Skip to content

Tight Ends

The Browns Board
89 16 5.9k
  • mikeyP72 said:

    Ben Watson - 5th in Receiving for TE's. His 11.2 AVG is middle of the road when it comes to TE's. Not to mention that he caught 40 1st down passes and had 10 passes over 20 yards long and 1 for over 40 yards (there goes the dumb comment about all of his catches being short dump offs).

    Catches- 68

    Yards- 763

    Avg- 11.2

    Long- 44

    TD- 3

    Sources: NFL.com and ClevelandBrowns.com

    I wouldn't call 39th middle of the road and for a guy that is supposed to be as good as you want him to be, 3 TDs isn't exactly what dreams are made of either. Also, I love how all I do is throw up empty stats and you back up your statement with, wait a minute, what's this? The same thing. Nice job in reaffirming pot<>kettle.

  • Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    No not really. You haven't really done anything but stat our opinion on empty statement and receiving stats for a position that doesn't just revolve around what the stats say. The TE position goes deeper than catches and yards it is a multi job position that can not be judged by stats alone but that is apparently all you can look at. And even all the factors that go into why he didn't do as well in NE are ignored. You use receiving stats from other TE who are used as slot receivers in a lot of situations and are actually the 2nd receiving option on their team where as Watson in NE and in Cleveland was used as a 3rd receiving option TE.

    Oh and taking cracks at age is funny and pushing that I'm a homer is a riot. What I'm saying is that Watson is a top 15 TE and at tied for top TE in the AFCN. I'm not saying that he is the best TE receiving wise or blocking wise, but combined his receiving ability and blocking ability combined make him a top 15 TE. That's not a homer statement that is a statement from someone who is actually looking at all the factors that make up a TE to make an informed decision, not one from some narrow minded dude only looking at a stat sheet.

    Sorry, I'll start grading out Tight Ends like lineman and ignore the fact that catching the ball is the most important part of their job. The funny thing is, if I actually did that, Watson would still be behind Miller. I will agree with you that he is right around 15th in the league as far as TEs go. Which I believe is what I have been saying.

    You guys just ignoring the check down and dump off factor is truly laughable though. The RB/TE positions accounted for 165 out of 296 completions this year. If you can't see why that makes the TE #s artificial then I really don't know how else I can state it. Once again, Watson is a pretty average TE.

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Sorry, I'll start grading out Tight Ends like lineman and ignore the fact that catching the ball is the most important part of their job. The funny thing is, if I actually did that, Watson would still be behind Miller. I will agree with you that he is right around 15th in the league as far as TEs go. Which I believe is what I have been saying.

    You guys just ignoring the check down and dump off factor is truly laughable though. The RB/TE positions accounted for 165 out of 296 completions this year. If you can't see why that makes the TE #s artificial then I really don't know how else I can state it. Once again, Watson is a pretty average TE.

    TE need to do both, otherwise they are just glorified slot receivers. To think that Miller is a better blocker is just stupid. The might have the same receiving ability but Watson is way better at run blocking.

    I always like conversations like this though because it allows me to find out who really knows what they are talking about and who is just blowing smoke out of their ass. You are blowing smoke out of your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if your name was your actual job. Papa John's or Dominoes'.

  • I wouldn't be surprised if your name was your actual job
    just blowing smoke out of their ass
    your opinion is wrong douche bag
    Again Retard

    and thread/

    Seriously, I've wasted too much time arguing about an average TE.

  • @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Sorry, I'll start grading out Tight Ends like lineman and ignore the fact that catching the ball is the most important part of their job. The funny thing is, if I actually did that, Watson would still be behind Miller. I will agree with you that he is right around 15th in the league as far as TEs go. Which I believe is what I have been saying.

    You guys just ignoring the check down and dump off factor is truly laughable though. The RB/TE positions accounted for 165 out of 296 completions this year. If you can't see why that makes the TE #s artificial then I really don't know how else I can state it. Once again, Watson is a pretty average TE.

