Skip to content

How about that draft?

The Browns Board
72 25 5.2k
  • PavingHillis said:

    Out of curiosity, how do 1st round WR's usually fair in their first NFL season? I don't mean to be a downer, but I have a feeling we will lose A.J. Green to Cinci at #3, but if we were to get him, would he be able to make a impact from the get go?

    since 1990

    76 WR have been picked in the first round

    22 have made at least 1 pro bowl

    14 have made 2 or more pro bowl

    @richiswhere said:

    since 1990

    76 WR have been picked in the first round

    22 have made at least 1 pro bowl

    14 have made 2 or more pro bowl

    Are the 14 included in the 22??

  • trade up.This years 1st next years 1st next years 3rd Cribbs,Wallace,and Rogers to Carolina for 1 overall next year 5th and pick Andrew Luck

    @7moses7 said:

    trade Cribbs,Wallace,and Rogers to Carolina for 1 overall

    You're stoned. Carolina's starting QB is JIMMY CLAUSEN. Carolina needs a QB more than any team in this draft, they're not going to trade down.

  • @richiswhere said:

    since 1990

    76 WR have been picked in the first round

    22 have made at least 1 pro bowl

    14 have made 2 or more pro bowl

    Are the 14 included in the 22??

    @ballpeen said:

    Are the 14 included in the 22??

    Yes the 14 are included but I am wrong on those numbers my source (wikipedia) was wrong on a few guys.

    How it should look

    Since 1990

    76 WR have been picked in the first round

    21 of them have made the pro bowl at least 1 time

    10 of those 21 have made the pro bowl 2 or more times

    Desmond Howard, Percy Harvin and Koren Robinson each made the pro bowl once (they were included in the numbers above) but made the pro bowl not as WR but as kick returners.

    Wikipedia had Roy Williams(1), Terry Glenn(1) and Joey Galloway(0) as being in multiple pro bowls (actual pro bowls)

    I had Santana Moss in 2 pro bowls but he was only in 1 he was on 2 all pro teams

  • My question is if there is no season next year do we get another 6th overall pick for the 2012 draft? If so that would be nice for Carolina.

  • My question is if there is no season next year do we get another 6th overall pick for the 2012 draft? If so that would be nice for Carolina.

    @buckeyedawg said:

    My question is if there is no season next year do we get another 6th overall pick for the 2012 draft? If so that would be nice for Carolina.

    If there is no season next year then the team with the 32nd pick should get the 1st overall, like a snake draft. That would be the only rational way to do it.

  • @buckeyedawg said:

    My question is if there is no season next year do we get another 6th overall pick for the 2012 draft? If so that would be nice for Carolina.

    If there is no season next year then the team with the 32nd pick should get the 1st overall, like a snake draft. That would be the only rational way to do it.

    @brownandorange said:

    If there is no season next year then the team with the 32nd pick should get the 1st overall, like a snake draft. That would be the only rational way to do it.

    That might be the most logical way to do it but I would rather us getting another high pick. (either way I would rather have the season be played)

  • @brownandorange said:

    If there is no season next year then the team with the 32nd pick should get the 1st overall, like a snake draft. That would be the only rational way to do it.

    That might be the most logical way to do it but I would rather us getting another high pick. (either way I would rather have the season be played)

    @buckeyedawg said:

    That might be the most logical way to do it but I would rather us getting another high pick. (either way I would rather have the season be played)

    Me too. I couldn't stand not having the NFL for a year. And yes, we would like to have two 6th overall picks, but what about the Patriots, Falcons, and Saints? They would bitch about getting screwed in the draft and Goodell would have no option but to resort to the snake draft.

  • @buckeyedawg said:

    That might be the most logical way to do it but I would rather us getting another high pick. (either way I would rather have the season be played)

    Me too. I couldn't stand not having the NFL for a year. And yes, we would like to have two 6th overall picks, but what about the Patriots, Falcons, and Saints? They would bitch about getting screwed in the draft and Goodell would have no option but to resort to the snake draft.

    @brownandorange said:

    Me too. I couldn't stand not having the NFL for a year. And yes, we would like to have two 6th overall picks, but what about the Patriots, Falcons, and Saints? They would bitch about getting screwed in the draft and Goodell would have no option but to resort to the snake draft.

    I don't know... I think a lot of people would have a problem giving the defending super bowl champions the first overall pick. Im sure it is in the rule book someplace.

  • @brownandorange said:

    Me too. I couldn't stand not having the NFL for a year. And yes, we would like to have two 6th overall picks, but what about the Patriots, Falcons, and Saints? They would bitch about getting screwed in the draft and Goodell would have no option but to resort to the snake draft.

    I don't know... I think a lot of people would have a problem giving the defending super bowl champions the first overall pick. Im sure it is in the rule book someplace.

    @buckeyedawg said:

    I don't know... I think a lot of people would have a problem giving the defending super bowl champions the first overall pick. Im sure it is in the rule book someplace.

