Skip to content

The Next Cam Newton?

The Browns Board
41 18 2.1k
  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #1

    CLEVELAND, Ohio -- While watching film of EJ Manuel during a private workout Saturday at Florida State, Browns coach Rob Chudzinski turned to Manuel and said, "Man, that reminds me of somebody I used to coach."

    That somebody was Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, whom Chudzinski coached as a rookie in 2011 and again in 2012. But Manuel, one of the players the Browns are considering with their No. 6 pick, didn't have to ask Chudzinski who he was talking about.

    "He already brought up Cam when I was up in Cleveland on Monday," Manuel, a dual-threat quarterback who went 25-6 at Florida State, told The Plain Dealer after the workout. "I think coach Chudzinski sees a lot of Cam Newton in me, so that's kind of in my favor as far as being a guy that's very similar to Cam's playing style."

    Manuel, who's been projected to go anywhere from the top five in the draft to the second or third round, has also taken some of the same pre-draft beating that his good friend Newton -- the No. 1 overall pick in 2011 -- endured.

    "They said Cam was a third-round pick and he went first overall," said Manuel. "I'm sure a lot of people doubted him just like they're still doubting me. Coach Chudzinski did a great job with Cam and you saw how well he transitioned to the pros. He was Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowler. If I get drafted by Cleveland, I know coach Chudzinski and (offensive coordinator) Norv Turner would do a great job of getting me ready to play."

    Manuel, who threw 41 TDs against only 18 interceptions in his two seasons as the fulltime starter, got a great vibe from the Browns after they worked him out Saturday and hosted him for a pre-draft visit on Monday. In addition to Chudzinski and Turner, Turner's son Scott, the Browns receivers coach, also attended Saturday's workout Saturday.

    "There's no telling what these teams are really thinking, but I think it's good that Cleveland wanted to come work me out five days before the draft," said Manuel. "I left Cleveland on Monday and they were here on Saturday. The turnaround was quick, and when they left today, I felt like I made a good impression."

    Manuel has also received a good look from other teams picking high, including the Jaguars at No. 2, the Eagles at No. 4, the Bills at No. 8 and the Jets at No. 9. Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who figures to run a read-option, recruited Manuel for Oregon and worked him out privately last month.

    "Those are most of the teams that have worked me out and brought their head coaches, GMs, quarterback coaches, the whole crew," said Manuel. "After the way some of these workouts have gone, I think I'll go fairly high. I don't know about the top 10, but I expect to go in the first round. Some of the teams might consider me (a top five pick). We'll have to see how it all plays out."

    In addition to the Newton comparisons from Chudzinski, Manuel got some great feedback from Turner, who will double as the quarterbacks coach.

    "He had a lot of good things to say about my game and what I can do moving forward," said Manuel. "They know I can throw the football, but they wanted to see how I'd react to coach Turner's coaching, my footwork, how the ball comes out of my hand, everything."

    When Manuel left Cleveland on Monday, the coaches packed him up with a little offensive homework for the weekend.

    "I had to write a few things down for them and I think they wanted to see if I put in the time to study it and I did well," he said. "I wasn't perfect, but they also wanted to see how you react when you're wrong -- if you figure it out and correct yourself."

    During his pre-draft visit, Manuel ran into quarterback Brandon Weeden, whom he first met at an Elite 11 quarterback camp in California two years ago.

    "I'm good friends with Brandon," Manuel said. "The possibility of the Browns drafting me didn't really come up. If I happen to get drafted by the Browns, I'll obviously want to compete and he knows that. But it was moreso just saying hello and letting him know it was good to see him."

    Manuel, who feels he's the top quarterback in the draft, anticipates starting somewhere in 2013.

    "Any opportunity I go into, I think I'll have an opportunity to start," he said. "If a team drafts you early, they expect you to come in and battle at that position, so I think I'd do really well moving into the Browns organization. At the same time I think I could still learn from Brandon and Jason (Campbell)."

    Despite the comparisons to Newton, Manuel (6-4, 237) patterns his game after Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger, which should please Browns fans.

    "I know I'm very similar to Cam in size, and speed and things like that, but I usually watch film on Big Ben," he said. "I'm a big, strong, durable quarterback. That's what I love about Big Ben. He doesn't run to run. He runs to try to get open to throw the ball. A lot of people may say I'm a runner, but anytime I'm scrambling around, I'm looking for a receiver and trying to get the ball into their hands."

