Skip to content

"It's a passing league"

The Browns Board
148 24 4.0k
  • It's a "pass the dutchie" league ... since the only two states to legalize pot are going to the Super Bowl. Ohio better get to work.

    Zombo

  • I would gamble on a freak of nature (Clowney), than an undersize QB.

    But that's just me.

    @masterdog said:

    I would gamble on a freak of nature (Clowney), than an undersize QB.

    But that's just me.

    I'd gamble on a twice nominated and once winning Heisman trophy quarterback over a defensive end.

    But that's just me.

  • It's a "pass the dutchie" league ... since the only two states to legalize pot are going to the Super Bowl. Ohio better get to work.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    It's a "pass the dutchie" league ... since the only two states to legalize pot are going to the Super Bowl. Ohio better get to work.

    Zombo

    Interesting that that is the case. I am sure that Kasich will get right on that...right after they pass the gay marriage act.

  • It's a "pass the dutchie" league ... since the only two states to legalize pot are going to the Super Bowl. Ohio better get to work.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    It's a "pass the dutchie" league ... since the only two states to legalize pot are going to the Super Bowl. Ohio better get to work.

    Zombo

    Genius. Pass the law, and it's Browns vs. Bengals in the AFC Championship next year... And, fast food sales triple across the state...

  • @masterdog said:

    I would gamble on a freak of nature (Clowney), than an undersize QB.

    But that's just me.

    I'd gamble on a twice nominated and once winning Heisman trophy quarterback over a defensive end.

    But that's just me.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I'd gamble on a twice nominated and once winning Heisman trophy quarterback over a defensive end.

    But that's just me.

    For the 4th pick in the draft I personally would prefer we take Sammy Watkins. He looks to be as high reward low risk as it gets. I know that takes us out of contention for what most people consider the top 3 QB prospects but I think the for risk / reward Garropolo or Mettenberger developing behind Hoyer is a solid plan and achievable in the 2nd to 3rd round. I suspect Garropolo stock will continue to soar and might even make it to the bottom of the 1st?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I'd gamble on a twice nominated and once winning Heisman trophy quarterback over a defensive end.

    But that's just me.

    For the 4th pick in the draft I personally would prefer we take Sammy Watkins. He looks to be as high reward low risk as it gets. I know that takes us out of contention for what most people consider the top 3 QB prospects but I think the for risk / reward Garropolo or Mettenberger developing behind Hoyer is a solid plan and achievable in the 2nd to 3rd round. I suspect Garropolo stock will continue to soar and might even make it to the bottom of the 1st?

    @jcam222 said:

    I suspect Garropolo stock will continue to soar and might even make it to the bottom of the 1st?

    I agree, when it's all said and done I would not be surprised to see Garoppolo get selected late first early second.

  • I'm actually one that believe Manziel will struggle if he lands in Cleveland. In a team that has a better defense and coaching staff in place, i think he have a higher chance to succeed. The only QB in this draft that can come into Cleveland and be up and running quickly is Bridgewater simply because he's been running a pro-style offense for 2 years at Lousville. Would i like them to trade up to grab Bridgewater, NO. I would spread rumors of hyping Manziel and Bridgewater (no first round grade) and prays Bridgewater will fall to us at 4.

    I'm also am not fond of Manziel's running style.

    Yes, it's exciting but there's wrecknessless. His high INT is also a concern. He has a tendency to throw one up for grab.

    @masterdog said:

    I'm also am not fond of Manziel's running style.

    Yes, it's exciting but there's recklessness. His high INT is also a concern. He has a tendency to throw one up for grab.

    The more I watch of Manziel, the more I agree with that. His running style sooner or later is going to land him with a big hit in the NFL. Or scrambling around right into a linebacker coming at him full tilt.

  • @hoorta said:

    That's what I'm saying TC- a mobile qb is fine, it's becoming more and more of a necessity. Manning and Brady may be the last of that genre. I'll take a Kapernic or a Wilson good @ 4- Manziel is not either of them. He might (possibly) have the passing ability, but IMHO he doesn't have the frame to stay healthy if he takes off running on a consistent basis.