    Well, there would have to be 2 drafts. In the 2011 draft you use the original draft order and in the 2012 you completely flip the order and revert to the snake draft.

    OR, on a completely different note, they could resort to the lottery, similar to the NBA and just determine the draft order that way. Since there was no past season though, each team would get 1 ball so every franchise has the same opportunity.

  • @buckeyedawg said:

    I don't know... I think a lot of people would have a problem giving the defending super bowl champions the first overall pick. Im sure it is in the rule book someplace.

    Well, there would have to be 2 drafts. In the 2011 draft you use the original draft order and in the 2012 you completely flip the order and revert to the snake draft.

    OR, on a completely different note, they could resort to the lottery, similar to the NBA and just determine the draft order that way. Since there was no past season though, each team would get 1 ball so every franchise has the same opportunity.

    @brownandorange said:

    Well, there would have to be 2 drafts. In the 2011 draft you use the original draft order and in the 2012 you completely flip the order and revert to the snake draft.

    OR, on a completely different note, they could resort to the lottery, similar to the NBA and just determine the draft order that way. Since there was no past season though, each team would get 1 ball so every franchise has the same opportunity.

    I just don't think it is i likely they would give the highest picks to the best teams like that. They may do something like average draft position over the last 5 or so years. Who knows.

  • @brownandorange said:

    Well, there would have to be 2 drafts. In the 2011 draft you use the original draft order and in the 2012 you completely flip the order and revert to the snake draft.

    OR, on a completely different note, they could resort to the lottery, similar to the NBA and just determine the draft order that way. Since there was no past season though, each team would get 1 ball so every franchise has the same opportunity.

    I just don't think it is i likely they would give the highest picks to the best teams like that. They may do something like average draft position over the last 5 or so years. Who knows.

    @buckeyedawg said:

    I just don't think it is i likely they would give the highest picks to the best teams like that. They may do something like average draft position over the last 5 or so years. Who knows.

    Or another idea would be to do a snake draft per say but keep the original start so Carolina goes 1 and 65. That might be more fair. I did a quick google search and didnt really come up with anything.

  • @buckeyedawg said:

    My question is if there is no season next year do we get another 6th overall pick for the 2012 draft? If so that would be nice for Carolina.

    If there is no season next year then the team with the 32nd pick should get the 1st overall, like a snake draft. That would be the only rational way to do it.

    @brownandorange said:

    If there is no season next year then the team with the 32nd pick should get the 1st overall, like a snake draft. That would be the only rational way to do it.

    how exactly is that fair? am i missing something?

  • @brownandorange said:

    If there is no season next year then the team with the 32nd pick should get the 1st overall, like a snake draft. That would be the only rational way to do it.

    how exactly is that fair? am i missing something?

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    how exactly is that fair? am i missing something?

    Because the point of the draft ordering is to help the weakest teams become more competitive. If you just switch the order you are going to be giving what is still the "best" teams franchise players. I understand the viewpoint of the better teams, but I can't see them just switching the order. The more I think about it maybe the "fairest" way would be to average the draft positions of the last 5 years and do it that way. Obviously the Browns woulds do well in that system as well.

    I guess they could do some sort of lottery with the teams with teams with the worst records getting more balls but with every team having a chance to be in any position, and then snake the rest of the draft. I was just reading I guess that is what the NHL did a few years back.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    how exactly is that fair? am i missing something?

    Because the point of the draft ordering is to help the weakest teams become more competitive. If you just switch the order you are going to be giving what is still the "best" teams franchise players. I understand the viewpoint of the better teams, but I can't see them just switching the order. The more I think about it maybe the "fairest" way would be to average the draft positions of the last 5 years and do it that way. Obviously the Browns woulds do well in that system as well.

    I guess they could do some sort of lottery with the teams with teams with the worst records getting more balls but with every team having a chance to be in any position, and then snake the rest of the draft. I was just reading I guess that is what the NHL did a few years back.

    @buckeyedawg said:

    Because the point of the draft ordering is to help the weakest teams become more competitive. If you just switch the order you are going to be giving what is still the "best" teams franchise players. I understand the viewpoint of the better teams, but I can't see them just switching the order. The more I think about it maybe the "fairest" way would be to average the draft positions of the last 5 years and do it that way. Obviously the Browns woulds do well in that system as well.

    I guess they could do some sort of lottery with the teams with teams with the worst records getting more balls but with every team having a chance to be in any position, and then snake the rest of the draft. I was just reading I guess that is what the NHL did a few years back.

    of course, this is only if there stoppage next year right?

  • @buckeyedawg said:

    Because the point of the draft ordering is to help the weakest teams become more competitive. If you just switch the order you are going to be giving what is still the "best" teams franchise players. I understand the viewpoint of the better teams, but I can't see them just switching the order. The more I think about it maybe the "fairest" way would be to average the draft positions of the last 5 years and do it that way. Obviously the Browns woulds do well in that system as well.

