Cavs Draft
-
mikeyP72 said:
I don't see there being a chance in hell we give the heat the #1 pick, but that's just me.
Agreed...Why in the hell would we give both of our last two #1's overall to Miami?! They already got LeGoneinthefourthquarter. They don't need Irving or Williams too (they likely would take Irving).
-
I just saw the following mock draft...first round only.
There is actually some really good logic in this for the Cavs. I don't see the draft going down this way, but I think I'd be okay with it if it did.
What are some of your thoughts?
-
I just saw the following mock draft...first round only.
There is actually some really good logic in this for the Cavs. I don't see the draft going down this way, but I think I'd be okay with it if it did.
What are some of your thoughts?
I just saw the following mock draft...first round only.
There is actually some really good logic in this for the Cavs. I don't see the draft going down this way, but I think I'd be okay with it if it did.
What are some of your thoughts?
Exactly the scenario my Son & I have discussed. The position of strength in this draft is Guard. If we take Irving with the first pick, there will be a TON of question marks remaining at 4, unless we take a 2nd Guard, & that's a no-no. If you take Williams (frontline scorer) at #1, there will still be good talent at Guard #4, & I do like Walker (I think he could be a very good PG). IMHO, every Center on the board is a huge question mark. We'll see.
Mike
-
I just saw the following mock draft...first round only.
There is actually some really good logic in this for the Cavs. I don't see the draft going down this way, but I think I'd be okay with it if it did.
What are some of your thoughts?
Exactly the scenario my Son & I have discussed. The position of strength in this draft is Guard. If we take Irving with the first pick, there will be a TON of question marks remaining at 4, unless we take a 2nd Guard, & that's a no-no. If you take Williams (frontline scorer) at #1, there will still be good talent at Guard #4, & I do like Walker (I think he could be a very good PG). IMHO, every Center on the board is a huge question mark. We'll see.
Mike
Exactly the scenario my Son & I have discussed. The position of strength in this draft is Guard. If we take Irving with the first pick, there will be a TON of question marks remaining at 4, unless we take a 2nd Guard, & that's a no-no. If you take Williams (frontline scorer) at #1, there will still be good talent at Guard #4, & I do like Walker (I think he could be a very good PG). IMHO, every Center on the board is a huge question mark. We'll see.
Mike
The #1 is a no brainer. Take Irving. Anything other than that and the whole FO should be fired on the spot.
-
Is there ANYONE that actually give me REAL reasons why Kyrie Irving is a better pick than Derrick Williams? How can anyone say that he is a "lock" or a "sure pick?" PDG...Why/how is he a "no-brainer?" He wasn't able to make it through one season of college ball. I'm not saying that he won't become a great pro. But I can't see how he is the better pick for the Cavs at #1. Aside from the fact that you leave yourself better options at #4 by picking Williams over Irving, there are a couple other reasons I can name that Williams is the better pick.
1. He has proven that he can stay healthy...He's done it through 2 seasons at Arizona. And that is playing a more physical position down in the paint than Irving plays at the point also.
2. The Cavaliers need help everywhere. But they currently do have Davis and Sessions at the point. Who is left at the 3? Anyone? Gee? Eyenga? Where's the depth there? Who are you going to grab at 4 or 32 or 54 to fill that hole? Nobody that is nearly as good as Williams.
3. Irving is a good baller...but there is this little piece of me that keeps saying "He's another guard from Duke. STAY AWAY!" And rightfully so. Can you name another Duke PG that went on to become a TEAM LEADER in the NBA? Redick? uh...no! Sheldon Williams? Nope! Jason Williams? Eh-Eh! There's just not a great history of Duke guards making a successful transition to the NBA...at least not the success that is needed in Cleveland right now. Not to mention that Irving, despite the fact that he will facilitate the offense and can hit an open jumper, is not the kind of player that can carry a team on his back either. And that is something this team needs too. Williams has shown that he can and will put his team on his back and so has another point guard in this draft...Walker.
