Lombardi draft record
-
I was looking through an accounting of draft picks under his direction. My god his hit rate on talent is abysmal. I love our stockpiling draft picks to fill the team with fresh talent. The thing is I am terrified he will squander all of the picks on garbage. It will set us back many years. Does anyone else hope he somehow is toasted and gone before next years draft?
I was looking through an accounting of draft picks under his direction. My god his hit rate on talent is abysmal. I love our stockpiling draft picks to fill the team with fresh talent. The thing is I am terrified he will squander all of the picks on garbage. It will set us back many years. Does anyone else hope he somehow is toasted and gone before next years draft?
I hope that we actually end up with a lot of input from Norv and Horton in the decision making process, as well as the various scouts involved, so that it's not just Lombardi. Also hope Jimmy Haslam isn't Al Davis in disguise.
-
I share that same fear. Not willing to can him, but hope he can finally get it right.
-
Well, here is the deal of what is truly going on in my opinion:
Banner and Heckert had a falling out at the end of their days in Philly, so Banner's desire to get rid of Heckert's top choices is really just a big fuck you to to Heckert. Whether or not the players they want to get rid of are any good and can help this team is irrelevent.
Lombardi's reasoning is that he wants "his guys" to play for him. He only wants success if it is achieved by the players he selects so that HE gets credit for procuring those winning players. He would rather have the team lose than for it to win with players chosen by his predecessor. That is why he traded those picks in the draft, and why he traded TR.
The hubris and arrogance of these guys is absurd. The problem in Lombardi's case is that YES, his track record at talent evaluation is pathetic.
I suspect that if you went back and recorded all his draft picks the vast, vast majority of them are busts.....a far, far greater percentage than most other GMs have been. He brought you the Tommy Vardell's and Craig Powell's of the world if I am not mistaken....and he brought about another better part of a decade of bad talent with the Raiders.
I, for one, DO NOT trust his judgment on talent evaluation. Should these guys be allowed to bring in their own crew? Sure. But that does not mean that we should trust their capabilities.
-
I was looking through an accounting of draft picks under his direction. My god his hit rate on talent is abysmal. I love our stockpiling draft picks to fill the team with fresh talent. The thing is I am terrified he will squander all of the picks on garbage. It will set us back many years. Does anyone else hope he somehow is toasted and gone before next years draft?
I was looking through an accounting of draft picks under his direction. My god his hit rate on talent is abysmal. I love our stockpiling draft picks to fill the team with fresh talent. The thing is I am terrified he will squander all of the picks on garbage. It will set us back many years. Does anyone else hope he somehow is toasted and gone before next years draft?
Well, It's not just Lombardi making the picks. Banner has final authority just as Holmgren did.
Then you've got the Farmer guy from Kansas City who I think is a big part of the personnel decisons.
Looks like they were doing a good job grocery shopping in KC.
Let's review some of the talent evaluations so far:
Huge shocking contract for Desmond Bryant ... he looks pretty damn good.
Totally restructure and beef up the defensive front seven ... so far, so good.
Somewhat surprising commitment to Barkevious Mingo with the #6 pick ... he looks immensely talented.
Bring in Brian Hoyer ... has already risen to the top of QB depth chart
Dump Richardson for a first round pick ... we'll see, but it certainly was ballsy and hopefully, brilliant
Plus ... get a draft pick for McCoy, let Phil and Josh walk ... none of that has bitten them in the ass yet.
I'm excited to see this all play out, actually.
Zombo
-
i'm praying someone on this QB roster will play so damn good that picking another QB with our first pick would seem ridiculous making them go in another direction with their first couple of picks.
my biggest fear (jcam22) is that they package both our 1st rounders and maybe even our second rounder to move up to number 1 for a bust QB.
i will go apeshit!
-
Well, obviously, I hope it works out. But, again, there is that track record, and if one can judge by history then, as noted, there is no reason for confidence.
I guess I am in that "expect the worse....and not be surprised if you get it" mode. Thus removing the "devastation" that occurs when things go wrong as expected. But if they go right, then we can all be very pleasantly surprised.
Its like the lottery: I do buy the tickets;,but, I do expect to lose, and so far my expectations have been met. But, maybe both situations can change and one day soon I will both win the lottery and the moves the Browns make will all be positive and bear fruit and I can be fabulously surprised when it happens.