    NFL Network's Mike Mayock has been so impressed with Manuel that he could see him going No. 4 to the Eagles.

    "(Manuel is) as raw as can be," Mayock said on a conference call this week. "He has a big arm and he's very athletic. That's why I moved him up to my second quarterback. Because his upside is better than all the other quarterbacks in the draft, except for Geno."

    He added: "I think Chudzinski and Chip (Kelly) very much have their eyes open as to quarterbacks who can throw the ball, because that's critical. But also who can hurt you in the run game?"

    ESPN's Jon Gruden said this week: "I like EJ a lot because I think you can call just about any scheme you want to call. He's a presence inside the 10-yard line much like Cam Newton in Carolina is. I've seen him run various option plays and we know that's certainly a major point of emphasis in the NFL right now. . . . I think he has a tremendous skill set that allows him to do a lot of different things. If you're with a creative offensive coach, look out. He could be a good player."

    Manuel stressed that there's at least one comparison with Newton that's dead on.

    "Cam wanted to be great," he said. "And I want to be great too. I don't want to just get into the NFL. I want to make a career out of it and make an impact in the league."

    Has Chudzinski found his next Cam?

  • R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #2

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/04/florida_state_qb_ej_manuel_get.html

    This close to the draft there is always a flurry of off the wall rumors and what if scenarios due to the fact that we're all bored with the same story lines we've been mulling over for months now. I don't view this as a realistic possibility, but if Chudz and Norv honestly believe EJ to be the next Newton, we could have a surprising draft on our hands. what do you guys think? mostly I just wanted to get a fresh thread out there without rehashing the same old mocks we've been seeing all year

  • b86bB b86b wrote on last edited by
    #3

    I was thinking the same thing.. Will not be surprised, hopefully it will be a trade down if they get him

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #4

    No. His abillity to read the field fast enough in the pros is questionable, so "they" say. I imagine

    he would pick it up ...but at SIX? Nope.

    Outside of that, he;s pretty highly regarded.. but he wouldn't start for a couple of years, I think.

    Maybe in a big tradedown package.

    They'll trade down if Milliner is there, because the extra picks, especially in this draft in the second round, plus

    a lower first pick, would be more of an impact than anybody they can nab with the sixth overall. I like Milliner,

    but maybe he'd be there a few? picks later? Who knows....

  • BendMeOverB BendMeOver wrote on last edited by
    #5

    New ownership, new coaching staff, makes it a pretty safe bet that the Browns want to draft a QB high in the draft, especially since Chud is not enamored with Weeden. Weeden was an aweful pick for you guys last year, just aweful. Kirk Cousins in the 3rd round would've been so much better. I can see you going with Manuel with the 6th pick overall, but I can also see Philly selecting him if Jacksonville takes Smith. You could probably trade down to #11 or #12 and still get Manuel, but Buffalo (and to a lesser extent Arizona) still have an interest in a QB. Picking up a second round pick and still getting Manuel would take some of the sting out wasting a first rounder on Weeden last year.

    Personally I don't think there's any QBs that really stand out this year. If my franchise was in dire need for a new signal caller, I wouldn't want them to invest a first rounder in Smith or Manuel. A second rounder for sure, just not a first rounder. If left with the choice between Milliner or Manuel, I'd want Milliner.

  • New ownership, new coaching staff, makes it a pretty safe bet that the Browns want to draft a QB high in the draft, especially since Chud is not enamored with Weeden. Weeden was an aweful pick for you guys last year, just aweful. Kirk Cousins in the 3rd round would've been so much better. I can see you going with Manuel with the 6th pick overall, but I can also see Philly selecting him if Jacksonville takes Smith. You could probably trade down to #11 or #12 and still get Manuel, but Buffalo (and to a lesser extent Arizona) still have an interest in a QB. Picking up a second round pick and still getting Manuel would take some of the sting out wasting a first rounder on Weeden last year.