    TE need to do both, otherwise they are just glorified slot receivers. To think that Miller is a better blocker is just stupid. The might have the same receiving ability but Watson is way better at run blocking.

    I always like conversations like this though because it allows me to find out who really knows what they are talking about and who is just blowing smoke out of their ass. You are blowing smoke out of your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if your name was your actual job. Papa John's or Dominoes'.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    TE need to do both, otherwise they are just glorified slot receivers. To think that Miller is a better blocker is just stupid. The might have the same receiving ability but Watson is way better at run blocking.

    I always like conversations like this though because it allows me to find out who really knows what they are talking about and who is just blowing smoke out of their ass. You are blowing smoke out of your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if your name was your actual job. Papa John's or Dominoes'.

    Man this is going to be a long off season if all that goes on around here is arguments about 2 middle of the pack TE's. These 2 TE's are pretty close to being a wash.

    And Miller probably is a little bit better blocking TE and Watson is a little more of a threat to make a play with the ball. JMHO. I don't mind having Watson and I wouldn't mind having Miller even. I also wouldn't think switching one with the other would be an upgrade. There are cerainly atleast a handful of TE's better then both of them.

    With all that being said I hope we resign Evan Moore ... I would like to see what he develops into. He has some nice upside to be a nice pass catching TE. Great hands and good size.

  • Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    TE need to do both, otherwise they are just glorified slot receivers. To think that Miller is a better blocker is just stupid. The might have the same receiving ability but Watson is way better at run blocking.

    I always like conversations like this though because it allows me to find out who really knows what they are talking about and who is just blowing smoke out of their ass. You are blowing smoke out of your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if your name was your actual job. Papa John's or Dominoes'.

    Man this is going to be a long off season if all that goes on around here is arguments about 2 middle of the pack TE's. These 2 TE's are pretty close to being a wash.

    And Miller probably is a little bit better blocking TE and Watson is a little more of a threat to make a play with the ball. JMHO. I don't mind having Watson and I wouldn't mind having Miller even. I also wouldn't think switching one with the other would be an upgrade. There are cerainly atleast a handful of TE's better then both of them.

    With all that being said I hope we resign Evan Moore ... I would like to see what he develops into. He has some nice upside to be a nice pass catching TE. Great hands and good size.

    @jnuh said:

    Man this is going to be a long off season if all that goes on around here is arguments about 2 middle of the pack TE's. These 2 TE's are pretty close to being a wash.

    And Miller probably is a little bit better blocking TE and Watson is a little more of a threat to make a play with the ball. JMHO. I don't mind having Watson and I wouldn't mind having Miller even. I also wouldn't think switching one with the other would be an upgrade. There are cerainly atleast a handful of TE's better then both of them.

    With all that being said I hope we resign Evan Moore ... I would like to see what he develops into. He has some nice upside to be a nice pass catching TE. Great hands and good size.

    Lol Heath Miller isn't a average TE and the only individuals on planet earth that would say that he is reside on this message board. They are in no way, shape or form a wash and that isn't being a homer. Watson is a average TE on a team with very average passing options. Hillis ran the ball well which at least opened things up for Watson over the middle. TE's with decent speed are usually match up problems so it's easier for a average TE to do something on a average offense than it would be a receiver, especially one quarterbacked by a rookie QB. Ben Watson is not that good. Sorry fellas, he just isn't. Miller is a top 10 te, bottom of the top 10 but still top 10. Period.

  • @jnuh said:

    Man this is going to be a long off season if all that goes on around here is arguments about 2 middle of the pack TE's. These 2 TE's are pretty close to being a wash.

    And Miller probably is a little bit better blocking TE and Watson is a little more of a threat to make a play with the ball. JMHO. I don't mind having Watson and I wouldn't mind having Miller even. I also wouldn't think switching one with the other would be an upgrade. There are cerainly atleast a handful of TE's better then both of them.

    With all that being said I hope we resign Evan Moore ... I would like to see what he develops into. He has some nice upside to be a nice pass catching TE. Great hands and good size.