    Yeah- so how about Bortles @ 4, and Tre Mason with the second first rounder? I can even live with Watkins, and then Carr or Mason, and\or take Garrapolo in the second round. IMHO a stud run blocking OG should be high on the Browns shopping list- Pinkston and Lavaou suck.

    Manziel is two inches taller and 5 pounds heavier than Wilson. My bet is he'll measure in at 6'0 3/4" and 212 lbs at the Combine.

    I'm just as scared, but I'm warming up to Manziel. Obviously, I would love Bortles. But I can see the Manziel appeal now. People don't realize that Manziel has very similar strengths as Wilson, passing wise. He's not a schlub at throwing.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Manziel is two inches taller and 5 pounds heavier than Wilson. My bet is he'll measure in at 6'0 3/4" and 212 lbs at the Combine.

    I'm just as scared, but I'm warming up to Manziel. Obviously, I would love Bortles. But I can see the Manziel appeal now. People don't realize that Manziel has very similar strengths as Wilson, passing wise. He's not a schlub at throwing.

    That's assuming he shows up. Combine? I don't need no damn combine, I'm JOHNNY FREAKING FOOTBALL © !!!! Or you forget he blew off Manning's Camp? If you're not concerned about off-field crap he's pulled, maybe you should be.

  • Sounds to me like he'd pull an Elway/Eli if the Browns were to draft him. Or maybe the circus performer would be attracted to the circus.

  • I still think Manziel would be in the wrong division, wrong weather.

    He can only do the things he does if he has a dome, or plays all

    home games in nice weather.

    I don't see it. He's a great, really great college qb at improvising.

    But kinda like a lot of players have said - in the NFL, every single player

    you face was also a "great" college player. I don't think Manziel is a good fit

    for the Browns. But the chance he'd pull an "Eli" is pretty strong.

    Hell, coaches don't want to come to the Browns now, some won't even interview.

    Not a stretch that college players would rather play for a respectable NFL organization

    without having a new coach every single year... .....Haslam... you listenin?

  • Zombo said:

    It's a "pass the dutchie" league ... since the only two states to legalize pot are going to the Super Bowl. Ohio better get to work.

    Zombo

    Genius. Pass the law, and it's Browns vs. Bengals in the AFC Championship next year... And, fast food sales triple across the state...

    @thenew23 said:

    Genius. Pass the law, and it's Browns vs. Bengals in the AFC Championship next year... And, fast food sales triple across the state...

    Not even pot can let Marvin get past the first round of the playoffs.

  • @masterdog said:

    I'm also am not fond of Manziel's running style.

    Yes, it's exciting but there's recklessness. His high INT is also a concern. He has a tendency to throw one up for grab.

    The more I watch of Manziel, the more I agree with that. His running style sooner or later is going to land him with a big hit in the NFL. Or scrambling around right into a linebacker coming at him full tilt.

    @hoorta said:

    The more I watch of Manziel, the more I agree with that. His running style sooner or later is going to land him with a big hit in the NFL. Or scrambling around right into a linebacker coming at him full tilt.

    There's NO ONE better at escaping presssure than M. Vick and the reason M. Vick never turn out to be a good passer or QB in this league is because of his 'freakish' physical ability. Instead of making the proper reads and going through his pass progressions, he will tuck it away and run. Yes, it's exicting, yes it 'can' move the chains, 'yes' you can win some games BUT in the long run he will not progress as a passing QB. His ceiling looks high but it really isn't.

    I've been reading that 'Manziel' have the highest risk and the highest ceiling. That's pure BS and frabrication of folks that don't understand this new 'passing' NFL. The highest ceiling and standard in the NFL are the Payton Manning, Brees, Brady & A. Rodgers. Guys that can throw for 5,000 yards and 45+ TD a season with less than 30-50 rushing yards. Can anyone truly think Manziel could be a pure pocket passer like these 4 guys? No way...not with the way he runs around. His greatest ability will also be his greatest liability. And stop with this college awards stuff, College numbers means NOTHING in the NFL. The game is different. When was the last time a heisman trophy winner did anything in the NFL?

