Skip to content

Draft And Free Agency

The Browns Board
58 25 3.0k
  • @jnuh said:

    Honestly money wise it is doable. I can't find the exact figure but off the top of my head I remember us having between 25-30 mil under the cap. We have a ton of cap space signing Williams and Jackson could happen if they wanted it to. Adding a quality CB and quality WR additionally might be out of reach but it really depends on what people are willing to pay Meachum and Manningham of the world.

    Gotta lower your expectations, kiddo. Here's some real world numbers. Williams will get an $80 million contract- take it to the bank- pun intended. We'll have to overpay like hell to persuade him to leave Super Bowl contender Houston, something Heckert is extremely unlikely to do. Franchise money for a wr receiver is $9.5 million so forget about Jackson, headcase problems aside. So you've already blown all the cap on two players.

    Not only that, once you have those two guys on board- it creates a ripple effect on salary demands from guys you already have on the team. Exhibit "A" would be the Browns picking up FA Raymond Clayborn from the Patriots for big bucks way back when. And you can't blame them. So we bring in Williams- Sheard has as many sacks- he's gonna say- "Well I'm playing as good as Mario, so now I want Mario money too."

    Another WR? Well Manningham is going to think he's worth Anquan Boldin money, which is around $8.5 million a year, not counting signing bonus. Adding a CB the caliber of Jonathan Joseph (5 year deal, $48.5 million) about $12 million up front = tilt. Your scenario might work if you're playing Madden, won't work for the Browns. Doubly, because with a 4-12 record, we're going to have to overpay anyone we get.

    Look no farther than the current Super Bowl teams, maybe only a couple of superstars- but a bunch of solid players and great coaching.

    @hoorta said:

    Gotta lower your expectations, kiddo. Here's some real world numbers. Williams will get an $80 million contract- take it to the bank- pun intended. We'll have to overpay like hell to persuade him to leave Super Bowl contender Houston, something Heckert is extremely unlikely to do. Franchise money for a wr receiver is $9.5 million so forget about Jackson, headcase problems aside. So you've already blown all the cap on two players.

    Not only that, once you have those two guys on board- it creates a ripple effect on salary demands from guys you already have on the team. Exhibit "A" would be the Browns picking up FA Raymond Clayborn from the Patriots for big bucks way back when. And you can't blame them. So we bring in Williams- Sheard has as many sacks- he's gonna say- "Well I'm playing as good as Mario, so now I want Mario money too."

    Another WR? Well Manningham is going to think he's worth Anquan Boldin money, which is around $8.5 million a year, not counting signing bonus. Adding a CB the caliber of Jonathan Joseph (5 year deal, $48.5 million) about $12 million up front = tilt. Your scenario might work if you're playing Madden, won't work for the Browns. Doubly, because with a 4-12 record, we're going to have to overpay anyone we get.

    Look no farther than the current Super Bowl teams, maybe only a couple of superstars- but a bunch of solid players and great coaching.

    Those are by no means my expectations. That is just what I would try and do. And I would get rid of as much dead weight I needed to to get it done.

    Also there is way in hell Manningham commands Boldin money. He has never had a Boldin type of year. His best year probably isn't as good as Boldins worst year.

  • @dawginit said:

    I'd rather pay big money to one player that would finish out a very good unit (defensive line) than pay the same amount of money to players like we have recently. Scott Fujita, Chris Gocong, Sheldon Brown, Evan Moore, etc. We could have the best defensive line in football with Williams. Then draft a DB that can hopefully upgrade over Brown or Adams or a linebacker that will upgrade Fujita.

    we won't sign williams but we will draft all three positions that you mentioned.

    @miktoxic said:

    we won't sign williams but we will draft all three positions that you mentioned.

    We better not blow a pick on a tight end unless Dwayne Allen some how falls to the 4th round or later. But ya we seriously need help at OLB.

  • Either Blackmon, Richardson, Kalil or Luck at #4

    Chase Minnifield at #22

  • Either Blackmon, Richardson, Kalil or Luck at #4

    Chase Minnifield at #22

    @poeticg said:

    Either Blackmon, Richardson, Kalil or Luck at #4

    Chase Minnifield at #22

    What is you damn obsession with Minniefield? He WILL be there in the second round so CHILLLLLLL. I'd also like to see him in a Browns Uni but you would be reaching for him at 22.