    Lol Heath Miller isn't a average TE and the only individuals on planet earth that would say that he is reside on this message board. They are in no way, shape or form a wash and that isn't being a homer. Watson is a average TE on a team with very average passing options. Hillis ran the ball well which at least opened things up for Watson over the middle. TE's with decent speed are usually match up problems so it's easier for a average TE to do something on a average offense than it would be a receiver, especially one quarterbacked by a rookie QB. Ben Watson is not that good. Sorry fellas, he just isn't. Miller is a top 10 te, bottom of the top 10 but still top 10. Period.

    Homotron said:

    Lol Heath Miller isn't a average TE and the only individuals on planet earth that would say that he is reside on this message board. They are in no way, shape or form a wash and that isn't being a homer. Watson is a average TE on a team with very average passing options. Hillis ran the ball well which at least opened things up for Watson over the middle. TE's with decent speed are usually match up problems so it's easier for a average TE to do something on a average offense than it would be a receiver, especially one quarterbacked by a rookie QB. Ben Watson is not that good. Sorry fellas, he just isn't. Miller is a top 10 te, bottom of the top 10 but still top 10. Period.

    Thats great that you don't think he is average. But the reality is he and Watson are both average and very much in the same tier of TE. It's not a knock on Miller or Watson, but the reality is they are middle of the pack guys. Those 2 are clumped in the middle with the likes of the Merceds Lewis, Brandon Pettigrew, Greg Olsen, Dustin Keller, Kevin Boss and Visanthe Shiancoe's of the league.

    Sorry to break it to you.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    Not to bad for an average TE. Think miller coulda done this? Hell no!

    I don't know what video you were trying to post. Was it this one.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    Not to bad for an average TE. Think miller coulda done this? Hell no!

    I don't know what video you were trying to post. Was it this one.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    I don't know what video you were trying to post. Was it this one.

    Yeah that's it, I forgot when you post stuff from a smart phone you have to erase the (M.) After http.

    Thanks for catching that.

  • Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    I don't know what video you were trying to post. Was it this one.

    Yeah that's it, I forgot when you post stuff from a smart phone you have to erase the (M.) After http.

    Thanks for catching that.

    @erie-dawg said:

    Yeah that's it, I forgot when you post stuff from a smart phone you have to erase the (M.) After http.

    Thanks for catching that.

    That video is a great example of Ben's Character. He is not the best TE in the country, but he is going to work his ass off to be the best he can possibly be all the time.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    Yeah that's it, I forgot when you post stuff from a smart phone you have to erase the (M.) After http.

    Thanks for catching that.

    That video is a great example of Ben's Character. He is not the best TE in the country, but he is going to work his ass off to be the best he can possibly be all the time.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    That video is a great example of Ben's Character. He is not the best TE in the country, but he is going to work his ass off to be the best he can possibly be all the time.

    That was also a LONG ass time ago all things considered and very impressive when it happened. I remember seeing it live.

  • Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    That video is a great example of Ben's Character. He is not the best TE in the country, but he is going to work his ass off to be the best he can possibly be all the time.

    That was also a LONG ass time ago all things considered and very impressive when it happened. I remember seeing it live.

    Homotron said:

    That was also a LONG ass time ago all things considered and very impressive when it happened. I remember seeing it live.

    It was in 2005. His second year in the league. He's not as old and washed up as you're trying miserably to portray him as.

  • Homotron said:

    That was also a LONG ass time ago all things considered and very impressive when it happened. I remember seeing it live.

    It was in 2005. His second year in the league. He's not as old and washed up as you're trying miserably to portray him as.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It was in 2005. His second year in the league. He's not as old and washed up as you're trying miserably to portray him as.

    For a player in the NFL that was a long time ago and it was a long time ago.

