Skip to content

The Browns GM/Coach Search - from a Patsfan's perspective

The Browns Board
55 14 3.0k
  • GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by
    #25

    I most certainly like input from other great fans of other teams sometimes we browns fans forget that many nfl fans from many teams threatened to boycott the nfl when cleveland was fighting to keep the browns namesake and history...

    I think this patsfan prospective is one worth looking at but i cant help but to think lerner may be trying to get pioli to decide faster by suddenly looking at mangini lerner cant afford to be wrong this time or he will most certainly feel the power of united browns fans...randy is a scrub owner but i think he has more potential as an owner than his father had how much better..who knows?

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Personally, I'm tired of this copycat of NE BS. I'm for chopping down the belichick tree in Cleveland and bringing in McKay to administer this organizations football activities. Let's start our own tree. Heckert/Spagnoula.

    Find out if Shanahan is interested in coaching.

    Ask Ozzie if he is interested in running the organization

    Can Bernie be an adviser, at least

    Want to create an idenity, start your own tree.

    I agree to some degree, but I also think we've tried that from Chris Palmer to Butch Davis. Being that the Browns have NEVER hired a proven NFL coach, I'm more in favor of bringing in Shanahan, Cowher, Parcells, even Schottenheimer.

    Those guys aren't going to be clueless and stand on the sideline with a blank stare as if they've never been in that situation before.

    Let's buy the entire tree, roots and all.

    Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @atenears said:

    I agree to some degree, but I also think we've tried that from Chris Palmer to Butch Davis. Being that the Browns have NEVER hired a proven NFL coach, I'm more in favor of bringing in Shanahan, Cowher, Parcells, even Schottenheimer.

    Those guys aren't going to be clueless and stand on the sideline with a blank stare as if they've never been in that situation before.

    Let's buy the entire tree, roots and all.

    I could go in that direction. That's why I say McKay as a VP in charge of football operations is a good move. Lot's of experience and very well respected within NFL circles. Let him mentor a GM and together they could hire the HC. Let the HC have some say and be responsible for his decisions. Who knows, maybe McKay would bring in someone like McDaniel, Spagnola or Schwartz.

  • K kshutchins wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @shepwrite said:

    Nobody in Cleveland liked Belicheck.

    Are you referring to the media? the public? the organization?

    I always liked Belichick and took a fair amount of heat on the message boards because of it.

    I don't particularly care if a coach is surly with the media. Heck, listening to Cleveland talk radio should convince anyone that surly is a way of life there.

    A curmudgeon, albeit a young one in Belichick's case, at least has some fire.

  • GeechG Geech wrote on last edited by Geech
    #28

    @shepwrite said:

    Nobody in Cleveland liked Belicheck.

    That statement is about as ignorant as Mo Carthon's statement that Cleveland's fans and media chased Belichick out of town. The fans didn't chase him out...the media didn't chase him out. Arthur B. Modell struck a deal (on Al Lerner's private jet) to move the team to Baltimore while Belichick was still the coach.

    His original surname is Biličić (pronounced BEE-lee-cheech) and he is a fellow Croatian American. His paternal grandparents emigrated from Karlovac, Croatia (from the village of Draganić) in 1897. I'm sure the vast majority of the 30,000+ Croatian Americans living in Cleveland liked him plenty.

    I liked him as a coach, too, despite my disagreement regarding that whole Kosar/Testiclerde deal.

    -Al

  • ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
    #29

    I lived in Detroit during the Belichick era and I liked the way he was building the team big and tough up the middle. It's those who lived in Cleveland and drank all the negative kool-aid the media was spilling who didn't like him.

    The media had their doughnut break room at the Berea complex taken away from them and had to face only Belichick to get news and he wasn't exactly forthcoming ... so they turned on him and started questioning everything.

    I cheered the departure of the goofy Kosar ... I had no problem with that other than we didn't have anyone healthy on staff to take the helm.

  • K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    If we hire Mangini as a HC instead of Pioli as a GM...... We're gunna suck for 4 more years. Lerner: one week ago you made the right decisions in firing savage and crennel, but now you worry me with mangini talks.

  • If we hire Mangini as a HC instead of Pioli as a GM...... We're gunna suck for 4 more years. Lerner: one week ago you made the right decisions in firing savage and crennel, but now you worry me with mangini talks.

    Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @kardiackid26 said:

    If we hire Mangini as a HC instead of Pioli as a GM...... We're gunna suck for 4 more years. Lerner: one week ago you made the right decisions in firing savage and crennel, but now you worry me with mangini talks.

    Not that I'm convinced that Mangini is our answer, but tell me how many games Pioli will win us. Do you really think a GM means more to a team then a HC? Obviously Savage did.

    Belichick doesn't, he makes the decisions and Pioli watches the money and works with the scouts.

