Tannehill At 4 ?
-
Cousins is far closer to being ready to step up and become
a wc offense qb. He would be in the second round.
It's either Blackmon or Richardson.
And after watching Richardson on his pro day - it's Richardson, I think.
I'd think Blackmon and Martin.... or Richardson and Hill/whatshisname from ND @@.
This draft is going to be crazy.

-
Cousins is far closer to being ready to step up and become
a wc offense qb. He would be in the second round.
It's either Blackmon or Richardson.
And after watching Richardson on his pro day - it's Richardson, I think.
I'd think Blackmon and Martin.... or Richardson and Hill/whatshisname from ND @@.
This draft is going to be crazy.

Cousins is far closer to being ready to step up and become
a wc offense qb. He would be in the second round.
It's either Blackmon or Richardson.
And after watching Richardson on his pro day - it's Richardson, I think.
I'd think Blackmon and Martin.... or Richardson and Hill/whatshisname from ND @@.
This draft is going to be crazy.

The WR from N.D. your thinking of is Floyd. IMO i think hes the best WR in the draft, hes just had some off field issues that have teams concerned. I would absolutely love it if we got T.R. with #4 and somehow traded up from 22 to nab Floyd. I seriously doubt he lasts until our pick at 22.
-
Agree on Floyd... I've had him over Blackmon ever since the Combine.
i'd take cousins in a second over tannehill.
As McEnroe would scream, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!"
He's got a slow draw, cycles through his reads... He's got a long way to go.
Slow draw??? Ryan fires from his right shoulder. His release is very quick.
And I thought cycling through read progressions was a good thing everywhere except the Derrick Anderson School of Quarterbacking.
Do agree that he is still raw. Given that he was only a starter for 1.5 years, that's not surprising. But it's the level of his performance with such limited experience that makes his upside potential so tantalizing.
Cousins is far closer to being ready to step up and become a wc offense qb.
This draft is going to be crazy.

Point is not who is closer now... it is who will be closer in 2013 and beyond.
Agree... it is going to be a wild one...
I'm not pushing for us to take Tannehill. I would not spend a top ten on him. But the kid is good and has potential to be a very good NFL QB.
-
I like Tannehill.
If we like what we see when he works out, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to take him. The bottom line is until you have a QB, you have to keep looking for one. That trumps everything else. You are kidding yourself if you think better parts make a poor QB better. They don't.
I'd select the kid and if in a few years it looks like he isn't the answer, you do it all again.
Plus, for those who want to give Colt another shot....he'll get one. Tannehill won't start out of the gate, which is good. If Colt hits a stride, then we have some quality trade bate in a few years when we decide which guy we keep.
Also...we have another first rounder, so whichever QB gets selected, we will indeed be able to bring in some parts that will help fill the puzzle. This draft has loads of good receivers and backs. I could see us getting both Wright and Martin with our next two picks, then look for a RT in round 3 if indeed we can't manage to bring in a big body via free agency. There are still several good players to be had.
If we like Tannehill, he has to be the pick. There is no reason not to take him. Remember, this is about what the Browns think of the guy. Not what you or I think of him. If they like him, he's the pick.
-
Agree on Floyd... I've had him over Blackmon ever since the Combine.
i'd take cousins in a second over tannehill.
As McEnroe would scream, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!"
He's got a slow draw, cycles through his reads... He's got a long way to go.
Slow draw??? Ryan fires from his right shoulder. His release is very quick.
And I thought cycling through read progressions was a good thing everywhere except the Derrick Anderson School of Quarterbacking.
Do agree that he is still raw. Given that he was only a starter for 1.5 years, that's not surprising. But it's the level of his performance with such limited experience that makes his upside potential so tantalizing.
Cousins is far closer to being ready to step up and become a wc offense qb.
This draft is going to be crazy.

Point is not who is closer now... it is who will be closer in 2013 and beyond.
Agree... it is going to be a wild one...
I'm not pushing for us to take Tannehill. I would not spend a top ten on him. But the kid is good and has potential to be a very good NFL QB.
Agree on Floyd... I've had him over Blackmon ever since the Combine.
As McEnroe would scream, "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!"
Slow draw??? Ryan fires from his right shoulder. His release is very quick.
And I thought cycling through read progressions was a good thing everywhere except the Derrick Anderson School of Quarterbacking.
Do agree that he is still raw. Given that he was only a starter for 1.5 years, that's not surprising. But it's the level of his performance with such limited experience that makes his upside potential so tantalizing.
Point is not who is closer now... it is who will be closer in 2013 and beyond.
Agree... it is going to be a wild one...
I'm not pushing for us to take Tannehill. I would not spend a top ten on him. But the kid is good and has potential to be a very good NFL QB.
