Sleepers in 2014 NFL Draft
-
now that I disagree with. If TBITCH was a #3 overall then Hyde is easily a 2nd rounder. Homer pick?? Yea probably but he is exactly what the Browns need to balance Dion Lewis. If the Browns ain't lookin at Hyde they ain't lookin for another rb.It is a homer pick because I would love him on the Browns.
At the same time though I think he has real potential in the slot, and I know OSU fans that agree with me and think he could be a sleeper.
I think taking him late is less of a homer reach then taking Hyde in the 2nd
now that I disagree with. If TBITCH was a #3 overall then Hyde is easily a 2nd rounder. Homer pick?? Yea probably but he is exactly what the Browns need to balance Dion Lewis. If the Browns ain't lookin at Hyde they ain't lookin for another rb.
Sure they will. I'm as big an OSU homer as anyone, but they'd be remiss if they didn't take a long look at Tre Mason.
-
Well in that case I withdraw my job offer...
I spotted Abberderis early in the OSU game and pretty much fell in love with him. Then he had a rough patch mid-season and I wondered about him, but he finished strong.
I know you think it's overkill, but I keep seeing a Gordon-Watkins-Abbederis WR Corps in my mind's eye... and I like it!
I really did not consider specialty positions (K, P) at all... so I guess that's a form of weighting.

Good working definition and good list...
To my eye Skov seems to be a step slower than Borland and is a bit lighter to boot. It will be interesting to see them both at the combine.
I don't mind that reasoning. I just think that adding a handful of receivers is useless if there's no one to get them the ball.
@mike-h said:
James White, RB, Wisconsin... Reminds me of Gio Bernard.
Borland, LB, been mentioned
Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice.
Three we agree upon...
The more I look at Gaines, the more I think he might be 2014's steal of steals...
I don't mind that reasoning. I just think that adding a handful of receivers is useless if there's no one to get them the ball.
I'm counting on Hoyer to do that and still looking for my mid/ late round 2014 QB.
-
@mike-h said:
James White, RB, Wisconsin... Reminds me of Gio Bernard.
Borland, LB, been mentioned
Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice.
Three we agree upon...
The more I look at Gaines, the more I think he might be 2014's steal of steals...
I don't mind that reasoning. I just think that adding a handful of receivers is useless if there's no one to get them the ball.
I'm counting on Hoyer to do that and still looking for my mid/ late round 2014 QB.
so am I. Can't go on without wondering. And if a 4th overall qb is on the team there will never be a fair chance for anyone else. Of course I could always sit on the fence and wait for a winner and say I was on board with that pick all along. Kinda a sissy thing to do.Three we agree upon...
The more I look at Gaines, the more I think he might be 2014's steal of steals...
I'm counting on Hoyer to do that and still looking for my mid/ late round 2014 QB.
-
@mike-h said:
Colt McCoy, Brady Quinn, Charlie Frye, etc, etc, etc... All guys who never got fair chances in Cleveland and went on to do nothing elsewhere.
Exactly. This extended time of trying to put crap in the QB spot has to end (not that Hoyer is complete crap, he's just been bounced around by other teams enough for me to have some questions). Can't we at least "try" to add a guy with 1st round talent (and don't give me the Weeden argument, he was considered a 2nd rounder at best and undraftable by some)
-
@mike-h said:
I think it's funny no one gave Hoyer a shot last summer--some to even make the roster--when they signed him. Two DECENT starts and people are talking like hes won a super bowl.
Exactly.
-
have yet to read those posts. And exactly what's wrong with people admitting to being POSSIBLY wrong about him. I was wrong about him also. I certainly wanted to see more of him in2013. Now I would like to see more of him with more talent around him, a coach that likes him, and a full prrseason in 2014. Problem is if they draft a qb certain douchbags will be like oooo u wanted Hoyer not this guy. Like I've said a lot easier and pathetic to sit on the fence and wait to see who wins first.@mike-h said:
I think it's funny no one gave Hoyer a shot last summer--some to even make the roster--when they signed him. Two DECENT starts and people are talking like hes won a super bowl.
-
@mike-h said:
I think it's funny no one gave Hoyer a shot last summer--some to even make the roster--when they signed him. Two DECENT starts and people are talking like hes won a super bowl.
I think the discussion goes more like this: "should we take a flier on a QB with tons of question marks on him with the #4 pick, or should we take a bigger name talent at another position?"
Some are just as skeptical of Hoyer as they are with guys like Bridgewater/Manziel/Bortles. The difference is we're not talking about using the #4 overall pick on Hoyer.
Personally, I think this particular draft has some later round potential at QB. I think there could be a team or two that get a kaepernik/wilson type of guy.
Of course anything could happen. Every top QB could be average at best and there could be no later round guys that pan out to be good starters. I wouldn't hate us taking a QB at 4, I'm just skeptical it'd be the best move.
Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Houston fleeces us for the #1 pick, we take manziel, bridgewater falls to them, bridgewater turns into a 10-time pro-bowler, manziel is out of the league in 3 years, bortles and carr make the pro-bowl multiple times, the other pick houston gets from us turns into a HOF CB, lombardi is fired in november/december 14', Farmer leaves for a GM job elsewhere after lombardi is fired and wins 3 super bowls in 6 years.
-
@mike-h said:
I think it's funny no one gave Hoyer a shot last summer--some to even make the roster--when they signed him. Two DECENT starts and people are talking like hes won a super bowl.
I think the discussion goes more like this: "should we take a flier on a QB with tons of question marks on him with the #4 pick, or should we take a bigger name talent at another position?"
Some are just as skeptical of Hoyer as they are with guys like Bridgewater/Manziel/Bortles. The difference is we're not talking about using the #4 overall pick on Hoyer.
Personally, I think this particular draft has some later round potential at QB. I think there could be a team or two that get a kaepernik/wilson type of guy.
Of course anything could happen. Every top QB could be average at best and there could be no later round guys that pan out to be good starters. I wouldn't hate us taking a QB at 4, I'm just skeptical it'd be the best move.
Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Houston fleeces us for the #1 pick, we take manziel, bridgewater falls to them, bridgewater turns into a 10-time pro-bowler, manziel is out of the league in 3 years, bortles and carr make the pro-bowl multiple times, the other pick houston gets from us turns into a HOF CB, lombardi is fired in november/december 14', Farmer leaves for a GM job elsewhere after lombardi is fired and wins 3 super bowls in 6 years.
@mike-h said:
I think it's funny no one gave Hoyer a shot last summer--some to even make the roster--when they signed him. Two DECENT starts and people are talking like hes won a super bowl.
Obviously we have severely warped your sense of humor...

I think the discussion goes more like this: "should we take a flier on a QB with tons of question marks on him with the #4 pick, or should we take a ("can't miss") talent at another position?"
Everyone is (Some here are) just as skeptical of Hoyer as they are with guys like Bridgewater/Manziel/Bortles. The difference is we're not talking about using the #4 overall pick on Hoyer.
Very succinct post... hope you don't mind that I tweeked it a tad.
I, for one, am less skeptical of Hoyer than the Draft's "Big 4" because I have seen him at the NFL level
-
I take Watkins... He is "Can't miss" IMO...
I do not have to prove anything about my or anyone else's view of Hoyer when he was signed. Your request is as ridiculous as me asking you to produce every post saying Hoyer was a waste of a roster spot to support your "no one" hyperbole.
I had no opinion of Hoyer when Lombardi signed him. But by the time Wheezy first went down and it was time for a backup to step in, I was all for Hoyer being the one vs. Campbell... based upon what I had seen of Hoyer in pre-season vs. what I knew of Campbell's past performance at Oakland and Washington.
-
I take Watkins... He is "Can't miss" IMO...
I do not have to prove anything about my or anyone else's view of Hoyer when he was signed. Your request is as ridiculous as me asking you to produce every post saying Hoyer was a waste of a roster spot to support your "no one" hyperbole.
I had no opinion of Hoyer when Lombardi signed him. But by the time Wheezy first went down and it was time for a backup to step in, I was all for Hoyer being the one vs. Campbell... based upon what I had seen of Hoyer in pre-season vs. what I knew of Campbell's past performance at Oakland and Washington.
here here. Watkins is a slam dunk. Get the qb later. Chances are wed end up with the 2nd or 3rd qb off the board. Get Watkins ur gettin the best at his position maybe the whole draft.I take Watkins... He is "Can't miss" IMO...
I do not have to prove anything about my or anyone else's view of Hoyer when he was signed. Your request is as ridiculous as me asking you to produce every post saying Hoyer was a waste of a roster spot to support your "no one" hyperbole.
I had no opinion of Hoyer when Lombardi signed him. But by the time Wheezy first went down and it was time for a backup to step in, I was all for Hoyer being the one vs. Campbell... based upon what I had seen of Hoyer in pre-season vs. what I knew of Campbell's past performance at Oakland and Washington.
-
I take Watkins... He is "Can't miss" IMO...
I do not have to prove anything about my or anyone else's view of Hoyer when he was signed. Your request is as ridiculous as me asking you to produce every post saying Hoyer was a waste of a roster spot to support your "no one" hyperbole.
I had no opinion of Hoyer when Lombardi signed him. But by the time Wheezy first went down and it was time for a backup to step in, I was all for Hoyer being the one vs. Campbell... based upon what I had seen of Hoyer in pre-season vs. what I knew of Campbell's past performance at Oakland and Washington.
I take Watkins... He is "Can't miss" IMO...