    Personally I don't think there's any QBs that really stand out this year. If my franchise was in dire need for a new signal caller, I wouldn't want them to invest a first rounder in Smith or Manuel. A second rounder for sure, just not a first rounder. If left with the choice between Milliner or Manuel, I'd want Milliner.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #6

    Endymion said:

    New ownership, new coaching staff, makes it a pretty safe bet that the Browns want to draft a QB high in the draft, especially since Chud is not enamored with Weeden. Weeden was an aweful pick for you guys last year, just aweful. Kirk Cousins in the 3rd round would've been so much better. I can see you going with Manuel with the 6th pick overall, but I can also see Philly selecting him if Jacksonville takes Smith. You could probably trade down to #11 or #12 and still get Manuel, but Buffalo (and to a lesser extent Arizona) still have an interest in a QB. Picking up a second round pick and still getting Manuel would take some of the sting out wasting a first rounder on Weeden last year.

    Personally I don't think there's any QBs that really stand out this year. If my franchise was in dire need for a new signal caller, I wouldn't want them to invest a first rounder in Smith or Manuel. A second rounder for sure, just not a first rounder. If left with the choice between Milliner or Manuel, I'd want Milliner.

    Not sure where you are getting your info....Chud likes Weeden very much. Chud has gone to bat against Weeden. It was Lombardi who didn't like Weeden.....and, truthfully, the only reason he doesn't like him is because he had made a snap judgment about him when he was writing articles for NFL.com or whereever he worked for.

    Lombardi is too venal to admit a mistake...but Chud seems to have enough influence on Joe Banner to have him tell Lombardi to STFU over Weeden.

    That does not mean that Chud does not also like Manuel....but...he has to be of a mind that this team has much bigger needs....like the defensive backfield.

    I think if the Browns take a QB it will be a developmental type guy in the late round...6 or 7.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by jrb12711
    #7

    Please God no. I had an opportunity to watch several FSU games this year and he's just not that good. People are praising him for arm strength, athleticism and measures but every game I've watched he was extremely erratic. A lot of passes sailed high and he was awful at reading the blitz. He just isn't franchise QB material. I heard that in a stronger QB draft he'd easily be a 4th-5th round prospect. He's a project QB that's gonna go WAY too high, I'm just hoping the Browns don't bite.

    Edit: Here's a much better summary: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013emanuel.php

  • USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
    #8

    No way, not in the first or second at least. Crumbles under pressure and can't handle a decent D. Look at the Florida game.

  • No way, not in the first or second at least. Crumbles under pressure and can't handle a decent D. Look at the Florida game.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @usfbrown said:

    No way, not in the first or second at least. Crumbles under pressure and can't handle a decent D. Look at the Florida game.

    He still accumulated 3 TD's that game, which is more than any QB we currently have can say.

    At this point, I just want a guy that can score. If it Weeden, great. If its Campbell, great. If its Manuel, Smith, Bray, Nassib, etc...great.

    Let's just generate some motherfucking offense already.

  • Endymion said:

    New ownership, new coaching staff, makes it a pretty safe bet that the Browns want to draft a QB high in the draft, especially since Chud is not enamored with Weeden. Weeden was an aweful pick for you guys last year, just aweful. Kirk Cousins in the 3rd round would've been so much better. I can see you going with Manuel with the 6th pick overall, but I can also see Philly selecting him if Jacksonville takes Smith. You could probably trade down to #11 or #12 and still get Manuel, but Buffalo (and to a lesser extent Arizona) still have an interest in a QB. Picking up a second round pick and still getting Manuel would take some of the sting out wasting a first rounder on Weeden last year.

    Personally I don't think there's any QBs that really stand out this year. If my franchise was in dire need for a new signal caller, I wouldn't want them to invest a first rounder in Smith or Manuel. A second rounder for sure, just not a first rounder. If left with the choice between Milliner or Manuel, I'd want Milliner.

    Not sure where you are getting your info....Chud likes Weeden very much. Chud has gone to bat against Weeden. It was Lombardi who didn't like Weeden.....and, truthfully, the only reason he doesn't like him is because he had made a snap judgment about him when he was writing articles for NFL.com or whereever he worked for.

    Lombardi is too venal to admit a mistake...but Chud seems to have enough influence on Joe Banner to have him tell Lombardi to STFU over Weeden.

    That does not mean that Chud does not also like Manuel....but...he has to be of a mind that this team has much bigger needs....like the defensive backfield.

