Skip to content

Our Next Coach Will Be?

The Browns Board
73 32 4.7k
  • Rick Dennison OC of Houston.

    Linebacker Denver Broncos 82-90

    Special Teams Coach,Offensive Line Coach,Offensive Coordinator Denver 95-2008

    Offensive Coordinator Houston 2010- Present

    1000 yard rushers coached under Dennison

    Terrel Davis

    Tatum Bell

    Olandis Gary

    Mike Anderson

    Rueben Droughns

    Clinton Portis

    Arian Foster

    Ben Tate 942*

    Bring in John Benton current Texans O-Line coach also a long time student of the zone blocking scheme to run the Offense.

    And bring in Bernie as our new GM.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    Rick Dennison OC of Houston.

    Linebacker Denver Broncos 82-90

    Special Teams Coach,Offensive Line Coach,Offensive Coordinator Denver 95-2008

    Offensive Coordinator Houston 2010- Present

    1000 yard rushers coached under Dennison

    Terrel Davis

    Tatum Bell

    Olandis Gary

    Mike Anderson

    Rueben Droughns

    Clinton Portis

    Arian Foster

    Ben Tate 942*

    Bring in John Benton current Texans O-Line coach also a long time student of the zone blocking scheme to run the Offense.

    And bring in Bernie as our new GM.

    Thats a good one. IMHO we should keep Jauron and all of the defensive coaches. He showed last yr that he deserves the job. But, we desperately need an offensive-minded HC and better position coaches. Holmgren had the right idea with Shurmur but he just seems like an idiot. And, Childress is useless as well. Neither one of these guys can call plays.

    Bring in a HC to coach and an OC to call plays. That's the way it should be. I like the guy from Houston... as an OC but we need a true motivator HC to inspire this team that's been like a bump on a log for too long.

  • @badnewsbrowns said:

    Rick Dennison OC of Houston.

    Linebacker Denver Broncos 82-90

    Special Teams Coach,Offensive Line Coach,Offensive Coordinator Denver 95-2008

    Offensive Coordinator Houston 2010- Present

    1000 yard rushers coached under Dennison

    Terrel Davis

    Tatum Bell

    Olandis Gary

    Mike Anderson

    Rueben Droughns

    Clinton Portis

    Arian Foster

    Ben Tate 942*

    Bring in John Benton current Texans O-Line coach also a long time student of the zone blocking scheme to run the Offense.

    And bring in Bernie as our new GM.

    Thats a good one. IMHO we should keep Jauron and all of the defensive coaches. He showed last yr that he deserves the job. But, we desperately need an offensive-minded HC and better position coaches. Holmgren had the right idea with Shurmur but he just seems like an idiot. And, Childress is useless as well. Neither one of these guys can call plays.

    Bring in a HC to coach and an OC to call plays. That's the way it should be. I like the guy from Houston... as an OC but we need a true motivator HC to inspire this team that's been like a bump on a log for too long.

    @thenew23 said:

    Thats a good one. IMHO we should keep Jauron and all of the defensive coaches. He showed last yr that he deserves the job. But, we desperately need an offensive-minded HC and better position coaches. Holmgren had the right idea with Shurmur but he just seems like an idiot. And, Childress is useless as well. Neither one of these guys can call plays.

    Bring in a HC to coach and an OC to call plays. That's the way it should be. I like the guy from Houston... as an OC but we need a true motivator HC to inspire this team that's been like a bump on a log for too long.

    i agree with everything you said.

    now here's the question: who would you pick as the next HC?

  • Nobody is going anywhere, not right now anyways. Is it that much of a surprise that it's NOW, on the cusp of us turning the corner and taking the playoffs by storm, imposing our will on defense and hitting the offense with big plays, when once we turn this around the Browns product will skyrocket. Just look at what Hillis did in one OKAY year! Everyone wants to see the Browns stomp ass. We're in the right direction and Haslam is just the first to make a bid... there will be more.

    The Cleveland Browns are one of the biggest and best franchises in all of sports.

    The Browns will start to win... now.

  • I didn't vote as I am elated that we are starting a relationship with a passionate OWNER who is also a football FAN. I totally trust what he will do. That being said, I have seen NO ONE able to dissect a play or situation better than Bernie Kosar & am hoping there is a place in the Haslam/Browns' family for this brilliant football mind.

    To once again use one of MY favorite sayings (inherited from Dad)......"We'll see".

    Mike

  • Nobody is going anywhere, not right now anyways. Is it that much of a surprise that it's NOW, on the cusp of us turning the corner and taking the playoffs by storm, imposing our will on defense and hitting the offense with big plays, when once we turn this around the Browns product will skyrocket. Just look at what Hillis did in one OKAY year! Everyone wants to see the Browns stomp ass. We're in the right direction and Haslam is just the first to make a bid... there will be more.

    The Cleveland Browns are one of the biggest and best franchises in all of sports.

    The Browns will start to win... now.

    @poeticg said:

    The Browns will start to win... now.

    well then you better hope an offensive line drops from the sky, if not 'your' boy TRich will be having more 19 for 39, 2.1 yds per gain games.

