Skip to content

Who The Browns Must Reach For In Fa

The Browns Board
80 30 3.9k
  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I hope everybody knows thag Dawson WILL NOT be back with the Browns. Hes either retiring or going to play closer to his Texas home. And weve already franchised him twice, a third time will be about 15 million dollars.

    I think that tag price would go into affect after the 2013 season. We looked it up in the NFLPA CBA and it's kind of hard to understand the language, because it is written by lawyers, for lawyers to read. But it is in article 10 if you would like to read it for yourself.

    http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @browns149 said:

    I think that tag price would go into affect after the 2013 season. We looked it up in the NFLPA CBA and it's kind of hard to understand the language, because it is written by lawyers, for lawyers to read. But it is in article 10 if you would like to read it for yourself.

    http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

    I dont read lawyer lol. Ill trust Pluto

    http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2012/12/keep_phil_dawson_or_kick_yours.html

  • Top FA you shoot for

    WR. Dwayne Bowe

    WR. Wes Welker

    WR. Greg Jennings

    OLB/DL. Shawne Merrimen

    DL. Osi Umenyiora

    LB. Keith Brooking

    LB. Rey Maualuga

    CB. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

    Guys i wouldn't mind signing.

    DL. Richard Seymour

    LB. Dwight Freeny

    WR. Ted Ginn Jr

    "Cough" Mike Wallace

    Franchise Phil Dawson

    BendMeOverB BendMeOver wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @represent said:

    "Cough" Mike Wallace

    Mike Wallace will undoubtedly come cheaper this year. Last year he was seeking Fitzgerald money ($11M) and the Steelers offered $8.5M to which he refused. Wallace held out most of camp and really wasn't much of an impact player for the Steelers last year (as he didn't know the playbook). Now with the Steelers not really expecting to resign him he will go to another team and Arizona is really the only team where he will "know" the offense.

    Mike Wallace will probably garner a $5M to $6M contract and he'll probably only want to sign for 1-2 years (believing he can get Fitzgerald money later). However, that would be a stupid assumption, as his biggest asset is speed and he'll start losing that elite speed soon. Is he worth it? I'd still like to see him stay on as a Steeler and I think he will play better. All-in-all, he only knows about 6-9 go routes and looking at him without speed there's a ton of better recievers you can sign. There's no way he re-signs with Pittsburgh for $5-$6M with Brown making $8.5M. I don't see the Steelers offering him $8.5M again after last season.

    I don't think he'll make a big impact in 2013 on a new team...if you get him, he'll probably help you out in 2014.

  • @represent said:

    "Cough" Mike Wallace

    Mike Wallace will undoubtedly come cheaper this year. Last year he was seeking Fitzgerald money ($11M) and the Steelers offered $8.5M to which he refused. Wallace held out most of camp and really wasn't much of an impact player for the Steelers last year (as he didn't know the playbook). Now with the Steelers not really expecting to resign him he will go to another team and Arizona is really the only team where he will "know" the offense.

    Mike Wallace will probably garner a $5M to $6M contract and he'll probably only want to sign for 1-2 years (believing he can get Fitzgerald money later). However, that would be a stupid assumption, as his biggest asset is speed and he'll start losing that elite speed soon. Is he worth it? I'd still like to see him stay on as a Steeler and I think he will play better. All-in-all, he only knows about 6-9 go routes and looking at him without speed there's a ton of better recievers you can sign. There's no way he re-signs with Pittsburgh for $5-$6M with Brown making $8.5M. I don't see the Steelers offering him $8.5M again after last season.

    I don't think he'll make a big impact in 2013 on a new team...if you get him, he'll probably help you out in 2014.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Endymion said:

    Mike Wallace will undoubtedly come cheaper this year. Last year he was seeking Fitzgerald money ($11M) and the Steelers offered $8.5M to which he refused. Wallace held out most of camp and really wasn't much of an impact player for the Steelers last year (as he didn't know the playbook). Now with the Steelers not really expecting to resign him he will go to another team and Arizona is really the only team where he will "know" the offense.