  • Homotron said:

    Lol Heath Miller isn't a average TE and the only individuals on planet earth that would say that he is reside on this message board. They are in no way, shape or form a wash and that isn't being a homer. Watson is a average TE on a team with very average passing options. Hillis ran the ball well which at least opened things up for Watson over the middle. TE's with decent speed are usually match up problems so it's easier for a average TE to do something on a average offense than it would be a receiver, especially one quarterbacked by a rookie QB. Ben Watson is not that good. Sorry fellas, he just isn't. Miller is a top 10 te, bottom of the top 10 but still top 10. Period.

    Thats great that you don't think he is average. But the reality is he and Watson are both average and very much in the same tier of TE. It's not a knock on Miller or Watson, but the reality is they are middle of the pack guys. Those 2 are clumped in the middle with the likes of the Merceds Lewis, Brandon Pettigrew, Greg Olsen, Dustin Keller, Kevin Boss and Visanthe Shiancoe's of the league.

    Sorry to break it to you.

    @jnuh said:

    Thats great that you don't think he is average. But the reality is he and Watson are both average and very much in the same tier of TE. It's not a knock on Miller or Watson, but the reality is they are middle of the pack guys. Those 2 are clumped in the middle with the likes of the Merceds Lewis, Brandon Pettigrew, Greg Olsen, Dustin Keller, Kevin Boss and Visanthe Shiancoe's of the league.

    Sorry to break it to you.

    This is pretty good posting although Pettigrew may end up being in tier 1 eventually.

  • @jnuh said:

    Thats great that you don't think he is average. But the reality is he and Watson are both average and very much in the same tier of TE. It's not a knock on Miller or Watson, but the reality is they are middle of the pack guys. Those 2 are clumped in the middle with the likes of the Merceds Lewis, Brandon Pettigrew, Greg Olsen, Dustin Keller, Kevin Boss and Visanthe Shiancoe's of the league.

    Sorry to break it to you.

    This is pretty good posting although Pettigrew may end up being in tier 1 eventually.

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    This is pretty good posting although Pettigrew may end up being in tier 1 eventually.

    He could, but right now he is in this group.

  • @jnuh said:

    Thats great that you don't think he is average. But the reality is he and Watson are both average and very much in the same tier of TE. It's not a knock on Miller or Watson, but the reality is they are middle of the pack guys. Those 2 are clumped in the middle with the likes of the Merceds Lewis, Brandon Pettigrew, Greg Olsen, Dustin Keller, Kevin Boss and Visanthe Shiancoe's of the league.

    Sorry to break it to you.

    This is pretty good posting although Pettigrew may end up being in tier 1 eventually.

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    This is pretty good posting although Pettigrew may end up being in tier 1 eventually.

    Kevin Boss is a young Watson. A good blocker and pass option. I would honestly rather have a TE like Watson or Boss that have a TE like Gates would is just a receiving option.

  • @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    This is pretty good posting although Pettigrew may end up being in tier 1 eventually.

    Kevin Boss is a young Watson. A good blocker and pass option. I would honestly rather have a TE like Watson or Boss that have a TE like Gates would is just a receiving option.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    Kevin Boss is a young Watson. A good blocker and pass option. I would honestly rather have a TE like Watson or Boss that have a TE like Gates would is just a receiving option.

    I feel you with liking a TE who can block and catch ... but Gates is a once in a blue moon kind of talent. I would take him in a heartbeat over Watson and any other TE in the league. IMHO you can't ever seriously compare the 2. Taking watson over Gate is like taking Culpepper in his prime (cause he can run and pass) or Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Or like Passing on Deion Sanders cause he couldn't tackle.

    Gate is an all time great, and a first ballot HOFer (and TE's are NEVER first ballot) Dude is a BEAST in the receiving game so much so in fact that I do not care that he can't block that well.

  • Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    Kevin Boss is a young Watson. A good blocker and pass option. I would honestly rather have a TE like Watson or Boss that have a TE like Gates would is just a receiving option.