Again...I am not saying that Williams is going to save this team and win an NBA championship. But I do believe that Williams will get them closer than Irving.
-
Do you honestly think that taking an undersized PF with the #1 overall is a good idea? He will get abused on the defensive end whether he plays the 3 or the 4. As far as Irving goes, he is the only talent in this draft that may prove to be elite. The Cavs kind of got screwed by having such great picks in what is a terribly weak draft.
-
You can look at him as an undersized PF if you want...but I never referred to him playing the 4. If you watched any of his games the past 2 years, his games translates to the 3 better than the 4. He is a scorer for sure and is big enough to post up against smaller 3's in the league. As far as defense goes...remember that that was the knock on a lot of players in the NBA...including a former 3 who sported the #23 in Cleveland before taking his talents to "Souf Beach." No...I am not suggesting that Williams will turn into Lebron...but I am saying that there are a lot of college players that don't play solid defense until they get to the NBA and develop that part of their game. And...besides...Byron Scott doesn't seem to put any emphasis on the defensive side of the ball anyway. haha
And...you still give no reasons for your claims that Irving "is the only talent in this draft that may prove to be elite."
At least back up your opinion with some reasoning.
-
You can look at him as an undersized PF if you want...but I never referred to him playing the 4. If you watched any of his games the past 2 years, his games translates to the 3 better than the 4. He is a scorer for sure and is big enough to post up against smaller 3's in the league. As far as defense goes...remember that that was the knock on a lot of players in the NBA...including a former 3 who sported the #23 in Cleveland before taking his talents to "Souf Beach." No...I am not suggesting that Williams will turn into Lebron...but I am saying that there are a lot of college players that don't play solid defense until they get to the NBA and develop that part of their game. And...besides...Byron Scott doesn't seem to put any emphasis on the defensive side of the ball anyway. haha
And...you still give no reasons for your claims that Irving "is the only talent in this draft that may prove to be elite."
At least back up your opinion with some reasoning.
You can look at him as an undersized PF if you want...but I never referred to him playing the 4. If you watched any of his games the past 2 years, his games translates to the 3 better than the 4. He is a scorer for sure and is big enough to post up against smaller 3's in the league. As far as defense goes...remember that that was the knock on a lot of players in the NBA...including a former 3 who sported the #23 in Cleveland before taking his talents to "Souf Beach." No...I am not suggesting that Williams will turn into Lebron...but I am saying that there are a lot of college players that don't play solid defense until they get to the NBA and develop that part of their game. And...besides...Byron Scott doesn't seem to put any emphasis on the defensive side of the ball anyway. haha
And...you still give no reasons for your claims that Irving "is the only talent in this draft that may prove to be elite."
At least back up your opinion with some reasoning.
You mean reasoning like, I don't trust Duke PGs? I'm not saying that Irving will be elite but that he is the closest thing to it in this draft. I honestly don't think that there is anyone that will be able to put a team on his back coming out of there. The only knocks on Irving is his shot selection (very coachable), turnovers (coachable), and his speed isn't quite up to Rose and Wall (whose is?).
-
You can look at him as an undersized PF if you want...but I never referred to him playing the 4. If you watched any of his games the past 2 years, his games translates to the 3 better than the 4. He is a scorer for sure and is big enough to post up against smaller 3's in the league. As far as defense goes...remember that that was the knock on a lot of players in the NBA...including a former 3 who sported the #23 in Cleveland before taking his talents to "Souf Beach." No...I am not suggesting that Williams will turn into Lebron...but I am saying that there are a lot of college players that don't play solid defense until they get to the NBA and develop that part of their game. And...besides...Byron Scott doesn't seem to put any emphasis on the defensive side of the ball anyway. haha
And...you still give no reasons for your claims that Irving "is the only talent in this draft that may prove to be elite."
At least back up your opinion with some reasoning.
You mean reasoning like, I don't trust Duke PGs? I'm not saying that Irving will be elite but that he is the closest thing to it in this draft. I honestly don't think that there is anyone that will be able to put a team on his back coming out of there. The only knocks on Irving is his shot selection (very coachable), turnovers (coachable), and his speed isn't quite up to Rose and Wall (whose is?).
