Utopia
-
People will be fat, useless slugs. Laying around resembling the actual creature itself. Being fed, changed and entertained without having to actually move.
Kinda there already.
But does that mean society would be better off holding back some of its advances to make life 'harder' and make people appreciate what they have, as well as getting exercise?
Yes kinda there already. Well especially when you consider the very poorest urban neighborhoods where even people living at we call the poverty level have color cable TV, food stamps, nearly free utilities, free public education,free cell phones, free healthcare and free public transportation. I wonder why then are those not the happiest places in the world?!Kinda there already.
But does that mean society would be better off holding back some of its advances to make life 'harder' and make people appreciate what they have, as well as getting exercise?
WSS
-
Actually I think the 'kinda there already' are in the ghetto's. Lazy, dependent population. The middle class work. The rich work. Saw an interesting video of all the bars in an predominantly black neighborhood letting out. They flooded a local Indian run convenience store and just ate/drank whatever they wanted in the store without paying, then left. After throwing their unpaid garbage on the floor of course.
-
Presumably because of a lack of ability to escape the poverty, to do better than their parents - that's the dream, right? To rise above your birth station.
I wonder to what degree there is an ingrained hating of 'the man' as well - in spite of all the free stuff they get, people living on benefits are always complaining about the government. Their parents, too, probably complained, and they were raised in a culture of hate.
I wonder, also, how happy first generation immigrants are, when they arrive and get free stuff from the government, compared to the rape and genocide they fled.
-
Lack of ability to do better than their parents? After two three four five generations of welfare? Anyway in your utopia even if anybody wanted to better their lives how do you propose they do it? We only need 5% of the population to do anything so we can give free shit to the rest right? But ask yourself what people love... Like I said power and dominance. Those most fit a dominate the rest. Rape murder enslaved whatever you want to call it.
The very few people who do anything will actually be almost gods and the masses will have almost no chance to join that rag.
Holding sway over the rest of the proletariat will be about the only way to feel superior. Thank you science!

WSS
-
And I'd bet 1st generation immigrants from poverty stricken hell holes are probably happier here than there. The next generation didn't experience the hell hole so they don't give a shit. And those that did can prey upon the weak and soft members of society they have infiltrated.
-
I feel like the main industry would be IT/Comp Sci/Electrical Engineering though. We'd also still need scientists and engineers to keep driving technology forward.
I feel like the main industry would be IT/Comp Sci/Electrical Engineering though. We'd also still need scientists and engineers to keep driving technology forward.
Kinda of like what happend in Terminator 2?
-
Space man. We have to look to get off the planet or we're doomed. DOOMED!
-
Utopia to me would be.........
LIve until 90 and not care about ANYTHING when they die
-
I feel like the main industry would be IT/Comp Sci/Electrical Engineering though. We'd also still need scientists and engineers to keep driving technology forward.
Forward to what end? If agricultural technology has reached a point where we can easily feed the world, if energy is being produced in abundance, what exactly are we advancing towards?
Apart from, obviously, looking beyond this planet for habitats...
Forward to what end? If agricultural technology has reached a point where we can easily feed the world, if energy is being produced in abundance, what exactly are we advancing towards?
Apart from, obviously, looking beyond this planet for habitats...
Forward! Always forward!
Technology could always be improved. Improved efficiency, new forms of food/energy, solving the new problems that would be created, exploring space, etc
-

-
Would virtual reality sex and/or male birth control be available?
Without either, the sexual market will still be alive and well; with limited options people's intelligence would be spent on how to steal status, wealth in order to attract a smashing partner.
What do women want?
more.
And as long as men are willing to try to obtain that in exchange for booty, a utopia is impossible.
That's the market you need to consider more than anything.
Is sex the root of all evil? or is it money?
-
Just to be clear here, I'm not saying this is the perfect vision of the future. I'm saying that with technology advances making more people redundant, we seem to be heading towards a society where there will be high unemployment, with little demands for low-skilled jobs, and I'm just wondering what the pitfalls would be.
Everyone seems to be in agreement that entertaining the great unwashed is going to be the biggest problem - so do we need to find 'jobs' that need doing? Do we halt the advances of technology to keep people in jobs?
People will still want to travel the world, so they'll still need hotels and things, so people will still need to pay for things, so they'll still need an income. Or do they get 'travel credits' that allow them to travel wherever they like within a budget?
-
Sure people would want to do a lot of shit, Chris! Personally I'd like to fuck Paula Abdul. Of course if 85 percent or more of the population is on the dole then I guess what they want is going to be beyond their means.