  • The train is just getting started, but once he gets some momentum, what's going to stop the train?

    Our O-line will respond. They've been blocking for Hardesty and Jackson for the last month. They are not the same caliber of runningback as Richardson is. He will INSPIRE them with his die-hard running and never giving up on a play. They will gel very soon and with a player like 33 behind them it will push them so much harder and then consistency comes in where they will know what is the best point of attack for TRENT to hit them on... do you know what I'm sayin? Let's get some coals in the furnace and get this train moving!!! Go Browns.

  • They guy who posts videos on here and pronounces it HOLMGRUM. He really seems to have it together.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Do the harbaughs have another brother? Hire him.

    Just scrolling through to post this exact comment.... too late... 😁

    As for the rest...

    I'm not a Gruden fan. He won with an inherited TB team and then tore it apart. Too volatile for my taste.

    Saban has burned his NFL bridges as far as I am concerned with the way he fucked over the Fins. Besides he has all the spotlight and $$$ he needs at Bama.

    I think Cowher is interesting. I have no doubt that his fire would reignite in a heart beat. And vs Gruden I think it's the right amount of fire. Plus if he doesn't take a job soon, the calls will dwindle to zero...

    Billick - Nothing there but ego...

    Reid - Why go after another "can't do it" retread?

    Mooch - no

    Holmgren - hell no...

    What about Jim Tressel? Always thought he was cast in the mold of Bill Walsh, and in the NFL there are no rules against free tattoos...

    @tour2ma said:

    Just scrolling through to post this exact comment.... too late... 😁

    As for the rest...

    I'm not a Gruden fan. He won with an inherited TB team and then tore it apart. Too volatile for my taste.

    Saban has burned his NFL bridges as far as I am concerned with the way he fucked over the Fins. Besides he has all the spotlight and $$$ he needs at Bama.

    I think Cowher is interesting. I have no doubt that his fire would reignite in a heart beat. And vs Gruden I think it's the right amount of fire. Plus if he doesn't take a job soon, the calls will dwindle to zero...

    Billick - Nothing there but ego...

    Reid - Why go after another "can't do it" retread?

    Mooch - no

    Holmgren - hell no...

    What about Jim Tressel? Always thought he was cast in the mold of Bill Walsh, and in the NFL there are no rules against free tattoos...

    No way on Tressel. I loved him at Ohio State, but I hated his offense. Ohio State gave me hear palpatations all the time with their nail biter wins all the time. He's to conservative IMO.

  • @badnewsbrowns said:

    When was Shurmur ever a hot assistant? lol

    I agree with the point some people have made before on these boards in that some of these guys like Cowher,Gruden etc. have lost their fire.

    Honestly I think Gruden is a bit overrated anyhow, he won the Superbowl with Dungy's team.

    I would rather us get our own guy who is hungry and ready to make a name for himself rather than trying to latch onto some has been.

    Just please let it be some guy with passion and an attitude , not one of these dull mr. nice guy pussies we always hire.

    Mangini was about the only guy we hired who actually had us playing some tough football, maybe part of that was Rob Ryan you got to love his enthusiasm.

    I'm still liking the O-Line guys and O-coordinator from Houston.

    They know the zone blocking running scheme from Alex Gibbs,Gary Kubiak that turns every running back into a pro-bowler and it would fit like a glove with Richardson.

    I would agree Cowher has lost his fire, but Gruden is stll BURNING HOT AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Tough football doesn't win anymore............. The last "TOUGH" football team that won a Superbowl was the 2000-2001 Ravens. The Stoolers have won it since then, but they didn't win ANYTHING until the rapist started throwing the ball.

    To win in 2012 and beyond, the winner needs a GREAT offense.

    It's no surprise the worst defensive teams last year ( New England, Green Bay) had the best records. And the worst rushing offensive team ( GIANTS ) actually won the Superbowl. It's all about the QB and the men catching the ball.

    @browns149 said:

    It's no surprise the worst defensive teams last year ( New England, Green Bay) had the best records. And the worst rushing offensive team ( GIANTS ) actually won the Superbowl. It's all about the QB and the men catching the ball.

    You are only looking at a few statistics so your conclusion is very biased. New England and Green Bay may have given up the most yardage last year but also forced the most turnovers. So were they truly the worst two defenses in the league last year?

    Also, the giants had a terrible rushing game the first half of the season and then turned it on the last 5 games of the season and through the playoffs. IMO Their 9-7 record shows that had their rushing game been as effective as it was late in the season, they would have won more regular season games. The giants would not have won the Super Bowl had their running game not improved (And don't forget their solid defense).

  • @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    He is a fucking phony, He is a TV announcer, What next, you are going to tell us how much " FIRE" Brent Mussberger or Bob Costas has?

    GRUDEN IS NOT A FOOTBALL MAN................... HE IS A TELEVISION MAN. That is the choice HE MADE. What kind of fire is that?