  • @hoorta said:

    Gotta lower your expectations, kiddo. Here's some real world numbers. Williams will get an $80 million contract- take it to the bank- pun intended. We'll have to overpay like hell to persuade him to leave Super Bowl contender Houston, something Heckert is extremely unlikely to do. Franchise money for a wr receiver is $9.5 million so forget about Jackson, headcase problems aside. So you've already blown all the cap on two players.

    Not only that, once you have those two guys on board- it creates a ripple effect on salary demands from guys you already have on the team. Exhibit "A" would be the Browns picking up FA Raymond Clayborn from the Patriots for big bucks way back when. And you can't blame them. So we bring in Williams- Sheard has as many sacks- he's gonna say- "Well I'm playing as good as Mario, so now I want Mario money too."

    Another WR? Well Manningham is going to think he's worth Anquan Boldin money, which is around $8.5 million a year, not counting signing bonus. Adding a CB the caliber of Jonathan Joseph (5 year deal, $48.5 million) about $12 million up front = tilt. Your scenario might work if you're playing Madden, won't work for the Browns. Doubly, because with a 4-12 record, we're going to have to overpay anyone we get.

    Look no farther than the current Super Bowl teams, maybe only a couple of superstars- but a bunch of solid players and great coaching.

    Those are by no means my expectations. That is just what I would try and do. And I would get rid of as much dead weight I needed to to get it done.

    Also there is way in hell Manningham commands Boldin money. He has never had a Boldin type of year. His best year probably isn't as good as Boldins worst year.

    @jnuh said:

    Those are by no means my expectations. That is just what I would try and do. And I would get rid of as much dead weight I needed to to get it done.

    Also there is way in hell Manningham commands Boldin money. He has never had a Boldin type of year. His best year probably isn't as good as Boldins worst year.

    If you try and do that, you're going to have to unload 1\2 the the team in the process. BTW, Manningham has had a couple years as good as Boldin- but hasn't had the super stud years, so whoop-te-do, he'll only get $6 million a year. About $3 million more than he's worth- not a significant upgrade over Little.

  • @jnuh said:

    Those are by no means my expectations. That is just what I would try and do. And I would get rid of as much dead weight I needed to to get it done.

    Also there is way in hell Manningham commands Boldin money. He has never had a Boldin type of year. His best year probably isn't as good as Boldins worst year.

    If you try and do that, you're going to have to unload 1\2 the the team in the process. BTW, Manningham has had a couple years as good as Boldin- but hasn't had the super stud years, so whoop-te-do, he'll only get $6 million a year. About $3 million more than he's worth- not a significant upgrade over Little.

    @hoorta said:

    If you try and do that, you're going to have to unload 1\2 the the team in the process. BTW, Manningham has had a couple years as good as Boldin- but hasn't had the super stud years, so whoop-te-do, he'll only get $6 million a year. About $3 million more than he's worth- not a significant upgrade over Little.

    Our records for the last 3 years as you know are 5-11. 5-11 and 4-12. I am just fine with getting rid of half the crap on this team if we can bring in guys like DJax, Mario Williams, another good WR, and a good CB. We can fill the holes with rookies and lesser known free agents.

    As far as Boldin and Manningham. Boldins last 2 seasons have been un Boldin like in comparison to what he has done in the past. Those are the 2 years though that yuou can compare to Manninghams better years statistically. Boldin however got his money after the big years not after the Manningham like years. I also don't think Manningham will get overpaid because of the abundance of good WRs available this year in free agency. If Manningham gets paid according to what he has actually produced he could be good value because he does have some upside. My interest in Manningham would realy depend on his asking price.

    I agree about Manningham not being a significant upgrade over Litte. I wasn't looking to replace Little though. I was looking to add a good legit third option to go along with a guy like a Desean Jackson (or a big name WR) and Little.

  • @hoorta said:

    If you try and do that, you're going to have to unload 1\2 the the team in the process. BTW, Manningham has had a couple years as good as Boldin- but hasn't had the super stud years, so whoop-te-do, he'll only get $6 million a year. About $3 million more than he's worth- not a significant upgrade over Little.