  • @hoorta said:

    The more I watch of Manziel, the more I agree with that. His running style sooner or later is going to land him with a big hit in the NFL. Or scrambling around right into a linebacker coming at him full tilt.

    There's NO ONE better at escaping presssure than M. Vick and the reason M. Vick never turn out to be a good passer or QB in this league is because of his 'freakish' physical ability. Instead of making the proper reads and going through his pass progressions, he will tuck it away and run. Yes, it's exicting, yes it 'can' move the chains, 'yes' you can win some games BUT in the long run he will not progress as a passing QB. His ceiling looks high but it really isn't.

    I've been reading that 'Manziel' have the highest risk and the highest ceiling. That's pure BS and frabrication of folks that don't understand this new 'passing' NFL. The highest ceiling and standard in the NFL are the Payton Manning, Brees, Brady & A. Rodgers. Guys that can throw for 5,000 yards and 45+ TD a season with less than 30-50 rushing yards. Can anyone truly think Manziel could be a pure pocket passer like these 4 guys? No way...not with the way he runs around. His greatest ability will also be his greatest liability. And stop with this college awards stuff, College numbers means NOTHING in the NFL. The game is different. When was the last time a heisman trophy winner did anything in the NFL?

    @masterdog said:

    There's NO ONE better at escaping M. Vick and the reason M. Vick never turn out to be a good passer or QB in this league is because of his 'freakish' physical ability. Instead of making the proper reads and going through his pass progressions, he will tuck it away and run. Yes, it's exicting, yes it 'can' move the chains, 'yes' you can win some games BUT in the long run he will not progress as a passing QB. His ceiling looks high but it really isn't.

    I've been reading that 'Manziel' have the highest risk and the highest ceiling. That's pure BS and frabrication of folks that don't understand this new 'passing' NFL. The highest ceiling and standard in the NFL are the Payton Manning, Brees, Brady & A. Rodgers. Guys that can throw for 5,000 yards and 45+ TD a season with less than 30-50 rushing yards. Can anyone truly think Manziel could be a pure pocket passer like these 4 guys? No way...not with the way he runs around. His greatest ability will also be his greatest liability. And stop with this college awards stuff, College numbers means NOTHING in the NFL. The game is different. When was the last time a heisman trophy winner did anything in the NFL?

    I won't disqualify someone because they won the heisman and heisman winners haven't had HoF NFL careers lately.

    Most of the heisman winners are QBs, and good NFL QBs don't come out of every draft too often. (Last winner I'd happily take is Cam Newton)

    Since 2010, QBs I like are: Mallet/Cam/Luck/Wilson/Foles/Kaep/Cousins.

    That's like 7/51.

    If you went back 3 more years, there's maybe 2-3 more with Matt Ryan being the best.

    The odds aren't good regardless to find a QB who will be successful in the NFL.

    And Vick is ok, but he can't play a 16 game season.

    Apparently Ozzie thinks Bridgewater is a good prospect. That's good enough for me.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Manziel is two inches taller and 5 pounds heavier than Wilson. My bet is he'll measure in at 6'0 3/4" and 212 lbs at the Combine.

    I'm just as scared, but I'm warming up to Manziel. Obviously, I would love Bortles. But I can see the Manziel appeal now. People don't realize that Manziel has very similar strengths as Wilson, passing wise. He's not a schlub at throwing.

    That's assuming he shows up. Combine? I don't need no damn combine, I'm JOHNNY FREAKING FOOTBALL © !!!! Or you forget he blew off Manning's Camp? If you're not concerned about off-field crap he's pulled, maybe you should be.

    @hoorta said:

    That's assuming he shows up. Combine? I don't need no damn combine, I'm JOHNNY FREAKING FOOTBALL © !!!! Or you forget he blew off Manning's Camp? If you're not concerned about off-field crap he's pulled, maybe you should be.

    Or maybe you shouldn't be.

    You're putting too much stock into a 20 year old Heisman trophy winner going out and getting drunk. Guess what? Every 20 year old goes out and gets drunk. He just does it better than everyone else.