I thought perhaps I had come close. As noted I was in South Carolina for my father in laws funeral. He lived in Lexington County SC. I bought a ticket for the 400 million dollar PowerBall. The next day I hear on the radio that the 400 million dollar winning ticket was purchased in Lexington Co. SC. I said "fuck me" this would be true justice to have my father in law die and win the PowerBall in the same week. But, alas, no. Someone down there did win, but it weren't me.
-
I don't think Lombardi has much authority on player personel . He's named GM because someone has to have that title, I guess. He wasn't even in Berea when they traded Trent. He was scouting out of town. I'm sure he has some say and his scouting and evaluations are taken into the decisions, but at the end of the day, Banner is the one calling the shots
-
With all the information available nowadays I think being good or bad at drafting is closer to a zero-sum game than fans realize.
For example, possibly the worst GM (Mike Brown) has had some of the most success over the last few years in the draft. This isn't 1985 anymore (hell 1995 even). Information is EVERYWHERE.
-
i'm praying someone on this QB roster will play so damn good that picking another QB with our first pick would seem ridiculous making them go in another direction with their first couple of picks.
my biggest fear (jcam22) is that they package both our 1st rounders and maybe even our second rounder to move up to number 1 for a bust QB.
i will go apeshit!
i'm praying someone on this QB roster will play so damn good that picking another QB with our first pick would seem ridiculous making them go in another direction with their first couple of picks.
my biggest fear (jcam22) is that they package both our 1st rounders and maybe even our second rounder to move up to number 1 for a bust QB.
i will go apeshit!
So you'd honestly be upset if they packaged two first round picks and got a franchise QB at the level of say an Andrew Luck? I'm not saying Bridgewater or the like fit that bill but I wouldn't complain if it played out like that. There's a good reason teams go worst to first after they draft a QB. Of course it'd be awful if the guy ended up being a bust but it's a shot worth taking depending on the situation.
-
XxDaBuckeyexX said:
Jusy so everyone can see for themselves what kind of "talent evaluator" Lombardi is.
I count 70 players on that list.....and the best choice he ever made was a kicker.....Janikowski. Plus a few solid pros. Asomghua for a bit, and Huff some.
But truly his success rate is about 10%....unless I am missing something. Particularly his Browns years. (first stint)
-
XxDaBuckeyexX said:
Jusy so everyone can see for themselves what kind of "talent evaluator" Lombardi is.
I hope he can use his mistakes as a learning experience. If so, we should have a stellar draft.
-
i'm praying someone on this QB roster will play so damn good that picking another QB with our first pick would seem ridiculous making them go in another direction with their first couple of picks.
my biggest fear (jcam22) is that they package both our 1st rounders and maybe even our second rounder to move up to number 1 for a bust QB.
i will go apeshit!
So you'd honestly be upset if they packaged two first round picks and got a franchise QB at the level of say an Andrew Luck? I'm not saying Bridgewater or the like fit that bill but I wouldn't complain if it played out like that. There's a good reason teams go worst to first after they draft a QB. Of course it'd be awful if the guy ended up being a bust but it's a shot worth taking depending on the situation.
So you'd honestly be upset if they packaged two first round picks and got a franchise QB at the level of say an Andrew Luck? I'm not saying Bridgewater or the like fit that bill but I wouldn't complain if it played out like that. There's a good reason teams go worst to first after they draft a QB. Of course it'd be awful if the guy ended up being a bust but it's a shot worth taking depending on the situation.
I think the point is our luck at first round QB's sucks. Rolling a bunch of picks into a bust would set us back many years. If it pans out of course I and most of us would climb on the band wagon.
-
i'm praying someone on this QB roster will play so damn good that picking another QB with our first pick would seem ridiculous making them go in another direction with their first couple of picks.
my biggest fear (jcam22) is that they package both our 1st rounders and maybe even our second rounder to move up to number 1 for a bust QB.
i will go apeshit!
So you'd honestly be upset if they packaged two first round picks and got a franchise QB at the level of say an Andrew Luck? I'm not saying Bridgewater or the like fit that bill but I wouldn't complain if it played out like that. There's a good reason teams go worst to first after they draft a QB. Of course it'd be awful if the guy ended up being a bust but it's a shot worth taking depending on the situation.