    I think if the Browns take a QB it will be a developmental type guy in the late round...6 or 7.

    BendMeOverB BendMeOver wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @the-gipper said:

    Not sure where you are getting your info....Chud likes Weeden very much. Chud has gone to bat against Weeden. It was Lombardi who didn't like Weeden.....

    You mean gone to bat "for" Weeden? Prior to the start of free agency I read an article that Chud wasn't enamored by Weeden that talked about bringing Derek Anderson back to compete for a starters role. I don't read Cleveland's newspapers or haven't seen anything on ESPNs gazillion NFL programs stating Chud's fully behind Weeden either. In general, all coaches prefer to have "their guy" calling the shots and EJ Manuel appears to be similar to the guy Chud had alot of success with.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not sure where you are getting your info....Chud likes Weeden very much. Chud has gone to bat against Weeden. It was Lombardi who didn't like Weeden.....

    You mean gone to bat "for" Weeden? Prior to the start of free agency I read an article that Chud wasn't enamored by Weeden that talked about bringing Derek Anderson back to compete for a starters role. I don't read Cleveland's newspapers or haven't seen anything on ESPNs gazillion NFL programs stating Chud's fully behind Weeden either. In general, all coaches prefer to have "their guy" calling the shots and EJ Manuel appears to be similar to the guy Chud had alot of success with.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Endymion said:

    You mean gone to bat "for" Weeden? Prior to the start of free agency I read an article that Chud wasn't enamored by Weeden that talked about bringing Derek Anderson back to compete for a starters role. I don't read Cleveland's newspapers or haven't seen anything on ESPNs gazillion NFL programs stating Chud's fully behind Weeden either. In general, all coaches prefer to have "their guy" calling the shots and EJ Manuel appears to be similar to the guy Chud had alot of success with.

    Yes, I meant to say "went to bat for against Lombardi".

    It was when Chud started really studying BW3 and working with him that he started to like what he saw. The DA thing I believe was mere media speculation simply because Chud had worked with DA with 2 different teams....but honestly, that was never going to happen.

    Chud says he likes what he sees in Manuel. That does not mean he is going to go gaga for him to get him in the draft.

  • Endymion said:

    You mean gone to bat "for" Weeden? Prior to the start of free agency I read an article that Chud wasn't enamored by Weeden that talked about bringing Derek Anderson back to compete for a starters role. I don't read Cleveland's newspapers or haven't seen anything on ESPNs gazillion NFL programs stating Chud's fully behind Weeden either. In general, all coaches prefer to have "their guy" calling the shots and EJ Manuel appears to be similar to the guy Chud had alot of success with.

    Yes, I meant to say "went to bat for against Lombardi".

    It was when Chud started really studying BW3 and working with him that he started to like what he saw. The DA thing I believe was mere media speculation simply because Chud had worked with DA with 2 different teams....but honestly, that was never going to happen.

    Chud says he likes what he sees in Manuel. That does not mean he is going to go gaga for him to get him in the draft.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, I meant to say "went to bat for against Lombardi".

    It was when Chud started really studying BW3 and working with him that he started to like what he saw. The DA thing I believe was mere media speculation simply because Chud had worked with DA with 2 different teams....but honestly, that was never going to happen.

    Chud says he likes what he sees in Manuel. That does not mean he is going to go gaga for him to get him in the draft.

    Liking Weeden also doesn't mean he won't draft Manuel. It all comes down to who they think gives us a better chance to win.

    If its Weeden, they'll stay with him. If its Campbell, they'll use him. If its Manuel, they'll pick him. You can bet that Weeden being a first round pick last season won't have much to do with it at all.

    New regime, new players. I just hope they don't select a QB solely to distance themselves from the past regime.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #13

    EJ Manuel isn't a running QB.

    All black and athletic QBs aren't running QBs...

    Look at their college stats their final seasons.

    EJ had 103 attempts for 310 yards and 4 TDs

    Newton had 264 attempts for 1473 yards and 20 TDs

  • EJ Manuel isn't a running QB.

    All black and athletic QBs aren't running QBs...

    Look at their college stats their final seasons.