By "slow draw," I mean it takes too long from decision to release. He strides into his throws. I takes him a while to throw his weight up on his front foot. And he actually over-does it. He's really front heavy when he throws in a free pocket.
And when I say "cycles" through his reads I'm talking about how long it takes him to process what he sees. You can see him read-process-read-process. It's not natural. It's not instinctive. Luck goes through reads like his skimming a McDonalds menu - he instantly knows what he's looking at. Tannehill progresses through reads like someone handed him the French menu... I mean he knows French, but he's still translating it in his head.
Overall, he does nothing to impress me as a first round pick.
-jj
-
At the end of the day, it dont matter whi is quarterbacking for us if they do not have weapons. We are in a rare position to take a top 3 wr and top 3 rb in the 1st round. They will draft a qb but not until the 3rd round or so. After all the shananagans with how they tried to get rg3 and inquired about Bradford, they have to come back to Colt with full support.
-
All I know is I want this kid's PR staff. They are amazing. This guy assembles a year and a half's worth of marginal tape, then goes three months without throwing a pass and suddenly, he's a top 10 pick? There is nothing about his kid that says he's anything but a long shot. He's got a slow draw, cycles through his reads... He's got a long way to go.
-jj
All I know is I want this kid's PR staff. They are amazing. This guy assembles a year and a half's worth of marginal tape, then goes three months without throwing a pass and suddenly, he's a top 10 pick? There is nothing about his kid that says he's anything but a long shot. He's got a slow draw, cycles through his reads... He's got a long way to go.
-jj
This^^^^
Zombo
-
The best player on the board will be Richardson. If they take this stiff QB over him, Blackmon, or the CB, then I'm dropping my season tickets. No kidding.
The best player on the board will be Richardson. If they take this stiff QB over him, Blackmon, or the CB, then I'm dropping my season tickets. No kidding.
I agree. Tannehill is a stiff and Richardson and Blackmon are game changers.
Zombo
--but I would probably still buy Roach's tickets even if we took the stiff
-
The best player on the board will be Richardson. If they take this stiff QB over him, Blackmon, or the CB, then I'm dropping my season tickets. No kidding.
The best player on the board will be Richardson. If they take this stiff QB over him, Blackmon, or the CB, then I'm dropping my season tickets. No kidding.
Yeah I'm hoping its going to be Richardson myself, as to me he seems the one that will be able to make an impact straight away and without needing too much help from others, Tannehill might be looking good, but he is an expensive project QB to waste a #4 on him, with those extra compensatory picks we have got, let Holmgren try and work a miracle out of a lower round QB, Weedon also would be a waste as would have to use 2nd round to get him, and I dont believe many think he is Franchise material. So go with Colt this year with the couple good weapons added to the mix, and come next year if Colt is still lacking what we want, then try and go all in again if the Franchise QB is there that is going to make the difference.
-
Cousins is far closer to being ready to step up and become
a wc offense qb. He would be in the second round.
It's either Blackmon or Richardson.
And after watching Richardson on his pro day - it's Richardson, I think.
I'd think Blackmon and Martin.... or Richardson and Hill/whatshisname from ND @@.
This draft is going to be crazy.

The WR from N.D. your thinking of is Floyd. IMO i think hes the best WR in the draft, hes just had some off field issues that have teams concerned. I would absolutely love it if we got T.R. with #4 and somehow traded up from 22 to nab Floyd. I seriously doubt he lasts until our pick at 22.
The WR from N.D. your thinking of is Floyd. IMO i think hes the best WR in the draft, hes just had some off field issues that have teams concerned. I would absolutely love it if we got T.R. with #4 and somehow traded up from 22 to nab Floyd. I seriously doubt he lasts until our pick at 22.
I Like this idea too. Who wouldn't want to add a 3 down back and a #1 WR in one draft.
Find a RT, and add one depth guy at each level of the defense and let's see what Colt can do.
-
I like Tannehill.
If we like what we see when he works out, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to take him. The bottom line is until you have a QB, you have to keep looking for one. That trumps everything else. You are kidding yourself if you think better parts make a poor QB better. They don't.
I'd select the kid and if in a few years it looks like he isn't the answer, you do it all again.
Plus, for those who want to give Colt another shot....he'll get one. Tannehill won't start out of the gate, which is good. If Colt hits a stride, then we have some quality trade bate in a few years when we decide which guy we keep.
Also...we have another first rounder, so whichever QB gets selected, we will indeed be able to bring in some parts that will help fill the puzzle. This draft has loads of good receivers and backs. I could see us getting both Wright and Martin with our next two picks, then look for a RT in round 3 if indeed we can't manage to bring in a big body via free agency. There are still several good players to be had.
