Miami, Ohio State, etc etc.. then our chances of hitting on a prospect in the draft go up due to the fact that the prospect has "paid his dues" at a power program and with a power schedule. It just so happens that lately, the SEC has had more of these types of players. In other words, a guy like Ray Rice can put a school like Rutgers on the map for a while, giving other prospects there more exposure and airtime. That doesn't necessarily make them as good as players from big schools. Would we rather have a center in the 5th round from Boise State or from Florida State?

    Hope that came out better.

    Edit: Also to your point Gipper, look at the SEC schools we've drafted from. I'd take a guy from Florida or Bama over a guy from MsState or Vanderbilt almost every time (no offense to Vandy fans, screw State).