I do not have to prove anything about my or anyone else's view of Hoyer when he was signed. Your request is as ridiculous as me asking you to produce every post saying Hoyer was a waste of a roster spot to support your "no one" hyperbole.
I had no opinion of Hoyer when Lombardi signed him. But by the time Wheezy first went down and it was time for a backup to step in, I was all for Hoyer being the one vs. Campbell... based upon what I had seen of Hoyer in pre-season vs. what I knew of Campbell's past performance at Oakland and Washington.
I don't feel it's hyperbole. I've been combing the forum for posts dated before the season and haven't found a single one that claims Hoyer has the potential to be a starter.
-
I take Watkins... He is "Can't miss" IMO...
I do not have to prove anything about my or anyone else's view of Hoyer when he was signed. Your request is as ridiculous as me asking you to produce every post saying Hoyer was a waste of a roster spot to support your "no one" hyperbole.
I had no opinion of Hoyer when Lombardi signed him. But by the time Wheezy first went down and it was time for a backup to step in, I was all for Hoyer being the one vs. Campbell... based upon what I had seen of Hoyer in pre-season vs. what I knew of Campbell's past performance at Oakland and Washington.
I don't feel it's hyperbole. I've been combing the forum for posts dated before the season and haven't found a single one that claims Hoyer has the potential to be a starter.
I don't feel it's hyperbole. I've been combing the forum for posts dated before the season and haven't found a single one that claims Hoyer has the potential to be a starter.
So...doubt Ull ever find one of DA before 07 and he was a probowler that year. Great analysis.
-
I take Watkins... He is "Can't miss" IMO...
I do not have to prove anything about my or anyone else's view of Hoyer when he was signed. Your request is as ridiculous as me asking you to produce every post saying Hoyer was a waste of a roster spot to support your "no one" hyperbole.
I had no opinion of Hoyer when Lombardi signed him. But by the time Wheezy first went down and it was time for a backup to step in, I was all for Hoyer being the one vs. Campbell... based upon what I had seen of Hoyer in pre-season vs. what I knew of Campbell's past performance at Oakland and Washington.
I don't feel it's hyperbole. I've been combing the forum for posts dated before the season and haven't found a single one that claims Hoyer has the potential to be a starter.
@mike-h said:
My whole point about what I wrote, is that no one valued Hoyer, at all, prove me wrong. He was "Lombardis boy" and on the outside looking in on the QB job from day 1.
I don't feel it's hyperbole. I've been combing the forum for posts dated before the season and haven't found a single one that claims Hoyer has the potential to be a starter.
TC, his use of "no one" is the very defintion of hyperbole...
hy路per路bo路le (h墨-p没r鈥瞓蓹-l膿)
n.A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton. -
@mike-h said:
I like him, like his story, but I want a super bowl and I'm not sure he's good enough for the job. You don't know if Manziel, Bridgewater or Bortles are yet. You use that No. 1 pick on a QB when ypu have "We will have a CHAMPIONSHIP LEVEL QB" written on your draft office wall.
Yes, you do... IF you believe that one of those three QBs (or Carr or a true darkhorse) in the draft is a Championship level QB.
It seems you do..
I do not...
So rather than ridicule my choice of Watkins over your annointed trinity (which will only serve to piss me off) why not spend your time trying to convince me that one (or more) of those QBs is the guy...
... and in return I will try to convince you he is/ they are not...
-
I don't feel it's hyperbole. I've been combing the forum for posts dated before the season and haven't found a single one that claims Hoyer has the potential to be a starter.
So...doubt Ull ever find one of DA before 07 and he was a probowler that year. Great analysis.
-
@mike-h said:
My whole point about what I wrote, is that no one valued Hoyer, at all, prove me wrong. He was "Lombardis boy" and on the outside looking in on the QB job from day 1.
I don't feel it's hyperbole. I've been combing the forum for posts dated before the season and haven't found a single one that claims Hoyer has the potential to be a starter.
TC, his use of "no one" is the very defintion of hyperbole...
hy路per路bo路le (h墨-p没r鈥瞓蓹-l膿)
n.A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.TC, his use of "no one" is the very defintion of hyperbole...
hy路per路bo路le (h墨-p没r鈥瞓蓹-l膿)
n.
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.
I know the definition of hyperbole. That's why I said I don't think it is. I literally can't find a single example of someone claiming him to be a starter.
-
@mike-h said:
How many teams have two No. 1 WRs? Then, tell me where those teams finished this season.
How 'bout the 2007 Pats with Moss and Welker... As I recall they went 16-0...
Can't wait for your to tell me Welker was not a #1...
-
Did anyone proclaim Wilson to be Seattle's savior when they drafted him?
I found this unexpected source prior to Hoyer's first start in Minnesota...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 馃挆
Register Login