If we like Tannehill, he has to be the pick. There is no reason not to take him. Remember, this is about what the Browns think of the guy. Not what you or I think of him. If they like him, he's the pick.
I'd select the kid and if in a few years it looks like he isn't the answer, you do it all again.
Don't agree at all with this line of thinking especially when you aren't close to putting the pieces together to support a QB. This is a great strategy to stay in the bottom of a division. We've worked this strategy well.
Right now Jax., and Minnesota are in trouble in my opinion. They will go another two years trying out Gabbert and Ponder and they will probably be selecting a QB again in 2014. 5-11 6-10 football. We invested a 3rd round pick in Colt- I must say after watching all three we are fine in comparison. Gabbert looked awful.
I would rather overpay for a decent free agent- where you know what you are getting to an extent than taking a 2nd round QB with a hard earned #4 overall draft pick.
Did this guy show up in any big game last season? Let's at least take a winner.
-
All I know is I want this kid's PR staff. They are amazing. This guy assembles a year and a half's worth of marginal tape, then goes three months without throwing a pass and suddenly, he's a top 10 pick? There is nothing about his kid that says he's anything but a long shot. He's got a slow draw, cycles through his reads... He's got a long way to go.
-jj
All I know is I want this kid's PR staff. They are amazing. This guy assembles a year and a half's worth of marginal tape, then goes three months without throwing a pass and suddenly, he's a top 10 pick? There is nothing about his kid that says he's anything but a long shot. He's got a slow draw, cycles through his reads... He's got a long way to go.
-jj
Someone's going to reach for this kid in the draft just like the Jags and Vikes did last year- using a first round pick on second round talent. I just hope it's not us.
Take Richardson or Blackmon with the pick. Go for your project qb with one of the fourth rounders. And IMO Tannehill is a project- he's a converted WR fer cripes sake! Our departed Shepster did have one telling stat- the # of games you started as qb in college does have some predictive value as to how well you'll do in the pros.
-
All I know is I want this kid's PR staff. They are amazing. This guy assembles a year and a half's worth of marginal tape, then goes three months without throwing a pass and suddenly, he's a top 10 pick? There is nothing about his kid that says he's anything but a long shot. He's got a slow draw, cycles through his reads... He's got a long way to go.
-jj
Someone's going to reach for this kid in the draft just like the Jags and Vikes did last year- using a first round pick on second round talent. I just hope it's not us.
Take Richardson or Blackmon with the pick. Go for your project qb with one of the fourth rounders. And IMO Tannehill is a project- he's a converted WR fer cripes sake! Our departed Shepster did have one telling stat- the # of games you started as qb in college does have some predictive value as to how well you'll do in the pros.
Someone's going to reach for this kid in the draft just like the Jags and Vikes did last year- using a first round pick on second round talent. I just hope it's not us.
Take Richardson or Blackmon with the pick. Go for your project qb with one of the fourth rounders. And IMO Tannehill is a project- he's a converted WR fer cripes sake! Our departed Shepster did have one telling stat- the # of games you started as qb in college does have some predictive value as to how well you'll do in the pros.
The Colt McCoy detractors might argue, seeing that he started probably as many college football games as anyone in history. And look at this article about who are rated the greatest college football Quarterbacks of all time:
The top ten ...
10. Michael Vick, Virginia Tech
In hindsight, and with Vince Young's career a recent memory, it's easy to forget what an impact Vick had on the game. He was a revolutionary playmaker who helped carry the Hokies to the 1999 championship game losing to Florida State in a classic. He lost two games in his career with the second at Miami in 2000.
9. Charlie Ward, Florida State
I'm not nearly as high on him as others are even though he went 23-2 as a starter. While he was one of the game's ultimate all-around quarterbacks and the signature offensive star of the great Bobby Bowden era at Florida State, he was average in the national title win over Nebraska and lost to Notre Dame in the biggest game of the 1993 season.
8. Roger Staubach, Navy
Staubach carried an average Navy team to a 9-1 record and number two ranking in 1963 before losing to undefeated Texas in the Cotton Bowl. One of the games greatest all-around quarterbacks, he completed 292 of 463 career passes and piled up 4,253 yards of total offense.
7. Ken Dorsey, Miami
Even with a 38-2 record, 31 straight games with a touchdown pass, one national title, and a questionable pass interference call and a Willis McGahee injury from another, the two-time Heisman finalist still doesn't get his just due. He was just a product of a great system with a boatload of talent around him, right? How did Vinny Testaverde do in his national title appearance with that great 1986 Hurricane team? How has Miami done since Dorsey? When you're the most successful Miami quarterback of all-time, you belong on the list of greats.
