Skip to content

So now what?

The Browns Board
38 20 2.0k
  • So does this statement mean they are already giving up on 2014?

    No - I simply think it means because of the backwards direction of the second half of 2013, they felt it was a carry-over to the 2014 season. I can understand that - what I cannot understand is the hiring in the first place. I did not like it then, and it looks even worse now. No, this is not an "I told you so", I just hated the fact that the used the "he is a local boy who grew up rooting for the Browns". I hate that - I hate when they use that and I hate when they use it for reasoning for taking someone from Ohio State "just because". I wanted Whisenhunt last year - I seriously doubt we get him now because 1 - he is going to land somewhere with all the new openings, and 2 - how does this look that we fire someone ONE season in? It is just becoming a rite of passage anymore that this franchise is always going to be a 4 or 5 win team. The most telling stat is we have more Pro Bowlers than wins - how does THAT happen?? That shows you a lot of missed opportunities were laid by the wayside. So, it begins again....

  • It is what it is.

    Year 15 must be when we get a franchise coach and QB.

  • Orange85 said:

    Everyone keeps blaming the QBs, but there are a lot more issues than just QB. The Browns could bring in Brady or Manning and it would not help much.

    you are so correct, was it scheme or lack of players that we could not gain a yard on the ground to save their lives, or stop anyone from gaining a yard on 3rd and 1.

  • Orange85 said:

    Everyone keeps blaming the QBs, but there are a lot more issues than just QB. The Browns could bring in Brady or Manning and it would not help much.

    you are so correct, was it scheme or lack of players that we could not gain a yard on the ground to save their lives, or stop anyone from gaining a yard on 3rd and 1.

    @topdawg31 said:

    you are so correct, was it scheme or lack of players that we could not gain a yard on the ground to save their lives, or stop anyone from gaining a yard on 3rd and 1.

    It was the players IMO. If you can;t run the ball, you need better players. If you can't stop 3rd downs, you need better players

  • Orange85 said:

    Everyone keeps blaming the QBs, but there are a lot more issues than just QB. The Browns could bring in Brady or Manning and it would not help much.

    Wrong. The #1 reason the Browns have struggled since 1999 is b/c they haven't had a QB... It really is that simple

  • Orange85 said:

    Everyone keeps blaming the QBs, but there are a lot more issues than just QB. The Browns could bring in Brady or Manning and it would not help much.

    Wrong. The #1 reason the Browns have struggled since 1999 is b/c they haven't had a QB... It really is that simple

    @thenew23 said:

    Wrong. The #1 reason the Browns have struggled since 1999 is b/c they haven't had a QB... It really is that simple

    they also haven't had a good headcoach

  • Whisenhunt. He had success when he had a good qb.

  • Get Lombardi out of there.

  • 1st thing I would do.........Hire a coach that has been a NFL head coach before. Start there!!!!!!!!!

  • Orange85 said:

    So how many QBs and Head Coaches do the Browns need to go through before you understand that it takes a lot more than a QB to win. Look at some of the Browns past QBs college careers. They didn't win all of those games by luck. I know Weeden is hated here and he has not played well overall, but he beat Folles, RG3 (multiple times), and Luck in college and had great games doing it. Did he become a horrible QB overnight? Hardly. This entire organization is in shambles. Not just the QB situationโ€ฆ.it is really that simple. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    Actually he did... it was the night he went from a college QB to an NFL QB... Tons of guys are good in college, but don't have the game that translates to the NFL. Comparing college success to NFL success is apples to oranges... don't be stupid...

  • I have a feeling we can say goodbye to Alex Mack, and possibly TJ Ward b/c of this decision. We can franchise Ward, but Mack won't want to stay unless we bring in somebody impressive to take over the offense... If we lose Mack, that's a major blow to our o-line...

    Interesting offseason ahead...

  • @thenew23 said:

    Wrong. The #1 reason the Browns have struggled since 1999 is b/c they haven't had a QB... It really is that simple

    they also haven't had a good headcoach

    @browns149 said:

    they also haven't had a good headcoach

    I don't think we know that. The best I've felt about the Browns since 99, the most optimistic i'd been.....was in '10 when they went to NO and NE and put a beating on two of the elite teams in the NFL. It was Mangini's 2nd year right? He had a bad 1st year, than went 5-11 but put the Browns on the national discussion. The Sports world was talking about the Browns again. We had a backfield that looked like it was going to steam iron the North for years to come. But we had a shitty qb and Mangini was mean to him.....FIRED!!!! And say what you will about Shurmur but most of these guys here today are his guys...and some of ain't bad. Obviously I think Mangini had us closer to something than Shurm did...but my point is that how do we fucking know we havne't had a good coach? They're all gone after 2 years.

