Desmond Bryant
-
Taylor, Rubin, Bryant, Winn, Hughes... That's a lot of talent for our front 3. Word is Rubin may be expendable now, but I disagree, even if we draft a true 3-4 DE. These 5 guys make up an excellent DL rotation for a 3-4, in my opinion. Plus, Kruger and/or Sheard moves up to DE at times. Pretty vicious... on paper
Let's see what else happens... desperately NEED at least one quality CB
-
The starters will be bryant/rubin/taylor, with winn/hughes giving them a break.
Taylor is perfect at DE because he's significantly more athletic than rubin. Ngata is actually a DE, the DT in baltimore is kemoeatu.
Bryant had the 4th most QB pressures of all DT's in the NFL last year. So now our starting DL are all above 300 pounds and are all great against the run.
We do still need Rubin -- no reason to let very good players leave when they're signed to reasonable deals, and the players behind them aren't proven.
-
Remember this when looking at bryants stats from last year. He only started 8 games.
-
He graduated from Harvard is 6'6, plays in the NFL and made $32 Million today BNB ... How did your day go?
Z
Zombo said:
He graduated from Harvard is 6'6, plays in the NFL and made $32 Million today BNB ... How did your day go?
Z
Got paid $32.1 million for being awesome. Beat that.
-
I see us trading one of those guys. My bet is on Taylor. I think we might be able to get a 2 and something else for him.
-
I see us trading one of those guys. My bet is on Taylor. I think we might be able to get a 2 and something else for him.
I see us trading one of those guys. My bet is on Taylor. I think we might be able to get a 2 and something else for him.
That's what I'm thinking. I like Phil but don't know if he's necessary. I think that with the guys we have now, we could do some damage up front but Banner and Co. may have another plan. We will see.
-
I see us trading one of those guys. My bet is on Taylor. I think we might be able to get a 2 and something else for him.
I see us trading one of those guys. My bet is on Taylor. I think we might be able to get a 2 and something else for him.
I like that option, then pick up a late rounder to fill the spot, work in progress.
-
No trading of any current DL. Winn and Hughes are unproven. Taylor/Rubin/Bryant is a good DL group, the D had significant problems shutting down the run last year, and Rubin is still on a reasonable contract for a difference-maker at his position.
Hughes and Winn are both smaller in size than Rubin and Bryant, and neither have played in the 3-4 in the pros.. so we can't say conclusively that both will be good. I want them to succeed, I hope they're great.. but we can't confirm that as of today.
Also: Did the Browns shut down the run on any 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 last year? I can remember exactly zero times, and everyone in this thread proposes we trade away one of our starting DT's when we have a need to improve our run defense? Bad idea. Yes, Rubin's value is high -- because he is good, and we should keep him for the same reason.
Another problem with the idea of "making a trade" is that there's always the magical fantasy that we will receive equal value in return. That almost never happens. Bill Simmons has a term for it.. the pu-pu platter.
We're always talking about the need to improve at certain positions.. and then, the instant we actually have an unquestionable strength on the team, you want to trade away key reasons why it's a strength? That's insane.
-
I actually agree with you, I'd rather us keep all 5 of these guys. That rotation would be disgusting. I'm just not sure how the FO is going to value it. Taylor is worth a 2 and maybe a 4, and it's something that the FO will consider. We can address another need without creating a hole with those picks. Which is more valuable?
-
I actually agree with you, I'd rather us keep all 5 of these guys. That rotation would be disgusting. I'm just not sure how the FO is going to value it. Taylor is worth a 2 and maybe a 4, and it's something that the FO will consider. We can address another need without creating a hole with those picks. Which is more valuable?
I actually agree with you, I'd rather us keep all 5 of these guys. That rotation would be disgusting. I'm just not sure how the FO is going to value it. Taylor is worth a 2 and maybe a 4, and it's something that the FO will consider. We can address another need without creating a hole with those picks. Which is more valuable?