So you'd honestly be upset if they packaged two first round picks and got a franchise QB at the level of say an Andrew Luck? I'm not saying Bridgewater or the like fit that bill but I wouldn't complain if it played out like that. There's a good reason teams go worst to first after they draft a QB. Of course it'd be awful if the guy ended up being a bust but it's a shot worth taking depending on the situation.
of course not. but luck was a virtual lock.
do you see one in next year's draft? cuz i sure don't.
-
XxDaBuckeyexX said:
Jusy so everyone can see for themselves what kind of "talent evaluator" Lombardi is.
I hope he can use his mistakes as a learning experience. If so, we should have a stellar draft.
I hope he can use his mistakes as a learning experience. If so, we should have a stellar draft.
He started making his first mistakes in 1992. Now it is 21 years later.
His mistakes are now old enough to drink.
-
XxDaBuckeyexX said:
Jusy so everyone can see for themselves what kind of "talent evaluator" Lombardi is.
I count 70 players on that list.....and the best choice he ever made was a kicker.....Janikowski. Plus a few solid pros. Asomghua for a bit, and Huff some.
But truly his success rate is about 10%....unless I am missing something. Particularly his Browns years. (first stint)
I count 70 players on that list.....and the best choice he ever made was a kicker.....Janikowski. Plus a few solid pros. Asomghua for a bit, and Huff some.
But truly his success rate is about 10%....unless I am missing something. Particularly his Browns years. (first stint)
And if memory serves me right, using a first round pick on a kicker started a whole lot of shit in that draft and he took heavy criticism for that pick.
-
I was looking through an accounting of draft picks under his direction. My god his hit rate on talent is abysmal. I love our stockpiling draft picks to fill the team with fresh talent. The thing is I am terrified he will squander all of the picks on garbage. It will set us back many years. Does anyone else hope he somehow is toasted and gone before next years draft?
Well, It's not just Lombardi making the picks. Banner has final authority just as Holmgren did.
Then you've got the Farmer guy from Kansas City who I think is a big part of the personnel decisons.
Looks like they were doing a good job grocery shopping in KC.
Let's review some of the talent evaluations so far:
Huge shocking contract for Desmond Bryant ... he looks pretty damn good.
Totally restructure and beef up the defensive front seven ... so far, so good.
Somewhat surprising commitment to Barkevious Mingo with the #6 pick ... he looks immensely talented.
Bring in Brian Hoyer ... has already risen to the top of QB depth chart
Dump Richardson for a first round pick ... we'll see, but it certainly was ballsy and hopefully, brilliant
Plus ... get a draft pick for McCoy, let Phil and Josh walk ... none of that has bitten them in the ass yet.
I'm excited to see this all play out, actually.
Zombo
Zombo said:
Well, It's not just Lombardi making the picks. Banner has final authority just as Holmgren did.
Then you've got the Farmer guy from Kansas City who I think is a big part of the personnel decisons.
Looks like they were doing a good job grocery shopping in KC.
Let's review some of the talent evaluations so far:
Huge shocking contract for Desmond Bryant ... he looks pretty damn good.
Totally restructure and beef up the defensive front seven ... so far, so good.
Somewhat surprising commitment to Barkevious Mingo with the #6 pick ... he looks immensely talented.
Bring in Brian Hoyer ... has already risen to the top of QB depth chart
Dump Richardson for a first round pick ... we'll see, but it certainly was ballsy and hopefully, brilliant
Plus ... get a draft pick for McCoy, let Phil and Josh walk ... none of that has bitten them in the ass yet.
I'm excited to see this all play out, actually.
Zombo
Good post. You have actually swayed my thinking some. The points are valid that the decisions thus far have been very good. I will stay positive unless they trade Gordon. If they do I will likely go off the deep end lol
-
if the browns were smart they'd send to lombardi to hawaii on vaca during draft week and when he calls with his opinions just have the FO guy that picks up the phone make that squelching noise and say "sorry mike, but your breaking up!" and hang the fuck up.
-
I hope he can use his mistakes as a learning experience. If so, we should have a stellar draft.
He started making his first mistakes in 1992. Now it is 21 years later.
His mistakes are now old enough to drink.
He started making his first mistakes in 1992. Now it is 21 years later.
His mistakes are now old enough to drink.
LMAO!
-
Mike Lombardi aka League Source....there will be no front office secrets from what I understand of this guy. Knifes and backs go hand in hand for him
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login