Skip to content

Another candidate emerges ....... Bills DC

The Browns Board
48 20 2.5k
  • @clevfan4life said:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/seasontype/2

    holy shit dude i've been as critical of the defense as anyone but he did get us to 9th overall in his first fucking year. We completely changed schemes so wtf dude? If 9th overall is "shit" for a 1st year coach then expectations are impossibly high here in Cleveland and no one is ever going to make any traction. You don't tear up a 1 year top 10 defense and you sure as fucking shit don't let the coordinator go who got the defense to that position. Yeah we have holes....which makes it all the more impressive that we were still 9th overall. With 2 more years and more drafts/FA signings Horton could have had us in the top 3 and shitting all over the AFC North. But no ur right he's shit. 😎

    We also regressed in key categories and our red zone defense was among the worst in the league.

    Yards allowed isn't the end all be all of defensive statistics.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We also regressed in key categories and our red zone defense was among the worst in the league.

    Yards allowed isn't the end all be all of defensive statistics.

    i agree we had issues. Definitely earned himself an extended stay though no question.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #33

    fuck horton. yeah he was good in ARIZ but look at the talent level, certainly a better D backfield.

    i'm just not a 3-4 guy. you need pass rushers on both ends which spreads the OL out more so the DL players have a better chance of getting to the QB also. i saw nothing inventive about horton's D. one thing he did succeed is at not knowing how to adjust at halftime and let the opposing team march back from their defecits only for us to lose our halftime lead.

    wonder what the team would be like if mangini and ryan were still here. hmmmmmm..................

  • fuck horton. yeah he was good in ARIZ but look at the talent level, certainly a better D backfield.

    i'm just not a 3-4 guy. you need pass rushers on both ends which spreads the OL out more so the DL players have a better chance of getting to the QB also. i saw nothing inventive about horton's D. one thing he did succeed is at not knowing how to adjust at halftime and let the opposing team march back from their defecits only for us to lose our halftime lead.

    wonder what the team would be like if mangini and ryan were still here. hmmmmmm..................

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @miktoxic said:

    fuck horton. yeah he was good in ARIZ but look at the talent level, certainly a better D backfield.

    i'm just not a 3-4 guy. you need pass rushers on both ends which spreads the OL out more so the DL players have a better chance of getting to the QB also. i saw nothing inventive about horton's D. one thing he did succeed is at not knowing how to adjust at halftime and let the opposing team march back from their defecits only for us to lose our halftime lead.

    wonder what the team would be like if mangini and ryan were still here. hmmmmmm..................

    I agree..I think the 3-4 leaves open the middle of the field too much...incidently...ever notice thats how we get continually toasted?...you need Troy Polamalu,a young Brian Urlacher and fast outside linebackers and safeties to run a proper 3-4...and a Monster NT...we have none.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #35

    I give Sheard a pass cause he had to drop weight and change positions, but if Paul Kruger had put out what he was paid to have in terms of pass rush....this defense would have clicked. He turned around his run defense from his time in Blt so he gets a pass this year but if next year he only gets 4 sacks he's got to go. We can't have a guy pulling 8m to get sacks only getting 4-5 sacks on the season. We can find run stoppers for a fraction of his price. I think we have the ability to run the hybrid 3-4 which is what I hope we stay with. I don't think we have the LB'ing corp to run a 4-3 anymore. If DQ gets hurt, than our 4-3 would fall apart...we have no one ready to step in and play the mike in a 4-3. The scheme wasn't the problem...it was the transition AND certain key players were not playing to their contracts. Our best defense looks this year were when we had 3 DT's in the game and either Kruger or Sheard would come up to the line and put their hands in the dirt depending on the call. Or not drop down if run was expected. That's what I hope we continue with. This is where the league is going....3-4/4-3 doesn't matter, it's all based on reacting to what the offense is doing.

  • fuck horton. yeah he was good in ARIZ but look at the talent level, certainly a better D backfield.

    i'm just not a 3-4 guy. you need pass rushers on both ends which spreads the OL out more so the DL players have a better chance of getting to the QB also. i saw nothing inventive about horton's D. one thing he did succeed is at not knowing how to adjust at halftime and let the opposing team march back from their defecits only for us to lose our halftime lead.

    wonder what the team would be like if mangini and ryan were still here. hmmmmmm..................

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #36

    I love the 3-4... but the history of standing up DEs to fill out your LB corps is not a good one. Certainly our latest example, standing Sheard up, is not the best use of him, but as an experiment at least it was nowhere near Alvin McKinley bad.

    @miktoxic said:

    wonder what the team would be like if mangini and ryan were still here. hmmmmmm..................

    We'd still be running the 3-4 you don't like... but it'd be a fun 3-4.