You mean reasoning like, I don't trust Duke PGs? I'm not saying that Irving will be elite but that he is the closest thing to it in this draft. I honestly don't think that there is anyone that will be able to put a team on his back coming out of there. The only knocks on Irving is his shot selection (very coachable), turnovers (coachable), and his speed isn't quite up to Rose and Wall (whose is?).
Obviously, you failed to read or at least to comprehend the rest of my reasoning. It doesn't matter because your opinion and mine do not matter anyway. That's the bottom line. I just thought that the purpose of forums like this is for us as fans to actually discuss and debate things just like who our team should take. Apparently, you don't want to put any effort into a discussion but just want to disregard any opinion other than your own.
-
I take Williams over Irving simply because of experince and they use of the 4th pick could be Brandon Knight,Kanter is going to Utah by everything ive heard..So that leaves us with Jonas Valanciucas who has a 3 million buyout who may not be able to play in the NBA for a lil while
Dosent make much sense to me,although Jonas does look pretty good for a 20 year old big man
-
My personal opinion is that there may not be a center WORTHY of a 1st round pick in this draft. Get Williams at #1 & Walker at #4. If the Cavs take Irving at 1, I'm all for trading that 4th pick. We may need a center, but more than that, we need a forward who can score from beyond 10' (who is under 35) & a point guard. Personally, I LOVE Walker's game & he's proven himself over the long haul (performance AND durability), & there are experts who think he will develop into a better PG than Irving. Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, if you take Irving at #1, there isn't anyone left (as Williams will be gone) worthy of the 4 pick....I'm excluding guards, because if we take 2 guards at 1 & 4, the Cavs may as well throw in the towel.
Mike
-
I'll be disappointed if we don't get Irving AND Williams. I originally wanted Irving and Kanter, but with Minnesota obviously not wanting another point guard...it seems like a good GM would be able to get Irving from them (assuming we take Williams first), especially when we have the #4 pick as bait.
Anything else would kind of be a let down for me. But if we come out of the draft with a true PG and a true center...there are worse things.
-
I just read on Yahoo...the Cavs are now talking about Tristan Thompson from TX at the #4? I'd rather trade out of that spot!
I really hope that Gilbert and Grant don't screw this up!
-
mikeyP72 said:
Thompson will be able to play right away and Valanciunus won't.
I don't see why we need a PF, unless JJ is as good as gone.... The Thompson pick makes no sense, unless we are packaging Hickson to get into the first round again.
I say we take Derrick Williams and Kanter if available then see what we've got with Sessions, Boobie and Boom Davis at PG....
Then in round 2 we take a SG like Nolan Smith or Lighty if available.
If we take Irving we should get rid of Sessions and the TPE to get into the mid 1st round and make a play for a SF like Singleton or Marshon Brooks like I said before.
I just don't like drafting on a hunch of a BPA, when we have NEEDS, multiple.
Agreed...I have said all along that I want Williams @ #1. I don't see how ANYONE can be convinced based on 11 games that Irving is the best player in this draft!? And the Cavs have glaring holes at the 2 & 3 & 5. Could they use a true 1? Probably...but why can't we see just what we really have with Sessions? Get him a couple guys that can score at the 2 & 3 and get someone to clog up the middle. If Sessions is NOT the right guy, then you can bring in a PG in the draft next year and he will have some solid players around him to lean on rather than a group of rookies like Irving would have this year. I say grab Williams at one and see what else you can get from there...but fill the biggest holes first...not the one you actually have some solid depth at.
-
The Thompson talk was to work out a trade with Charlotte, they wanted to move ahead of Detroit because they thought they would take him and we wanted to move down and take Jonas V. But now the Bobcats just traded to get the 7th pick, ahead of the Pistons, son now its an unlikely trade
-
Atlanta's trying to trade Josh Smith for the 2nd pick to acquire Kanter. If he's there at 4, I really hope we make that trade.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login