    Mike Wallace will probably garner a $5M to $6M contract and he'll probably only want to sign for 1-2 years (believing he can get Fitzgerald money later). Is he worth it? I'd still like to see him stay on as a Steeler and I think he will play better. There's no way he resigns with Pittsburgh for $5-$6M with Brown making $8.5M. I don't see the Steelers offering him $8.5M again after last season.

    I don't think he'll make a big impact in 2013 on a new team...if you get him, he'll probably help you out in 2014.

    So, you think the Bruce Arians offense made him and that he is likely to go play with Bruce in the desert?

  • Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Hoorta im not so sure on welker. I think he was kind of pissed about the franchise tag last offseason. I dont think N.E. even gave him a sniff of any contract negotiations. He had the drop in the superbowl and a couple on sunday against the ravens.

    great slot receiver plays with alot of heart but the drops in the clutch may hurt him.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #38

    Fujita is horrible - he should not be in the league next year.

    Dwayne Bowe is also horrible - he gets the majority of his yards in garbage time, he is anti-clutch.

    Spencer/johnson/bennett are good.

    OLB who are worth looking at are philip wheeler and paul kruger.

    I hope Banner knows to avoid DRC.

  • Resign Cribbs, Dawson, Hodges, Miava, Marcus Benard(Wow, I almost forgot about him, he's going to be a real beast opposite Sheard next year! Scratch the DE off the Needs list now!)

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @poeticg said:

    Resign Cribbs, Dawson, Hodges, Miava, Marcus Benard(Wow, I almost forgot about him, he's going to be a real beast opposite Sheard next year! Scratch the DE off the Needs list now!)

    Are you being sarcastic

  • Endymion said:

    Mike Wallace will undoubtedly come cheaper this year. Last year he was seeking Fitzgerald money ($11M) and the Steelers offered $8.5M to which he refused. Wallace held out most of camp and really wasn't much of an impact player for the Steelers last year (as he didn't know the playbook). Now with the Steelers not really expecting to resign him he will go to another team and Arizona is really the only team where he will "know" the offense.

    Mike Wallace will probably garner a $5M to $6M contract and he'll probably only want to sign for 1-2 years (believing he can get Fitzgerald money later). Is he worth it? I'd still like to see him stay on as a Steeler and I think he will play better. There's no way he resigns with Pittsburgh for $5-$6M with Brown making $8.5M. I don't see the Steelers offering him $8.5M again after last season.

    I don't think he'll make a big impact in 2013 on a new team...if you get him, he'll probably help you out in 2014.

    So, you think the Bruce Arians offense made him and that he is likely to go play with Bruce in the desert?

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @the-gipper said:

    So, you think the Bruce Arians offense made him and that he is likely to go play with Bruce in the desert?

    Would you rather play in Cleveland, or Arizona with your favorite Offensive coach? Granted our QB situation is about the same as Arizona, but we have bad weather and cold.

  • @poeticg said:

    Resign Cribbs, Dawson, Hodges, Miava, Marcus Benard(Wow, I almost forgot about him, he's going to be a real beast opposite Sheard next year! Scratch the DE off the Needs list now!)

    Are you being sarcastic

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Are you being sarcastic

    Lets hope so

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, you think the Bruce Arians offense made him and that he is likely to go play with Bruce in the desert?

    Would you rather play in Cleveland, or Arizona with your favorite Offensive coach? Granted our QB situation is about the same as Arizona, but we have bad weather and cold.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @browns149 said:

    Would you rather play in Cleveland, or Arizona with your favorite Offensive coach? Granted our QB situation is about the same as Arizona, but we have bad weather and cold.

    I don't think the weather really has much to do with it....but the offense very well may. And his relationship with Arians may be such that he would really want to go play for him. Then, of course, he is still a "professional" athlete, which means he may go play wherever he gets the most money.