    I guess they could do some sort of lottery with the teams with teams with the worst records getting more balls but with every team having a chance to be in any position, and then snake the rest of the draft. I was just reading I guess that is what the NHL did a few years back.

    of course, this is only if there stoppage next year right?

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    of course, this is only if there stoppage next year right?

    Correct. Im talking about no season next year what will they do for the 2012 draft.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    how exactly is that fair? am i missing something?

    Because the point of the draft ordering is to help the weakest teams become more competitive. If you just switch the order you are going to be giving what is still the "best" teams franchise players. I understand the viewpoint of the better teams, but I can't see them just switching the order. The more I think about it maybe the "fairest" way would be to average the draft positions of the last 5 years and do it that way. Obviously the Browns woulds do well in that system as well.

    I guess they could do some sort of lottery with the teams with teams with the worst records getting more balls but with every team having a chance to be in any position, and then snake the rest of the draft. I was just reading I guess that is what the NHL did a few years back.

    @buckeyedawg said:

    I was just reading I guess that is what the NHL did a few years back.

    Yes, but I'm sure you don't know why the lottery is instituted in the NHL. Back in 1971, the Montreal Canadiens were the top team in the league and had their eye on the top prospect and junior player, Guy Lafleur. The Canadiens knew they could not get the first pick, so they traded one of their top players to the worst team in the league, the Los Angeles Kings, for the Kings' first round pick. Despite acquiring a new talent, the Kings finished last in the league, giving the Canadiens the top draft choice. Guess who they picked. Lafleur.

    Another aspect that contributed to the lottery becoming formatted in the NHL was throwing games. In 1974, the Capitals inaugural season, they started off terribly and lost almost 30 consecutive games. Once the Caps realized they had no shot at the playoffs, they began playing for draft positioning. Washington finished the season with an 8-67-5 record, the worst in NHL history. Guess who got the first pick. Washington.

    Pretty interesting, huh?

  • @buckeyedawg said:

    I was just reading I guess that is what the NHL did a few years back.

    Yes, but I'm sure you don't know why the lottery is instituted in the NHL. Back in 1971, the Montreal Canadiens were the top team in the league and had their eye on the top prospect and junior player, Guy Lafleur. The Canadiens knew they could not get the first pick, so they traded one of their top players to the worst team in the league, the Los Angeles Kings, for the Kings' first round pick. Despite acquiring a new talent, the Kings finished last in the league, giving the Canadiens the top draft choice. Guess who they picked. Lafleur.

    Another aspect that contributed to the lottery becoming formatted in the NHL was throwing games. In 1974, the Capitals inaugural season, they started off terribly and lost almost 30 consecutive games. Once the Caps realized they had no shot at the playoffs, they began playing for draft positioning. Washington finished the season with an 8-67-5 record, the worst in NHL history. Guess who got the first pick. Washington.

    Pretty interesting, huh?

    @brownandorange said:

    Yes, but I'm sure you don't know why the lottery is instituted in the NHL. Back in 1971, the Montreal Canadiens were the top team in the league and had their eye on the top prospect and junior player, Guy Lafleur. The Canadiens knew they could not get the first pick, so they traded one of their top players to the worst team in the league, the Los Angeles Kings, for the Kings' first round pick. Despite acquiring a new talent, the Kings finished last in the league, giving the Canadiens the top draft choice. Guess who they picked. Lafleur.

    Another aspect that contributed to the lottery become formatted in the NHL was throwing games. In 1974, the Capitals inaugural season, they started off terribly and lost almost 30 consecutive games. Once the Caps realized they had no shot at the playoffs, they began playing for draft positioning. Washington finisheD the season with an 8-67-5 record, the worst in NHL history. Guess who got the first pick. Washington.

    Pretty interesting, huh?

    I didn't know the NHL did a lottery every year. (Dont watch hockey) That is pretty interesting though. What I was refering to was the lottery system they used after the 94-95 lockout how they set up the draft for the following year.

  • Trade what ever you have to for andrew luck! The guy is the next great qb.

    Not saying anything against colt, but who needs wrs if you have luck?

  • Trade what ever you have to for andrew luck! The guy is the next great qb.

    Not saying anything against colt, but who needs wrs if you have luck?

    @wrrebel said:

    Trade what ever you have to for andrew luck! The guy is the next great qb.

    Not saying anything against colt, but who needs wrs if you have luck?

    He looked terrific tonight.

  • @wrrebel said:

    Trade what ever you have to for andrew luck! The guy is the next great qb.

    Not saying anything against colt, but who needs wrs if you have luck?

    He looked terrific tonight.

    @clevelandbigdawg said:

    He looked terrific tonight.

    He really did look great. There isn't much not to like about the kid.

    All we need is a little luck!