    I agree with the fact the fact that Gruden has lost his fire, but he is not a football man ? The guy has been a headcoach for 10 years. The guy has won the superbowl once and been the divisional championship once with a different team. Only once in his head coaching span was he 4 - 12. He has over the decade done more in the NFL than the returning Browns franchise.

    He may lack the fire but he sure sounds like a football guy to me.

  • How can people assume they know that any former-now-on-tv-ex-NFL-coach has lost his fire. Because they moved to TV? That's not a legit reason to assume so. I'd take a dead lifeless Cowher over Shurmur. Embalm that frickin' chin and put it on the sideline and as the team comes out they can rub it for inspiration alone. That would be better than Shurmur calling plays... Teams runs out and yells "For the Chin"...

  • Childress?jauron?

  • Jauron is a better choice I think, at least for interim coach. He's been a brown longer and his defense is good.

  • Idk who the next HC will be, but there is a real promising coach on the Steelers staff that has quietly been making waves. I think his name is Kieth Butler. I would not rule him out.

  • Idk who the next HC will be, but there is a real promising coach on the Steelers staff that has quietly been making waves. I think his name is Kieth Butler. I would not rule him out.

    @htownbrown said:

    Idk who the next HC will be, but there is a real promising coach on the Steelers staff that has quietly been making waves. I think his name is Kieth Butler. I would not rule him out.

    I did wiki him and learn how good he is at getting his linebackers to be in pro bowl quality. Also says he is in like to be the DC for the Steelers.

  • I think its to early to change coaches. BUT if it were to happen I'd take a hard look at Jay Gruden or Kevin Gilbride.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Just scrolling through to post this exact comment.... too late... 😁

    As for the rest...

    I'm not a Gruden fan. He won with an inherited TB team and then tore it apart. Too volatile for my taste.

    Saban has burned his NFL bridges as far as I am concerned with the way he fucked over the Fins. Besides he has all the spotlight and $$$ he needs at Bama.

    I think Cowher is interesting. I have no doubt that his fire would reignite in a heart beat. And vs Gruden I think it's the right amount of fire. Plus if he doesn't take a job soon, the calls will dwindle to zero...

    Billick - Nothing there but ego...

    Reid - Why go after another "can't do it" retread?

    Mooch - no

    Holmgren - hell no...

    What about Jim Tressel? Always thought he was cast in the mold of Bill Walsh, and in the NFL there are no rules against free tattoos...

    No way on Tressel. I loved him at Ohio State, but I hated his offense. Ohio State gave me hear palpatations all the time with their nail biter wins all the time. He's to conservative IMO.

    @brownskidd said:

    No way on Tressel. I loved him at Ohio State, but I hated his offense. Ohio State gave me hear palpatations all the time with their nail biter wins all the time. He's to conservative IMO.

    I hear you, but I think it's hard to argue against Tressel's record at every level he's coached.

    Here's another name for consideration... Mangini... Not that we owe him anything, but Holgren shafted him but good to pave the way for Shurmurman...

  • Formerly Sane said:

    The problem Cleveland has had with head coaches for the last 50 years is that a proven head coach will never come to Cleveland and the front office keeps trying to find a diamond in the rough and they are not equipped to choose the right guy. And then the organization is not willing to give the guy the time it requires to take a franchise with zero foundation to competitiveness. So it's been a constant stream of guys who were not ready, were held back by Browns management, or had no business being a head coach.

    The new owner may convince a proven head coach to come here but not likely.

    The new owner and his management may know how to interview for a budding head coach......time will tell.

    I don't think it is a matter of having a "proven" HQ. Only two coaches in history have won a title with one team, then won again with another team: Guy Chamberlain and Weeb Ewbank.

    A few others have gone to another team and lost a title game: like Bill Parcells and Mike Holmgren and a few before them.

    Most "top" coaches succeed either at their first gig... Walsh, Noll, and the like...or they succeed somewhere else after they have failed....like Belichick.

    So the odds would be highly against a Gruden, Cowher, Dungy etc. from coming here and making this a championship caliber team.

    That is why I would advocate perhaps for a Nick Saban. I could see him being sort of a current day Jimmy Johnson.

  • For the love of all things holy you do NOT want Jauron unless he's keeping the seat warm for someone else.

  • Formerly Sane said:

    Mamngini is probably the best candidate. He was doing the right things, trying to build a long term permanent solution. However, Browns fans and media are not interested in being solid, they want to win now........regardless of the fcat that it doesn't work that way

    Great post. I am glad that you included the media in this. They are clueless and partly to blame for why the Browns have been so bad since they came back. You have guys like Grossi trying to invent stories- Colt is getting traded e.g. or chances of Weeden getting benched in game 2 are 50-50- and undermine what the organization is trying to do. Also, most of these so called reporters don't actually do any actual analysis or research. Instead, they just jar off with their opinions. They set a really low bar. Whenever I watch the press conferences on the Browns' website I feel for Shurmur having to answer the same dumb questions day in and day out. I rarely hear a question that involves any knowledge of football or that I am actually interested in hearing answered. I guess what I am trying to say is lets do something different for a change and try stability for five years, and then give this guys a pass or fail grade.