6. Davey O'Brien, TCU
There's a reason the award for the nation's top quarterback is named after him. The 1938 Heisman winner led the nation in passing in 1936 and 1937, and finished his career with 24 TD passes, 2,659 yards (remember the era we're talking about), 928 rushing yards and ten touchdown runs along with being a star kick returner and defensive back. Even at only 5-7 and 150 pounds, he was tough as nails and was a consummate leader.
5. Danny Wuerffel, Florida
Wuerffel put up mind boggling stats against some of the nation's best teams completing 708 of 1,170 passes for 10,875 yards and 114 touchdowns. During his career, the Gators played 22 ranked teams finishing with one national title and another national title appearance. How many national championship games has Steve Spurrier been to without No. 7? Zero. Wuerffel's career passer rating of 163.56 was the best in major college football history including a 178.4 rating in 1995. He was the only college passer to ever have back-to-back seasons with over a 170 passer rating.
4. Vince Young, Texas
With the Rose Bowl still fresh in everyone's minds, Young might be the number one choice of many. It came down to overall accomplishments which kept VY out of the top three despite being a transcendent star who came up with one of the greatest performances ever in the win over USC. Had he come back for his senior year and led Texas to another title, he'd have been number one on this list.
3. Sammy Baugh, TCU
This isn't the pretentious nod to history that you might think. Back in 1934, the passing game in college football wasn't just in it's infancy, it was almost non-existent. Remembering what time period he did this in, Baugh was amazing completing 285 of 597 career passes for 3,471 yards and 39 touchdowns. He led the 1935 Horned Frogs to the national title.
2. Matt Leinart, USC
Everyone came out of the 2006 Rose Bowl talking about Vince Young, and rightly so, while Leinart's brilliant performance was swept aside. Talk about your money players, the guy went 39-2 as a starter, completed 70 of 109 passes for 1,024 yards, nine touchdowns and one interception in his three bowl games. He won a Heisman, was in the mix for another, won a BCS national title, two AP national titles, and was the leader of one of the great runs in the history of college football. The career stats are amazing: 807-1,245 (65%), 10,693 yards, 99 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, nine rushing touchdowns, one touchdown catch.
1. Tommie Frazier, Nebraska
Before Frazier came to Nebraska, the Huskers had only beaten one top 20 team in four years. That all changed as he became the heart and soul of one of the most dominant teams college football ever saw leading the Huskers to a 13-2 record (when he started) over AP ranked teams only losing to Florida State in two Orange Bowls. Even though he missed several games with a blood clot in his leg, Frazier still won 33 and took the Huskers to three straight national championship games, winning two, and coming within a late field goal of winning a third. Fine, so he only completed 49% of his throws, but he threw 43 touchdown passes with only 11 interceptions. By the time he left Lincoln, he was the career leader in total offense with 5,476 yards, touchdown passes, rushing touchdowns by a QB with 36, and total offensive touchdowns for a career with 79. Those stats don't even take into account his bowl performances led by the 199-yard rushing day in the win over Florida.
I guess if you were a great college QB prior to say, 1964, it translates, but this is a pretty poor list when it comes to NFL success.
And by the way, here is the list of the honorable mentions from that report:
Ty Detmer, Archie Manning, Steve Walsh, Jamelle Holloway, Doug Flutie, Payton Manning.
-
@mike-h said:
Would you say Gabbert, Locker and Ponder were top 12 picks?
Tannehill is a top 10 pick if teams value him as one.
I don't agree but that's reality... You can make every pertinent argument in the world on why he shouldn't be a top 10 pick and I'd agree.
But if someone picks him, it makes it all irrelevant, no?
If someone picks him and he flops that someone should be fired.
-
I prefer ANYTHING to Tannehill at #4. From what I've heard/read, he's not ready to start this year. McCoy may not be the answer but why draft a QB at #4 overall if he's not ready to start week 1? Any of the other options are at least ready to make an impact on the team when the season opens. I'd be happier with another offensive lineman than a QB who needs a year or two to learn before he's ready to start.
-
@mike-h said:
H&H have nothing to lose, if McCoy is so bad I don't see why you people would be so against taking Tannehill?
He's not that far off from RGIII and he hasn't even reached his potential yet. (17 starts)
I'd still prefer Blackmon or Floyd to Tannehill or Richardson.
Because he's just another guy and he is far off from Griffin in my opinion.
The Browns were willing to part with three first round picks because they were anxious to get Griffin, not replace McCoy.
McCoy appears to be Plan b.
Which is fine, there's always next year, and in my opinion a better option than spending #4 on a question mark like Tannehill.
Zombo
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
:lol: 