  • Endymion said:

    Mike Wallace will undoubtedly come cheaper this year. Last year he was seeking Fitzgerald money ($11M) and the Steelers offered $8.5M to which he refused. Wallace held out most of camp and really wasn't much of an impact player for the Steelers last year (as he didn't know the playbook). Now with the Steelers not really expecting to resign him he will go to another team and Arizona is really the only team where he will "know" the offense.

    Mike Wallace will probably garner a $5M to $6M contract and he'll probably only want to sign for 1-2 years (believing he can get Fitzgerald money later). Is he worth it? I'd still like to see him stay on as a Steeler and I think he will play better. There's no way he resigns with Pittsburgh for $5-$6M with Brown making $8.5M. I don't see the Steelers offering him $8.5M again after last season.

    I don't think he'll make a big impact in 2013 on a new team...if you get him, he'll probably help you out in 2014.

    So, you think the Bruce Arians offense made him and that he is likely to go play with Bruce in the desert?

    BendMeOverB BendMeOver wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @the-gipper said:

    So, you think the Bruce Arians offense made him and that he is likely to go play with Bruce in the desert?

    No, I think Bruce Arians is the only coach that knows how to utilize him properly to be a playmaker in 2013. There is the QB thing in Arizona, but it's hard to tell how they will address that position until free-agency or more likely the draft is done. Further, I don't see Wallace going to Arizona, unless he takes less than $5M/yr. Arizona won't dish out much for Wallace, because they have a super-highly paid #1 reciever in Fitzgerald. Plus Fitzgerald doesn't drop as many passes through at him (or hadn't the last time I paid attention to the Cardinals).

  • @the-gipper said:

    So, you think the Bruce Arians offense made him and that he is likely to go play with Bruce in the desert?

    No, I think Bruce Arians is the only coach that knows how to utilize him properly to be a playmaker in 2013. There is the QB thing in Arizona, but it's hard to tell how they will address that position until free-agency or more likely the draft is done. Further, I don't see Wallace going to Arizona, unless he takes less than $5M/yr. Arizona won't dish out much for Wallace, because they have a super-highly paid #1 reciever in Fitzgerald. Plus Fitzgerald doesn't drop as many passes through at him (or hadn't the last time I paid attention to the Cardinals).

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Endymion said:

    No, I think Bruce Arians is the only coach that knows how to utilize him properly to be a playmaker in 2013. There is the QB thing in Arizona, but it's hard to tell how they will address that position until free-agency or more likely the draft is done. Further, I don't see Wallace going to Arizona, unless he takes less than $5M/yr. Arizona won't dish out much for Wallace, because they have a super-highly paid #1 reciever in Fitzgerald. Plus Fitzgerald doesn't drop as many passes through at him (or hadn't the last time I paid attention to the Cardinals).

    Hmm, are you saying that Wallace would not want to play second fiddle to Fitzgerald? That he will insist on being a "#1" receiver, and also to be paid like it wherever he goes?

    If that is the case, then absolutely, the dude will be limiting his options on where to go.

    I don't even know if he joined the Browns that he would be considered the "#1 receiver" here.

  • Fujita is horrible - he should not be in the league next year.

    Dwayne Bowe is also horrible - he gets the majority of his yards in garbage time, he is anti-clutch.

    Spencer/johnson/bennett are good.

    OLB who are worth looking at are philip wheeler and paul kruger.

    I hope Banner knows to avoid DRC.

    H Horn of Lake Erie wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @unsympathetic said:

    Dwayne Bowe is also horrible - he gets the majority of his yards in garbage time, he is anti-clutch.

    Debatable. This guy has played on the perennial shit show team for QBs.

  • Fujita is horrible - he should not be in the league next year.

    Dwayne Bowe is also horrible - he gets the majority of his yards in garbage time, he is anti-clutch.

    Spencer/johnson/bennett are good.

    OLB who are worth looking at are philip wheeler and paul kruger.

    I hope Banner knows to avoid DRC.

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @unsympathetic said:

    Fujita is horrible - he should not be in the league next year.

    Dwayne Bowe is also horrible - he gets the majority of his yards in garbage time, he is anti-clutch.

    Spencer/johnson/bennett are good.