  • I love the 3-4... but the history of standing up DEs to fill out your LB corps is not a good one. Certainly our latest example, standing Sheard up, is not the best use of him, but as an experiment at least it was nowhere near Alvin McKinley bad.

    @miktoxic said:

    wonder what the team would be like if mangini and ryan were still here. hmmmmmm..................

    We'd still be running the 3-4 you don't like... but it'd be a fun 3-4.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @tour2ma said:

    I love the 3-4... but the history of standing up DEs to fill out your LB corps is not a good one. Certainly our latest example, standing Sheard up, is not the best use of him, but as an experiment at least it was nowhere near Alvin McKinley bad.

    We'd still be running the 3-4 you don't like... but it'd be a fun 3-4.

    If mangini was still here wed be using old vets that cant get out of thier own fucking way...no thanks...hes a Dufus...

  • @tour2ma said:

    I love the 3-4... but the history of standing up DEs to fill out your LB corps is not a good one. Certainly our latest example, standing Sheard up, is not the best use of him, but as an experiment at least it was nowhere near Alvin McKinley bad.

    We'd still be running the 3-4 you don't like... but it'd be a fun 3-4.

    If mangini was still here wed be using old vets that cant get out of thier own fucking way...no thanks...hes a Dufus...

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @nickers said:

    If mangini was still here wed be using old vets that cant get out of thier own fucking way...no thanks...hes a Dufus...

    nope, we'd have been sniffing the AFC championship. I guarantee we'd have won the AFC North at least twice by now, for sure this year. The offense Mangini was building was going to steam roll the North for years, he was just missing a qb.

  • fuck horton. yeah he was good in ARIZ but look at the talent level, certainly a better D backfield.

    i'm just not a 3-4 guy. you need pass rushers on both ends which spreads the OL out more so the DL players have a better chance of getting to the QB also. i saw nothing inventive about horton's D. one thing he did succeed is at not knowing how to adjust at halftime and let the opposing team march back from their defecits only for us to lose our halftime lead.

    wonder what the team would be like if mangini and ryan were still here. hmmmmmm..................

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @miktoxic said:

    fuck horton. yeah he was good in ARIZ but look at the talent level, certainly a better D backfield.

    i'm just not a 3-4 guy. you need pass rushers on both ends which spreads the OL out more so the DL players have a better chance of getting to the QB also. i saw nothing inventive about horton's D. one thing he did succeed is at not knowing how to adjust at halftime and let the opposing team march back from their defecits only for us to lose our halftime lead.

    wonder what the team would be like if mangini and ryan were still here. hmmmmmm..................

    You realize Ryan primarily adheres to the 3-4, right?

    Further, in a typical 3-4, the edge rushing OLB's are lined up equally as wide as typical 4-3 defensive ends.

    The problem is that Horton's blitzes were I effective. There was a three game span in which Horton called 56 blitzes and yet we recorded zero sacks on those calls. I believe it was weeks 12-14, but I'm not entirely sure.

  • Kennel ClubK Kennel Club wrote on last edited by
    #40

    In ascending order I would like the next Browns head coach to be Dan Quinn, Rob Ryan or Mike Pettine. I have always favoured a defensive minded HC.

  • @nickers said:

    If mangini was still here wed be using old vets that cant get out of thier own fucking way...no thanks...hes a Dufus...

    nope, we'd have been sniffing the AFC championship. I guarantee we'd have won the AFC North at least twice by now, for sure this year. The offense Mangini was building was going to steam roll the North for years, he was just missing a qb.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @clevfan4life said:

    nope, we'd have been sniffing the AFC championship. I guarantee we'd have won the AFC North at least twice by now, for sure this year. The offense Mangini was building was going to steam roll the North for years, he was just missing a qb.

    the QB thing seems to be a common theme...
  • @miktoxic said:

    fuck horton. yeah he was good in ARIZ but look at the talent level, certainly a better D backfield.

    i'm just not a 3-4 guy. you need pass rushers on both ends which spreads the OL out more so the DL players have a better chance of getting to the QB also. i saw nothing inventive about horton's D. one thing he did succeed is at not knowing how to adjust at halftime and let the opposing team march back from their defecits only for us to lose our halftime lead.

    wonder what the team would be like if mangini and ryan were still here. hmmmmmm..................

    You realize Ryan primarily adheres to the 3-4, right?

    Further, in a typical 3-4, the edge rushing OLB's are lined up equally as wide as typical 4-3 defensive ends.

    The problem is that Horton's blitzes were I effective. There was a three game span in which Horton called 56 blitzes and yet we recorded zero sacks on those calls. I believe it was weeks 12-14, but I'm not entirely sure.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You realize Ryan primarily adheres to the 3-4, right?

    Further, in a typical 3-4, the edge rushing OLB's are lined up equally as wide as typical 4-3 defensive ends.