WSS
-
Well, I like to travel, and I spend my money and free time on travelling - I may even make it to Ohio one day - and currently I'm able to do that. I'm not convinced by your ability to knock boots with paula abdul. Or kereem abdul jabaar. Or even abdul from the shop.
So, given that I currently have a legitimate ability to travel, and that ability might be taken away by advances in technology, should we hold back technology? Or maybe those travelling vouchers, or perhaps I get some token job that pays me some salary that I can spend on discretionary things?
-
Where will you get that job chris? We don't need humans anymore remember? And who will pay for your traverage voucher?
Yeah you and I like to spend our money that we earn to buy stuff we like. When we don't work anymore....?
I completely understand that everybody is going to want more than the guy sitting next to them.
just because you think it would be utopia doesnt change human nature.
sure everybody loves free shit but everybody also wants to be better then the next guy. Nobody wants to be equals.
WSS
-
Perhaps I should put the name of the thread in quotations to make it clear that this isn't really my vision of utopia.
And to be honest, I'm not so materialistic - I prefer travelling, as I said, over buying a new car or bigger house.
But that's the question, if technology makes us all redundant, shouldn't we have all the extra free time to do exactly what we want?
As for who pays - if we ever get to the point where intercontinental travel can be achieved quickly by vehicles using renewable energy then the transportation costs are negated by more efficient energy collecting. Then you just have the hotel and stuff to pay for.
I hope you realise I'm, just spitballing here, thinking about the practicalities of a future that I'll never see.
-
I completely understand what you're doing pal. I'm just tossing some shit back.
Materialism or not traveling the world is something of a luxury that a lot of people would like to indulge in. For instance, we were just looking at a Viking River cruise. Didn't get too deeply into it but close to 4000 bucks and I'm not sure if that's each. I also just got an estimate for swimming pool which comes in around 30 K and doesn't include concrete electric or gas lines.
But if 10 or 15 percent of the people are working to provide all the free shit I'd imagine they are being paid pretty well. How much do you think you would need to tax them to provide luxuries for the 85% of slugs with no visible means of support? That's just something you need to figure out.
WSS
-
I completely understand what you're doing pal. I'm just tossing some shit back.
Materialism or not traveling the world is something of a luxury that a lot of people would like to indulge in. For instance, we were just looking at a Viking River cruise. Didn't get too deeply into it but close to 4000 bucks and I'm not sure if that's each. I also just got an estimate for swimming pool which comes in around 30 K and doesn't include concrete electric or gas lines.
But if 10 or 15 percent of the people are working to provide all the free shit I'd imagine they are being paid pretty well. How much do you think you would need to tax them to provide luxuries for the 85% of slugs with no visible means of support? That's just something you need to figure out.
WSS
I completely understand what you're doing pal. I'm just tossing some shit back.
Materialism or not traveling the world is something of a luxury that a lot of people would like to indulge in. For instance, we were just looking at a Viking River cruise. Didn't get too deeply into it but close to 4000 bucks and I'm not sure if that's each. I also just got an estimate for swimming pool which comes in around 30 K and doesn't include concrete electric or gas lines.
But if 10 or 15 percent of the people are working to provide all the free shit I'd imagine they are being paid pretty well. How much do you think you would need to tax them to provide luxuries for the 85% of slugs with no visible means of support? That's just something you need to figure out.
WSS
At that point, the value of money is meaningless. Pay them more, tax them more, you basically just keep the money you need and give them a little of the remainder.
-
I completely understand what you're doing pal. I'm just tossing some shit back.
Materialism or not traveling the world is something of a luxury that a lot of people would like to indulge in. For instance, we were just looking at a Viking River cruise. Didn't get too deeply into it but close to 4000 bucks and I'm not sure if that's each. I also just got an estimate for swimming pool which comes in around 30 K and doesn't include concrete electric or gas lines.
But if 10 or 15 percent of the people are working to provide all the free shit I'd imagine they are being paid pretty well. How much do you think you would need to tax them to provide luxuries for the 85% of slugs with no visible means of support? That's just something you need to figure out.
WSS
At that point, the value of money is meaningless. Pay them more, tax them more, you basically just keep the money you need and give them a little of the remainder.
At that point, the value of money is meaningless. Pay them more, tax them more, you basically just keep the money you need and give them a little of the remainder.
sure but I need a number. If you plan to provide luxury for 85% of non working Americans then the percent of tax taken from the 15 that are going to be really really vital to society will have to be huge. And if 15 percent of society provides everything do you think they will be happy making a similar amount to the deadbeats? I sincerely doubt it.
WSS
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