    OLB who are worth looking at are philip wheeler and paul kruger.

    I hope Banner knows to avoid DRC.

    Kruger would be fantastic, but I don't see it happening; however, Ray Horton is a player's coach and it seems that he may be able to lure in guys b/c of his attitude. I know Haden and Ward have already commented about being excited to have him come in and coach the D.

  • D dab7291993 wrote on last edited by
    #47

    DRC is coming off of his rookie contract and I highly doubt he demands more than $5M-$7M with his recent play. We can afford him. Why are people against signing good players? I know people want to be realistic, but DRC isn't out of the question.

  • Endymion said:

    No, I think Bruce Arians is the only coach that knows how to utilize him properly to be a playmaker in 2013. There is the QB thing in Arizona, but it's hard to tell how they will address that position until free-agency or more likely the draft is done. Further, I don't see Wallace going to Arizona, unless he takes less than $5M/yr. Arizona won't dish out much for Wallace, because they have a super-highly paid #1 reciever in Fitzgerald. Plus Fitzgerald doesn't drop as many passes through at him (or hadn't the last time I paid attention to the Cardinals).

    Hmm, are you saying that Wallace would not want to play second fiddle to Fitzgerald? That he will insist on being a "#1" receiver, and also to be paid like it wherever he goes?

    If that is the case, then absolutely, the dude will be limiting his options on where to go.

    I don't even know if he joined the Browns that he would be considered the "#1 receiver" here.

    BendMeOverB BendMeOver wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @the-gipper said:

    Hmm, are you saying that Wallace would not want to play second fiddle to Fitzgerald? That he will insist on being a "#1" receiver, and also to be paid like it wherever he goes?

    Wallace doesn't care about being second fiddle to Fitzgerald, he wants to be paid like Fitzgerald. He valued himself at $10-$12M/yr, and the Steelers offered $8.5M. When Wallace refused $8.5M/yr they gave it to Antonio Brown. The Steelers don't plan to lock him up with a franchise tag (last I heard) and I don't think they have $8.5M/yr to offer him in 2013 (even if they wanted to). I don't see Arizona offering Wallace big bucks and probably not even market bucks for Wallace cause they have so much invested in Fitzgerald already.

    The fact of the matter is, Wallace held out of camp and he continued to drop key (catchable) balls in 2012. While there's typically more than one reason the Steelers lost games in 2012, there were a number of big plays that involved Wallace in those losses. Had Wallace played like the elite reciever he fancies himself, the Steelers would've won a few more games in 2012. They only needed to win one more game to make the play-offs in 2012. I don't think the 2012 Steelers (as a whole) had the desire/fire/drive in them to actually make it to the Super Bowl had they made the play-offs though. Then again, I really didn't see the Ravens going to the Super Bowl this year either (I felt it would either be the Broncos or Patriots...moreso the Patriots).

    As I said earlier, based on his play in the latter half of 2011 and 2012, I just don't see any team offering Wallace more than $5-6M/yr right now. That's well below his offer last year. Wallace will probably sign late in the season, probably not until training camps begin because he will be offered less in 2013 due to his substandard play in 2012. As a result, Wallace will probably be seeking a 1-2 year contract to try to maximize his payday again in 2014/2015. His whole game is based on speed though, and sooner or later he won't have that quickness. By taking a shorter contract, he's gambling really heavily as he doesn't have great hands, or great route running ability.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #49

    What you are saying is that Wallace ain't all that and a bag of chips and that his overinflated balloon of an ego is about ready to be popped? That not only will he not get the 10-12 mill. he thinks he should get, but will not even get any offers that approach the 8.5 that he could have gotten had he signed the offer from the Steelers?

  • Browns616B Browns616 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    I'd love to see the Browns address a few positions in FA and solidify both sides of the football. Mainly at skill positions and pick up lineman "offensive and defensive" in the draft. Good depth skill players and play makers for the new coaches to create the schemes/match-ups they find favorable. Here's my list of players I'd like too see in Cleveland.