    The problem is that Horton's blitzes were I effective. There was a three game span in which Horton called 56 blitzes and yet we recorded zero sacks on those calls. I believe it was weeks 12-14, but I'm not entirely sure.

    yes but it is as hybrid as you can get. sometimes he switches to a 4-3 looking scheme. the guy is all over the board which why i think his defenses are always decent given the right personnel.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You realize Ryan primarily adheres to the 3-4, right?

    Further, in a typical 3-4, the edge rushing OLB's are lined up equally as wide as typical 4-3 defensive ends.

    The problem is that Horton's blitzes were I effective. There was a three game span in which Horton called 56 blitzes and yet we recorded zero sacks on those calls. I believe it was weeks 12-14, but I'm not entirely sure.

    yes but it is as hybrid as you can get. sometimes he switches to a 4-3 looking scheme. the guy is all over the board which why i think his defenses are always decent given the right personnel.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @miktoxic said:

    yes but it is as hybrid as you can get. sometimes he switches to a 4-3 looking scheme. the guy is all over the board which why i think his defenses are always decent given the right personnel.

    The best DCs are the ones who can build their scheme based on personnel.

    That's what Horton promised (and failed). I think someone like Mike Zimmer is almost as good as it gets. But good bigger names haven't been talked about.

  • L larryfine wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Bernie Kosar should be the next head coach.

  • @nickers said:

    If mangini was still here wed be using old vets that cant get out of thier own fucking way...no thanks...hes a Dufus...

    nope, we'd have been sniffing the AFC championship. I guarantee we'd have won the AFC North at least twice by now, for sure this year. The offense Mangini was building was going to steam roll the North for years, he was just missing a qb.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #45

    @clevfan4life said:

    nope, we'd have been sniffing the AFC championship. I guarantee we'd have won the AFC North at least twice by now, for sure this year. The offense Mangini was building was going to steam roll the North for years, he was just missing a qb.

    TBH, I don't remember us building an O.

    What I do remember is an exciting, overachieving, innovative D and a team attitude that certainly showed on the offensive side of the ball as well.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The problem is that Horton's blitzes were I(n)effective. There was a three game span in which Horton called 56 blitzes and yet we recorded zero sacks on those calls. I believe it was weeks 12-14, but I'm not entirely sure.

    I believe you skipped an "n".

    I knew there was a long dry-spell in there, but had not idea it was that long. All I know is that we always seemed to blitz into space occupied by an awaiting blocker, while in game after other game I'd watch, blitzers looped into free runs at the QB.

    Whether it was due to poor design, disguise or execution, our blitzes were ineffective way too often...

    @miktoxic said:

    sometimes he switches to a 4-3 looking scheme. the guy is all over the board which why i think his defenses are always decent given the right personnel.

    LOL... I still remember the first time we saw Rob's 1-4-6 Defense... everyone except a DE in a 2-point stance.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    nope, we'd have been sniffing the AFC championship. I guarantee we'd have won the AFC North at least twice by now, for sure this year. The offense Mangini was building was going to steam roll the North for years, he was just missing a qb.

    TBH, I don't remember us building an O.

    What I do remember is an exciting, overachieving, innovative D and a team attitude that certainly showed on the offensive side of the ball as well.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The problem is that Horton's blitzes were I(n)effective. There was a three game span in which Horton called 56 blitzes and yet we recorded zero sacks on those calls. I believe it was weeks 12-14, but I'm not entirely sure.

    I believe you skipped an "n".

    I knew there was a long dry-spell in there, but had not idea it was that long. All I know is that we always seemed to blitz into space occupied by an awaiting blocker, while in game after other game I'd watch, blitzers looped into free runs at the QB.

    Whether it was due to poor design, disguise or execution, our blitzes were ineffective way too often...

    @miktoxic said:

    sometimes he switches to a 4-3 looking scheme. the guy is all over the board which why i think his defenses are always decent given the right personnel.

    LOL... I still remember the first time we saw Rob's 1-4-6 Defense... everyone except a DE in a 2-point stance.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @tour2ma said:

    LOL... I still remember the first time we saw Rob's 1-4-6 Defense... everyone except a DE in a 2-point stance.

    and how did it work out for us?

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #47

    Very well... I think it was the NE game.

    I seem to remember reading Brady's lips after he walked up to the line of scrimage on a 3rd and long down around our 20.

    Anyway he saw that D and I believe he said something along the lines of, "What the Fuck?"... Anyway he proceeded to muff a handoff and then got into a shouting match with his RB, Woodhead.

    I was in THE BrownsBacker bar in the Houston area and as Woodhead was going back at Tom, I yelled, "You run it... you're bigger than me."

    Next thing I knew I was handed a free beer...

  • Bernie Kosar should be the next head coach.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @larryfine said:

    Bernie Kosar should be the next head coach.

    Bernie Kosar is in no physical condition to handle the daily rigors of coaching...