    You're crazy if you think he doesn't show up to the combine.

  • Screen-Shot-2014-01-21-at-8.58.16-PM.png

  • @hoorta said:

    That's assuming he shows up. Combine? I don't need no damn combine, I'm JOHNNY FREAKING FOOTBALL © !!!! Or you forget he blew off Manning's Camp? If you're not concerned about off-field crap he's pulled, maybe you should be.

    Or maybe you shouldn't be.

    You're putting too much stock into a 20 year old Heisman trophy winner going out and getting drunk. Guess what? Every 20 year old goes out and gets drunk. He just does it better than everyone else.

    You're crazy if you think he doesn't show up to the combine.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Or maybe you shouldn't be.

    You're putting too much stock into a 20 year old Heisman trophy winner going out and getting drunk. Guess what? Every 20 year old goes out and gets drunk. He just does it better than everyone else.

    You're crazy if you think he doesn't show up to the combine.

    I was yanking your chain about not showing up at the combine- but not about his (bad) off-field attitude. He blew off Payton Manning, I don't care if he had a hangover or not. The copyright stuff and other incidents warn me beware of a premature Fat Head. Might just be a severe lack of maturity- or maybe not. The short list of college qb party-hearties that made it big in the NFL start and end with Dan Marino.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    recipe for winning the AFC North.....

    We're dealing with the Baltimore, Pitts and Cin folks.

    To win this division, we need players in the trenches that can beat the crap out of them.

    @masterdog said:

    We're dealing with the Baltimore, Pitts and Cin folks.

    To win this division, we need players in the trenches that can beat the crap out of them.

    exactly

  • @masterdog said:

    I would gamble on a freak of nature (Clowney), than an undersize QB.

    But that's just me.

    I'd gamble on a twice nominated and once winning Heisman trophy quarterback over a defensive end.

    But that's just me.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I'd gamble on a twice nominated and once winning Heisman trophy quarterback over a defensive end.

    But that's just me.

    I'm putting him in with Tebow but let's be honest, college qb's can very good than eat a whole bag of dicks in the NFL. I'm not saying Manziel will necessarily suck, IF he's there at #4...ok fine. But he's not worth trading up. If he's gone before #4, fine....I would stay at 4 and take either Clowney or Watkins. Clowney is a complete player. I would still draft him and convert him to a hybrid OLB if we stayed in the 3-4.....if we move back to the 4-3 it's almost a no brainer, we have to take him if he's there. I know we have alot to fix on the offense but we're in the AFC North, we need to keep the level of defensive play where it is or if possible higher.

  • I started this topic (just for those who don't want to look back through the pages) and, at the time, I didn't intend it to be a debate about whether or not the Browns should take a QB in the first round or at #4 or whatever. For the record, I think the Browns definitely need to take a QB in the draft, and I wouldn't be opposed to them taking Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles (wherever they can get each respectively) in the first. I think people mistook me saying that there were teams who weren't dedicated ONLY to passing who were still having success in the NFL for me saying that the Browns should not attempt to draft a good QB if possible.

    Oh wait, I AM against trading up from #4, though, if it costs the Browns any other than like a zillionth round pick. That's just insanity.

  • I started this topic (just for those who don't want to look back through the pages) and, at the time, I didn't intend it to be a debate about whether or not the Browns should take a QB in the first round or at #4 or whatever. For the record, I think the Browns definitely need to take a QB in the draft, and I wouldn't be opposed to them taking Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles (wherever they can get each respectively) in the first. I think people mistook me saying that there were teams who weren't dedicated ONLY to passing who were still having success in the NFL for me saying that the Browns should not attempt to draft a good QB if possible.

    Oh wait, I AM against trading up from #4, though, if it costs the Browns any other than like a zillionth round pick. That's just insanity.

    @spectralcow said:

    Oh wait, I AM against trading up from #4, though, if it costs the Browns any other than like a zillionth round pick. That's just insanity.

    No, i don't think we went off the topic with discussing the QB situation. We are talking about the position that will 'pass' the ball.

    We must be insane to trade up to grab Manziel…then again, it's the Browns we are talking about.