    Then there is the speculation that Pioli is just playing us. That comes from both Boston and Cleveland insiders. He threw Ferentz up so he could stonewall the process. So, how has Lerner F**ked up yet. He is interviewing people. He had to interview some candidates before Sunday because their teams are in the playoffs. What's wrong with that? He talked to Cowher and Shanahan, maybe Parcells next. He had to waite until Atlanta lost this week to talk to McKay.

    He hasn't named Mangini coach. The media might have though, but I think he is giving Pioli till Monday to shit or get off the pot. Talk is talk, but you could do a hell of a lot worse then Mangini. Would you rather he be interviewing college coaches or some broken down retreads from years gone by.

  • @kardiackid26 said:

    If we hire Mangini as a HC instead of Pioli as a GM...... We're gunna suck for 4 more years. Lerner: one week ago you made the right decisions in firing savage and crennel, but now you worry me with mangini talks.

    Not that I'm convinced that Mangini is our answer, but tell me how many games Pioli will win us. Do you really think a GM means more to a team then a HC? Obviously Savage did.

    Belichick doesn't, he makes the decisions and Pioli watches the money and works with the scouts.

    Then there is the speculation that Pioli is just playing us. That comes from both Boston and Cleveland insiders. He threw Ferentz up so he could stonewall the process. So, how has Lerner F**ked up yet. He is interviewing people. He had to interview some candidates before Sunday because their teams are in the playoffs. What's wrong with that? He talked to Cowher and Shanahan, maybe Parcells next. He had to waite until Atlanta lost this week to talk to McKay.

    He hasn't named Mangini coach. The media might have though, but I think he is giving Pioli till Monday to shit or get off the pot. Talk is talk, but you could do a hell of a lot worse then Mangini. Would you rather he be interviewing college coaches or some broken down retreads from years gone by.

    K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Not that I'm convinced that Mangini is our answer, but tell me how many games Pioli will win us. Do you really think a GM means more to a team then a HC? Obviously Savage did.

    Belichick doesn't, he makes the decisions and Pioli watches the money and works with the scouts.

    Then there is the speculation that Pioli is just playing us. That comes from both Boston and Cleveland insiders. He threw Ferentz up so he could stonewall the process. So, how has Lerner F**ked up yet. He is interviewing people. He had to interview some candidates before Sunday because their teams are in the playoffs. What's wrong with that? He talked to Cowher and Shanahan, maybe Parcells next. He had to waite until Atlanta lost this week to talk to McKay.

    He hasn't named Mangini coach. The media might have though, but I think he is giving Pioli till Monday to shit or get off the pot. Talk is talk, but you could do a hell of a lot worse then Mangini. Would you rather he be interviewing college coaches or some broken down retreads from years gone by.

    Yeah but if Pioli is hired, he picks who the coach is. The coach is the one who wins games. The GM just makes all the player decisions, bringing them in through free agency or the draft. Mangini already failed in NY so why would we pick him up?

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Not that I'm convinced that Mangini is our answer, but tell me how many games Pioli will win us. Do you really think a GM means more to a team then a HC? Obviously Savage did.

    Belichick doesn't, he makes the decisions and Pioli watches the money and works with the scouts.

    Then there is the speculation that Pioli is just playing us. That comes from both Boston and Cleveland insiders. He threw Ferentz up so he could stonewall the process. So, how has Lerner F**ked up yet. He is interviewing people. He had to interview some candidates before Sunday because their teams are in the playoffs. What's wrong with that? He talked to Cowher and Shanahan, maybe Parcells next. He had to waite until Atlanta lost this week to talk to McKay.

    He hasn't named Mangini coach. The media might have though, but I think he is giving Pioli till Monday to shit or get off the pot. Talk is talk, but you could do a hell of a lot worse then Mangini. Would you rather he be interviewing college coaches or some broken down retreads from years gone by.

    Yeah but if Pioli is hired, he picks who the coach is. The coach is the one who wins games. The GM just makes all the player decisions, bringing them in through free agency or the draft. Mangini already failed in NY so why would we pick him up?

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @kardiackid26 said:

    Yeah but if Pioli is hired, he picks who the coach is. The coach is the one who wins games. The GM just makes all the player decisions, bringing them in through free agency or the draft. Mangini already failed in NY so why would we pick him up?

    23-25 in 3 years, with 1 playoff appearance is hardly failure in the NFL at HC. It's about the same as BB did in his first job in 5 years.

  • K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    I'm just saying, I dont see us doing anything special with Mangini. Maybe one or two playoff appearances, but we need a team to look foward to in cleveland. The cavs cant be the only answer

  • ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #35

    I am not advocating Mangini. But I certainly don't get the hard knocks on him.

    Reality is, there are no sure things, no matter who CLE hires.

  • I am not advocating Mangini. But I certainly don't get the hard knocks on him.

    Reality is, there are no sure things, no matter who CLE hires.

    K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Masters said:

    I am not advocating Mangini. But I certainly don't get the hard knocks on him.