    Our records for the last 3 years as you know are 5-11. 5-11 and 4-12. I am just fine with getting rid of half the crap on this team if we can bring in guys like DJax, Mario Williams, another good WR, and a good CB. We can fill the holes with rookies and lesser known free agents.

    As far as Boldin and Manningham. Boldins last 2 seasons have been un Boldin like in comparison to what he has done in the past. Those are the 2 years though that yuou can compare to Manninghams better years statistically. Boldin however got his money after the big years not after the Manningham like years. I also don't think Manningham will get overpaid because of the abundance of good WRs available this year in free agency. If Manningham gets paid according to what he has actually produced he could be good value because he does have some upside. My interest in Manningham would realy depend on his asking price.

    I agree about Manningham not being a significant upgrade over Litte. I wasn't looking to replace Little though. I was looking to add a good legit third option to go along with a guy like a Desean Jackson (or a big name WR) and Little.

    @jnuh said:

    Our records for the last 3 years as you know are 5-11. 5-11 and 4-12. I am just fine with getting rid of half the crap on this team if we can bring in guys like DJax, Mario Williams, another good WR, and a good CB. We can fill the holes with rookies and lesser known free agents.

    Holmgren already stated he is not making any major changes this offseason. Sure we will release some guys and sign new ones, but there is no way in hell that we get rid of half the team. So why make predictions that won't ever come true? You are just wasting your time..

  • That could be realistic in any sense of the word.

    I would like to see the Browns move down inbetween 6-10 if RG3 is on the board and one of the teams give us a call and we pick up their second round pick this year.

    Take Morris Claiborne 6-10

    Take Burfict at 22

    Sign Mario Willams in FA

    Sign Desean Jackson in FA

    Resign Peyton Hillis

    Offense Cordinater Hired

    A full productive off season.

    @represent said:

    That could be realistic in any sense of the word.

    I would like to see the Browns move down inbetween 6-10 if RG3 is on the board and one of the teams give us a call and we pick up their second round pick this year.

    Take Morris Claiborne 6-10

    Take Burfict at 22

    Sign Mario Willams in FA

    Sign Desean Jackson in FA

    Resign Peyton Hillis

    Offense Cordinater Hired

    A full productive off season.

    Mario is going to be a hard get. Every team in the NFL wants Mario.

  • I really think that Minnifeild wont fall to us in the 2nd, and if he does make it to the 2nd round there is no way that he makes it past Indy,STL or Minny all three of those teams need CBs and they will be quick to grab him if hes avaiable in the early 2nd...

  • @jnuh said:

    Our records for the last 3 years as you know are 5-11. 5-11 and 4-12. I am just fine with getting rid of half the crap on this team if we can bring in guys like DJax, Mario Williams, another good WR, and a good CB. We can fill the holes with rookies and lesser known free agents.

    Holmgren already stated he is not making any major changes this offseason. Sure we will release some guys and sign new ones, but there is no way in hell that we get rid of half the team. So why make predictions that won't ever come true? You are just wasting your time..

    @bringbackbrownie2 said:

    Holmgren already stated he is not making any major changes this offseason. Sure we will release some guys and sign new ones, but there is no way in hell that we get rid of half the team. So why make predictions that won't ever come true? You are just wasting your time..

    Who is making predictions? I just stated that if they needed to get rid of half there team I would be fine with it because most of the team sucks anyway

  • When does free agency start in reference to the draft? Because one is going to depend highly on the other.

  • I believe March 8th F/A starts and the draft is April 28th

  • Zombo said:

    Yes! What an addition he would be to that young defensive line. You pay him a boatload, but if you are expecting to be in the playoffs in two years you need these kind of vets.

    Guy is consistent as hell and would turn Sheard loose.

    Zombo

    And at 30 the guy will play at a high level for the duration of his 4 year contract.

  • @represent said:

    That could be realistic in any sense of the word.

    I would like to see the Browns move down inbetween 6-10 if RG3 is on the board and one of the teams give us a call and we pick up their second round pick this year.

    Take Morris Claiborne 6-10

    Take Burfict at 22

    Sign Mario Willams in FA

    Sign Desean Jackson in FA

    Resign Peyton Hillis

    Offense Cordinater Hired

    A full productive off season.