  • @browns149 said:

    they also haven't had a good headcoach

    I don't think we know that. The best I've felt about the Browns since 99, the most optimistic i'd been.....was in '10 when they went to NO and NE and put a beating on two of the elite teams in the NFL. It was Mangini's 2nd year right? He had a bad 1st year, than went 5-11 but put the Browns on the national discussion. The Sports world was talking about the Browns again. We had a backfield that looked like it was going to steam iron the North for years to come. But we had a shitty qb and Mangini was mean to him.....FIRED!!!! And say what you will about Shurmur but most of these guys here today are his guys...and some of ain't bad. Obviously I think Mangini had us closer to something than Shurm did...but my point is that how do we fucking know we havne't had a good coach? They're all gone after 2 years.

    @clevfan4life said:

    I don't think we know that. The best I've felt about the Browns since 99, the most optimistic i'd been.....was in '10 when they went to NO and NE and put a beating on two of the elite teams in the NFL. It was Mangini's 2nd year right? He had a bad 1st year, than went 5-11 but put the Browns on the national discussion. The Sports world was talking about the Browns again. We had a backfield that looked like it was going to steam iron the North for years to come. But we had a shitty qb and Mangini was mean to him.....FIRED!!!! And say what you will about Shurmur but most of these guys here today are his guys...and some of ain't bad. Obviously I think Mangini had us closer to something than Shurm did...but my point is that how do we fucking know we havne't had a good coach? They're all gone after 2 years.

    with the exception of Belicheck where are all of the previously fired Browns head coaches? I believe I know if they were good or not.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I don't think we know that. The best I've felt about the Browns since 99, the most optimistic i'd been.....was in '10 when they went to NO and NE and put a beating on two of the elite teams in the NFL. It was Mangini's 2nd year right? He had a bad 1st year, than went 5-11 but put the Browns on the national discussion. The Sports world was talking about the Browns again. We had a backfield that looked like it was going to steam iron the North for years to come. But we had a shitty qb and Mangini was mean to him.....FIRED!!!! And say what you will about Shurmur but most of these guys here today are his guys...and some of ain't bad. Obviously I think Mangini had us closer to something than Shurm did...but my point is that how do we fucking know we havne't had a good coach? They're all gone after 2 years.

    with the exception of Belicheck where are all of the previously fired Browns head coaches? I believe I know if they were good or not.

    @topdawg31 said:

    with the exception of Belicheck where are all of the previously fired Browns head coaches? I believe I know if they were good or not.

    Well Shurmur is now the offensive coordinator for the philly eagles, did you know that? Romeo went to the Chiefs and is credited with alot of the guys that are currently on that roster who are making this run of theirs possible. Mangini has turned down offers, he's waiting for his spot. Honestly I'd love for them to bring him back because he'd at least keep the defensive scheme in place. So no you don't know what they would have done with 4-5 years in Cleveland. IMO if Mangini was still here we'd have the drivers seat in the North. I base that on the fact the North has had a significant downturn and that Lawrence Vickers and Peyton Hillis would still be rolling downhill. Just because neither of those guys did much after they left here doesn't mean they weren't in a good spot and wouldn't have continued to produce at a high level.

  • @topdawg31 said:

    with the exception of Belicheck where are all of the previously fired Browns head coaches? I believe I know if they were good or not.

    Well Shurmur is now the offensive coordinator for the philly eagles, did you know that? Romeo went to the Chiefs and is credited with alot of the guys that are currently on that roster who are making this run of theirs possible. Mangini has turned down offers, he's waiting for his spot. Honestly I'd love for them to bring him back because he'd at least keep the defensive scheme in place. So no you don't know what they would have done with 4-5 years in Cleveland. IMO if Mangini was still here we'd have the drivers seat in the North. I base that on the fact the North has had a significant downturn and that Lawrence Vickers and Peyton Hillis would still be rolling downhill. Just because neither of those guys did much after they left here doesn't mean they weren't in a good spot and wouldn't have continued to produce at a high level.