We already achieved the value by drafting Rubin in the 5th and he's become nearly an allpro. Obviously Taylor in the first is significantly more athletic than Rubin.
There's zero certainty the picks you make would be as productive as Taylor or Rubin are already.. that's why it's called the pu-pu platter, because you trade away an all-pro and get a bunch of crap in return.
-
I actually agree with you, I'd rather us keep all 5 of these guys. That rotation would be disgusting. I'm just not sure how the FO is going to value it. Taylor is worth a 2 and maybe a 4, and it's something that the FO will consider. We can address another need without creating a hole with those picks. Which is more valuable?
We already achieved the value by drafting Rubin in the 5th and he's become nearly an allpro. Obviously Taylor in the first is significantly more athletic than Rubin.
There's zero certainty the picks you make would be as productive as Taylor or Rubin are already.. that's why it's called the pu-pu platter, because you trade away an all-pro and get a bunch of crap in return.
We already achieved the value by drafting Rubin in the 5th and he's become nearly an allpro. Obviously Taylor in the first is significantly more athletic than Rubin.
There's zero certainty the picks you make would be as productive as Taylor or Rubin are already.. that's why it's called the pu-pu platter, because you trade away an all-pro and get a bunch of crap in return.
Rubin was a sixth round pick but it's a good point either way. Keep all of them IMO. It can't hurt to have 5 guys that can essentially rotate and play all 3 positions. They all may not be an ideal nose tackle or 3-4 DE but they are all capable of rotating through both positions for a series or set of downs. Rubin at NT and Bryant and Taylor starting at ends and you have a solid core.
-
This rotation is going to be sick ,This may be a little odd but, He only missed one game in the last 4 years and I think that was a flu . One day and we have Instant recognizable strength in the NLF . Now more then ever in the NLF its about rotating players . Keeping them fresh . Excited .
-
I see us trading one of those guys. My bet is on Taylor. I think we might be able to get a 2 and something else for him.
I see us trading one of those guys. My bet is on Taylor. I think we might be able to get a 2 and something else for him.
no fucking way.
what we add to subtract?
dumbest thing i've seen you post in a long time. you keep everybody.
now the light is getting a little more precise on how we draft next month.
-
Cleveland Browns: The Browns underwent a complete overhaul this offseason, changing general managers (out with Tom Heckert, in with Michael Lombardi) and head coaches (out with Pat Shurmur, in with Rob Chudzinski). The Browns are also changing defensive schemes, going back to a 3-4 under Ray Horton, a top head coaching candidate for orchestrating a Cardinals defense that was among the top units in the NFL despite receiving little to no help from their offense. Lombardi spent big on the front seven, signing outside linebacker Paul Kruger to a five-year contract worth just over $40 million, a move that would soon be followed up by the arrival of defensive lineman Desmond Bryant, who agreed to a five-year deal worth $34 million. Between Kruger, who had nine sacks in 2012, and Bryant, a valuable starter for the Oakland Raiders, the Browns beefed up an already promising front seven that includes Phil Taylor, Ahytba Rubin, Billy Winn, D'Qwell Jackson and Jabaal Sheard.
*********************************************
Rotation. An injury here and there, and be glad about these two signings. That is a very scary bunch of kick arse defensive players.
-
how many players have the same name in the NFL?
desmond bryant...dez bryant?
are they like the cromarties?
wow. it's like going to chinatown and trying to find a guy not named ling dong or johnny lee.
what happened to names like tyrone or willy?
-
34 million for a guy with 18 career starts & 11.5 sacks in 4 years just seems like a big overpay to me.
-
34 million for a guy with 18 career starts & 11.5 sacks in 4 years just seems like a big overpay to me.
34 million for a guy with 18 career starts & 11.5 sacks in 4 years just seems like a big overpay to me.
Not true.
He had the fourth most QB pressures of all DT's in the NFL last season. He only started 8 games, meaning that he was just a substitute for the other 8, limiting his opportunities.. and yet he still produced.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login