    This is a complete dream scenario if I have ever heard one. However, that COULD give us the best defense in the NFL assuming Burfict can keep his shit under control and stay on the field.

    @dawginit said:

    This is a complete dream scenario if I have ever heard one. However, that COULD give us the best defense in the NFL assuming Burfict can keep his shit under control and stay on the field.

    I don't understand why if something is laid out well it is considered a dream scenario, i thought it was completely realistic and would give us the most improvement possible this off season, any futher moves would be nice but any less could leave me wondering why we aren't willing to plug those holes for year 4 (2013) now so we do give ourselves a legitimate chance in the AFC north within two years.

    Yes i do believe if we drafted that way our defense would look completely nasty for the next few years and could start to be solid with only the need to fill gaps and not whole defenses.

    Offense i only resigned Hillis and threw a contract offer at a WR it could be anyone top tier i don't care but desean brings that added speed downfield and i am sorry Josh Cribbs just doesn't do that for us, so get us someone that has to have over the top help so our 5-15 yard pass game can actually open up.

    Does this make us a playoff contender next year if it exactly happened? Hard to say but in my opinion it would be taking steps in the right direction.

  • The guys at Sportsmasher.com have the Browns drafting:

    4) RGIII but mention that they will probably have to trade up to get him.

    22) Melvin Ingram - OLB/DE - South Carolina, fiery pass rusher.

    Full analysis here.

    Sportsmasher's Mock Draft 1.0

    Thoughts?

  • The guys at Sportsmasher.com have the Browns drafting:

    4) RGIII but mention that they will probably have to trade up to get him.

    22) Melvin Ingram - OLB/DE - South Carolina, fiery pass rusher.

    Full analysis here.

    Sportsmasher's Mock Draft 1.0

    Thoughts?

    @brownstown9 said:

    4) RGIII but mention that they will probably have to trade up to get him.

    22) Melvin Ingram - OLB/DE - South Carolina, fiery pass rusher.

    Thoughts?

    I wouldn't be unhappy with spending a round 1 or 2 pick every year on DE/DT talent. NYG has shown that's a path to success, and one of the strengths of our team is finally the DL. I remember watching games where the Browns started Robaire Smith, Corey Williams, etc - so anything's an upgrade over those fails. We definitely need to either draft or FA a good DE. If Ingram falls, snap him up.. all the mocks I've seen have him going earlier than 22 - at that spot he'll be BPA.

    I wouldn't be unhappy with RG3.

    After this we can draft Sanu or Minnifield at the top of 2 and they're both upgrades.

    The problem with this mock is.. they've got the Bengals wrong. Bengals will draft Janoris Jenkins, a t10-caliber CB who had to leave Florida. Reason is Leon Hall popped his Achilles last year, so he won't be good until 2013.

  • If Blackmon isn't available at 4, I'm starting to think more and more about trading back IF RGIII is there at 4. I'm not high on him. So we move back with Washington or Miami and take Coples. Would give us our only complete positional unit and a really good one at that. He would scare offenses and would draw so much attention that Sheard, Rubin, and Taylor would benefit sooooo much. Not to meantion he has the talent to get double digit sack totals every year. This way we would also pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick or maybe more.

  • Pick up Josh Norman- CB in the later rounds.

  • Heckert has said and has proven that he will not go after big name people through free agency! We will not get Williams, Djax (who is worse poison than T.O in my opinion) Vjax, or any other big name free agent. We will build through the draft and may get two or three cheap veteran FA's. I'd love to play madden with you guys and get my hopes up but its just not going to happen. No one wants to come to the browns either, so its us and our draft picks against the world. Now that being said, My predictions.. just a few scenarios.

    R1 #4...#6 We will not move up in the draft, and the picks will probably go luck, blackmon, kahlil. I see us probably trading back to washington. If anyone saw Quinton Coples at the senior bowl, I thought he did an excellent job. I would also looove to see us get Michael Floyd, who in my opinion is the best receiver in the entire class. This is a can't miss spot. Jonathon Martin is another I wouldn't mind seeing us get.