    I feel you with liking a TE who can block and catch ... but Gates is a once in a blue moon kind of talent. I would take him in a heartbeat over Watson and any other TE in the league. IMHO you can't ever seriously compare the 2. Taking watson over Gate is like taking Culpepper in his prime (cause he can run and pass) or Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Or like Passing on Deion Sanders cause he couldn't tackle.

    Gate is an all time great, and a first ballot HOFer (and TE's are NEVER first ballot) Dude is a BEAST in the receiving game so much so in fact that I do not care that he can't block that well.

    @jnuh said:

    I feel you with liking a TE who can block or catch ... but Gates is a once in a blue moon kind of talent. I would take him in a heartbeat over Watson and any other TE in the league. IMHO you can't ever seriously compare the 2. Taking watson over Gate is like taking Culpepper in his prime (cause he can run and pass) or Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Or like Passing on Deion Sanders cause he couldn't tackle.

    Gate is an all time great, and a first ballot HOFer (and TE's are NEVER first ballot) Dude is a BEAST in the receiving game so much so in fact that I do not care that he can't block that well.

    Then call him what he really is, a wide receiver. When you have a TE who doesn't block and just catches he is a WR. 20 years ago if a TE couldn't block he didn't play now there pure catching TE who can't block to save their life are a staple in the NFL. Hell players like Gates line up in the slot just about as much as they line up in the TE position now a days.

  • @jnuh said:

    I feel you with liking a TE who can block or catch ... but Gates is a once in a blue moon kind of talent. I would take him in a heartbeat over Watson and any other TE in the league. IMHO you can't ever seriously compare the 2. Taking watson over Gate is like taking Culpepper in his prime (cause he can run and pass) or Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Or like Passing on Deion Sanders cause he couldn't tackle.

    Gate is an all time great, and a first ballot HOFer (and TE's are NEVER first ballot) Dude is a BEAST in the receiving game so much so in fact that I do not care that he can't block that well.

    Then call him what he really is, a wide receiver. When you have a TE who doesn't block and just catches he is a WR. 20 years ago if a TE couldn't block he didn't play now there pure catching TE who can't block to save their life are a staple in the NFL. Hell players like Gates line up in the slot just about as much as they line up in the TE position now a days.

    Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    Then call him what he really is, a wide receiver. When you have a TE who doesn't block and just catches he is a WR. 20 years ago if a TE couldn't block he didn't play now there pure catching TE who can't block to save their life are a staple in the NFL. Hell players like Gates line up in the slot just about as much as they line up in the TE position now a days.

    I agree with you. It is his size that makes him a TE though. Not saying that makes it ok, but it is what it is.

    Also, I don't watch many Chargers games to honestly know how well or how poorly he blocks. Granted he is known for being a pass catcher he is a very unique kind of talent in the aspect of how good he is.

    He is great at what he does though and that is create a mismatch on a DB covering him and on a LB covering him.

  • Hillis-iz-Boss said:

    Then call him what he really is, a wide receiver. When you have a TE who doesn't block and just catches he is a WR. 20 years ago if a TE couldn't block he didn't play now there pure catching TE who can't block to save their life are a staple in the NFL. Hell players like Gates line up in the slot just about as much as they line up in the TE position now a days.

    I agree with you. It is his size that makes him a TE though. Not saying that makes it ok, but it is what it is.

    Also, I don't watch many Chargers games to honestly know how well or how poorly he blocks. Granted he is known for being a pass catcher he is a very unique kind of talent in the aspect of how good he is.

    He is great at what he does though and that is create a mismatch on a DB covering him and on a LB covering him.

    @jnuh said:

    I agree with you. It is his size that makes him a TE though. Not saying that makes it ok, but it is what it is.

    Also, I don't watch many Chargers games to honestly know how well or how poorly he blocks. Granted he is known for being a pass catcher he is a very unique kind of talent in the aspect of how good he is.

    He is great at what he does though and that is create a mismatch on a DB covering him and on a LB covering him.

    Gates is actually pretty solid at run blocking. HiB has officially lost his damn mind. Watson and Boss over Gates? What credibility the guy had is now completely exhausted at this point.