    @clevfan4life said:

    Well Shurmur is now the offensive coordinator for the philly eagles, did you know that? Romeo went to the Chiefs and is credited with alot of the guys that are currently on that roster who are making this run of theirs possible. Mangini has turned down offers, he's waiting for his spot. Honestly I'd love for them to bring him back because he'd at least keep the defensive scheme in place. So no you don't know what they would have done with 4-5 years in Cleveland. IMO if Mangini was still here we'd have the drivers seat in the North. I base that on the fact the North has had a significant downturn and that Lawrence Vickers and Peyton Hillis would still be rolling downhill. Just because neither of those guys did much after they left here doesn't mean they weren't in a good spot and wouldn't have continued to produce at a high level.

    none are or ever will be head coaches again so whats your point?

  • Shurmur might be with the Eagles, but let's not kid ourselves about who runs the offense. You can credit Romeo with the Chief success this year if you want, but the Chiefs didn't seem to think he was working, and it looks to me like he did a terrible job with a fairly talented team. I didn't think that Mangini got a fair shake in Cleveland, but I don't know if I'd say I want him back.

    What I DON'T want is another coach who wants to dismantle everything and start from scratch again because what's here isn't his personal preference. Unless you're some established gameplan/scheme revolutionary with proven success, I don't want to hear about YOUR system. Come in, look at what's in place here and IMPROVE on that. Don't tear it all down all over again and waste YET ANOTHER year so that you can have things the way you want them. If you accept the job, accept that we're asking you to improve THIS team, not to waste years starting over from scratch AGAIN.

  • Shurmur might be with the Eagles, but let's not kid ourselves about who runs the offense. You can credit Romeo with the Chief success this year if you want, but the Chiefs didn't seem to think he was working, and it looks to me like he did a terrible job with a fairly talented team. I didn't think that Mangini got a fair shake in Cleveland, but I don't know if I'd say I want him back.

    What I DON'T want is another coach who wants to dismantle everything and start from scratch again because what's here isn't his personal preference. Unless you're some established gameplan/scheme revolutionary with proven success, I don't want to hear about YOUR system. Come in, look at what's in place here and IMPROVE on that. Don't tear it all down all over again and waste YET ANOTHER year so that you can have things the way you want them. If you accept the job, accept that we're asking you to improve THIS team, not to waste years starting over from scratch AGAIN.

    @spectralcow said:

    Come in, look at what's in place here and IMPROVE on that. Don't tear it all down all over again and waste YET ANOTHER year so that you can have things the way you want them. If you accept the job, accept that we're asking you to improve THIS team, not to waste years starting over from scratch AGAIN.

    aaaannnnddd the only guy you're gonna get to come in here and agree to that is someone with limited to no experience who's just grateful to have an NFL slot. Fantastic. No established coach is gonna say yeah i'll come in and gurantee a 10 win season with guys he didn't pick or have a hand in picking. It ain't gonna happen. Every coach knows this. Even FA's have to be interviewed by the coach and he has to sign off on whether this guy fits his scheme mentally and physically. It just takes time and coaches have to build their team. What you want just isn't going to happen...it never happens. It hasn't happened in the past. Heck Mangini revamped Romeo's team and they came from the same Belichick stable. Than Shurm turned over that team than Chuds came in and "reworked" Shurms's team, not completely revamped....and we see how well that worked.

  • Every coaching change involves a rebuild to some extent. Every single one.

  • Really? Seems like Andy Reid did an okay job of it. I'm not saying that the Browns are the Chiefs, and I don't expect an immediate turn around to that extent, but some improvement instead of "different-looking failure" would be nice.

    And wasn't Chud some guy with limited to no experience? What exactly did he do before he got to Cleveland? Surely you're not crediting him with anything in Carolina. He didn't give birth to Cam Newton, and I'm pretty sure that team is better this year without Chud. And regardless of that, how is what I'm asking worse than what has actually happened over and over again. Clearly the "let's get some low-cost guy to come in here and change everything again" option has not worked yet. So why don't we try bringing someone in and saying, "Look, you can eventually turn this team into your style of team, but it's got to be a forward-moving transition. You can't come in and throw up your hands and insist that we scrap everything while we wait for years for you to get the kind of players you like. Start with what's here, improve on it, and head it eventually in your own direction if you like."?

    And I'm not saying that a new coach/staff shouldn't involve any rebuilding. I'm saying that there's a difference between coming in and improving a team in your own way and coming in and saying "we're not doing anything that worked for us before; I like things to be completely different and we're not doing anything until we can do that."

  • wow i didn't think i'd ever agree with something coming out of cleveland4life's mouth or seeing on my monitor.

    mangini had the discipline that NFL players nowadays need, he hired a good staff. he made his players earn their jobs.

    chud was a dud from day one.