    My pick: Michael Floyd

    R1 #22: Burfict is the Troy Palamaulu of linebackers in my opinion. I've seen a good bit of videos and a few of his games. He could be one of the best in the game, and who cares if he is "too angry on the football field" Screw that.. james harrison is always mad, and from the looks of it, Burfict is faster. He can learn the OLB position, and that will give us someone who can rush the quarterback. Someone who can knock Big Ben on his ass! I think M Ingram is going to be a pretty darn big bust. He is short, has tiny arms, and will probably get manhandled on the next level, so please Tom H, do not draft him.

    My pick : Vontaze Burfict

    R2 #36: Dwayne Allen

    R2 #38 (from wash hopefully): Lamichael James. May be a round reach, but the dude is fast. What a great change of pace back if we resign Hillis. We need playmakers and I don't have a hard on for him, but the dude really is good, and I think he could be a little darren sproles.. maybe better.

    I think our line will be good next year. Draft a couple more later on, but I think Pinkston grew up a lot this year and lavao will only get better. Deep corner class and we will find someone.

  • Heckert has said and has proven that he will not go after big name people through free agency! We will not get Williams, Djax (who is worse poison than T.O in my opinion) Vjax, or any other big name free agent. We will build through the draft and may get two or three cheap veteran FA's. I'd love to play madden with you guys and get my hopes up but its just not going to happen. No one wants to come to the browns either, so its us and our draft picks against the world. Now that being said, My predictions.. just a few scenarios.

    R1 #4...#6 We will not move up in the draft, and the picks will probably go luck, blackmon, kahlil. I see us probably trading back to washington. If anyone saw Quinton Coples at the senior bowl, I thought he did an excellent job. I would also looove to see us get Michael Floyd, who in my opinion is the best receiver in the entire class. This is a can't miss spot. Jonathon Martin is another I wouldn't mind seeing us get.

    My pick: Michael Floyd

    R1 #22: Burfict is the Troy Palamaulu of linebackers in my opinion. I've seen a good bit of videos and a few of his games. He could be one of the best in the game, and who cares if he is "too angry on the football field" Screw that.. james harrison is always mad, and from the looks of it, Burfict is faster. He can learn the OLB position, and that will give us someone who can rush the quarterback. Someone who can knock Big Ben on his ass! I think M Ingram is going to be a pretty darn big bust. He is short, has tiny arms, and will probably get manhandled on the next level, so please Tom H, do not draft him.

    My pick : Vontaze Burfict

    R2 #36: Dwayne Allen

    R2 #38 (from wash hopefully): Lamichael James. May be a round reach, but the dude is fast. What a great change of pace back if we resign Hillis. We need playmakers and I don't have a hard on for him, but the dude really is good, and I think he could be a little darren sproles.. maybe better.

    I think our line will be good next year. Draft a couple more later on, but I think Pinkston grew up a lot this year and lavao will only get better. Deep corner class and we will find someone.

    @brownieelf_07 said:

    Heckert has said and has proven that he will not go after big name people through free agency! We will not get Williams, Djax (who is worse poison than T.O in my opinion) Vjax, or any other big name free agent. We will build through the draft and may get two or three cheap veteran FA's. I'd love to play madden with you guys and get my hopes up but its just not going to happen. No one wants to come to the browns either, so its us and our draft picks against the world. Now that being said, My predictions.. just a few scenarios.

    He never said he wouldn't go after big name people. He said he wasn't going to bring in people solely based on their name. He said they won't hesitate to make moves via Free Agency, if they are the best moves to make for the team. So far, no big name FA's have warranted being acquired, which I completely agree with. That's not to say they didn't make offers, they just didn't overpay like the teams that acquired said FA's had to do.

    I seem to remember people shitting themselves over us getting Ray Edwards, claiming Heckert didn't know what he was doing and sucked at his job.

    Ray Edwards 33 TACK, 3.5 SACK, 0 FF, 2 FR- Ray Edwards signed a 5 year, $30 million dollar contract.

    Jayme Mitchell 34 TACK, 1.5 SACK, 1 FF, 1 FR- Jayme Mitchell makes $2 million next season, in his final year of the contract.

    Sounds to me like Heckert made the right choice.

    Heckert will make the moves that make this team better overall. Personally, I believe adding Williams would be a good choice, but I can understand if we don't. This draft is deep in DE, and we have the picks to address that need.

    But to say he's flat out not going to sign big name guys because he hasn't so far is just ridiculous.