    Reality is, there are no sure things, no matter who CLE hires.

    True. I just want the right solution this time, no more experimenting, no more hiring boneheads like savage, i want the browns to be taken serious in the league.... maybe eventually be in the same sentence with the Patriots, Colts, and Giants.

  • Masters said:

    I am not advocating Mangini. But I certainly don't get the hard knocks on him.

    Reality is, there are no sure things, no matter who CLE hires.

    True. I just want the right solution this time, no more experimenting, no more hiring boneheads like savage, i want the browns to be taken serious in the league.... maybe eventually be in the same sentence with the Patriots, Colts, and Giants.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @kardiackid26 said:

    True. I just want the right solution this time, no more experimenting, no more hiring boneheads like savage, i want the browns to be taken serious in the league.... maybe eventually be in the same sentence with the Patriots, Colts, and Giants.

    Don't we all.

    On the plus side, Mangini really wouldn't be experimenting.

  • @kardiackid26 said:

    True. I just want the right solution this time, no more experimenting, no more hiring boneheads like savage, i want the browns to be taken serious in the league.... maybe eventually be in the same sentence with the Patriots, Colts, and Giants.

    Don't we all.

    On the plus side, Mangini really wouldn't be experimenting.

    K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    Masters said:

    Don't we all.

    On the plus side, Mangini really wouldn't be experimenting.

    I meant not experimenting with with college coaches or anyone who hasn't coached before. We've been down that road before

  • Masters said:

    Don't we all.

    On the plus side, Mangini really wouldn't be experimenting.

    I meant not experimenting with with college coaches or anyone who hasn't coached before. We've been down that road before

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @kardiackid26 said:

    I meant not experimenting with with college coaches or anyone who hasn't coached before. We've been down that road before

    I followed you. That was my point on Mangini. He has experience at HC and isn't coming from college.

    One thing for sure, no college coaches. They don't work.

  • K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Lol sorry. I just have mixed feelings about this whole thing. I mean Lerner obviously is doing the best he can, I just hope he makes the RIGHT decision this time around and get it right.

  • J JoeSixPat wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Looks like there's a good chance the Brown fans here are going to get their wish and get Mangini, and his hand picked GM candidate.

    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/04/...#comment-180951

    I won't bother arguing any football points as before since its clear no one wants to address any of it - though I will reiterate that Mangini had considerable input into how the Jets spent $140 million in offseason cash - which resulted in an 8-8 season under his management. (Yes, believe it or not Patriots fans are actually quite knowledgable about the goings on of a division rival)

    Sure, the Kool-Aid says blame Tannenbaum rather than your potential head coach (and defacto GM, since he's the one Lerner seems to be abdicating that choice to) but I can't help but notice that the Jets owner fired Mangini, not Tannenbaum.

    But in general I hope everything works out for you guys potentially bringing in a former Patriot defensive coordinator and Ravens personnel guy! Seems like a proven combination from my perspective.

    What could possibly go wrong?

  • Looks like there's a good chance the Brown fans here are going to get their wish and get Mangini, and his hand picked GM candidate.

    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/04/...#comment-180951

    I won't bother arguing any football points as before since its clear no one wants to address any of it - though I will reiterate that Mangini had considerable input into how the Jets spent $140 million in offseason cash - which resulted in an 8-8 season under his management. (Yes, believe it or not Patriots fans are actually quite knowledgable about the goings on of a division rival)

    Sure, the Kool-Aid says blame Tannenbaum rather than your potential head coach (and defacto GM, since he's the one Lerner seems to be abdicating that choice to) but I can't help but notice that the Jets owner fired Mangini, not Tannenbaum.

    But in general I hope everything works out for you guys potentially bringing in a former Patriot defensive coordinator and Ravens personnel guy! Seems like a proven combination from my perspective.

    What could possibly go wrong?

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @joesixpat said:

    which resulted in an 8-8 season under his management. (Yes, believe it or not Patriots fans are actually quite knowledgable about the goings on of a division rival)

    You lost me, and blew your note above as soon as you stated the record. If you know what you rivals are doing, how do you not know they were 9-7, not 8-8 🙄

  • @kardiackid26 said:

    I meant not experimenting with with college coaches or anyone who hasn't coached before. We've been down that road before

    I followed you. That was my point on Mangini. He has experience at HC and isn't coming from college.

    One thing for sure, no college coaches. They don't work.

    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by rich4eagle
    #43

    Masters said:

    I followed you. That was my point on Mangini. He has experience at HC and isn't coming from college.

    One thing for sure, no college coaches. They don't work.

    Especially Paul Brown he was a failure coming from college and Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer and Don Coryell and Tom Coughlin and Sid Gillman and Jim Lee Howell and Hank Stram......to name a few busts who came from college

  • BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Lets hire McKay and let him hire the coach.

    I dont like Pioli from what ive read and I dont want "SAvage New and Improved part -2"