    EJ had 103 attempts for 310 yards and 4 TDs

    Newton had 264 attempts for 1473 yards and 20 TDs

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @mld-woody said:

    EJ Manuel isn't a running QB.

    All black and athletic QBs aren't running QBs...

    Look at their college stats their final seasons.

    EJ had 103 attempts for 310 yards and 4 TDs

    Newton had 264 attempts for 1473 yards and 20 TDs

    Exactly. He's a QB who can run, not a RB who can throw. I like the comparison to Ben Roethlisberger. Manuel claims to use his legs in order to extend the play, not necessarily to MAKE the play.

    I think I've been pretty vocal in my support for Manuel from the get-go, but that doesn't mean I think we should take him at 6. If we can successfully complete a trade that enables us to move back only a couple spots and pick up a second rounder in the process, I think Manuel would be a great second round pick.

    Honestly, I think he'll go in the first.

  • ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Is everybody going insane. TCPO have you lost your fucking mind. If we draft a QB with 6th pick, or even trade down and pick one later in the first, I'm fucking done. There are NO great QBs in this draft, get an awesome player with the sixth pick and don't fuck this up!!!

  • Is everybody going insane. TCPO have you lost your fucking mind. If we draft a QB with 6th pick, or even trade down and pick one later in the first, I'm fucking done. There are NO great QBs in this draft, get an awesome player with the sixth pick and don't fuck this up!!!

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @comeonman said:

    Is everybody going insane. TCPO have you lost your fucking mind. If we draft a QB with 6th pick, or even trade down and pick one later in the first, I'm fucking done. There are NO great QBs in this draft, get an awesome player with the sixth pick and don't fuck this up!!!

    It makes no sense to draft a QB high this year. Weeden is built for Norv's offense, he is going to get a shot at it. Campbell is solid #2. This regime didn't draft Weeds, so they get a pass if he fails and they can draft their guy next year when, presumably, there is a better crop to pick from.

    We took a first round QB last year and he fits our new system better than he did the old one. It's just not happeneing.

    Zombo

  • Is everybody going insane. TCPO have you lost your fucking mind. If we draft a QB with 6th pick, or even trade down and pick one later in the first, I'm fucking done. There are NO great QBs in this draft, get an awesome player with the sixth pick and don't fuck this up!!!

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @comeonman said:

    Is everybody going insane. TCPO have you lost your fucking mind. If we draft a QB with 6th pick, or even trade down and pick one later in the first, I'm fucking done. There are NO great QBs in this draft, get an awesome player with the sixth pick and don't fuck this up!!!

    Internet rage. Preventing people from comprehending since 1999.

  • B Browns57 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I know I have said it before, but I wouldn't be suprised at all if we take a qb high in this draft. QB is the most important position on the team. The Browns have spent a whole lot of time doing their due dilligence on these top Qb's. When was the last time you remember our front office doing this much work evaluating QB's? If they really feel like one of them better than Weeden then they will take them. Turner knows Qb's better than any of us do, and Chud would likely defer to his opinion or at least give it serious weight. That is just logical. Those of you who were good at Geometry should get that. If you were good at Algebra you likely never will.

    Those who say no way, or they would be DONE brace yourself just in case they love one of these guys. I personally cannot see how taking one of these guys is a bad move if they work out. I am going to trust our FO and coaches to work together as a team (like they said) to build this team this year and if they screw it up then lets all be pissed. I have seen nothing thus far that makes me think that they will screw up. Cam Newton was a good pick, Rivers was a pretty good pick. Drew Brees (OC-Turner year he was drafted). Coached up Troy Aikman in Dallas. And While Ken Dorsey didn't work out in the pro's Chud coached him to a pretty damn good college career in Miami. So why all the hubub about them being stupid if they do this.

  • D dab7291993 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    I want to know how people can say anyone who was down on Weeden made a mistake?

    People are acting like this guy solidified himself as our franchise QB.

    If we take Manuel at 6, it's not the ideal pick but honestly I wouldn't be mad. I'd rather take Milliner or a pass rusher.

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by
    #20

    No way we pass on a CB in the 1st. If we do trade down and get a 2nd E.J. will be gone by then. We need our CB and FS before we even think of a QB this year. Im am thinking a QB in the 4th, maybe Glennon from nc state,http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/mike-glennon?id=2539275,.