    Let me know what you guys think of these players. If you think they'd fit or who "you" would want to see in FA.

    WR

    Danny Amendola

    Dwayne Bowe

    Julian Edelman

    Ted Ginn Jr.

    Brian Hartline

    Donald Jones "Random, I know. I had classes with him in college(YSU) great character and tough player. It would be great to see him in Ohio again"

    TE

    Maretllus Bennett

    Tom Crabtree

    Dustin Keller

    Dennis Pitta

    LB

    Connor Barwin

    Paul Kruger (probably not the most needed position, but I think he would have a HUGE impact in pass rush)

    DB

    Jairus Byrd

    Derek Cox

    Mike Jenkins

    Glover Quin

    Sam Shields

    FB

    Jerome Felton

    I think if we could get 2-4 of these players along with a good 2013 draft class, then the Browns are in luck

  • Fujita is horrible - he should not be in the league next year.

    Dwayne Bowe is also horrible - he gets the majority of his yards in garbage time, he is anti-clutch.

    Spencer/johnson/bennett are good.

    OLB who are worth looking at are philip wheeler and paul kruger.

    I hope Banner knows to avoid DRC.

    RichiswhereR Richiswhere wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @unsympathetic said:

    Fujita is horrible - he should not be in the league next year.

    Dwayne Bowe is also horrible - he gets the majority of his yards in garbage time, he is anti-clutch.

    Spencer/johnson/bennett are good.

    OLB who are worth looking at are philip wheeler and paul kruger.

    I hope Banner knows to avoid DRC.

    I wouldn't doubt it if DRC was Banners number one target.

  • R Represent wrote on last edited by Represent
    #52

    My link

    B/R Article every nfl team free agency needs.

    For those to lazy to go find the Browns.

    The Cleveland Browns have to determine if they want to continue to roll with Brandon Weeden as their starting quarterback, or if they will bring in somebody to compete with him for the job. The Browns have turned over their front office, so that means there might be some major personnel changes as the new regime assesses what they have to work with.

    Michael Lombardi will handle player personnel, and Rob Chudzinski will take over as the new head coach. With Norv Turner coming in as offensive coordinator, you would have to think that the Browns offense will improve in 2013.

    Team Needs - Browns need to improve on both sides of the ball. The overall offense was No. 25 in the NFL, while the overall defense was No. 23. The Browns averaged 18.9 points per game, which was good for No. 24 in the league.

    The Browns need to try to sign Phil Dawson to a new contract. He continues to excel and can be the difference in winning two or three extra games per year based on his long-range field goals.

    Salary cap space left to work with: Cleveland is $48.9 million under the salary cap. That is the second-best figure in the NFL and it means that the Browns should be active in bringing in some talented free agents this offseason. The Browns will be the envy of a number of GM's around the league.

    With $48.9 million available, the Browns can literally target anybody they want to sign. New owner Jimmy Haslam wants to bring a winner to Cleveland, so he can show the fans that he means business in free agency.

    Free Agents to Target: If for some strange reason the Baltimore Ravens aren't able to convince Joe Flacco to sign a long-term deal, the Browns could step in with a big offer for him. That would elevate the Browns offense and cripple the Ravens in one big move. The likelihood though is that Flacco returns to the Ravens.Da Faq? biggest FA move since LBJ Left Us

    Other quarterbacks that could become free agents in 2013 would be Michael Vick and Matt Flynn. Alex Smith is another possibility. Any of the three could take over as the starter.

    The Browns could now afford to sprinkle in some talented veteran players to help guide the youngsters, which is the formula the Indianapolis Colts used so well this year. Targets could include WR Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings or Wes Welker. Dustin Keller could be an attractive tight end target.

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #53

    I'd consider us out of the market for Smith and Flynn. If we add any QB, it's going to be one with a cannon strapped to his shoulder.

    I'm excited to see the development of Jordan Cameron under Chud. Cameron was compared heavily to Gates in the draft, a big athletic TE who played basketball.

    I also can see us targeting DRC. He fills a need and he's a Banner buddy.